Top 20 Hyped Albums That Utterly Disappointed

Terrible, terrible album, probably the worst of its kind -- whatever that kind is. That said, I wouldn't say that Chinese Democracy disappointed me because I wasn't expecting anything. I wasn't following Axl at that time and I didn't know CD was released. When I found out it was, I downloaded it and listened to it in full one time which, of course, was the last.

I guess in general terms, the album was a disappointment to those who were expecting UYI III or AFD 2. The joke is on them, for thinking that Axl would be able to top those album without the members of REAL Guns N' Roses.

When I compare CD to UYI II I feel like it's a tie.

Civil War - Madagascar

14 Years - Better

Yesterdays - Street of Dreams

Heaven's Door - If the World

Get in the Ring - Riad n the Bedouins

Shotgun Blues - Scraped

Breakdown - Catcher in the Rye

Pretty Tied Up - IRS

Locomotive - Shackler's Revenge

So Fine - Sorry

Estranged - There was a Time

You Could Be Mine - Chinese Democracy

Don't Cry - This I Love

My World - Prostitute

Please don't do this ever again! Just don't do this.

I love Chinese democracy. I even bought 30 copies of the CD at Best Buy to give as gifts to friiendsand coworkers. They all liked it. and they were not diehard GNR fans by any means. I like every song. Madgascar, Better and This I love and There was a time, Sorry, chinese Democracy, CITR are my favs

You're an one of them, are you? I made a post awhile back describing what I perceive to be a trait among Axl die hards which entails, buying up multiple copies of Chinese Democracy and handing them out to various people. I find it strange behaviour.

:lol: maybe someone could EXTRAPOLATE the number of people who bought this album multiple times and use it for the total sales of CD. :facepalm:

It is the exact same riff! The riff that begins 0:02 (there are a couple of seconds of clanking drums first) on the Korn song is the same riff that begins 0:00 on 'Shackler's Revenge'! It is as obvious as day and night.

I'm sorry, I don't hear the same riff :-s

It is the exact same riff! The riff that begins 0:02 (there are a couple of seconds of clanking drums first) on the Korn song is the same riff that begins 0:00 on 'Shackler's Revenge'! It is as obvious as day and night.

I'm sorry, I don't hear the same riff :-s

Have I got to come online and sing it?

Duh-Du-Dee Duh-Duh-Dee

When I compare CD to UYI II I feel like it's a tie.

Civil War - Madagascar

14 Years - Better

Yesterdays - Street of Dreams

Heaven's Door - If the World

Get in the Ring - Riad n the Bedouins

Shotgun Blues - Scraped

Breakdown - Catcher in the Rye

Pretty Tied Up - IRS

Locomotive - Shackler's Revenge

So Fine - Sorry

Estranged - There was a Time

You Could Be Mine - Chinese Democracy

Don't Cry - This I Love

My World - Prostitute

Please don't do this ever again! Just don't do this.
I feel like I will. I do this. I will try not to though. No more lists! I already feel like doing another. Vertical text is so addictive.

I love Chinese democracy. I even bought 30 copies of the CD at Best Buy to give as gifts to friiendsand coworkers. They all liked it. and they were not diehard GNR fans by any means. I like every song. Madgascar, Better and This I love and There was a time, Sorry, chinese Democracy, CITR are my favs

Sorry but you're a lier. I mean honestly it's far fetched enough to think someone is so insane to buy 30 copies and then to claim that all 30 of the people you gave the album to liked it is just complete and utter fanboy zealot bullshit.
They all said it was good. Was it their absolute fav of all time. Probably not. A few of my friends adored THIS I LOVE and we all thought it would have been great in a TWILIGHT movie What can I say. I have great taste in friends

You are full of shit, sorry but it's true. You'd be lucky to even get a 60% approval rating on a Guns N Roses fan site yet all your cowokers and friends who are not GnR fans, all 30 of them to a man liked it. GTFO.

:facepalm:

To be fair, it's probably harder to find people who like CD on a GNR fan site, than it is to find young random rock music fans who enjoy it. GNR fans all have expectations of what a GNR album should sound like. Little Emo Annies friends probably had no expectations at all. Maybe she's exaggerating a bit, but honestly it's not that hard to believe that people enjoy the music that their friends recommend them. This I Love especially is the kind of music that emo girls tend to like.

The thought of a GNR song in a Twilight movie makes me throw up a little though. :tongue2:

• Like 1

And this band is up there with The Stones yeah? This band with a 5 album discography, one of thems a universally considered naff covers album and the last is a certified bag of shite...but they're still up there with The Stones. Hmmm. Sorry, yeah, it's 'subjective' isn't it? Subjective my fuckin' stinky arse.

• Like 1

Sorry but you're a lier. I mean honestly it's far fetched enough to think someone is so insane to buy 30 copies and then to claim that all 30 of the people you gave the album to liked it is just complete and utter fanboy zealot bullshit.
They all said it was good. Was it their absolute fav of all time. Probably not. A few of my friends adored THIS I LOVE and we all thought it would have been great in a TWILIGHT movie What can I say. I have great taste in friends

You are full of shit, sorry but it's true. You'd be lucky to even get a 60% approval rating on a Guns N Roses fan site yet all your cowokers and friends who are not GnR fans, all 30 of them to a man liked it. GTFO.

They liked some of the songs. Especially THIS I LOVE.

I hate Chinese Democracy. I haven't even bought a copy of it but got one from a friend. All my friends dislike it, and they are diehard GNR fans. I dislike almost every song. Shaklers, If the World, Scrapd, This I love and IRS are the most pathetic.

after reading back thru this thread I see what you did there with the emo Annie reference well played sir lmfbo.. Poor little emo Annie

Emo Annie is a skinny white bitch. She can handle whatever y'all throw at her. That's what SWB stands for.

Edited by Little EMO Annie

To be fair, it's probably harder to find people who like CD on a GNR fan site, than it is to find young random rock music fans who enjoy it. GNR fans all have expectations of what a GNR album should sound like. Little Emo Annies friends probably had no expectations at all. Maybe she's exaggerating a bit, but honestly it's not that hard to believe that people enjoy the music that their friends recommend them. This I Love especially is the kind of music that emo girls tend to like.

The thought of a GNR song in a Twilight movie makes me throw up a little though. :tongue2:

Actually it's not that far fetched. They used PATIENCE in that teen Romeo and Juliet themed zombie movie WARM BODIES. The same people who chose the music for the TWILIGHT movies chose the music for that movie.

It had to be a masterpiece because of the hype, gestation period and money invested, didn't it? It was a shock to the system to discover disposable numetal fodder like Scraped and Shackler's Revenge on there. ''This, was what Axl was working on, all this time?'' Total disbelief from yours truly!

I love Shacklers Revenge and rate it in my top GNR songs of all time. I was not shocked to discover a song like that on the album, nor do I consider it disposable or numetal.

Well then we differ. I cannot find a redeeming quality about the song and certainly believe it comes influenced by numetal, case in point,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhaZZNS2GqM

Which possesses the exact same riff as 'Shackler's Revenge'.

Not the exact same riff. Quite different actually. There's plenty of other reasons, but I'll highlight one... I don't have the interest in analysing them any further than what I've already done - Korn use natural harmonics, Gnr were using a whammy (octave) pedal. The rhythms are also quite different, both songs accompaniment sound worlds apart too.

I think Shacklers has more in common with heavy metal / industrial than anything like Nu metal.

I disagree. It is in a different key - I'll concede that point - but it is the same bloody riff!

Same riff. Same numetall Korny old bollocks.

Didn't Axl say he likes Limp biscuits?

I don't know how to play either off the top of my head, but if you listen you can basically get the jist. Korn riff - drop A tuning? pull off first fret (lowest string), open lowest string followed by natural harmonic, open string etc.. GnR - I think it's down a full step, with the low string tuned to B? or something mental like that. ANYWAY! the guns riff is 2 open strums on the low end followed by a atonal 'jarring' pluck of the two highest strings (alongside a octave pedal), repeated.

Now, when you break it down like that, it might not make any sense, but there's obvious differences. Rhythmically they are completely different (which I haven't even tried to explain as it's too complicated unless you understand rhythmic theory (note values etc. different rhythm types). The only similarity is both jarring 'squeals' and low tunings.

*not sure if there's gtr players around, but there's obviously a better way to explain this; but if you don't play gtr I think! this should be clear(ish).

I can play guitar and can play that riff on good god and it is exactly the same - yes, the key is altered and BF presses on a whammy pedal. Same Korny bollocks. What a load of cack, to witness Axl imitating bands this dreary.

You play guitar, good. Now play both riffs back to back. The similarities are few and far. And you should appreciate that they are completely different rhythms, do you really you not hear that?

Even if you slow korn down to Shacklers tempo and raise the key it still doesn't sound alike (mainly because of the rhythms, notes being different - which are both incredibly important when trying to prove similarities)

Anyway, you're not going to convince me otherwise, and you seem to really think there's a similarity; so let's agree to disagree :)

I hate Chinese Democracy. I haven't even bought a copy of it but got one from a friend. All my friends dislike it, and they are diehard GNR fans. I dislike almost every song. Shaklers, If the World, Scrapd, This I love and IRS are the most pathetic.

after reading back thru this thread I see what you did there with the emo Annie reference well played sir lmfbo.. Poor little emo Annie

Emo Annie is a skinny white bitch. She can handle whatever y'all throw at her. That's what SWB stands for.

I thought it stood for Sisters With Bollocks.

I thought it stood for Sisters With Bollocks.

You were wrong. word to the motherf***er. straight out of PICU.

• Like 1

Terrible, terrible album, probably the worst of its kind -- whatever that kind is. That said, I wouldn't say that Chinese Democracy disappointed me because I wasn't expecting anything. I wasn't following Axl at that time and I didn't know CD was released. When I found out it was, I downloaded it and listened to it in full one time which, of course, was the last.

I guess in general terms, the album was a disappointment to those who were expecting UYI III or AFD 2. The joke is on them, for thinking that Axl would be able to top those album without the members of REAL Guns N' Roses.

You've listened to it once? If I used that same system I would miss out on a lot of good/great music.

Some albums are not instant, some need a few play throughs. I didn't like Master of puppets the first time I put it on, but after a couple more spins I started to get into it song by song; It wasn't instant. Same thing for The Wall, 2112 and a lot of multi layered / complex albums.

I'm not saying CD is anyway near as good as Master (or the others mentioned), and you probably don't like Metallica. But, my point is that to write off an album after one listen leaves a lot of good stuff on the table. You may legitimately dislike the album but I think if you're a guns fan / rock can there's enough of both for you to at least get into 3 or4 songs on the record; songs that you might have glossed over on that first play though (maybe not).

Not trying to convert you, I know you're set in your ways. But I think it's important to listen to music more than once and then make up your mind...this goes for more bands than just gnr.

You've listened to it once? If I used that same system I would miss out on a lot of good/great music.

Some albums are not instant, some need a few play throughs. I didn't like Master of puppets the first time I put it on, but after a couple more spins I started to get into it song by song; It wasn't instant. Same thing for The Wall, 2112 and a lot of multi layered / complex albums.

I'm not saying CD is anyway near as good as Master (or the others mentioned), and you probably don't like Metallica. But, my point is that to write off an album after one listen leaves a lot of good stuff on the table. You may legitimately dislike the album but I think if you're a guns fan / rock can there's enough of both for you to at least get into 3 or4 songs on the record; songs that you might have glossed over on that first play though (maybe not).

Not trying to convert you, I know you're set in your ways. But I think it's important to listen to music more than once and then make up your mind...this goes for more bands than just gnr.

True but in the instances where you go back to something usually some signpost of quality draws you back, if some thing is just instantly a bag of shite well that stops the train in it's tracks. Not that i think that of Chi Dem, i think it's got it's moments...but to say it's anything better than average is giving it to much credit.

Sometimes it takes time to realize that you like something but I for my part know instantly when I dislike something. I think there's a difference.

By the way Nosaj said he listened to it IN FULL one time. Not that he listened to it once.

I don't think I have ever listened to it IN FULL except the day of it's release. Just not my cup of tea for the most part...

Edited by Free Bird

True but in the instances where you go back to something usually some signpost of quality draws you back, if some thing is just instantly a bag of shite well that stops the train in it's tracks. Not that i think that of Chi Dem, i think it's got it's moments...but to say it's anything better than average is giving it to much credit.

True, each of those albums either had something (that caught my ear) that drew me back, or constantly kept appearing on the best albums of all time lists so I went back gave them fresh ears.

When I first listened to chinese, I think I probably had the same reaction as most of you "Is this it?" I remember listening to If the world and thinking "what is this shit? are they using loops!!?" but, like you mentioned something caught my ear, and i went back and listened to it again. I didn't love the album at first, but it grew on me. Not saying it's perfect but it's probably a 6.5/7 out of ten.

Yeah, in full. Then I have listened to some of the tracks separately. Still, one of the worst albums I have ever listened to. Complete and absolute unbearable garbage, but I respect your opinion. Cool that you like it.