Rowan Atkinson divorced on grounds of his 'unreasonable behaviour'

Słash

Is there any real cockneys left?

Me you asshole -- which makes my dick one of the more sought after dicks in the 'hood...

Life is great!

:)

Also, Thornton Heath, Croydon NEVER chimed to the sound of bow bells. - My own father though, was.

So ow's your belly full of spots then?

You ain't a fuckin' cockney, you're South London, you're supposed to dislike cockneys, cockneys are your derby day competition, cockneys are 'them over there' to South Londoners.

If you asked anyone who was not a cockney they would describe you all as cockney. South London? what does this cack all mean to a northerner. You are all the same.

The church of st mary le bow has bells referred to as bow bells, the distance upon which they can be heard is considered the core of East London, hence cockneys are described as those born and bred within the sound of bow bells.

Would South London include Southwark and that area just over the Thames? That was actually outside the gates of London. They used to shut the gates at night. It lay out of the jurisdiction of the city; consequentially It was where the brothels, gambling houses and theatres appeared during Shakespeare's day - acting and theatres were very disreputable in the early modern era.

Me you asshole -- which makes my dick one of the more sought after dicks in the 'hood...

Life is great!

Also, Thornton Heath, Croydon NEVER chimed to the sound of bow bells. - My own father though, was.

You ain't a fuckin' cockney, you're South London, you're supposed to dislike cockneys, cockneys are your derby day competition, cockneys are 'them over there' to South Londoners.

If you asked anyone who was not a cockney they would describe you all as cockney. South London? what does this cack all mean to a northerner. You are all the same.

The church of st mary le bow has bells referred to as bow bells, the distance upon which they can be heard is considered the core of East London, hence cockneys are described as those born and bred within the sound of bow bells.

Yes I know that. But people who are not cockney do not give a toss about that minutiae.

• Like 1

Life is great!

Yes I know that. But people who are not cockney do not give a toss about that minutiae.

True, to your lot anyone south of Brummie is a fuckin' cockney :lol: People call me a cockney, which I'm not and can't possibly be, I'm on the outer reaches of London/south acceptability, as per the 'north of Watford' saying. It's just in the 50s loads of proper londoners all spread out to places like Essex and Watford and hence a great deal of the vocal inflections of cockney or the London accent have kind of spread but to be fair Watford always sounded a little like that.

I'm really interested in your accent (which apparently you dont have, not being a proper Geordie!), its come from my rewatching The Likely Lads since i was a kid...it's Geordie but it's sort of classic Geordie, without todays modern day Geordie Shore contemporary slang. I imagine it's what your older lot must've talked like, it really is interesting, it's not even so much like fuckin' Brookside. Dick Clement or Ian LeFrenais (the writers) one of em is from Whitley Bay so it's all I imagine pretty spot on stuff. It's amazing how attractive that accent sounds coming out of Sheila Fearne or your average Geordie 60s dolly bird as compared to your big fat modern Geordie slag. I had no idea the phrase 'though but' so so frequently tacked onto the end of sentences, though but :D

EDIT: sorry, Brookside was scouse weren't it?

Edited by Len B'stard

I have an odd romanticism for the North. It comes from watching old telly shows and lots and lots of those kitchen sink dramas of the very early 60s and late 50s. I wish more was made of them in terms of their importance to cinema, they are really are some brilliant, forward thinking movies, with a real point and a purpose.

Would South London include Southwark and that area just over the Thames? That was actually outside the gates of London. They used to shut the gates at night. It lay out of the jurisdiction of the city; consequentially It was where the brothels, gambling houses and theatres appeared during Shakespeare's day - acting and theatres were very disreputable in the early modern era.

Am thinking Southwark and Wandsworth from Bermondsey, Battersea, Clapham & Balham being the South London neighbourhoods that were anything Cockney.

Edited by Snake-Pit

You will see that London south of the Thames barely existed. But there is a little bit of urbanisation under the bridge. That is the whore ('bawdy houses' as they called them) houses, theatres (e.g. The Globe) and seedy boozers. Technically it was not London. It was a legalistic loop hole. So seedy premises and theatres were banned in London? Well we'll just open them up over the river.

article-1376557-0B9D182800000578-526_964

In those days London was a fairly compact city with distinct city walls. There was a curfew. So if you found yourself outside the city gates, you had to take some seedy lodgings outside. That is the sort of milieu which created William Shakespeare (ironically as Bill is now seen as high-brow).

Edited by DieselDaisy

You will see that London south of the Thames barely existed. But there is a little bit of urbanisation under the bridge. That is the whore ('bawdy houses' as they called them) houses, theatres (e.g. The Globe) and seedy boozers. Technically it was not London. It was a legalistic loop hole. So seedy premises and theatres were banned in London? Well we'll just open them up over the river.

In those days London was a fairly compact city with distinct city walls. There was a curfew. So if you found yourself outside the city gates, you had to take some seedy lodgings outside. That is the sort of milieu which created William Shakespeare (ironically as Bill is now seen as high-brow).

Harrumph good sir, but lest I remind ye that peasant boy Snake-Pit was born in 1986; In the time of Queen Elizabeth II and Michael Jackson.

The fields, looks pretty though, but now Southwark's home of The Shard (EU tallest @ 75 floors).

And that borough can get pretty anal about cigarette butts outside The Shard too.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Harrumph good sir, but lest I remind ye that peasant boy Snake-Pit was born in 1986; The time of Queen Elizabeth II and Michael Jackson.

The fields, looks pretty though, but now Southwark's home of The Shard.

And that borough get pretty anal about cigarette butts outside The Shard too.

And here is me expecting a nice discussion on Shakespeare's London!

Harrumph good sir, but lest I remind ye that peasant boy Snake-Pit was born in 1986; The time of Queen Elizabeth II and Michael Jackson.

The fields, looks pretty though, but now Southwark's home of The Shard.

And that borough get pretty anal about cigarette butts outside The Shard too.

And here is me expecting a nice discussion on Shakespeare's London!

I suppose the point I'm getting across is that (above the river) is the real London, the City of London. Imagine the city walled in and compact. The demarcation between Westminster and London is even made apparent in that map. What happened was, London burst out of its walls in the 18th century and began to swallow up all of these country towns. Dickens evokes the era of those country towns in Barnaby Rudge. Most of them were trading coach stations, where you would swap horses and have something to eat while commuting.

But now most of these merely give their name to a concept called 'Greater London' and have no resemblance to what they once were. Now they are Snakepit haunts, full of Chicken shops and dogging locations haha.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

I suppose the point I'm getting across is that (above the river) is the real London, the City of London. Imagine the city walled in and compact. The demarcation between Westminster and London is even made apparent in that map. What happened was, London burst out of its walls in the 18th century and began to swallow up all of these country towns. Dickens evokes the era of those country towns in Barnaby Rudge. Most of them were trading coach stations, where you would swap horses and have something to eat while commuting.

But now most of these merely give their name to a concept called 'Greater London' and have no resemblance to what they once were. Now they are Snakepit haunts, full of Chicken shops and dogging locations haha.

I've worked in The City of London enough times, trust me, I still get a weird vibe from the place :lol:

Much prefer City of Westminster 100 times more than The City of London.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Thats kind of what i was getting at when i called Thornton Heath provincial, though i wasn't aware of the historical background.

Whatever Dude, I'm from Immigration Street and I'm notorious for dogging in Soho...

:lol:

This is my Britain. :lol:

Apparently Darth Vader came from Croydon.

Well he is black so it is fitting!

Only the white dude in the suit... Got a photo of him at Tesco somewhere too.