Gilby Clarke: 'When I Was In The Band I Was A Band Member'

Gilby was brought in to replace Izzy for the UYI tours. At that time he wasn't intended as a regular band member, but just a temporary touring replacement. Then it turned out they all liked the guy, Axl included, and it seemed like he would become a regular band member. Then Axl decided he wouldn't write music with Gilby, and so after the touring, it was over.

No you weren't. Buckethead was more of a band member than you ever were

Sorry dude but Bucket was never part of these GNRs. That's a fact.
Actually he was in guns n roses from 2000-2004. He was on Chinese democracy even had some incredible solos on the song and album.. Gilby was a hired hand who was on 1 album of all covers.

Regardless of whether it was axls band or not and whether you want to admit it or not, bucket was at least given creative control and shown respect. Gilby wasn't. Gilby was given 3 weeks to learn all the gnr songs on the set list given his paycheck, then he was dumped aside.

Bucket was more of a member.. Fact

Bucket was member of a band that happened to be called GNR. Not to be confused with the classic band from the late 80s / early 90s.

That GNR Bucket was part of, was founded by Axl right after he quitted the classic band.

All that is pretty well documented and a fact. Not an opinion as you may think it is.

Please don't rewrite history

Such a technicality :D But I can imagine it is a nice comfort blanket for the mind for people who really, really, really want to make a separation between the lineup they loved and the lineups thereafter.

Serious question. Do you think somebody that disagrees with you can have a valid opinion on the subject you are disagreeing about?

I appreciate that you rarely throw out full scale insults. But when you disagree with somebody and you go into your "education" mode, you almost always throw in subtle little jabs like you did above. "Comfort blanket for the mind of people blah blah." Do you do that in a weird attempt to be funny? Or is it just to let the person know that you think their opinion is silly and not as valid as yours?

Actually he was in guns n roses from 2000-2004. He was on Chinese democracy even had some incredible solos on the song and album.. Gilby was a hired hand who was on 1 album of all covers.

Regardless of whether it was axls band or not and whether you want to admit it or not, bucket was at least given creative control and shown respect. Gilby wasn't. Gilby was given 3 weeks to learn all the gnr songs on the set list given his paycheck, then he was dumped aside.

So Bucket wasn't a hired hand?

He was a founding member, he had an equal share as Axl in control of the band and in financial matters of the band? He got an equal % of the profits that GnR made?

I know you ended your post by declaring it all as "Fact"......but it seems like you just stated your opinion.

Bucket was member of a band that happened to be called GNR. Not to be confused with the classic band from the late 80s / early 90s.

That GNR Bucket was part of, was founded by Axl right after he quitted the classic band.

All that is pretty well documented and a fact. Not an opinion as you may think it is.

Interesting point of view.

What, in your opinion, is GN'R's essence? What makes a group of people GN'R, and another group of people "not GN'R"?

Gilby was brought in to replace Izzy for the UYI tours. At that time he wasn't intended as a regular band member, but just a temporary touring replacement. Then it turned out they all liked the guy, Axl included, and it seemed like he would become a regular band member. Then Axl decided he wouldn't write music with Gilby, and so after the touring, it was over.

Such a technicality :D But I can imagine it is a nice comfort blanket for the mind for people who really, really, really want to make a separation between the lineup they loved and the lineups thereafter.

Serious question. Do you think somebody that disagrees with you can have a valid opinion on the subject you are disagreeing about?

I appreciate that you rarely throw out full scale insults. But when you disagree with somebody and you go into your "education" mode, you almost always throw in subtle little jabs like you did above. "Comfort blanket for the mind of people blah blah." Do you do that in a weird attempt to be funny? Or is it just to let the person know that you think their opinion is silly and not as valid as yours?

He was a founding member, he had an equal share as Axl in control of the band and in financial matters of the band? He got an equal % of the profits that GnR made?

I know you ended your post by declaring it all as "Fact"......but it seems like you just stated your opinion.

Buckethead was in a sense that he was given axls playbook and expected to work with it. But bottom line, he still wrote it his material and applied it to the songs axl wanted to write. Ultimately the album probably had to sound like what axl wanted, but he still contributed more than gilby. Gilby is a great guy, very talented, he just wasn't what axl wanted. Yes, they're all facts like it or not

Buckethead was in a sense that he was given axls playbook and expected to work with it. But bottom line, he still wrote it his material and applied it to the songs axl wanted to write. Ultimately the album probably had to sound like what axl wanted, but he still contributed more than gilby. Gilby is a great guy, very talented, he just wasn't what axl wanted. Yes, they're all facts like it or not

Nobody is disagreeing with the "facts" that Bucket contributed more to the band than Gilby did.

People are questioning the label of Gilby as a hired hand and not applying that same label to Bucket. Bucket was a hired hand. He fulfilled his contract and he left. Axl hired him, then hired somebody else to replace him. So technically, he was a hired hand - just like Gilby. Even though he contributed way more to GnR.

I'm actually one of the people who are disappointed that Axl more or less abandoned the Robin/Bucket combo. I think those guys pushed Axl to creative limits like nobody else ever has. We all know what Axl can do - SCOM, Estranged, Nov Rain, Catcher. But I think the R&B duo pushed him down a different path, and that path created songs like Better, Shackler's and Twat.

If I'm being completely honest, and had to choose the next GnR album and my choices of guitar duo's were R&B, DJ--Bumble, or Slash-Fortus........I'd much rather hear what Ax/Robin/Bucket came up with over what the other two groups created.

• Like 3

Nobody is disagreeing with the "facts" that Bucket contributed more to the band than Gilby did.

People are questioning the label of Gilby as a hired hand and not applying that same label to Bucket. Bucket was a hired hand. He fulfilled his contract and he left. Axl hired him, then hired somebody else to replace him. So technically, he was a hired hand - just like Gilby. Even though he contributed way more to GnR.

I'm actually one of the people who are disappointed that Axl more or less abandoned the Robin/Bucket combo. I think those guys pushed Axl to creative limits like nobody else ever has. We all know what Axl can do - SCOM, Estranged, Nov Rain, Catcher. But I think the R&B duo pushed him down a different path, and that path created songs like Better, Shackler's and Twat.

If I'm being completely honest, and had to choose the next GnR album and my choices of guitar duo's were R&B, DJ--Bumble, or Slash-Fortus........I'd much rather hear what Ax/Robin/Bucket came up with over what the other two groups created.

I can agree with your point completely. We can argue over who should have been or was or is a hired hand who knows.. At the end of the day axl owns the name so even if slash and duff return, they'd technically be his employees. I would imagine they would have specifics in their contract but, axl will clearly die with the name.

I agree about bucket and robin, to me that was the only guitar tandem with brain on drums, that had a shot at making a decent name out of the new guns n roses. I didn't like bumble at first but he did win me over eventually, maybe it was more about him being open and honest more than anyone else in the new lineup. Ashba I wanted to like but I gave up on that dream pretty quick for reasons we all know..

That is just bollocks and you know it is bollocks - you are too much the gnr historian. Shame on you.

Not re writing anything. The bands name is guns n roses. Always has been, always will be. That may upset people like you but regardless, axl has and always will have a legal right to perform under the name guns n roses. Slash and Duff gave him that right.

The point is, Buckethead had creative control to an extent and did it to an incredible ability. Gilby Clarke was a hired hand, like ashba and some others. But Buckethead created his own material recorded it and performed it live with guns n roses. Like it or not, Buckethead was more a part of guns n roses than gilby Clarke ever was. Not re writing history, just stating facts.

Again. The same name, a different band.

It's a fact that Gilby Clarke and Buckethead never were in the same band. As much as you or some Axl-fanatics like Soul Monster want it to be, old Guns N'Roses is factually another band than newGuns even if they share the same name and the same frontman (just in different shape). Buckethead contributed great guitarwork for NewGNR. But he has got nothing to do with the old band. Gilbys part in old Guns is, in fact, bigger than Bucketheads, because BHs part is zero.

Was Gilby somewhat essential to the old band? Hell no, he wasn't. Like you said he was a hired gun. As was BH for new Guns. Even if he contributed some stuff for CD he was nothing more or less than one if Axl's employees.

Interesting point of view.

What, in your opinion, is GN'R's essence? What makes a group of people GN'R, and another group of people "not GN'R"?

Never said they're not GNR. Always said they're not the same band. But to answer your question: contracts.

That is just bollocks and you know it is bollocks - you are too much the gnr historian. Shame on you.

Bro - don't tempt the beast!!!

You know he is going to respond with a 53 paragraph post now describing how Gilby wasn't even actually in the band and your screen name on here isn't diesel daisy.

• Like 1

No, in my opinion every part of what I wrote can be supported by quotes from band members from when the events took place. I actually read through the quotes before writing :shrugs:. Here's the synopsis:

Gilby was brought in to replace Izzy: When Izzy left last year to pursue his solo career, we realized that we either had to find a new guitarist in three weeks or cancel a bunch of gigs. We didn't want to cancel any shows, so we started searching. [slash, Nobember 1992].

It turned out they liked the guy: Gilby's awesome [Axl, 1991]. I can't be bothered to posts quots from the rest of the band, nor quotes that suggested he started to gel with the band and that it all looked good for the future.

Then Axl decided he didn't want to to write with the guy: We don’t know if we’re gonna be writing with Gilby or somebody else. We know we want to play with Gilby, but we’re not sure about the writing [Axl, 1992]. Axl just didn't wanna write with him [slash, 1995]. But I don't know if he was the good guy to write the new album with us. We did some songs together, but Axl thought it was not good enough [Matt, 1996].

So what exactly is bollockes? I will tell you what is bolllocks: People who claim things are bollocks just because it doesn't happen to fit with their own wishes about the history of GN'R ;)

You know he is going to respond with a 53 paragraph post

Evidence is the bane of the moron.

• Like 1

No, in my opinion every part of what I wrote can be supported by quotes from band members from when the events took place. I actually read through the quotes before writing :shrugs:. Here's the synopsis:

Gilby was brought in to replace Izzy: When Izzy left last year to pursue his solo career, we realized that we either had to find a new guitarist in three weeks or cancel a bunch of gigs. We didn't want to cancel any shows, so we started searching. [slash, Nobember 1992].

It turned out they liked the guy: Gilby's awesome [Axl, 1991]. I can't be bothered to posts quots from the rest of the band, nor quotes that suggested he started to gel with the band and that it all looked good for the future.

Then Axl decided he didn't want to to write with the guy: We don’t know if we’re gonna be writing with Gilby or somebody else. We know we want to play with Gilby, but we’re not sure about the writing [Axl, 1992]. Axl just didn't wanna write with him [slash, 1995]. But I don't know if he was the good guy to write the new album with us. We did some songs together, but Axl thought it was not good enough [Matt, 1996].

So what exactly is bollockes? I will tell you what is bolllocks: People who claim things are bollocks just because it doesn't happen to fit with their own wishes about the history of GN'R ;)

Yet we have evidence of Slash writing with Gilby for the follow up album to Illusion? Writing and demoing with a guy is not normally something you do when you see that person as a temp touring musician!

Yet we have evidence of Slash writing with Gilby for the follow up album to Illusion? Writing and demoing with a guy is not normally something you do when you see that person as a temp touring musician!

"He was BROUGH IN to replace Izzy [...] then it turned out they all liked the guy."

There is nothing in that quote that contradicts with Slash later starting to write with Gilby...

Theres an interview from Axl about a month after Gilby joined the band where he said he didnt know if Gilby would be a part of writing with the band in the future. Its on youtube for your listening pleasure. Axl interview-Rockline '91.

Axl speaks a load of twaddle. He was saying he wanted to release a trilogy in 2002 - what came of that one wonders?

Theres an interview from Axl about a month after Gilby joined the band where he said he didnt know if Gilby would be a part of writing with the band in the future. Its on youtube for your listening pleasure. Axl interview-Rockline '91.

Axl speaks a load of twaddle. He was saying he wanted to release a trilogy in 2002 - what came of that one wonders?

U dont have to like what he says. It just wasnt all of a sudden after the UYI tour that Axl didnt wanna write with Gilby. Theres more than one instance of him talking about it prior to to '94.

What kind of band operates like that, where you have an incoming replacement, advertise him as member and not a back musician (case in point, TSI booklet), on the proviso of (does best Axl impression) ''we are not really sure we want to work with him''?

So what in what I wrote was bollocks and why should I be ashamed of having written it?

My point is Slash recruited Gilby as a permanent member and disagreed with his firing. Matt and Duff seemed to regard Gilby as such also. It is only ginger pubes who suddenly decided that he had a problem with the guy. Ironically Pawnshop Guitars is a superior set of songwriting than CD so, another classic example of Axl shooting himself in the foot.

What kind of band operates like that, where you have an incoming replacement, advertise him as member and not a back musician (case in point, TSI booklet), on the proviso of (does best Axl impression) ''we are not really sure we want to work with him''?

Have you seen the way Guns N' Roses has operated? Haha. Im not saying its how a band should operate, but facts are facts.

You know he is going to respond with a 53 paragraph post now describing how Gilby wasn't even actually in the band and your screen name on here isn't diesel daisy.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Edited by Free Bird

Every point soulmonster made is completely true, get over it, it's obvious that axl wouldn't wanna right songs with gilby (a heavily blues influenced rock player), just look at Chinese?

So you agree Axl might change his opinion sometimes? In case of a reunion he seems to be willing to work with another blues influenced guitarist, right?

BTW we're talking here about a time almost 15 years before the release of CD. A time before Zakk Wylde, another heavily blues influenced guitarist was mentioned to join the band. A time when SLASH was part of that fucking band.

But maybe I just didn't see the sarcasm in your post. :lol:

Edited by Free Bird

In a reunion he's willing to work with a blues influenced guitarist, 100% true, but we're talking about writing here aren't we freebird?

Slash says in his book they reconvened in '94 to start writing again for the next gnr record, and the next gnr record was Chinese democracy, with songs on it that gilby was never going to write, and it was also eventually proven that slash was never going to write them either. No sarcasm involved my friend