Best Collections/Compilations/Greatest Hits albums

Len Cnut

Sort of like how you can't find a Gary Glitter fan for love or money these days. Someone must've been buying the fuckin' albums, he sold a shitload...but no, no one apparently ever liked him :lol:

I think Gary Glitter fans were all middle aged housewives and they've just slipped their Gary Glitter 7" singles into Rod Stewart sleeves and will slip their Rod vinyls into their Phil Collins sleeves when it comes out that Rod was noncing as well.

If you stop playing music because of the artists depravity then you'd be left with Cliff Richard to listen to. Or maybe not even him anymore.

Rod ain't no nonce, Rod is an arch bushman, there ain't a man in this world called Rod that don't get a bit of the other :lol:

2 pages in and still no mention of Journey's Greatest Hits?

Good call I love that hits package, especially the re-release of it that includes When You Love A Woman.

Up for debate is whether or not the second Journey Greatest Hits is needed. I personally like it because it's got stuff like Stone In Love and Feeling That Way/Anytime on it.

Good call I love that hits package, especially the re-release of it that includes When You Love A Woman.

Up for debate is whether or not the second Journey Greatest Hits is needed. I personally like it because it's got stuff like Stone In Love and Feeling That Way/Anytime on it.

I agree that I like it, but it doesn't have the same impact as GH1. I mean you listen to GH1, and literally every song on that is an arena rock staple that everyone will know.

Johnny Cash - Legend. One of the few collections that managed to get stuff from all his different labels. Starting back in the 50s with Sun Records.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - What Hits!?

CCR - Chronicle Vol 1 and 2.

Death Row Greatest Hits. Pac, Snoop, Dre, Nate Dogg, Dogg Pound. The gang's all here! It's great but I say just go ahead and get Chronic, Doggystyle, Dogg Food, All Eyez on Me and Makaveli.

There's a few songs I didn't like on GH1 that I took off of GH2, moved Only The Young towards the end.

The reason I hate Hits albums is not out of some kind of music snobbery, but out of all the artists and bands I dig, very few of them have hits albums which actually include their best material. Generally speaking, the songs trotted out to radio and shoved down the general publics throats are seldom an artists best work. What Beatles fan would pick Hey Jude or Yellow Submarine over Mother Natures Son or Julia? Everyone knows on here I'm a massive Prince nut, and most of his best known songs are utter dog shit. Stuff like Cream, The Most Beautiful Girl In The World, Raspberry Beret.... it actually pisses me off that there's people out there who think that's what his music sounds like, but unfortunately, most of his best stuff was never released as a single. What radio station is going to play a 10.28sec psychedelic orchestral masterpiece like Crystal Ball? A fucking crime, I know, but that's life.

Anyone with a discerning taste for music will want to dig the album tracks to get to the real gems. There are possibly a few exceptions to this rule, I mean who wants to hear what an Eric Clapton album track sounds like? Not me, that's for sure. But generally speaking, if an artist or a band are worth listening to, I'll get the actual albums.

I'm a huge Beatles fan and I prefer Hey Jude and Yellow Submarine over Mother Nature's Son and Julia.

The reason I hate Hits albums is not out of some kind of music snobbery, but out of all the artists and bands I dig, very few of them have hits albums which actually include their best material. Generally speaking, the songs trotted out to radio and shoved down the general publics throats are seldom an artists best work. What Beatles fan would pick Hey Jude or Yellow Submarine over Mother Natures Son or Julia? Everyone knows on here I'm a massive Prince nut, and most of his best known songs are utter dog shit. Stuff like Cream, The Most Beautiful Girl In The World, Raspberry Beret.... it actually pisses me off that there's people out there who think that's what his music sounds like, but unfortunately, most of his best stuff was never released as a single. What radio station is going to play a 10.28sec psychedelic orchestral masterpiece like Crystal Ball? A fucking crime, I know, but that's life.

Anyone with a discerning taste for music will want to dig the album tracks to get to the real gems. There are possibly a few exceptions to this rule, I mean who wants to hear what an Eric Clapton album track sounds like? Not me, that's for sure. But generally speaking, if an artist or a band are worth listening to, I'll get the actual albums.

I'm a huge Beatles fan and I prefer Hey Jude and Yellow Submarine over Mother Nature's Son and Julia.

Then you sir, have shit taste.

lolok

lolok

Seriously though, Yellow Submarine over Mother Natures Son? You gotta be yanking my chain, surely?

Thin Lizzy Live at the BBC...........OOP now and selling for ridiculous prices on the secondary market but a must for Thin Lizzy fans

http://www.amazon.com/Live-at-BBC-Box-Set/dp/B005N6D99A/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1447883632&sr=1-1&keywords=thin+lizzy+bbc+box+set&pebp=1447883636735&perid=19BXDTKVB41NDFHZR8R5

The Cult "Rare Cult" and "Rare CUlt Demo Sessions" Box sets......They put out two big box sets of demos and unreleased songs which are outstanding. You

could put together a couple of albums just from the unreleased songs which are quite good. The demos are also cool in that you get to hear alternate takes which are very different then the final cuts. I also loved the fact that many were stripped down with little or no overdubbing so you can really hear Billy Duffy's playing. Again these are long OOP so they can be expensive but you can get deals on eBay if you are patient

http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Cult-Demo-Sessions/dp/B000071WDQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1447883936&sr=1-3&keywords=the+cult+rare+cult&pebp=1447883945041&perid=11HSVYWFYX7B1ER6KKN1

http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Cult-Ltd-Ed-6CD/dp/B0000516TU/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1447883936&sr=1-1&keywords=the+cult+rare+cult&pebp=1447883962980&perid=11HSVYWFYX7B1ER6KKN1

Edited by classicrawker

lolok

Seriously though, Yellow Submarine over Mother Natures Son? You gotta be yanking my chain, surely?

Not a big fan of Yellow Submarine (except the movie), but I like it more than Mother Nature's Son.

• 2 weeks later...

I find myself listening to them a few times, while saying to myself ''yes, this is great'', then never listening to them again. There are usually a few alternative things that leap out like George Harrison's stuff on the third Anthology and the Cheap Trick versions of Double Fantasy (which I prefer over the released versions). Jagger's version of I Got the Silver is interesting.

I'm a bit of a bitch for The Beatles, i love listening to that shit, feels like you're in Abbey Road

'Pauls broken a glass, broken a glass, broken a glass a glass a glass, he's broken' :lol:

'ready when you are Mr Martin!'

In Spite of All the Danger is worth the price of admission alone, i wish they'd recorded that proper like they did with One After 909.

Edited by Len B'stard