Anyone considered the possibility of Axl releasing CD2 with Slash on board?

I mean, i see why people find the concept interesting, but what you'd end up with wouldn't be CD2. CD has an incredibly unique sound, something that Slash and Duff wouldn't output creatively, it's not their sound.

As a fan of Chinese Democracy, I'd rather see Axl's uncompromised vision come to fruition with players he brought in especially for the project, then rerecord and thus alter what he'd been working towards this whole time, with old members.

If he's going to record with Slash and Duff, let it be something fresh that they can all input their creative ideas to.

I said this so long ago. The reason why we don't have a follow up to CD is because Axl wants Slash on it. And if Axl has so much material ready to go like everyone seems to claim then it would be really easy to use those song ideas and quickly mash together an album with say 8 CD2 songs, 2 Slash songs and 2 full band collaborations. If they really wanted to do that they could pull it off no problem. It would all come down to how much Axl is willing to let the other guys have their input and put their stamp on the CD2 songs. You can't just have Slash record a solo or something. You'd have to let the reunited band rerecord the songs and stay relatively true to the versions Axl had in mind but with a true GnR sound. Like real drums for example and fuck the bullshit Chris Pitman crap. Guns N Roses is a rock band. Act like it.

Edited by Bono

I mean, i see why people find the concept interesting, but what you'd end up with wouldn't be CD2. CD has an incredibly unique sound, something that Slash and Duff wouldn't output creatively, it's not their sound.

As a fan of Chinese Democracy, I'd rather see Axl's uncompromised vision come to fruition with players he brought in especially for the project, then rerecord and thus alter what he'd been working towards this whole time, with old members.

If he's going to record with Slash and Duff, let it be something fresh that they can all input their creative ideas to.

That's true for CD but we don't know what Fortus wrote or what Freese wrote in the CD sessions. Axl wanted Slash on 3 songs, maybe they are just Axl piano demos at this point. Completely open for Slash to come in and finish.

Well the thing is if Axl allows Slash and wants Slash to work on it then it hasn't been compromised and it's still Axl's vision. If he wants Slash tow ork on it than whoever workd on it in the past did not bring his vision to frution. I don't understand why some of you cling to this idea that Slash being involved means Axl is throwing his integrity and vision by the way side. There is no CD2 until there is CD2 so........ whoever is on it when it's releasd is in FACT the vision Axl had for it, whether that's Slash, Buckethead, DJ or Bieber. I mean shit some of you would prefer Justin Bieber on the album if it meant Axl didn't "cast aside" his vision for Slash to be involved. .

• Like 2

That's the main reason CD2 isn't in our hands. CD1 was a failure so you have to change the sound of that era by bringing Slash back and re-writing the music. Axl gives him lyrics and melody and Slash does the rest. Throw in some nice base lines from Duff and it's going to be awesome!

And some cowbell!

Right about changing the sound, CDII needs a real main guitarist, like Slash. We need to know who's playing what.

I'd've loved to've been a fly on the wall during the reconcilliation between these two, just out of pure curiosity. I wonder who made the first move, i wonder if it was one sided, I just can't see Axl conceding or giving an inch or like...i dunno, just seems odd, it's a really curious thing.

The cynic in me suggests it was something like 'look, we're getting old and there's a few quid in this, if we can get over the bollocks there's a tidy pension in this for us' :lol:

It's better than no new music but I would still prefer a more progressive guitarist, like Buckethead. Slash sounds a bit dated to me and I am not sure how it would fit with the music. But who knows? Maybe it would be great?

Listen to World on Fire or any of Slash's albums as a matter of fact, it has some amazing guitar stuff.

• Like 1

imo nugnr fans are more interested than Axl in cd2.... I mean, Axl is an old man, i don't think he gives a ratass about songs he recorded almost 20 years ago, songs about his breakup with Stephanie Seymour and about how evil were Slash and Duff... CD2 should never be released.

I'd've loved to've been a fly on the wall during the reconcilliation between these two, just out of pure curiosity. I wonder who made the first move, i wonder if it was one sided, I just can't see Axl conceding or giving an inch or like...i dunno, just seems odd, it's a really curious thing.

The cynic in me suggests it was something like 'look, we're getting old and there's a few quid in this, if we can get over the bollocks there's a tidy pension in this for us' :lol:

If you read Morrissey's book, did it come across there would never be a Smiths reunion and pretty clear about why?

Maybe there aren't gory details and Axl built up a lot of hate over time towards Slash, but there were always people in the middle that might have driven the wedge between them, esp. lawyers in "play to win" mode. A lot of the worst band feuds have come out in books, magazine articles, etc and the one thing they have in common is how vicious lawyers can be. That's the only reason to call it a "divorce" but any musician that said they wouldn't do it for money is lying, unless they're doing a one off and not making any money off the show.

Why would Slash be the key for new stuff to be released? Axl has always been the problem. It seems to me that he's insecure, that he doesn't want to release anything CD-related after the failure of his 2008 album. And if the so-called follow up is just as awful as that album, no, thank you, please never release anything.

You can put five lead guitar players in a studio, along with 30 drummers and six bassists. It wouldn't change a thing. Axl is the one who doesn't or can't release anything, so,

there wont be any new music.

Is pretty much spot on.

Why would Slash be the key for new stuff to be released? Axl has always been the problem.

Perhaps the label made it clear to Axl that they weren't interested in releasing another GNR album without Slash's input. Axl's version of the band has always had a limited appeal, whereas if the label could get Slash on board, then they might be hoping that fans of the original lineup may climb out of the woodwork and that it'd make a new GNR release a viable option financially and commercially.

It's better than no new music but I would still prefer a more progressive guitarist, like Buckethead. Slash sounds a bit dated to me and I am not sure how it would fit with the music. But who knows? Maybe it would be great?

Listen to World on Fire or any of Slash's albums as a matter of fact, it has some amazing guitar stuff.

It's become a bit stale and dated. Just my two cents.

I know it's highly unlikely, but just as a hypothetical scenario, imagine a GNR reunion tour coinciding with the release of CD2, do you think it could work? Duff has played CD material live before, so it's not as if all the original guys are morally against playing NuGNR material.

Slash could add his solos and guitar work to the songs Axl already has, and perhaps add two of his own tracks to the mix and then put it out. Granted, it'd be a bit strange, almost like Slash being a guest musician on a GNR album, but perhaps it could be legitimised if Axl included even just two Slash compositions on the record.

I personally think this would be the best of both worlds. Reunionists get to see Slash/Axl/Duff back together again in a live setting, and those of us who have been pining for new music from GNR finally get our wish.

Nope

This is highly unlikely

Even more unlikely than a reunion with Steven and Izzy on board

Yes but what about this:

Midnight release on cassette and laserdisc at Tower Records and Sears

Side 1

Thyme (feat Slash updated talkbox)

The General (Alice Cooper on bass)

Chinese Democracy (Brain remix)

Side 2

Mama Kin (feat Jimmy Page on sub bass)

Chris Pittmans drum solo

Oklahoma

I mean, we can all agree that this is the absolute winner. We're talking Grammy-winning, always on mtv, world tour level.

• Like 4

I'd love it as much as anyone but who are we kidding, will people really want them to open with any song live that isn't it's so easy or welcome to the jungle?

Yes but what about this:

Midnight release on cassette and laserdisc at Tower Records and Sears

Side 1

Thyme (feat Slash updated talkbox)

The General (Alice Cooper on bass)

Chinese Democracy (Brain remix)

Side 2

Mama Kin (feat Jimmy Page on sub bass)

Chris Pittmans drum solo

Oklahoma

I mean, we can all agree that this is the absolute winner. We're talking Grammy-winning, always on mtv, world tour level.

lol "on mtv" yeah since after that they'll surely announce a reality show following the band all over the world and showing how mature enough they are to work through their drama in a staged setting like that.. Go mtv!!!

Jokes aside I do like the thought process..

So...Is Slash lying when he says 2016 if for his next solo record? One of my biggest hangups about this hole thing are his comments regarding this. Thoughts?

Its tricky. I can only chalk it up to Slash never wanting to stop working.

Listen, people will say Slash lies all the time. I don't think thats true. I think he's a wishful thinker. And by all accounts he gets things done. I think when he says he's planning his next solo album, it means he's writing music, which he's always doing, and he's maybe booking studio time. Its not like an album's done. They aren't even finished with this tour yet. I don't think Myles has lyrics to the NEXT album already. I think Slash has music, and his hope is to get it done ASAP, which is the way he likes to work. But that could get changed, since you know, nothing has actually happened yet.

What gets tricky is then you have trustworthy people like Slash2Baz saying "he's definitely doing this. Its him #1 priority and all he talks about" (I'm paraphrasing of course, but from looking at that thread Slash2Baz has been pretty clear those plans are still definitely on over a reunion). So in that case it gets to "is Slash just saying he's working on an album and continuing business as usual to keep GNR a secret?" "Or is none of it real and Slash has just chosen to ignore it." I don't know what to think of all of that. Honestly, its not one of my biggest hangups. I personally think stuff about Sorum for no reason not being included is a much bigger hole in all these theories, but I do get where Slash's plans are questionable as well. I truly don't know, and based off what we've been told, I have to just assume Slash is being optimistic about an album in 2016, which is something that could absolutely change at any minute if he decided to do something else. Maybe what also factors into it not being a hangup for me is that isn't next year a designated Alter Bridge year? He just did a full year with Slash so doesn't Myles go back with them next year? So thats just one of those things that seems it would work more perfect for GNR than a next solo album.

I'm just spitballing everything here.

• Like 1

So...Is Slash lying when he says 2016 if for his next solo record? One of my biggest hangups about this hole thing are his comments regarding this. Thoughts?

Its tricky. I can only chalk it up to Slash never wanting to stop working.

Listen, people will say Slash lies all the time. I don't think thats true. I think he's a wishful thinker. And by all accounts he gets things done. I think when he says he's planning his next solo album, it means he's writing music, which he's always doing, and he's maybe booking studio time. Its not like an album's done. They aren't even finished with this tour yet. I don't think Myles has lyrics to the NEXT album already. I think Slash has music, and his hope is to get it done ASAP, which is the way he likes to work. But that could get changed, since you know, nothing has actually happened yet.

What gets tricky is then you have trustworthy people like Slash2Baz saying "he's definitely doing this. Its him #1 priority and all he talks about" (I'm paraphrasing of course, but from looking at that thread Slash2Baz has been pretty clear those plans are still definitely on over a reunion). So in that case it gets to "is Slash just saying he's working on an album and continuing business as usual to keep GNR a secret?" "Or is none of it real and Slash has just chosen to ignore it." I don't know what to think of all of that. Honestly, its not one of my biggest hangups. I personally think stuff about Sorum for no reason not being included is a much bigger hole in all these theories, but I do get where Slash's plans are questionable as well. I truly don't know, and based off what we've been told, I have to just assume Slash is being optimistic about an album in 2016, which is something that could absolutely change at any minute if he decided to do something else. Maybe what also factors into it not being a hangup for me is that isn't next year a designated Alter Bridge year? He just did a full year with Slash so doesn't Myles go back with them next year? So thats just one of those things that seems it would work more perfect for GNR than a next solo album.

I'm just spitballing everything here.

Yeah, it could be similar to how Ron & Tommy had their solo thing going more or less at the same time Guns was "active". If GNR isn't touring until summer or late 2016, why not record another solo album this spring? Who knows?