Anyone considered the possibility of Axl releasing CD2 with Slash on board?

If a reunion happens, it would be the end of the Chinese Democracy era.

They could reuse songs from the vault, but it will end up under a different name.

But it wouldn't be bad. You get some Axl ballads, and some Duff / Slash rock n roll songs. Nothing wrong with that and it sure is beter than nothing.

I know it's highly unlikely, but just as a hypothetical scenario, imagine a GNR reunion tour coinciding with the release of CD2, do you think it could work? Duff has played CD material live before, so it's not as if all the original guys are morally against playing NuGNR material.

Slash could add his solos and guitar work to the songs Axl already has, and perhaps add two of his own tracks to the mix and then put it out. Granted, it'd be a bit strange, almost like Slash being a guest musician on a GNR album, but perhaps it could be legitimised if Axl included even just two Slash compositions on the record.

I personally think this would be the best of both worlds. Reunionists get to see Slash/Axl/Duff back together again in a live setting, and those of us who have been pining for new music from GNR finally get our wish.

I'd rather they finished the album Izzy, Slash, Duff and Matt started before Izzy bailed on what became Velvet Revolver. Or do something truly epic and release CD2 with the reunion lineup and the VR songs with Axl in consecutive months leading up to a reunion tour.

Edited by jmapelian

Ugh, what an awful idea. Slash can make his own music. He doesn't need to take CD leftovers written by someone else that couldn't make the cut on the first album. No, if there was a reunion and new music was a consideration, I'd much rather it be a collaboration from those band members, not some guys for hire who could never come close to the greatness of the classic lineup. It's a formula that worked, it's what made them legendary, and they are the ones gave us the best music under the GNR brand that has stood the test of time and continues to get played on the radio almost 30 years later each and every day.

• Like 1

Ugh, what an awful idea. Slash can make his own music. He doesn't need to take CD leftovers written by someone else that couldn't make the cut on the first album. No, if there was a reunion and new music was a consideration, I'd much rather it be a collaboration from those band members, not some guys for hire who could never come close to the greatness of the classic lineup. It's a formula that worked, it's what made them legendary, and they are the ones gave us the best music under the GNR brand that has stood the test of time and continues to get played on the radio almost 30 years later each and every day.

Chinese will stand the test of time I think. For me personally. CD ll "leftovers" are songs you've never heard with Axl vocals on them.

Slash said the vocals on Chinese are great. Why start from scratch if EVERYONE can just throw their ideas into the mix. Old and new. It doesn't really matter given the fact no one has ever heard these ideas besides insiders and possibly hoarders.

I do think that on some level, it's best to leave CD ll untouched, but only cause it's a finished album according to Axl and the whole purpose of it does go against any additions from Slash and Duff in a way.

The quality is definitely there in Chinese. The influences are different and more diverse, but whatever Axl will choose to do next, one thing I can say is that personally as a fan, I'm not too worried about the quality of the product, only if he'll actually release something soon.

Edited by Rovim

I hope CD2 will be out as it is, cause I think those guys who were in it deserves to have a better legacy than being just a cover band playing songs form AFD.

Besides, if it's already so difficult to get Axl to release an album when it's technically already done, going back to the songs to add bits to it will just delay the album for another few good years, which by then, the reunion line-up would already have come up with an album with completely new materials within that very same time span.

Let's just hope we'll at least see the day of light of any new materials in 2016.

This should end this thread

Here we go again. Checkmate and The General and whatever else BH and Robin did are the greatest things ever and Slash should be grateful to lick the spit off their boots.

Dude, no one fucking cares about whatever garbage BH and Robin out together under orders from their boss. Not even BH and Robin care.

• Like 2

Here we go again. Checkmate and The General and whatever else BH and Robin did are the greatest things ever and Slash should be grateful to lick the spit off their boots.

Dude, no one fucking cares about whatever garbage BH and Robin out together under orders from their boss. Not even BH and Robin care.

I care, which is enough for me. What do I care if anyone else cares? who cares?

THIS.

Rovim, your profile pic should not have a legend like George Harrison.

Slash didn't write everything for GNR. Far from it. So yes he can write his own music but GNR is something else. There's a lot more strings attached, mostly Axl.

But I feel like if Izzy, Slash, Duff got serious they could produce something Axl would get on board with. And I think Slash could bring himself to work on some Axl songs.

So I think the idea that Slash is beyond working on CD era songs is flawed because Axl will always have something he wants Slash to work on. So why not work on CD era songs instead wait 10 years for Axl's next song. In fact Slash coming in now is ideal, the songwriting is done, all he has to do is play lead and write a couple songs which only takes him a few months.

This should end this thread

"Didn't make the cut on the first album" I can understand why someone would say that, but when you hear the explanation it makes sense... at least it does to me.

CD songs were chosen because they were the less experimental songs from the batch, they had some remaining elements of the old Guns sound, while obviously branching out and taking on new influences.

The rest of the material was deemed ready for release too, but! either management, the label, or Axl decided that the 2nd batch of material would be too far out for old guns fans without some sort of warm up album - CD was essentially that album.

These songs aren't considered to be b-sides to CD.

Now! I haven't heard the next batch of songs, maybe the songs aren't that great, maybe they are in-fact too, far out; even for those who enjoyed CD... but maybe it's a great selection of songs. I'm willing to roll the dice as I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of songs on there that I'll enjoy.

Said it a hundred times, but I don't care. Doesn't matter what the line up is, the album needs to come out. I've also said that I'm not sure if the CD era material would be suitable, or even remotely close to the right album for a reunited GNR. We don't know what directions guns would have went in (had classic guns not split), but I'm gonna guess that Slash and co weren't about to write Better or If the world anytime soon.

Yeah, it could be similar to how Ron & Tommy had their solo thing going more or less at the same time Guns was "active". If GNR isn't touring until summer or late 2016, why not record another solo album this spring? Who knows?

The thing is that wouldn't be possible. Or I mean, it is, but its highly unlikely. A new record this spring BEFORE a GNR tour would mean they are substantially into the process of making a record, which there's no evidence they are. There are PLANS to make a record, but they'd need more than plans to have one out for before the spring. What appears to be the gist is LATE 2016 is when a new Slash record MIGHT come, if all things go according to plan and Myles gets his lyrics finished and recorded by then, all while working with Alter Bridge. So thats a tall order in itself.

The hole you are mentioning with Slash's plans would be if he's committed to a new record, he wouldn't have time for GNR at all next year cause he'd already be doing something else. I think the reason I don't consider that a hinderance YET is because nothing is actually in motioning. If he were already in the process of making a new record, I'd say his participation in GNR seems unlikely. But because he's not, I see stuff like "why no Sorum?" as more fishy than "Slash says he's busy".

See what I mean?

I think I see what you mean. So, if Slash goes ahead and starts recording an album this spring and we still haven't heard anything on the reunion front, I think it would be safe to say that it's not happening, at least until sometime in 2017. I can't see Slash simply releasing an album an artistic outlet and not touring the hell out of it like he did for the last 3.

In my mind, it's important to remember that Slash can record an album much more quickly than Axl. Slash could easily track his guitars, the bass and drums, and be ready for vocals in a month. Plus, Slash has already said he won't be touring because Myles has Altarbridge. Here's a hypothetical timeline that seems logical to me...

GN'R announce a reunion tour for summer 2016

Slash finishes recording the music for new solo album. Possibly Myles does the vocals before his Alterbridge tour

Slash does his movie

Rehearsals for tour start late Spring

GN'R tour. Possibly write tunes while on the road.

New album?

• 2 weeks later...

Finck did the Slash like solos on CD, maybe Slash can do those over?

I hope not. His solos on CD are great, and he said some of his favorite guitar moments are not on Chinese. And CD ll is done, been done for a while according to Axl. Release it as is and just...

Let it be.

The other side of it of course is that I think Slash can't really do harm musically in Guns. Not really.

And I trust Axl to release a quality album.

But why CD ll? Axl can work on an album with Duff and Slash (perhaps even Izzy as well) after he releases the second half of Chinese.

I actually wouldn't mind having Slash on CD ll. I think it could work musically, not sure about lyrics and production though. If it's just a few solos maybe it will be cool.

But the album has been completed for years now. I struggle to find a really good reason to tinker with it, even if it's Slash. Release CD ll, and than work on other material is more logical in a way. thematically speaking as well in the case of CD ll.

Edited by Rovim

If CD II is in fact more of a self titled record then maybe getting a few Slash solos on the more illusion type songs like SOD and Catcher, but then getting one old school AFD style rocker from Slash and one acoustic style Izzy song as another single. Then still some Finck and Bucket songs. Hit all markets and make a definitive statement.