Songs from CD that the reunion lineup should play

I agree with the people who say none at all...unless they could somehow attempt Catcher In The Rye, in the style of the Brian May demo, which was absolutely beautiful, and not the noodly garbage that ended up on the album. I bet Slash could make it sound comparable to that version.

I'd be interested in hearing what Slash can do on Madagascar.

If Fortus is there, then he will do that weird non melodic solo which he does.

I think if he just did without the octave pedal, it would sound a lot less discordant. Or a different/better setting on the pedal.

I don't know if its been said, and I'm afraid if I start a separate thread then it would get locked, but:

If they played ANYTHING from Chinese Democracy, I personally think all of their solo work has to be on the table. You can't just play Chinese and say "well its Guns N Roses so it fits" cause its only GNR in name. If you play Chinese, I think you have to play Slash or Duff or Izzy (god willing he joins the tour) solo material cause its only fair. Or at least Velvet Revolver songs. I would be shocked if Duff and Slash just agreed to play Chinese and they didn't even fight for their songs since the breakup to be included. There are many songs they have that would make great Axl songs, as there are many Chinese songs that would benefit from Slash, and to a lesser extent Duff.

I don't know if its been said, and I'm afraid if I start a separate thread then it would get locked, but:

If they played ANYTHING from Chinese Democracy, I personally think all of their solo work has to be on the table. You can't just play Chinese and say "well its Guns N Roses so it fits" cause its only GNR in name. If you play Chinese, I think you have to play Slash or Duff or Izzy (god willing he joins the tour) solo material cause its only fair. Or at least Velvet Revolver songs. I would be shocked if Duff and Slash just agreed to play Chinese and they didn't even fight for their songs since the breakup to be included. There are many songs they have that would make great Axl songs, as there are many Chinese songs that would benefit from Slash, and to a lesser extent Duff.

Seeing Slash and Duff up there with hacks would be humiliating enough: seeing Slash playing the opening riff to 'Chinese Democracy' would be the ultimate humiliation. This guy stole your band name and called your a cancer! Jesus, have a bit of pride.

I have a theory and it is a theory that will probably not go down very well here as is the general reaction to most of my theories. If this reunion happens, then they are all broke. Broke, cleaned out, skint. Axl doing Budweiser ads and not releasing albums (no income from albums now); Perla's divorce settlement. Chuck the two together and Axl and Slash suddenly find themselves united in pecuniary problems! What is the one thing that will solve all that in an instant?

Reunion.

Metallica have been cash grabbing for five years because they were sunk into debt with Through the Never. To even bring Metallica off the road to record their long awaited follow up to Death Magnetic would be hazardous.

It is a similar scenario with Guns.

Guns literally need this tour to keep themselves afloat financially. The slot machine. The sudden switch to nostalgia (for Axl's band).

Edited by DieselDaisy

Seeing Slash and Duff up there with hacks would be humiliating enough: seeing Slash playing the opening riff to 'Chinese Democracy' would be the ultimate humiliation. This guy stole your band name and called your a cancer! Jesus, have a bit of pride.

I have a theory and it is a theory that will probably not go down very well here as is the general reaction to most of my theories. If this reunion happens, then they are all broke. Broke, cleaned out, skint. Axl doing Budweiser ads and not releasing albums (no income from albums now); Perla's divorce settlement. Chuck the two together and Axl and Slash suddenly find themselves united in pecuniary problems! What is the one thing that will solve all that in an instant?

Reunion.

Metallica have been cash grabbing for five years because they were sunk into debt with Through the Never. To even bring Metallica off the road to record their long awaited follow up to Death Magnetic would be hazardous.

It is a similar scenario with Guns.

Interesting. Its possible but it seems so doubtful. I'll admit I don't really know how royalties work but it just seems insane to think they could be that broke. But maybe.

As for Slash playing Chinese, on one hand I agree with you. On the other, I've always loved to hear how he might approach those songs. I do think it would be really cool to see him do that, in a bury the hatchet sort of way. But again, Axl would HAVE to agree to play a Slash or VR song in that scenario. If he doesn't, I would lose an insane amount of respect for Slash. Maybe all of it. If Axl did agree to that though, I think the results could be wonderful. It would be a very mature moment for them. Which is why it'll probably never happen. And really, Axl would probably need to do it in the studio with some "enhancements" and not live to really make the impression I want.

Not broke as in, you will see them on your street corner begging any time soon, but broke as in millionaire broke.

I get it, but I still find it hard to believe. But like I said, I don't know how royalties and tour money works. I didn't know what about Metallica. I would just assume they make zillions. It would also surprise me that they are JUST NOW being broke, but maybe something's changed in the last 10 years (aside from Slash's divorce) that they really don't have a steady income.

Well they will always get royalties from sales but that is diminishing all the time due to online downloading, and, just the inherent fact that everybody who has ever wanted to own Appetite for Destruction or Greatest Hits, already owns the thing.

Look at the facts though. Look at Axl's situation firstly, the money wasted on Chinese Democracy, the poor sales of that album and the diminishing audiences. Look at that startling change from Axl, an 'artist' who seemed thoroughly opposed to reunion of any kind, to the man today, playing Vegas, selling Budweiser, no interest in artistic change or even his own vocal performances. From Axl's perspective, it was certainly easier to be 'artsy fartsy' and ''the new band can play the fuck out of the old stuff'' when you have an open tab at a recording studio and the potential that your modern version of Smile would be this grandiose hit at some point in the future.

Now look at Slash and his divorce. At a rough guess you could split Slash's fortune in two as a consequence of that as they have children and therefore Perla has a decent legal entitlement.

They are broke, that is why they are reuniting. Axl and Slash are cleaned out. Skint haha. They need your money.

Listen, I just watched the Cream reunion a few days ago from - I believe - 2005, and Ginger is drumming there with different Cream t-shirt every night and he said basically, ''buy this shirt, in the foyer''. Despite all these continuing royalties from hits albums and remastered editions, you can actually be broke if you insist on maintaining 'x' standard of life (i.e. the mansion, the limo, the fancy dining etc).

Definitely Slash's divorce and Duff has wife and kids he wants to look after. Axl too seems to live a high maintenance lifestyle. Izzy and Steven have much more modest lifestyles, not saying they are poor but they seem to live more normal lives.

It does seem like the reunion is the last good money they will see.

Money is the root of all good too.

If it happens I hope the boys will just have fun with it. Don't just trot out the same 22 songs that we've heard live 386 times.

If it was a true reunion for the fans......and they want it to be epic.......they gotta trot out three or four new songs and then play the entire GnR catalog on tour.

Every few shows rotate 3-4 songs. So by the end of the tour they will have played every song from the GnR catalog at least a handful of times.

Everything from Coma to Breakdown to Crashdiet to Down on the Farm to Mama Kin. At least a handful of times each.

That's a proper reunion tour for the fans.

Four new songs.

Play your entire catalog.

Then nobody has any room to complain about set lists.

I see them just adding the songs Izzy n Duff brought to the guest shows. Slash will probably add DTJ, Bad Obsession and The Godfather theme. Then you have Mama Kin, Pretty Tied up, Out ta get me, Move to the City that havent got much play on recent tours.

Coma and Breakdown would be cool. I could see Coma more than Breakdown.

I see them just adding the songs Izzy n Duff brought to the guest shows. Slash will probably add DTJ, Bad Obsession and The Godfather theme. Then you have Mama Kin, Pretty Tied up, Out ta get me, Move to the City that havent got much play on recent tours.

Coma and Breakdown would be cool. I could see Coma more than Breakdown.

You would be lucky with the occasional Out Ta Get Me or You're Crazy. Axl never experimented his setlists when he was experimental: what makes you think he will change the habit of the last fifteen years?

Just the guests spots with Izzy threw up 14 Years and Think About You. Duff did Attitude, my Michelle, Raw Power, Nice Boys I think. So I would expect that.

The same could apply to Slash, a few songs that he starred on for me were DTJ and Bad Obsession, The Godfather. Just guesses.

CD material would be taken out i reckon.

But promters were quoted as saying only wanted a 2 hour show. So it could be a more ruthless run through AFD and Lies. Esp if Izzy n Steven are there. it might be a much lighter rock n roll show. Drop stuff like Estranged and CW, even NR. Especialy for 2017 AFD anniversary. Why flog theough all that when you can play Mama Kin and Move to the City.

Edited by wasted

Setlists are a whole other monster. Slash likes to rotate, as does kind of Axl, so I would expect something closer to the Illusions days. Maybe not going out without a setlist and making it on the fly, but I would have no doubt it would be the same show every night. They wouldn't do that. It would bore them like it bores us. That was never part of the Guns experience and I don't think they'd start that now. Unless they truly made this the most blatant "who gives a shit" reunion tour of all time.

As for song selections, I think we're praying in most cases. Axl has a range. It's doubtful he could sing stuff like Breakdown and Coma, which they rarely even played in the old days. I'm expecting all the classics we hear at most GNR shows since 2000, as well as the solo spots as some have mentioned. Double Talkin Jive, Attitude, Bad Obsession. Just a few little things like that, but I wouldn't be expecting miracles.

Catcher, Street of Dreams, This I Love, Better, I.R.S. ... even Shackler's. Slash can rewrite the solos as he pleases if that's what it would take, if it don't turn out good then at least it'd be different. We've all heard them as they were written hundreds of times.

Edited by Flayer

I did a thread like this and it got merged. Is the overzealous merging era over, or is somebody on vacation?

I asked about this as well as all original solo albums, I would like to see Shuffle it all, Beggars n Hangers on, The Punk Rock song, Chinese Democracy, and Slither among others.