Ron Thal: Whatever I Say On GN'R Is Distorted By The Media

Man, and I used to value Ron for speaking directly and saying the truth.

The media distorts what he says because he never gives a straight answer. If he would honestly answer their questions and they twisted then he would have something to bitch about.

Just answer the questions Ron.

Exactly. No one is misquoting or writing false things about Dj. He left recently to pursue work with Sixx AM, case closed. No idea why that's hard for Ron (unless they're considering using Ron on the reunion tour for the Buckethead parts on CD... and that's beyond a reach).

• Like 1

Ron has confirmed his departure already, I don't get why some fans are still confused about this issue?

I think everyone here agreed over the last few months that Bumble was out; but reading this it begs the question of whether that is true, or not. My hunch says, he's out and, he has been for a while but this is confusing.

There's no truth? bizarre way to describe your status of a band that everybody believes you've left. No headline thus far has said, Bumblefoot is still in GnR so according to him it's lies to say he's not in GnR? I don't even pretend to understand the logic of not answering the question solidly once and for all. And yes, we all know the Gnr brings clout, more media opportunities, higher billing on tours as well as better touring offers... wait! :P maybe all that is his reason for being secretive. He's a good businessman.

My hunch is that the Gnr insider statement wasn't 100% legit. As shite at management as TB are, I think they would at least be capable of posting something more official on facebook, twitter or the band website instead of leaking info? why would they do that?.

My hunch is that the Gnr insider statement wasn't 100% legit. As shite at management as TB are, I think they would at least be capable of posting something more official on facebook, twitter or the band website instead of leaking info? why would they do that?.

But they never made an official announcement on Dj either. It makes no sense.... It seems at this point like maybe Bumble IS infact still in GnR but he can't say anything because of the reunion. It is possible that we could have a line up with Bumble, Slash, Axl, Duff, Fortus, Dizzy, and Frank.... If Axl plans to release CD II, why not keep the 3 guitar lineup?

Ron could be part of the hybrid reunion to play the CD songs. Slash will be playing tamborine on Madagascar.

We know that Axl tried to get Buckethead back, before turning to Ron. So it is possible since the third guitarist is instrumental to the newer songs and adds depth to the sound of the older songs.

Where has Ron made an official statement that he's not in GNR? I've seen no such statement.

What I have seen, though, is set lists from Ron's solo tour where he's playing mostly AFD covers, with promo posters that proclaim "GNR GUITARIST!"

People aren't going to come to his shows to hear his solo stuff. They want to hear GNR songs from the guy who was in GNR

The translation is squirrely. He doesn't repeat himself. The question he refuses to answer is why he didn't officially announce leaving the band sooner -- not IF he left the band. He's saying that he can't answer that.

...the question concerns your depart. It seems that you left (** NOTE: quitter can be 'quit' or 'leave' but does not have a negative connotation) the group in 2014 but announced it very recently: why didn't you announce it earlier?

Ron: (makes a sign of silence) *he doesn't say anything else here; the words in the original translation are just a pullquote*

We respect this choice, but isn't this the opportunity to set the record straight/tell the truth?

But there isn't any truth! In any case, whatever I say, my words are regularly distorted by the media to create buzz.

Despite it all, would you not have decided to join the group, seeing that only one album would be produced during this period?

During the 8 years I played with the group (**Note: this version of the past tense, j'ai joue, makes it clear that it's something over and done with) we saw (had) many great experiences. It was an experience that taught me a great deal. And the fans are truly extraordinary.

So this doesn't seem to be a drama fest. Ron isn't denying he's out. He just refused to answer the question about why he didn't say anything sooner. TB didn't say anything about it immediately, and neither did they disclose it immediately when Ron and other members left. Bucket and Ashba have been the only two who have really had grand formal announcements of some sort.

• Like 2

Two other interesting bits from the interview:

First question, how is your health and spirit (morale), following these last years that were difficult?
Ron: I'm very well, even if I don't really think in terms of difficult years: I consider that it's part of a normal life and that each person is confronted with their own challenges they must overcome.

And have you succeeded in overcoming them?
Of course, and I am convinced that I will confront other challenges in the future and I will try again to overcome them. Life, right? (smile)

Toward the bottom of the page:

Despite everything, are you going to have more time to dedicate to your solo project since your departure from Guns N' Roses?

I've always been the type to find time for the things close to my heart.

It seemed as though he was going out of his way not to say anything negative about GnR.

Edited by stella

Random thought - bumble has Been keeping his mouth shut for one reason. The reason is that if the reunion doesn't get done for watever reason Axl goes on his "Retirement tour" they market I as Axl Rose farewell tour or some shit and bumble gets the call.

Basically I think Bumble is just shutting his mouth about his status because if Axl calls him for watever reason he will jump

It's been brought up before that the band members have all supposedly signed non-disclosure agreements. It makes sense: they have all, without exception, been very, very careful about what they have said about GnR in the media. Not one of the former members of NuGNR has ever given a straight answer about why they left or made a timely formal announcement about it, except for Ashba with his "on to the next stage of the journey" post (which really doesn't reveal much of anything about why he left). As I recall, with Robin there was a very long period where nobody entirely knew what was up; Brain's formal departure was never really announced (he was on paternity leave...indefinitely), etc.

So they can ask Ron (or any other ex-NuGNR) about this until the cows come home, and they will probably always get a vague and unsatisfying response. In this interview Ron talks a lot and gives long answers to just about everything he's asked...except for this. The minute they ask about GnR he clams up, is very diplomatic, and evades the question. My money is on the possibility that he's either bound by his NDA, or has otherwise been requested by TB not to talk about this.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

Random thought - bumble has Been keeping his mouth shut for one reason. The reason is that if the reunion doesn't get done for watever reason Axl goes on his "Retirement tour" they market I as Axl Rose farewell tour or some shit and bumble gets the call.

Basically I think Bumble is just shutting his mouth about his status because if Axl calls him for watever reason he will jump

Probably the professional thing to do even

If you feel like they could have recorded as a band. I guess they were hoping to write with Axl and be part of a new GNR album. I just think however they say it it gets turned into a way to attack Axl and therefore a headache. No point pissing people off and closing doors unless there's an upside.

He's saying that the status and lineup of GnR is unknown, up in the air, and who knows what may or may not happen with the band.

I don´t know what kind of game is Ron playing now. We got a statement from the GN´R camp. The infamous "I don´t understand why BBF countinue to be evasive. He told Axl is S.A. he was quiting after Vegas"

That guy some rep that wasn't really ever confirmed to be in the GnR camp

You can laugh about Dj till the end of times, but at least he have the balls to say whatever he wants about GNR and his status.

I think the reason he has the balls is because he doesn't have to rely on GNR to secure his future. He has other business ventures which seem successful enough to support his lifestyle. whereas bumble foot is shredding at random pubs with the GNR logo on his ticket to get 40 people in the door. Bumble needs the gig

• Like 3

You can laugh about Dj till the end of times, but at least he have the balls to say whatever he wants about GNR and his status.

I think the reason he has the balls is because he doesn't have to rely on GNR to secure his future. He has other business ventures which seem successful enough to support his lifestyle. whereas bumble foot is shredding at random pubs with the GNR logo on his ticket to get 40 people in the door. Bumble needs the gig

DAMN! That's so harsh-- and 100% true! Truth hurts, sometimes.

• Like 1

He was acting like he didn't need the gig when he was in GNR. Everyone knows that GNR is his greatest medal in the music biz, which is a shame cos he's really talented.

I think he thought that everything will be alright with that band with Weiland, like he'll be touring the world and shit. Poor Ron.