Earliest you can put up christmas decorations?

wasted

Easy test to tell if it's Christmas time

Q. Is it December yet?

A. No

If we don't protect Christmas from creeping into other months we will soon be listening to Slade and Cliff Richard in June.

Are you trying to say that those gay guys are creeps?

My parents were always really busy, so often as kids, we didn't put them up until Christmas Eve. When we were organised, nothing went up until a week before Christmas.

You could tell which was the Catholic house in the street though, as my parents insisted they stay up until the feast of the Ephiphany (the 12th day of Christmas) after everyone else had taken theirs down.

• Like 1

Q. Is it December yet?

A. No

If we don't protect Christmas from creeping into other months we will soon be listening to Slade and Cliff Richard in June.

Oi, there's nothing gay about Noddy Holder!

Q. Is it December yet?

A. No

Based on their ridiculously forward Christmas behaviour. Yes. Well maybe not creeps but misguided and clearly too jolly. Bah Humbug, as they say.

The gay guys across in the other building just put up a ton of christmas lights. It's still November. It seems a bit early?

I thought you lived in a mansion.
It's 2030. I got sued by 2,696 sex workers and spent 500 mlilion on the GNR slots game and now live in a shitty gated community with gay neighbor dudes that drink wine on they balconies and put xmas decorations in november rain. The future does not look good.

The gay guys across in the other building just put up a ton of christmas lights. It's still November. It seems a bit early?

I thought you lived in a mansion.
It's 2030. I got sued by 2,696 sex workers and spent 500 mlilion on the GNR slots game and now live in a shitty gated community with gay neighbor dudes that drink wine on they balconies and put xmas decorations in november rain. The future does not look good.

How does my future look in 2030?

My parents were always really busy, so often as kids, we didn't put them up until Christmas Eve. When we were organised, nothing went up until a week before Christmas.

You could tell which was the Catholic house in the street though, as my parents insisted they stay up until the feast of the Ephiphany (the 12th day of Christmas) after everyone else had taken theirs down.

It really ought to stay up until the Baptism of the Lord.

Something that I won't get to this year but I will try next year is to side-by-side decorate for Advent and Christmas. I'll have two strands of lights in my hands, one purple, one white (or red/green/gold), and so whatever I'm decorating, be it a tree or a banister or whatever, I will just wrap them in both lights at the same time. During Advent, I'll only plug in the purple ones, and from Christmas Eve until the Baptism of the Lord, I'll only plug in the Christmas color ones. That way I can be festive for just as long as everyone else, but I can also be correct about it. It unfortunately seems like people have completely given in to stores and the corporate world beginning Christmas on November 1st. I haven't heard a single complaint about it yet this year. Some totally embrace it. Some even in their personal lives have bumped Christmas back to at least mid-November. We really can't let that continue in our private lives. Marking time and occasions correctly and according to some ritual and tradition is an important thing for us to do and we ought not let the money people fuck it all up.

I think after American Thanksgiving is the right time. NOTHING should be up before that. So if people wanted to put up lights today that's fine and then tomorrow turn them on. Anything early than this in my opinion is dumb and just oversaturates Chrismas. Even in Canada the American Thanksgiving kinda marks the start of the holiday season so that's when everything should start.

• Like 1

It really ought to stay up until the Baptism of the Lord.

Something that I won't get to this year but I will try next year is to side-by-side decorate for Advent and Christmas. I'll have two strands of lights in my hands, one purple, one white (or red/green/gold), and so whatever I'm decorating, be it a tree or a banister or whatever, I will just wrap them in both lights at the same time. During Advent, I'll only plug in the purple ones, and from Christmas Eve until the Baptism of the Lord, I'll only plug in the Christmas color ones. That way I can be festive for just as long as everyone else, but I can also be correct about it. It unfortunately seems like people have completely given in to stores and the corporate world beginning Christmas on November 1st. I haven't heard a single complaint about it yet this year. Some totally embrace it. Some even in their personal lives have bumped Christmas back to at least mid-November. We really can't let that continue in our private lives. Marking time and occasions correctly and according to some ritual and tradition is an important thing for us to do and we ought not let the money people fuck it all up.

That's nice. I've not heard of decorating for advent before. We do have the Advent Ring ready to go, though, which I'm excited about. My atheist friends came round and I explained what the Advent Ring was about and the tradition of it, which they really loved.

I'm not starting decorating our flat until my work has dried up for the year. I'm hoping that I'll be done by December 20th, but magazine work is all about waiting on people to get stuff done.

I'm also scared of what will happen when we introduce the kitten to the tinsel. Want to minimise that as much as possible.

Edited by Gracii Guns
  • Like 1

Some stores already had Christmas decorations and candy for sale right after Halloween.

A lot of people start to decorate right after Thanksgiving.

I usually decorate a week or two before Christmas and take it all down the day after. I hate seeing the Christmas tree and decorations when the holiday is over. I really hate New Year's eve, so that's also why my stuff comes down. lol

Anyway, you can do whatever your heart feels like doing. :)

Of course you can do what you want but I was surprised to see decs up in nov.

I don't usually put anything up til xmas eve. Otherwise i burn out. After 3 days im like fuck this plastic tree. But it stays until new years. Its like green light on drimking. Its christmas!

But those started early. They be burned out by dec 1.

Of course you can do what you want but I was surprised to see decs up in nov.

I don't usually put anything up til xmas eve. Otherwise i burn out. After 3 days im like fuck this plastic tree. But it stays until new years. Its like green light on drimking. Its christmas!

But those started early. They be burned out by dec 1.

Well it is your last Christmas!