The Blues Thread

Georgy Zhukov

So who's everyone's favorite blues guitarists?

Robert Johnson

Howlin Wolf

Muddy Waters

John Lee Hooker

B.B. King

Buddy Guy

Albert King

Eric Clapton

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Keith Richards

Joe Bonamassa

Matt Schofield

Jimi Hendrix
Lead Belly
Top of my head anyway...

So who's everyone's favorite blues guitarists? I will try to keep my list short

As you can see from my avatar I would have to say Robert Johnson

But for more modern Guitar players I would have to say Johnny WInter (RIP) who rarely gets any love...........

Also love Rod "the bottle" Price (RIP) of Foghat when they play blues songs...just an amazing slide guitar player.........

And here they are all together with the blues greats

Edited by classicrawker

Most people only know the modern Steve Nicks version of Fleetwood Mac, and I don't mean you fellow music geeks, but I love the original Peter Green band........

Not their best blues song or version but I love these old Playboy After Dark clips...they remind me of Austin Powers.......... :lol:

Edited by classicrawker

My favorite Blues guitarist is Ry Cooder. You should check out the Song Vigilante Man on youtube. (Dunno how to post YouTube vids via my tablet).

Definitely one of my favourite guitar players. But I wouldn't classify him as a blues player because he's just SO freaking versatile. Great player.

I'm actually listening to a 1969 studio version of 'Red House' from the Valleys of Neptune album. Jimi seems to have wanted to re-record some of his older stuff in 1969, especially so 'Red House' since it was left off the original United States edition of Are You Experienced?. It is slower and a lot less compact than the original. Exceptional - I'm in two minds but I think I might prefer it over the 1967 version.

This time Lucille does most of the singing.

I'm actually listening to a 1969 studio version of 'Red House' from the Valleys of Neptune album. Jimi seems to have wanted to re-record some of his older stuff in 1969, especially so 'Red House' since it was left off the original United States edition of Are You Experienced?. It is slower and a lot less compact than the original. Exceptional - I'm in two minds but I think I might prefer it over the 1967 version.

Interesting. I thought Red House was well done, had no idea there were other versions.

This time Lucille does most of the singing.

Interesting. I thought Red House was well done, had no idea there were other versions.

There are actually two versions released during Jimi's lifetime. They are,

- Are Your Experienced? (UK edition), recorded December 13, 1966 at the CBS Studios

- Smash Hits (US edition), recorded (backing track) 21st December 1966 at De Lane Lea/Olympic

As I said, 'Red House' did not appear at all on the American Are You Experience? Smash Hits released 1969 was the first time Americans could buy it, although in its De Lane/Olympic guise. The US version also appeared on the 1980's compilation Kiss the Sky. I believe the first time Americans could buy the UK version was 1994's Blues compilation. And as I said, Jimi found himself re-recording the song in 1969. The thing is, the song live became a tour de force of improvisational blues regularly clocking 10 mins minimum. The 1967 versions inherently became a shell of what was happening live. My favourite rendition is from Randell's Island, on the Concerts live compilation.

I wonder why they waited until this year to induct Clapton in the blues hall of fame? He helped bring the genre to new audiences through his work with The Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers. Cream, Derek and the Dominoes and much of his later career. We can forget about that period where he pretended he was a songwriter.

Muddy Waters gets my vote as my favorite.

Sweet Home Alabama and Freebird have completely fucked up people's perception of these boys.

Couldn't agree more.

I could almost say the same for Stairway to Heaven for these guys

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

Tracing the origin of the blues is rather difficult. It may have all started in West Africa and when they were brought over, their musical traditions were passed down and evolved over the years, taking influence by Western, folk, country and swing music.

Mississippi John Hurt may be the closest you will ever get to the earliest form of blues. More spiritual. That was the country blues. The style we are more familiar emerged out of Mississippi Delta which later became amplified during the 1930's and 40's. These musicians moved to Chicago, got together and Chicago Blues was born. There was another movement called The West Side Blues which was more accessible to white audiences, probably because the clubs were more integrated. Blues really took off in Chicago. It was the turning point that brought the genre to a worldwide audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vphs2YYBSr0

Edited by Georgy Zhukov