The Blues Thread

Georgy Zhukov

All these black poor guys from prehistoric times! Where is Eric - his strat, his armani suit and fifty nights at the Albert -when you need him? Blues for the British middle classes.

haha great point, i lol'd so much at Eric Clapton

I mean, he is a good guitarist and all, but really not my cup of tea

he even whoring on reggae

There is no music I dislike more than rap/hip hop (whatever the difference is?) except numetal, 1990's grunge and 1990's rave. In fact I think I hate rap more than rave? I would rather listen to the spice girls than gangster rap. Horrendous shit liked by pasty faced chavs pretending to be american black gangsters: baggy jeans; boxer shorts; baseball caps; effecting a black guy swagger walk (as if you have a carrot lodged up your rectum). ''Look at me, I'm from the hud''. No you're not, you are from North Shields. Cunts. Horrid music. Horrid people.

what if we concentrate on what we like instead of what we DON'T like?

Personallly i disliked a lot of genres when i was a teenager, then i grow up and started to like literally every music genre except mainstream pop music (aka 2-300 million views on youtube within 2 days)

my music listening experience is much better since then

Music diversity is a great thing

Clapton is at his best when he does the blues. Especially when he is playing with guitarists that inspire him to better himself, like he did with Derek and the Dominos. Duane brought the best out of Clapton and he could hold his own without Allman and he proved it with the In Concert album of Dominos.

Example.

There is a side of me which feels he ruined the blues genre. Granted he is a good bluesman but he did turn the genre into this excruciatingly dull 'lounge music' for the middle aged middle classes. Clapton was at his best when he played a Les Paul (or SG). Wasn't it so disappointing to see him with his Strat during the Cream reunion? With that one omission the whole thing sounded nothing like Cream.

Edited by DieselDaisy

There is a side of me which feels he ruined the blues genre. Granted he is a good bluesman but he did turn the genre into this excruciatingly dull 'lounge music' for the middle aged middle classes. Clapton was at his best when he played a Les Paul (or SG). Wasn't it so disappointing to see him with his Strat during the Cream reunion? With that one omission the whole thing sounded nothing like Cream.

I lost interest in him after Derek and the Dominoes and he played a strat in that band......I agree his solo stuff can be pretty bland....

Is there any delta blues that you would recommend me except Robert Johnson?

So many good ones but some of my favorites include

John Lee Hooker

Big Jack Johnson

Lead Belly

Robert Lockwood Jr.- Got lessons from Robert Johnson

Pinetop Perkins

Elmore James- Huge influence for the Stones guitarist Brian Jones who was calling himself Elmo Lewis when Keef and Mick met him in honor of James

• Like 2

Thanks, guys for the recommendations. I really like Robert Johnson for his guitar playing. I listened to Bukka White but somehow I cant get into his playing. I really like the bottleneck guitar sound. Son House is great I like his playing. Im looking for some Elmore James next.

Have a listen to Dust My Broom, Elmore James is the king. Trivia: Bukka White is BB Kings cousin. If I'm not mistaken Bobby Dylan covered him on his debut.

• Like 1

I've been in love with Freddie King's lead playing, and how much of it I hear in all the 70s British rock guys.

He is more Dallas and Chicago blues, as that is where he grew up, then Mississippi Delta blues but a fantastic bluesman...........

Texas still has some good stuff. Chicago Blues pretty much started out in places like the Delta and Texas. Then Chicago found its way back in Texas.

I lost interest in him after Derek and the Dominoes and he played a strat in that band......I agree his solo stuff can be pretty bland....

He had that phase of his career that few seem to like. Maybe when Stevie Ray Vaughan got big he took up interest in the blues. But he is just an aging bluesman like Buddy Guy. Comes out to play every now and then. Hope he does another Crossroads Festival but it won't be the same with B.B. King.

Heres Ry Cooder playing slide guitar. If theres a discussion whether white people can play the blues or not this is the proof.

They can play it...and play it well...some even earth shatteringly well...in the same way Eminem can rap and not only can he rap he can rap anybody, on his day anybody out of the room...but the best of it is still the black fellas. In the same way you can find black people that play punk well...and the best are up there with the best of all races i.e. Bad Brains...but no one does it like the white boys. It's not so much to do with a genetic or racial inability to do it but more to do with it being a specific cultural experience that one race is more entrenched in than another...the same way you won't find a white sitar player like Ravi Shankar, despite there, I'm sure, being some brilliant ones out there.

A lot of these genres were conceived when there was more division amongst races, thats it more than anything, something like Dance Music, seeing as how the dance music revolution was at a time when cultural divosion according to race was not really a thing anymore, has both white and black and asian and all sorts doing it equally well as each other, cuz it has been a shared experience from the get go.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Edited by Len B'stard

Fair play. I think the blues is a universal genre that everybody can relate to. Feeling blue is something thats not limited by the colour of your skin. Thats what makes the blues so great and authentic. A white boy from the suburbs of a small town can be authentic. Unlike rap which I think is something else. However I agree that the specific social and economical situation of black people in the south of the US back then created the best blues players ever.

• Like 2