Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Announce The River Tour 2016

axlslash

And finally: announced on the official site. The River, in full, every night.

Congrats Bruce! You've just saved me a whole lot of money!

Sorry, but that might talk me out of ANY shows. My own fault, but I already saw The River show in 09, and its so long that thats a massive part of the show to see a second or third time. Don't get me wrong, The River is my FAVORITE Bruce album. But that 09 show was also pretty legendary. Its talked very highly about and it was one of the best shows I ever saw. Without Clarence, without the mystique of it being that one time, I don't think he could top it.

Ramrod is my favorite live Bruce song. I love the idea of it getting played every night. Crush On You, I'm A Rocker, Stolen Car, Drive All Night (as you mentioned) finally getting the due they deserve. I might see one show, but unfortunately that totally convinces me out of more shows. Its already an obscure album, so I have to image the encores will be packed to the brim with hits. Or nothing I can't imagine I haven't seen by this point. Sad, cause I really want to go. Maybe one show, but the price already turned me off. To see something I've already seen, in NY/NJ which was already gonna be a hard ticket, seems like it might not be worth it. Possible Pearl Jam and GNR reunion tours this year I'd rather save money for.

We'll see. But I think this is an interesting, and frankly not great move. He's already done the full album thing. Touring a 35 year old DOUBLE album, EVERY night seems like a major setback to an artist that never wanted to be a nostalgia act. I would have much rather a tour that focused on rotating deep River cuts along with the outtakes just released for a live show, as opposed to the album in full. But I'm sure those that didn't see it in 09 will love it.

And finally: announced on the official site. The River, in full, every night.

Congrats Bruce! You've just saved me a whole lot of money!

Sorry, but that might talk me out of ANY shows. My own fault, but I already saw The River show in 09, and its so long that thats a massive part of the show to see a second or third time. Don't get me wrong, The River is my FAVORITE Bruce album. But that 09 show was also pretty legendary. Its talked very highly about and it was one of the best shows I ever saw. Without Clarence, without the mystique of it being that one time, I don't think he could top it.

Ramrod is my favorite live Bruce song. I love the idea of it getting played every night. Crush On You, I'm A Rocker, Stolen Car, Drive All Night (as you mentioned) finally getting the due they deserve. I might see one show, but unfortunately that totally convinces me out of more shows. Its already an obscure album, so I have to image the encores will be packed to the brim with hits. Or nothing I can't imagine I haven't seen by this point. Sad, cause I really want to go. Maybe one show, but the price already turned me off. To see something I've already seen, in NY/NJ which was already gonna be a hard ticket, seems like it might not be worth it. Possible Pearl Jam and GNR reunion tours this year I'd rather save money for.

We'll see. But I think this is an interesting, and frankly not great move. He's already done the full album thing. Touring a 35 year old DOUBLE album, EVERY night seems like a major setback to an artist that never wanted to be a nostalgia act. I would have much rather a tour that focused on rotating deep River cuts along with the outtakes just released for a live show, as opposed to the album in full. But I'm sure those that didn't see it in 09 will love it.

As someone on BTX pointed out: longer-than usual breaks between shows plus the reference to "4 hour shows" in the press release? Might be making room to do the River, take an intermission, then a set and encore of non-River. We shall see. Since I was only going to one show anyway, I'm not extatic but I'll enjoy this.

If it were up to me, he'd play Ramrod every night. That Live In Barcelona video is a perfect example of why its my favorite live Bruce song. He just goes nuts and has so much fun with it. I love it, and I love the false endings. So happy I've caught it once as part of The River and once as an audible surprise.

Glad you're so excited for your show. Congrats on getting tix! I got shut out, but I was looking for the sole NJ show so I wasn't expecting miracles. I'll constantly check BTX and hope something pops up, but luckily if not I've basically already seen this show. I am really happy though for people like you and others that love the River, since I only went in 09 cause it was right near me. I never would have flown to LA or something for it, despite it being my favorite album, so had I not seen it I would love this tour, at least for one show. Having seen it, it kind of renders the tour useless for me, but the person I went with last time wants to relive it, which is the only reason I tried for the NJ show, so it'll at least be fun to do that again. I think the fact that we have the shared experience will keep it fun for both of us.

Sad to see the 4 hour sets don't look like they're happening. I didn't think they would, but based off his recent interview with E Street Radio, it sounds like it'll follow a similar format to MSG 09. The album, a few things to end the main set, then encores. I would have thought if they were planning a full second set Bruce would have said something other than "yeah we hope to play the album then some of your fan favorites". That to me doesn't sound like second set.

• 5 weeks later...

One week from tomorrow, I go down to the River. The more I listen to the record in sequence, the more excited I am. I love spontaneity, sure, but I am guaranteed Point Blank, Drive All Night, Wreck On The Highway, Stolen Car, Fade Away.... fuck this is gonna be good.

I guess I also have to sit through Hungry Heart and Out In The Street back to back. But I'll survive.

It's one week til Boss Time.

One week from tomorrow, I go down to the River. The more I listen to the record in sequence, the more excited I am. I love spontaneity, sure, but I am guaranteed Point Blank, Drive All Night, Wreck On The Highway, Stolen Car, Fade Away.... fuck this is gonna be good.

I guess I also have to sit through Hungry Heart and Out In The Street back to back. But I'll survive.

4 days for me :headbang:

• Like 1

Those days in between Pittsburgh and Chicago are gonna be tough. With how little room there is for change ups in the set, I'm going to be more vigilant than usual at not checking the set list before my show. Backstreets is the one forum I'm on as much as here, but I'll be cutting myself off to avoid spoilers. Now I know how big-time Star Wars fans felt.

Those days in between Pittsburgh and Chicago are gonna be tough. With how little room there is for change ups in the set, I'm going to be more vigilant than usual at not checking the set list before my show. Backstreets is the one forum I'm on as much as here, but I'll be cutting myself off to avoid spoilers. Now I know how big-time Star Wars fans felt.

I won't give you any spoilers other than it was fucking incredible.

• Like 1

Those days in between Pittsburgh and Chicago are gonna be tough. With how little room there is for change ups in the set, I'm going to be more vigilant than usual at not checking the set list before my show. Backstreets is the one forum I'm on as much as here, but I'll be cutting myself off to avoid spoilers. Now I know how big-time Star Wars fans felt.I won't give you any spoilers other than it was fucking incredible.All I know so far is he opened with Meet Me (duh), did Rebel Rebel (about as duh as one-off covers get, hoping that slot goes to 41 Shots with Morello in Chicago), and he didn't do Sunny Day. Also that it was an impressively long set list, as I'd expect on a tour with 3 nights between most shows. Just based on those things, fuckin stoked. Fingers crossed that the lottery gods show me favor Tuesday night, I wanna be in that pit!!!

For those of you so inclined, here is the opening of the show through the end of the River set (not my video, though you can almost see my wife and I in the GA when the camera shows Bruce at the platform behind the pit in Hungry Heart). Still the greatest rock band in the world.

He also had the Nassau 1980 show for sale on download, even though it's not a part of the box. Still worth having a copy of that show.

And he's following this up with a new acoustic album and theater/arena tour.

There's a few box sets he could do but I think Born in the USA and Nebraska would probably be a combined one, just the video he has from the Born in the USA tour probably takes up a whole wall in the vault, and the fans have talked about wanting an "Electric Nebraska" and "Acoustic BITUSA". The documentaries picked up from where the last one left off, it's hard to say whether he'd do one for Tunnel of Love, or just put out concert videos for download and streaming.

Out here on E Street, we’re missing our fans at The Garden tonight and wanted to send this along.
Starting now, the live recording of ‪#‎TheRiverTourChicago‬ on January 19 will be available as a free MP3 download for the next two days at http://bit.ly/therivertourchicago
or

http://live.brucespringsteen.net/live-music/0,13586/Bruce-Springsteen---The-E-Street-Band-mp3-flac-download-1-19-2016-United-Center-Chicago-IL.html

RIR Lisbon announced for May, so presumably European tour in the summer.

...and the extended US tour is now official as well. Now to cross the fingers that the new solo record becomes a new E Street record!

I was in NYC for an unplanned spell today. Hung outside the Garden for a while. None of the band's cars stopped and no one got out or signed or anything, but I was 3-4ft from everyone and they all waived, Boss included. Would have liked at least one interaction of some kind, but was still cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Fuck me, last night was awesome. Highlights from The River were Independence Day, I'm A Rocker, Point Blank, and Drive All Night. The "hits" section of the show after was tremendous too with Rosalita as my favorite and the show reaching near transcendent levels during Nils's Because The Night solo. Worth every penny I spent for a GA ticket, I'll post a few pictures later.

22 minutes ago, Mansin Humanity said:

Fuck me, last night was awesome. Highlights from The River were Independence Day, I'm A Rocker, Point Blank, and Drive All Night. The "hits" section of the show after was tremendous too with Rosalita as my favorite and the show reaching near transcendent levels during Nils's Because The Night solo. Worth every penny I spent for a GA ticket, I'll post a few pictures later.

Where on the floor did you end up? Not that it really matters. I got as fucked as fucked gets with my GA in Chicago (My group had 201-204, lucky lotto winner was 280, over 900 bands given out). We wound up about 5-6 people back of the second railing. Still far and away the most fun I've ever had at a show other than the last Spectrum show.

12552573_10205775488523765_1408881743384

12540630_10205775495003927_2926287502510

12509872_10205775497523990_7027424997085

12417664_10205775498324010_8953740486376

Hopefully I'm going to Glasgow.

In 2013 I lived in London and by the time I made it to a computer after tickets for Wembley went on sale it was all sold out. I saw 2 other shows though and they were superb, but I'm still a bit bummed I missed Wembley with Darkness in full.

If it were a regular tour I'd go for 3 or 4 shows but on this tour a single one will do.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, axlslash said:

Where on the floor did you end up? Not that it really matters. I got as fucked as fucked gets with my GA in Chicago (My group had 201-204, lucky lotto winner was 280, over 900 bands given out). We wound up about 5-6 people back of the second railing. Still far and away the most fun I've ever had at a show other than the last Spectrum show.

Damn, that's a tough break. I lucked out pretty hard - had wristband #1026 and they drew somewhere in the 670s, so I was one of the last 20 or so people in the front pit section. It was great because I still had an awesome spot, but because I was towards the back of the section, didn't have to ever worry about leaving and losing the rail or anything right up front. Just an incredible time, but as you said that would've been true no matter where I watched from.

Edited by Mansin Humanity
  • Like 1