Can you eliminate cable or satellite TV?

Apollo

Bill Maher, ugh, what a smug cunt, I'd love to see someone peel off a right hander on him. I actually agree with a lot of what he says but as a person he's just odious.

I guess you can be smug when you a right most of the time........... :shrugs:

That being said as much as I love his show, and agree with most of what he says, I can't imagine he is much fun to hang out with always being a legend in his own mind and such......

Never heard of a Bill Maher.

Hes an open book, a wounded little lapsed Catholic boy whoose entire world view and behavioural make up can be traced back to that, a sort of an atheist or apatheist flag waver, hes rarely wrong hes just very obvious and painfully disinteresting.

Edited by Len B'stard

Hes an open book, a wounded little lapsed Catholic boy whoose entire world view and behavioural make up can be traced back to that, a sort of an atheist flag waver, hes rarely wrong hes just very obvious and painfully disinteresting.

He should have a healthy fan club here then.

Sling TV. $20/month ESPN, AMC, and some other channels in real time. I haven't had cable or satellite in over five years and I only had it then because my wife insisted on it. Apart from February 2009 to August 2010, I haven't had cable or satellite since 1999.

https://www.sling.com

You can also add HBO On Demand for $10 or $15 extra per month.

Thanks!!!!

I havent paid for a TV licence in 2 years and I dont have to because I dont have cable, satellite or even freeview. Got my PC hooked up to my living room TV and an Amazon Prime/Netflix subscription. Add to that torrents and why would anybody need live TV?

Sports?

I don't actually know what "torrents" mean

Consider yourself lucky. He is a smug asshole that is democrat nuttswinger. Think Michael Moore - but not as smart.

I don't have cable, just good internet. I have a Roku which is my main TV source. I pay for Netflix ($8.50 per month), Hulu ($8 per month), and MLB.TV ($150 per year) and that gets me 90% of what I need. I can watch ESPN on Roku for free because I work for Disney, their parent company, but you can get that on Sling. I order Sling for one month a year, which is October because the National League playoffs are on there and are blacked out on MLB.TV, so that's $20 once per year for me, or once per month if you want it year-round. It has other live channels like TBS, AMC, and many others which more or less amounts to a basic cable package. I don't like football, but if you're into college football there is a Roku channel that broadcasts tons of free college football games live. On Roku you can get CBS News and FoxNews for free, plus several other national and international 24 hour news. If you live in a decent sized city, there will probably be at least 2 local news stations that you can watch on Roku, too. However, I bought a digital antenna so I get my main channels (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, PBS) over the air for a one-time cost of $30. All in all, it adds up to having cable, or at least a very, very close approximation of cable for a small fraction of the astronomical price of cable. Also, Roku is cool because there are hundreds of niche interest channels. For example, I am a space/astronomy geek and I have several free channels pertaining to those, which each have several weekly programs. I'd never have that if I just had cable.

Apollo, I know you're a sports guy which is probably your biggest concern. If you do what I did you will be satisfied 90% of the time anyway. MLB, NBA, and NHL all have subscription services online and through Roku/AppleTV/whatever that you can watch live, out-of-market games, and all games archived. It's a little bit of a pain when your team is playing in your broadcast region, but then Sling or an over-the-air channel will usually get it. The only thing I can't attest for is the NFL since they do not do a streaming service. But Sling and over-the-air will probably still get you a fair amount.

Thank you Deeds!

I havent paid for a TV licence in 2 years and I dont have to because I dont have cable, satellite or even freeview. Got my PC hooked up to my living room TV and an Amazon Prime/Netflix subscription. Add to that torrents and why would anybody need live TV?

You might find yourself having to get TV license again as your girl grows up and wants to watch whatever her friends are watching.

My grandma is actually of a generation who thinks ITV, watching ITV, is a bit 'common'. But what television channel do you watch the World Cup Final on I say? She does have a point.

In the context of her times though you can see her point, BBC was like...the standard, ITV was the sort of Johnny Come Lately channel, none of your nature documentaries, just fuckin' comedies about men and women co-habiting and gameshows, it was sort of like The Daily Star of TV channels back in the day.

I pay 16 euro a month for stream supreme. It's an app on KODI (formerly XMBC). It gives me access to EVERY premier league match and also NFL i think (but i dont watch that so i never checked the stream quality) and there is tonnes of other sport channels too like BT sport and SKY sports. Stream quality and reliability is pretty good with 480,720,1080p options. My internet is crappy though so i never try 1080p. There are also cable channels available like sky atlantic (the UK's HBO) and comedy central so you'll always have something watch.

She is 91 years old.

I have to say though she is correct in her conclusion but not perhaps her manner at arriving at that conclusion which remains wedded in some class system/British royal chartered pre-war sentiment. ITV does have a cheap look. If you want to see my point, just compare Strictly Come Dancing with Dancing With the Stars. Strictly obtains the best out-of-work soap actors and over-the-hill sports personae. Dancing With the Stars gets the chaff which is left over basically. Or compare the football punditry; who do you want, Lineker, Hanson, Shearer or Robbie Savage?

I just love the BBC, the history of it, the fucking amount of seriously quality sitcoms (which are kinda my thing) and then all the various pop music things they did although to be honest they were more banning stuff than anything in the 60s, Lucy in the Sky and all that, BBC radio as well, its just brilliant...and then all the work they did with the World Service, putting British culture out all over the commonwealth nations, the BBC and by extension England led the way in terms of international broadcast.

Edited by Len B'stard

My grandma is actually of a generation who thinks ITV, watching ITV, is a bit 'common'. But what television channel do you watch the World Cup Final on I say? She does have a point.

In the context of her times though you can see her point, BBC was like...the standard, ITV was the sort of Johnny Come Lately channel, none of your nature documentaries, just fuckin' comedies about men and women co-habiting and gameshows, it was sort of like The Daily Star of TV channels back in the day.

ITV Is tacky. If you turn it over to ITV from BBC the volume always seems louder.