which songs dose Izzy Stradlin plays lead guitar on Guns N' Roses ablums ?

Slash has been playing crazy leads for a long time everywhere but in the album lol.

none of these is GNR

first one its just someone soloing over a loop of the rhythm acoustic guitar track of DTJ on UYI

second one just someone soloing over a loop of a live track of DTJ, maybe from the UYI tour, maybe from just a shitty cover band

It IS GNR. That guitar is Slash and the old band too. Please refrain from posting any more dumb opinions. Its a demo. Guitar playing is finger print accurate, any guitarist will tell you that. No two guitarists sound alike no matter how hard one can try, this demo IS GNR hate to tell you.

believe what you like , you are free to do that

Izzy plays the first half of the first Nightrain solo. He plays the Double Talkin Jive solo except for the acoustic outro I think, Think About You solo. Izzy plays that great rhythm electric guitar on One On A Million that totally evolved the song.

Definitely no leads on Estranged.

You can totally tell its Slash playing Double Talkin Jive, that vibrato is finger print like.
Sounds like Slash, but it is Izzy. He's playing the same setup as Slash and so it sounds similar. I think the liner notes credit Izzy also. Acoustic outro definitely slash though.
Wrong. And it's easy to know because Slash tells many times, how many guitars he used on the "UYI" recordings. And he specified, Izzy used only one guitar(maybe a LPJ double cutaway, if anybody must confirm ?) during UYI sessions. Izz has written lyrics & basic music of "Double Talkin Jive", he sings the song, but Slash has performed both solos ! Izzy and Slash has différent tones and it's Slash tone, no doubt... For the electric solo, he used probably his Les Paul 59 replica and for the acoustic part he used a Ramirez.
not ramirez, it's flamenco !

Guitar World : "Your solo guitar on "Double Talkin' Jive" is really impressive..."

Slash : "Thanx. I loved to make this stuff. This Ramirez is one of my best guitar's digging ; very expensive, but wonderful."

Slash, guitar world magazine, 1992.

He's talking about the acoustic solo, that one is indeed played by Slash.

Welcome to the Jungle - lead over intro.

Nightrain - first part of solo.

Mr Brownstone - the fall down on main riff.

Out Ta Get Me - some joint lead parts.

Paradise City - some parts in main riff and some in outro behind Slash's.

Think About You - main lead.

Rocket Queen - the verse phrasing behind the vocals.

Move to the City - verse phrasing behind the vocals.

One In a Million - the only electric guitar.

Back Off Bitch - intro solo.

Double Talkin Jive - in the original prints I have of cd, cassette and vinyl it states Izzy as the main lead and if so is probably using Slash's set up. Remember tone doesn't come from the person, it comes from the rig! The phrasing is very Izzy and also very different from Slash's beast of a live solo but I guess the jury is out on this one.

Pretty Tied Up - sitar intro.

Estranged - listen on headphones, his guitar is very faint to the left playing alongside Slash's lead parts.

As for the songs Slash had to play for him on the Illusions they are simply the ones he is not credited for i.e:

The Garden,

Civil War,

Shotgun Blues (Axl plays rhythm on this one)

Breakdown (Izzy played acoustic guitar only),

Locomotive.

None of the above had Izzy on electric rhythm or lead and thats where Slash had to do his parts.

He also plays a lot of lead on his later solo records.

• Like 1

The more I listen to it the more I am convinced it's Izzy... the solo really isn't played that great, I'd like to think that Slash would have played it more smoothly and with more notes in it, the way he played it live basically.

Edited by EvanG

The more I listen to it the more I am convinced it's Izzy... the solo really isn't played that great, I'd like to think that Slash would have played it more smoothly and with more notes in it, the way he played it live basically.

Exactly this.

This is what led me to check the liner notes in the first place all those years ago.

^^^

But can't you hear it's Slash fuckin' wailing there though? I mean, jesus. Get to know his playing a little more. The fucker is playing his tits off with his bends, his phrasing, his sound (which mainly comes from the fingers) doing shit Izzy never did in his life.

And their playing styles are very different so all the more weird. How many pages are we at now? 4? 5? talking about this shit. It's Slash. There can only be one.

Please show me any other case where Izzy is fuckin' wailing like Slash does (that's right, it's Slash) on DTJ. One instance where it even sounds kinda the same. Remotely close. So stubborn.

Edited by Rovim

^^^

But can't you hear it's Slash fuckin' wailing there though? I mean, jesus. Get to know his playing a little more. The fucker is playing his tits off with his bends, his phrasing, his sound (which mainly comes from the fingers) doing shit Izzy never did in his life.

And their playing styles are very different so all the more weird. How many pages are we at now? 4? 5? talking about this shit. It's Slash. There can only be one.

Please show me any other case where Izzy is fuckin' wailing like Slash does (that's right, it's Slash) on DTJ. One instant where it even sounds kinda the same. Remotely close. So stubborn.

This is fun... you take this so seriously... I'm starting to think you are Slash secretly posting under this name and you can't stand that Izzy is getting credit for your work.

But seriously, I've been listening to Slash's guitar work since the 80s, and even though the tone makes me think it is Slash, the playing suggest it could have been Izzy as far as I'm concerned. Because like I said... that solo isn't that impressive and I think Slash would have killed it more, the way he does it live.

This is fun... you take this so seriously... I'm starting to think you are Slash secretly posting under this name and you can't stand that Izzy is getting credit for your work.

But seriously, I've been listening to Slash's guitar work since the 80s, and even though the tone makes me think it is Slash, the playing suggest it could have been Izzy as far as I'm concerned. Because like I said... that solo isn't that impressive and I think Slash would have killed it more, the way he does it live.

Not every Slash solo is a technical marvel. Technique never came first for Slash. Not while he was in Guns. His Don't Cry solo is fairly simple, KOHD, Since I Don't Have You, and the first 2 November Rain solos for example.

Listen to the solo and try to pick up how fluid the playing is. It's actually brilliant: from the start of the solo, listen from the 1:22 mark to 1:30. Stop. Listen to that a few times.

The sound is full, the playing too fluid and pretty for Izzy. Listen to the bend vibrato in the 1:58-1:59 mark. Classic Slash bend.

2:21 to 2:26 - a short flurry of notes that Izzy never does. Doesn't play like that. Slash always does that. There are many more examples.

The solo is like one huge melody that spreads out. Izzy does not play like that. Now listen to Izzy's Think About You solo. Listen to his Nightrain solo. More Chuck Berry, not fluid, choppy.

He also has a great sound, but it's different. Very different compared to Slash's big Les Paul/Marshall sound and how hard he plays, presses with his fingers on the strings. It's 2 totally different worlds and approaches.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I agree, Slash doesn't shred just for the sake of shredding, he's never been that kind of player, it's always been about the feel with him, and that, among many other things, makes him the great player he is.

But... another reason why I think it might be Izzy is because at around the 2:20 mark, when the electric part of the song starts to fade out, the solo kinda reaches its climax. The drums start changing pace and start going all over the place and it is a moment in a guitar solo when any player that knows how to shred would totally shred it... even Slash, like the way he does it live. But on the track it doesn't happen... the guitar starts playing a little bit faster but it sounds like someone who can't really shred or at least isn't very good at it... like Izzy for example. Slash would have played it much faster at that moment in the song.

Edited by EvanG

I agree, Slash doesn't shred just for the sake of shredding, he's never been that kind of player, it's always been about the feel with him, and that, among many other things, makes him the great player he is.

But... another reason why I think it might be Izzy is because at around the 2:20 mark, when the electric part of the song starts to fade out, the solo kinda reaches its climax. The drums start changing pace and start going all over the place and it is a moment in a guitar solo when any player that knows how to shred would totally shred it... even Slash, like the way he does it live. But on the track it doesn't happen... the guitar starts playing a little bit faster but it sounds like someone who can't really shred or at least isn't very good at it... like Izzy for example. Slash would have played it much faster at that moment in the song.

But Slash decides how fast he wants to play. He's saying something with his guitar. Just because you can talk fast, doesn't mean you always do.

Marc said, (a person that actually knows Slash) that Slash chooses to slow shit down. One of the best things about his playing is his knack for knowing when to play a few notes or many notes, very slow, to fast, to faster, to borderline shred.

He uses his left hand for speed more. The way he plays his pull offs/hammer ons create a part of his sound. But that's kinda my point: there are too many Slash things about the solo to not be Slash.

And if ever in doubt, always go back to his bend vibrato. Besides, the very first note of the solo is enough to hear it's Slash if you can recognize his playing. And I don't think you can. The booklet had a mistake in it.

And you did not give me a single example of Izzy playing like that, and there isn't one. He never played like that.

Edited by Rovim

Fact is Izzy wrote the song, fact is Izzy got credit for playing it, fact is it doesn't sound like a typical Slash solo, fact is live it's played very differently while normally Slash plays solos not that much different from the recording, so enough reasons for me not to know for sure who it was. Fact that the tone sounds like Slash can be explained easily. No point in continuing this discussion because unless someone was there when it was recorded, we will never know. Even if some of you Slash-know-it-alls think you know everything about it, but that's arrogant thinking, so I'm outta here!

Fact is Izzy wrote the song,

Stradlin wrote many songs for Guns yet, assuming Izzy played this guitar solo on DTJ, played only only solo! Logically Slash would have played the DTJ solos as he had done so on Izzy's other songs, e.g. You Could Be Mine and 14 Years, et al.

And we are still left pondering on the motivation behind, an Izzy recording the guitar solo only to hand it to Slash when that song came to be played live? There is no logical reason for this?

There doesn't need to be a logical reason for it. And I already answered that in this thread... if on the recording Izzy played both lead and rhythm guitar like he got credit for, he had to hand one part over to Slash while playing the song live, and seeing as Slash obviously is the better guitar player out of the two of them it wouldn't be so strange letting him go crazy on the solo part because it's the ultimate jam song after all. Or maybe Izzy couldn't play it live as well as in the studio (a problem a lot of musicians have) so he let Slash take care of it... there are really enough reasons. I don't know if any of these reasons are true, but my point is... neither can any of you know this for sure yet you all seem to think so. At least I can admit that I can't be sure because I wasn't there in the studio when it was recorded. Anyway, now I'm really outta here!

Guns were never that sort of band though, jammy and loose. They were never Crazy Horse or the Dead. They usually replicated the songs as faithfully as possible, give or take a degree of improvisation in Slash's solos. Izzy also used to do his solo in Nightrain. Presumably he would have done the exact same for DTJ, playing his solo before handing it over to Slash. I see no reason why that would not happen?

1min55 to 2min10 : climax of "Dtj" solo's with awesome bends... Just after listen on the same disc "Dead Horse" solo (1min33 to 1min00).

The sound, the progression, the same tone, same skillz.

One truth : A big Les Paul 59 plugged into a big Marshall Jubilee ; and Slash behind.

Booklet notes was a mistake or a misunderstood, between writers, performers imho.