which songs dose Izzy Stradlin plays lead guitar on Guns N' Roses ablums ?

1min55 to 2min10 : climax of "Dtj" solo's with awesome bends... Just after listen on the same disc "Dead Horse" solo (1min33 to 1min00).

The sound, the progression, the same tone, same skillz.

One truth : A big Les Paul 59 plugged into a big Marshall Jubilee ; and Slash behind.

Booklet notes was a mistake or a misunderstood, between writers, performers imho.

There are bends on the intro to Back Off Bitch.

My booklet also says that is Izzy.

So it must be Slash then?

Point is... Nobody knows 100% unless we get the answer from Slash, Izzy or Mike Clink.

At some point there probably was an Izzy on lead version.

Do you mean because he wrote the song? it's possible. But I think the solo on the studio version is unmistakably Slash. A few people talked about it years ago in a VR forum. At first some thought it was Izzy, but then someone said the booklet was wrong. The booklet must have a mistake, cause it's Slash playing the solo that made the album, and also Slash always plays the solos he composed in Guns songs, but even if he didn't, he's the one performing it live and on the studio version of DTJ.

Edited by Rovim

Do you mean because he wrote the song? it's possible. But I think the solo on the studio version is unmistakably Slash. A few people talked about it years ago in a VR forum. At first some thought it was Izzy, but then someone said the booklet was wrong. The booklet must have a mistake, cause it's Slash playing the solo that made the album, and also Slash always plays the solos he composed in Guns songs, but even if he didn't, he's the one performing it live and on the studio version of DTJ.

Yes I think Izzy handed in a batch of songs he thought were finished,that Axl thought were just demos. Izzy didnt really want to work on them. So Slash often doubled up on rythmn and lead to finish them. There's a lot of tracks I can't really hear where Izzy is really involved like Don't Damn Me, The Garden, Locomotive...

Yes I think Izzy handed in a batch of songs he thought were finished,that Axl thought were just demos. Izzy didnt really want to work on them. So Slash often doubled up on rythmn and lead to finish them. There's a lot of tracks I can't really hear where Izzy is really involved like Don't Damn Me, The Garden, Locomotive...

Yeah, but also Izzy is rarely interested of playing guitar solos, and when he did in Guns, you can hear it... it was very different compared to Slash's solos. So different that even the whole approach of the solos is totally different. In Nightrain, you are being pulled away from Izzy's approach as soon as Slash starts his part of the solo. The difference in tone, note choices, and fluidity is a nice example of how different Slash and Izzy as musical ingredients were.

Izzy once said something like he's relieved when the singer starts to sing cause it's the only thing that stops Slash from noodling.

Edited by Rovim

I remember Izzy saying Slash was a bit of a noodler. I'm not sure Izzy really wanted Slash in the band. It worked but not in the way Izzy was hoping. Imagine Izzy solo albums with Axl as Tom Petty. But Sunset is where the girls were...

I don't know if you're a guitar player yourself, but you have to be realistic... I think Izzy isn't even playing on Locomotive, he didn't get credit for it in the booklet, probably because that is not an easy song to play... you need some skills to play that one tight, same with Don't Damn Me. Both are Slash songs and he's not keeping it too simple. I'm not saying Izzy is a bad guitar player but he was pretty average and I don't think he was able to play those songs well and that is probably the reason. That is also probably why they never played those songs live.

I don't know if you're a guitar player yourself, but you have to be realistic... I think Izzy isn't even playing on Locomotive, he didn't get credit for it in the booklet, probably because that is not an easy song to play... you need some skills to play that one tight, same with Don't Damn Me. Both are Slash songs and he's not keeping it too simple. I'm not saying Izzy is a bad guitar player but he was pretty average and I don't think he was able to play those songs well and that is probably the reason. That is also probably why they never played those songs live.

You rely on the fact Slash is a much better guitar player, technically speaking, compared to Izzy. And the booklet as well. It doesn't really mean anything.

I'm a playa. But I don't need to know how to play guitar to recognize it's Slash. I actually listen to it and recognize it's Slash, like many others. Slash's playing is very unique sounding. You just don't know who it is you're listening to, no offense.

Edited by Rovim

You rely on the fact Slash is a much better guitar player, technically speaking, compared to Izzy. And the booklet as well. It doesn't really mean anything.

I'm a playa. But I don't need to know how to play guitar to recognize it's Slash. I actually listen to it and recognize it's Slash, like many others. Slash's playing is very unique sounding. You just don't know who it is you're listening to, no offense.

What are you talking about? I'm not even talking about DTJ anymore, as I said before I'm done with that discussion. I merely reacted on Freedom Fighter's comment that you cannot hear Izzy's playing on songs like locomotive and Don't Damn Me.

• Like 1

What are you talking about? I'm not even talking about DTJ anymore, as I said before I'm done with that discussion. I merely reacted on Freedom Fighter's comment that you cannot hear Izzy's playing on songs like locomotive and Don't Damn Me.

My bad. Sorry. Brutally stoned.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

You cant here him on Locomotive cos he isn't on Locomotive and as such isn't credited. Thats one of the songs along with Civil War that Slash had to record both rhythm guitars left and right as well as his leads down the middle.

On Don't Damn Me I can hear Izzy perfect. His guitar comes in chording with the drums while Slash is riffing at start, during the main riff he plays the more stuttered version in left side and during the verse he is ringing out. He also plays the little eastern lick at the end of the solo. Listen with earphones and you'll see what I mean. :-)

My bad. Sorry. Brutally stoned.

well, that explains a lot...

Lit up another one and watch this

You cant here him on Locomotive cos he isn't on Locomotive and as such isn't credited.

That's what I was saying. And I think it's because it's not an easy song to play and Slash could probably play it better than Izzy would have, if he tried to play it in the first place. But that's just my two cents.

1min55 to 2min10 : climax of "Dtj" solo's with awesome bends... Just after listen on the same disc "Dead Horse" solo (1min33 to 1min00).

The sound, the progression, the same tone, same skillz.

One truth : A big Les Paul 59 plugged into a big Marshall Jubilee ; and Slash behind.

Booklet notes was a mistake or a misunderstood, between writers, performers imho.

There are bends on the intro to Back Off Bitch.

My booklet also says that is Izzy.

So it must be Slash then?

Point is... Nobody knows 100% unless we get the answer from Slash, Izzy or Mike Clink.

For to make this kind of bends, you need a guitar with big sustain... On UYI recordings sessions, Izzy used one & only guitar .

In 1991's period, he was played on Les Paul custom (Rock in Rio 91), a Les Paul junior (3 dates of UYI's tour warm-up) and a Fender Telecaster during Alpine Valley concert in May 91 till' Wembley Stadium in August 1991, last Izzy's show with the band ; (until May 1993).

And, it's very specific with Izzy, from GN'R began to his solo career, he used one guitar by one guitar.

Slash was the only one to have THE GUITAR ! A Les Paul 59 replica built by Kris Derrig, better than better Gibson Les Paul exists... (Ok, originals 58/59 models were awesome indeed).

Anyway, it's like what you prefers : booklet lies or the shocking truth !

Edited by okrkda

The style of interplay on Locomotive is definitely reminiscent of Slash and Izzy together but the credits and tone clearly proves that it is all Slash.

Don't Damn Me is one of the UYI tracks where Izzy is very prominent. Only slightly lower in the mix and very important to the feel of the song.

Should we all agree to disagree?!

Maybe we should all just use our ears. One thing you can't replicate is bend vibrato. Guitar playing is something very unique, and if you listen long enough to a guitar player, you start to recognize his playing. Especially guitar players like Slash, that have a very obvious big and unique sound. Full of shit he pulls his way. Good shit.

It's like people that can recognize what car it is based on just listening to a few seconds of the motor running, only recognizing guitar players by listening to them soloing is easier I think.

My point is Slash's playing is very distinctive. There is no doubt about who's playing that solo. It's Izzy Stradlin.

I agreed with everything you said, loved your analogy until you said the Double Talkin' Jive Solo is Izzy Stradlin. Way to drop the ball man. You guys can debate it all fucking night long and for the rest of the 12 days of Christmas but if you read Slash's book and various other sources Slash clearly mentions recording the electric solo for Double Talkin Jive, but nobody wants to dig that deep. Plus the booklet says Slash on LEAD first & Rhythm Second.

I think you should learn how to play guitar and try to attempt that tone with Izzys gear and YOU WON'T DUPLICATE IT. Developing a musical ear takes a few years as well as having a natural ear for tone, that tone on the record is that #34 Modded SIR Marshall amp and Les Paul solid body which Izzy never used in conjunction with Slash on recordings. The note response from that amplifier gives it away as Slash, the clicks of the initial hit of Slash's fingers on the fretboard touching the strings is identical to the finger slide opening to Garden of Eden, that amp is unmistakable regardless of the guitar.

I think Izzy said something about all the cord changes in Coma. And even stuff like Nov Rain, Breakdown and Estranged not sure where he's really involved.