Are Axl's current vocals enough?

Axl needs full rasp, 5 wardrobe changes during Civil War and spandex so tight that his ball sack resembles a walnut without its shell or its NOT a real GNR show.

Honestly people, it'd be great to see the 5 of them together showing just how much they've evolved past the 90s. If Axl wants to do some new arrangements or vocals with Slash and the band I'd be all for it. Freshin' it up, we've all seen these songs played live a million times in their glory years. Think what they did with Knockin' On Heavens Door and how that evolved from 1987-91,92 & 93 and how the intros to Double Talkin' Jive were always different each show.

That old chemistry will be there regardless of what they play and how they play it.

The Stones evolved, Bon Jovi Evolved (that's a swear word I know, but I secretly like their music and they were of the same period as GNR), Metallica evolved...oh wait bad example, but things were good until 2000 with them. GNR has always been ahead of their time, too big to play the same shit and are surely talented enough to make hit songs in their 50s.

John Fogerty sounds amazing even at 70, though its not what he sounded like in the late 60s he still finds a way to make his songs still HIS songs. in fact in many ways I find him more rocking now than he was with CCR, mostly cuz he updated his guitar tone and can still play & hit the notes, just cleaner singing.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB

I picked up a copy of Guns N Roses Live at the Ritz from Hastings and Axl's vocals kinda sucked...he's out of breath, out of tune. Idk when you watch it it's great you aren't distracted by the vocals but when you only hear the vocals then you realize he wasn't that good that night.

Tons of rasp though.

I think he had better performances in 06 and 10 though then that 88 performance at the ritz. His performances in 06-10 were just cleaner and better. However there is no denying his stage presence from 88-93

It's really hard to understand people that think Axl sounds good 2011-2014. The difference is so blatant. It's also very inconsistent: sometimes the clean vocals are bearable, other times they are completely cringeworthy. The GG was a terrible performance, really. I remember there was a lot of expectation because Axl had been barely sufferable after an atrocious South America tour, and he totally blew it. There was literally one single decent moment, the bridge in Better.

I'd say that, since RIR 2011, Axl's vocal could be described as "good" on merely three occasions: Philadelphia 2012 and parts of the two last shows in Vegas 2014.

Pedrolg did you actually attend the GG or did you just watch it on the livestream or YouTube. I was there and it was awesome. Very special And exciting night.

You're lucky, I'd love to have been there. However, let's not kid ourselves, he sounded like shit most of the night. I imagine it had something to do with fact that he walked on stage then waited half an hour for the venue to sort out technical difficulties. Assuming he warmed up his voice beforehand it wouldn't have made a difference after 30 minutes of standing about. Then when he went on stage he seemed to be pushing hard to get rasp out (see TIL).

Pedrolg did you actually attend the GG or did you just watch it on the livestream or YouTube. I was there and it was awesome. Very special And exciting night.

You're lucky, I'd love to have been there. However, let's not kid ourselves, he sounded like shit most of the night. I imagine it had something to do with fact that he walked on stage then waited half an hour for the venue to sort out technical difficulties. Assuming he warmed up his voice beforehand it wouldn't have made a difference after 30 minutes of standing about. Then when he went on stage he seemed to be pushing hard to get rasp out (see TIL).

You are entitled to your opinion. But I thought it was a great performance. One of my all time favs.

I really do not understand how you can think that performance was great. I watched a livestream and was very, very disappointed.

Aside from the excitement of being to a live concert, there isn't that much of a difference between the sound live and on recordings, specially in a professionally filmed gig such as the GG. Most fans agree that Axl sounded awesome in 2010. Guess what? In most clips of most concerts that year, he sounds awesome. It's consensus that Axl has sounded like shit for the most part since 2011 - it's the same live or in recordings.

If you found a single clip from 2010, one of those epic shows where fat badass Axl rasped the shit out of everything, where he sounded like he did in the GG Awards, I would consider the argument that the recordings convey a false impression of his vocal quality.

Professionally shot, utter shit:

Cell phone shot, badass uncle Axl:

Axl voice has been nothing but utter shit since Rio 2011. Few exceptions here and there, but still shit.

Are Axl's current vocals enough? For comedy purposes, sure. For a reunion or a new album? No fucking way.

You are entitled to your opinion. But I truly thought that Axl sounded great in 2014. The GG was such a great night. Still can't believe that I was fortunate enough to attend that show.

I agree with you. I think Axl's vocals over the past few years have been vastly underrated and I actually think from 2011 to 2014 they got stronger. I think most of the criticism of his performance is based more on people's perception of his physical appearance than on his vocals. I think he's sounded much better from 11-14 than he did in 02.
I also don't see anything wrong with his looks. He is still very handsome.

lol. No celeb worship at all!!!

The GG show was embarrassingly bad. How can you defend that?

I've seen Axl three times since 2000. And he was on point and sounded great each show.

But to praise shows where he clearly had a bad night - I just don't understand the logic in that.

• Like 1

You are entitled to your opinion. I still stand by mine, Axl sounded awesome in all the shows that I saw in 2014, especially the GG.

Oh c'mon cut the crap

You know that Axl sounded bad

It's not a matter of opinions it's a matter of a pair of ears

Maybe your definition of awesome is " i worship Axl because he is Axl"

Then your opinion or viewpoint is invalid

and you are NOT entitled to your own opinion

you're an ad programmed by team brazil to spew nonsense here

You guys are entitled to your opinions but Axl sucked at GG, a disastrous embarrassment he was. :)

Golden Gods along with RIRIV and Bridge School were truly awful moments. I found myself actually feeling bad for the dude at points in each. I've seen the guy be capable of so much more through the years.

• Like 1

You are entitled to your opinion. I still stand by mine, Axl sounded awesome in all the shows that I saw in 2014, especially the GG.

Oh c'mon cut the crap

You know that Axl sounded bad

It's not a matter of opinions it's a matter of a pair of ears

Maybe your definition of awesome is " i worship Axl because he is Axl"

Then your opinion or viewpoint is invalid

and you are NOT entitled to your own opinion

you're an ad programmed by team brazil to spew nonsense here

Nobody has programmed me to do anything. I truly enjoyed all the shows that I attended.

Edited by Little EMO Annie

It would have been better if he sang with his normal voice at Bridge school, he knew he was ill and din't reach high notes, so instead of doing his signature mickey mouse voice, he should have sang it normally.

Edited by Slash787

It would have been better if he sang with his normal voice at Bridge school, he knew he was ill and din't reach high notes, so instead of doing his signature mickey mouse voice, he should have sang it normally.

When you have strep throat or any viral illness it's hard to know what your voice is going to do at any given moment.

Well I never believed the throat excuse, but regardless, it was a sad pathetic moment for him.

As was the GG show. Terrible from the moment Ashba botched the intro.

Every person who has supported Axl's slow descent into sad mediocrity is a fraud. Not talking about fans, but those around him.

People can sugar it all they want, he should not have ended up like this. He could and should have been so much more.

Now Slash is back in his life, and this estrangement is finally over, he can turn things around. I hope the reunion is a catalyst for much better things.

When you have strep throat or any viral illness it's hard to know what your voice is going to do at any given moment.

Not when singing is your job. Every other dude would it known the moment he does the soundcheck. More likely even before. But Mr Rose doesn't do soundchecks, right?

Not when singing is your job. Every other dude would it known the moment he does the soundcheck. More likely even before. But Mr Rose doesn't do soundchecks, right?

Maybe he thought it would go better. If he had canceled the performance due to illness people would have criticized him for that.

Maybe he thought it would go better. If he had canceled the performance due to illness people would have criticized him for that.

No they wouldn't have.

People get sick. It happens.

It just seems to coincide when Axl flubs up major vents after he hasn't performed for awhile. Funny how it always seems to happen to Axl - but not to other singers.

Annie -

Do you think Axl prepares himself vocally before starting a tour?

And how would you rank his performance at the infamous rain jacket Rio show?

I am sure that he prepares himself vocally for a show.

That Rio show with all the rain was crazy. Personally I think it was too dangerous to perform on a stage with electrical equipment in all that rain.

Here's the thing though: every other band was able to perform just fine.

One thing I think people miss about the users on this board is that we all WANT to root for Axl. But when these flimsy excuses come up instead of just owning up to things it makes it really hard.

• Like 3