Star Trek Beyond

Georgy Zhukov

I'm debating even watching this movie. I'm a die hard trekker obviously, but when they decided to make Sulu gay (which even George Takei dislikes) It really ruins it for me.

Star trek has never really been about sex or sexual orientation with the exception of Kirk, who loves women. I mean 90% of the characters aren't even married. Star trek is

kind of like the military, I mean these people are at work. Star trek doesn't even discuss God, faith or religion and until now, sexual orientation. Just to throw that crap in there 

to suit this terrible trend of putting gays in movies (as if it's cool) is just a terrible idea. You can mess with a lot of things but to screw with MY Star trek that I've supported for 30

years is a No Go in my opinion. What's next? Is Axl going to write a song about a gay relationship? Would you support that? Hmmm.... I wonder.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 31illusions said:

Star trek doesn't even discuss God, faith or religion and until now, sexual orientation.

2700706782_341748b759.jpg

To be fair Star Trek TMP was originally going to be about the search for God which they ended up doing in Star Trek V. Also, DS9 had a whole main story religious angle with the prophets who resided in the wormhole. 

That said, I agree that it was a dumb decision to make Sulu gay, especially if the inspiration for that was George Takei's personal life. By the same token they'd have to make Kirk a huge asshole who forgets his crew members' names:

5 hours ago, Bumblefeet said:

To be fair Star Trek TMP was originally going to be about the search for God which they ended up doing in Star Trek V. Also, DS9 had a whole main story religious angle with the prophets who resided in the wormhole. 

Yes true. TBH DS9 was never my favorite. As for Star Trek V, it was poor attempt at a God story line which turned out to be an alien anyway, but they did try I guess.

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is the controversial transgendered episode where Riker falls for some weird alien tranny.

Yes, but the character was played by a woman who fell for Riker who was a man. So it wasn't really a stretch IMO.

Edited by 31illusions

Well I saw the movie. All I can say is Wow. It was fantastic. Very Trek oriented. Lots of Easter eggs in it for the fans.

It was 85% action. Great story. I didn't even care Sulu was gay. The movie was well written and Justin Lin did a great job!

I might even see it again.

Edited by 31illusions

Everyone loves this movie but me. Idk, it felt like fast and furious in space to me. Weak villain, bare bones story, too much action, everything was to conveniant, too much pseudo science mumbo jumbo solving problems on the fly (a little of this is ok, but it was every scene), the beastie boys scene was dumb for me.

Glad a lot of others are enjoying it though. I like this series so I still hope it does well even though this entry bummed me out

• Like 1

5 hours ago, highvoltage said:

I enjoyed the first two (as a complete non-fan of Star Trek) and I'm hoping I'll enjoy this one as well.

Me too, I wasnt expecting to as I don't like the tv series or old films at all. I'm definitely going to see the new one. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 1

Saw it this week. Basically Star Trek meets Thundercats but I didn't mind this; for once I was impressed with the alien world as well as the world building, it looked very imaginative. Seeing the trailer, I feared they were going to overdo it with the Kirk daddy issues but thankfully that was kept at a minimum. Same for the gay Sulu stuff, you can tell they wrote this in to woo the PC crowd and to be honest, Gay Takei's reaction was kinda over blown anyway -pardon the pun.

I really liked it, had a good sense of adventure and for once it didn't rely overly on existing Trek mythology.

• 2 weeks later...
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 1:01 AM, highvoltage said:

I enjoyed the first two (as a complete non-fan of Star Trek) and I'm hoping I'll enjoy this one as well.

Same here.

The first Star Trek film I watched was 2009, and I thought it was great. The second one was fairly good as well so I will most definitely go see this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:23 AM, Oldest Goat said:

I didn't know that about them making Sulu gay which I agree is very heavy handed, but Star Trek doesn't discuss God/faith/religion?...uh I have a question!

See my post I made previously.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:23 AM, 31illusions said:

As for Star Trek V, it was poor attempt at a God story line which turned out to be an alien anyway, but they did try I guess.

• 3 weeks later...