Final Fantasy

AtariLegend

• 3 months later...
On 9/28/2016 at 3:35 AM, Oldest Goat said:

What they need to do is an HD remake of the best in the series, Final Fantasy IX

Not getting my hopes up.

I'll probably pick up World of Final Fantasy at the end of this month. FFXV isn't until the end of November, but that the fact that they announced their'd be a season pass is kind of disheartening. 

It better be good though.

• 2 months later...

I have to be honest, this is probably one of the most disappointing game-ing experiences in a while. My expectations were just too much.

Gameplay is okay, but the level designs are boring a generic and the world doesn't seem worth of a FF game. Their's very little coherent story either, it seems like they just copied-pasted everything to the anime and film. Alot of sections where characters refer to things that don't happen, that seem to have been cut from the game. The motivations of most of the characters isn't fleshed out. It's like Metal Gear Sold V syndrome, except this has an ending. Their are literally multiple trailers showing cut scenes and sections from the game that were cut.

The open world section of the game doesn't really work, because you've already played games like Witcher/Dragon Age and older FF games. Then the final third of the game is more linear than FFXIII ever was.

The game play like I said is okay, but there's very little unique enemies to even make it worth delving into or learning new strategies. Also if you have a few potions, it's very difficult to ever die in this game.

One of the best features of the game is how cool the OP summons (the very few that their are look). The problem is, it's very hard to ever summon them due to the RNG required after you've meet silly conditions. You can literally play until the final chapter and only summon once.

Edited by AtariLegend

On 1/3/2017 at 4:42 PM, AtariLegend said:

I have to be honest, this is probably one of the most disappointing game-ing experiences in a while. My expectations were just too much.

Gameplay is okay, but the level designs are boring a generic and the world doesn't seem worth of a FF game. Their's very little coherent story either, it seems like they just copied-pasted everything to the anime and film. Alot of sections where characters refer to things that don't happen, that seem to have been cut from the game. The motivations of most of the characters isn't fleshed out. It's like Metal Gear Sold V syndrome, except this has an ending. Their are literally multiple trailers showing cut scenes and sections from the game that were cut.

The open world section of the game doesn't really work, because you've already played games like Witcher/Dragon Age and older FF games. Then the final third of the game is more linear than FFXIII ever was.

The game play like I said is okay, but there's very little unique enemies to even make it worth delving into or learning new strategies. Also if you have a few potions, it's very difficult to ever die in this game.

One of the best features of the game is how cool the OP summons (the very few that their are look). The problem is, it's very hard to ever summon them due to the RNG required after you've meet silly conditions. You can literally play until the final chapter and only summon once.

I've seen mostly positive reviews, so this is a bit surprising. Either way, I won't play until there's a PC version, and even then I may not play. FF has gone from fantasy to steampunk to futurism over the course of the series, which is fine, any series this long needs a freshening up IMO, but I really prefer the earlier, fantasy-esque games.

I do remember watching early trailers for XV, and thinking "this is the least Final Fantasy-looking game in the series so far." 

I just bought the HD X/X2 remaster, having an absolute blast with that. Probably won't do X-2, but the price was low enough that I'm OK with that. After 15 years.... I have finally gotten the fucking Jecht Shot right. :lol:

And god damn, I forgot just how badass Auron was.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2017 at 1:23 AM, OmarBradley said:

After 15 years.... I have finally gotten the fucking Jecht Shot right. :lol:

When I was playing through with the re-master, I realized their's a glitch... where if you swim south to the bottom of the ring, then stick to wall going side to side (can do North instead of South). The other team just spins around in circles, they end up moving very slowly to intercept you making it easy to waste time. Can also just pass back forth safely, to boost stats.

Both X/X-2 where alot easier on the end game than I remembered. You don't actually need to farm to 255 in every stat to kill Dark Aeons ect or use Zanmanto. X-2 you can do Monster Arena by just using 3 mechs with quick attack to rape the other side fast too.

Still great game though.

I really want that XII remaster. After XV though, I'm not sure what to expect from the VII remake.

Edited by AtariLegend

• 3 months later...
On 4/27/2017 at 7:18 AM, AtariLegend said:

Been a while since I played FFIX, but this is fucking cruel;

Typical FF with the mini games being the worst part of the games. At least it wasn't as bad as lightning strikes in FFX.

This is a screenshot from when I replayed FFX a few months ago (I didn't even bother with the Thunder Plains dodging, I had Lulu Doublecasting Ultima at 1MP usage anyway :lol:):

ffx.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OmarBradley said:

This is a screenshot from when I replayed FFX a few months ago (I didn't even bother with the Thunder Plains dodging, I had Lulu Doublecasting Ultima at 1MP usage anyway :lol:):

ffx.jpg

The chocobo bit isn't so bad, when you realize that it's RNG sometimes and you randomly get like 5 balloons spawn in a line beside each other in the route you take at the end. That's why you get people claiming it's so easy and they done it on their first try, where as others end up doing it on their 30th try.

I normally give up on the LuLu weapon part too. It's just not fun! Besides she's one of the worse characters for the Dark Aeons/Penance.

Edited by AtariLegend

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age for PS4. It's the remastered version of the special edition of Final Fantasy XII.

I know it's not everyone's taste, but I enjoy it almost infinitely more than XV. It's aged pretty decently for an old Playstation 2 game and almost feels like a breath of fresh air since it's been so long since I played the vanilla version of the game (when I was a kid).

Pivotal point in the series too, given the directions the series went in afterwards too. It's nice having lots of optional areas, a story and class customization again.

There's more story within the first hours of this than their is in the entirety of XV.

Edited by AtariLegend

• 3 months later...
20 minutes ago, OmarBradley said:

I believe its coming to PC early next year. I'll definitely play it. I thought it got good reviews though? Not amazing, but pretty good.

It looks spectacular, has fun gameplay (well for a few hours), but it's basically button mashing in a large/empty world with a terrible story (where unless you watched an Anime film/youtube series you're not quite sure what characters motivations are) where it feels like 50% of the game was cut. The fun game-play gets repetitive, when you realize that you might as well be playing a hack and slash with better graphics. There's barely any magic in the game and it all looks the same.

You get through every fight by just popping a potion.

The final quarter of the game is completely linear. It actually made me look at XIII in a much more positive note.

Edited by AtariLegend

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2017 at 7:13 AM, Oldest Goat said:

XIII is fucking total rubbish and you know it in your heart.

I actually having played 13 fairly recently again, think it's better in retrospect. It's just a lack of depth and cynical linearity till the 11th chapter along with the artificial difficulty (leveling caps each few chapters).

I think if you take the core concepts of Lightning Returns, like city exploration/customization and maybe keep the Monster Capturing from XIII-2, then pump it into XIII you have a pretty good game.

However as it was, XIII although flawed and too linear is still fine. Just a step in the wrong direction.

XIII-2 though shouldn't exist. They take Time Travel and monster capturing which should be fun, then shove it into a flawed game with only a few dozen areas (that you can re-vist repeatedly in different time lines with minor changes) that are almost all copy and pastes from XIII. Playing both games in quick succession really pointed out that XIII-2 is just a cynical lazy cash grab. Then there's the fact that the true ending to the game was put into a DLC that most people probably never played. All of bosses/monsters except the main villain are just copied/pasted from XIII.

Lightning Returns however is a game that I really want to like, but it's so unpolished and the story is a mess. The job switching/customization along with the call backs to other RPGs of yesteryear really could have made it a great game if it had it been on the PS4 and less sloppy. You can also tell that apart from the characters they copied and pasted from the first two games in the trilogy that the rest was swiftly put together swiftly and cost effectively. Some of the characters look like they're high end PS3 models in a PS2 game from a decade beforehand.

Edited by AtariLegend

• 1 year later...

So there's a little known quasi Final Fantasy game coming out this month called Kingdom Hearts 3.

The nonsensical story has never been a strong point in the past, but I don't understand why Square they always use such out off places horrible pop tracks in these games. They have produced some great soundtracks in many of their other their main franchises (Dragon Quest 11 aside).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2019 at 11:04 AM, Oldest Goat said:

I was like 10 when the first game came out and I loved it and it really affected me. But as you say the story has spiraled into a nonsensical convoluted mess since then so I'm expecting it to be a disappointment. Maybe a 7/10

I've seen reviews that say it's good, but disapointing.

I'd expect reviewers to be calling it one of the greatest games ever, even if it was just 8/10. 

Still picking it up in the next few months.

On 25/01/2019 at 4:13 AM, AtariLegend said:

Still picking it up in the next few months.

I’ve got it on preorder from PSN. I don’t normally buy a game until a few months after it’s release, when it drops in price a bit, so I’m hoping this one is worth it. 

I hope it doesn’t take ages to install so I can be playing it when I wake up tomorrow. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...