GnR’s place in hard rock history?

When one considers the history/evolution of hard rock music…the great rock bands/artists like the Stones, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Sabbath, etc...where does GnR fit in? How do they compare…do they even deserve to be in the conversation/debate about the “greatest rock band”, or are they at a level far below the competition? Obviously (or at least IMO) they were far superior to their peers (Motley Crue, Skid Row, the 80’s “hair bands”, etc.), but how do they fare when compared with the real heavy weights such as Zeppelin or the Stones…AFD vs. Sticky Fingers, etc.?

I realize it's very subjective, not necessarily apples to apples comparisons, and that it really boils down to personal preferences...but I'm interested to hear other's opinions on where GnR fits when you look at the overall history of the genre...and from a quality not a quantity perspective (obviously Guns doesn't have a huge catalog).

Edited by foghat43

It's an interesting question. While they're one of my favorite bands ever, I doubt most people would consider them in a conversation about "greatest band ever".

It's hard for most to come with a list of, say top 25 "best" bands ever and try not to include your favorites and try not to exclude your non-favorites.

I'm not a Beatles guy at all. I despise Pink Floyd and U2 but i'd be fooling myself if I didnt put them on such a list and probably way up on it.

Nick Cave is my personal favorite but I wouldnt put him in the top 100

• Like 2

...I despise Pink Floyd...

This hurts me more than any other post I've ever read.

I don't get the appeal. At all. And I have listened to every album multiple times. I just don't get it. Same with U2.

At least The Beatles, I understand. It makes sense.

Floyd to me is just babble disguised as high art.

• Like 2

It's an interesting question. While they're one of my favorite bands ever, I doubt most people would consider them in a conversation about "greatest band ever".

I'm not a Beatles guy at all. I despise Pink Floyd and U2 but i'd be fooling myself if I didnt put them on such a list and probably way up on it.

I sometimes have those thoughts as well, but they always subside when I go back and listen to the records. I think sometimes the bloated image and widespread popular acceptance of those bands overshadows their actual artistic merit. The cynical contrarian in me wants to hate them though.

Edited by Mr. Dude

It's tough. They don't have the catalogue, yet if you were going to create a top 10, or even 5, list of hard rock albums, AfD has got to be there.

So their album is a classic, but the band itself has underachieved.

I think they actually have more material than most people give them credit for. There's 3 albums worth of material on the Illusions alone. You could make the case that there's two albums worth on CD. That's 8 albums right there. They probably have almost as many songs as Zeppelin and the quality of the output is much higher than a band like the Stones.

Too few albums unfortunately.

Fair point...but in my original post I intentionally specified that I wanted to limit the scope of the conversation to the quality of the music, not the quantity...so for example, if you considered GnR at their best (whatever you consider that to be) and compare that to Zep/Stones at their best (whatever you consider that to be), how does Guns hold up?

Edited by foghat43

...I despise Pink Floyd...

This hurts me more than any other post I've ever read.

Floyd to me is just babble disguised as high art.

This one hundred thousand million billion times....the bold bit times infinity!

As the young white girls say: I literally can't even right now.

• Like 1

I think they should have been up there with Queen, Zeppelin, Stones etc, but this^ is a major issue as to why they probably aren't.

Fronted by one of the most unique singers and frontmen of all time and a one of the most unique guitarists of all time, they should be legendary.

Well maybe a way to look at it, is that GN'R especially back in the day were able to cover any other bands songs in a pretty good way,made hit songs with live and let die and KOHD, but there is hardly any band or singer who can cover GN'R right, GUNS have one of those unique unmistakeable sounds and they pretty much revived hardrock/classicrock on their own,and really made some timeless songs so you could give them a good place in rock history maybe as the best band of the 80's/90's?

They could have been easily written off as another 80's hair band with AFD. But tracks like Patience, November Rain, Don't Cry, Coma and pretty much everything on UYI showed they were much more than that. Axl set himself apart from other frontmen at the time and Slash set himself apart from other guitarists. They were both above them all and did their idols proud.

There's Izzy too, he brought the best out of Axl and Slash, him leaving really hurt the songwriting.

Fair point...but in my original post I intentionally specified that I wanted to limit the scope of the conversation to the quality of the music, not the quantity...so for example, if you considered GnR at their best (whatever you consider that to be) and compare that to Zep/Stones at their best (whatever you consider that to be), how does Guns hold up?

It is difficult avoiding that subject though. For every album Guns possess, the other great acts have three! All that can be said is Appetite is one of the best rock n' roll/hard rock records ever.

I think in the top 10... You have the rolling stones, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Journey, U2, The Doors, ACDC, Pink Floyd, The Eagles, Queen, The Beatles... Etc. GnR has to rank up there with them. Their quantity may not be a lot but they do have a lot of hits off of the few albums they do have.

I don't class Stones or Beatles as Hard Rock. Pink Floyd aren't hard rock. Eagles aren't hard rock.

Guns can mix it with ACDC and The Cult as a hard rock band but then they have some epic songs that get them closer to Zepp. Even Aerosmith don't have as much depth of material as Guns or Zepp.