How do we define a GnR "reunion"...what qualifies as one?

I've been reading through a lot of the posts regarding a possible "reunion" and it seems that a lot of people are speculating that it will just be Axl/Slash/Duff plus some other nuGnR guys (such as Fortus). In my opinion, this doesn't really qualify as a GnR "reunion" if only 3/5 of the original band are on board.

I might possibly concede Sorum instead of Adler as the full time drummer, but if (and only if) Adler is mentally/physically incapable of handling a full length show/tour. And if this is the case, then Adler should still be a part of it in some way, even if that means only playing a few songs each night. Adler was instrumental to the sound/groove of AFD.

Izzy is a non-negotiable for me...if there is no Izzy, then it is not really a reunion. That's not to say that I would not enjoy seeing/hearing Axl and Slash performing/recording together again...I would...but still it would not be GnR and it would not be a GnR "reunion". It would be more like when Page and Plant did an album and toured. Sure...it was great to see those guys together again...but nobody called it a Led Zeppelin reunion.

I would even be OK with adding some of the guys from the UYI era such as Dizzy or Gilby. But for me, if it's not Axl/Slash/Duff/Adler/Izzy (plus whoever else), then it is not really a "reunion" at all and we should stop calling it one.

Just my opinion...would like to hear others...and again, I'm not saying it wouldn't be great to see Axl and Slash together. I'm just saying there was more to GnR than just Axl and Slash...

Izzy has said many times that he'd do a reunion and you gotta think that he knows what would go along with it, i.e. a big tour. Maybe his perspective has changed nowadays but I still think he'd do it.

If not, and if Axl wants to keep the 3 guitar player lineup, have Slash/Fortus/Gilby and it should be ok.

aren't axl slash and duff technically the owners? i mean axl owns the name, but the rest of the stuff these guys need to all agree? that's good enough for me to call a reunion if they get together. izzy and steven would be awesome if they wanted to join in.

​​Fair point...but that is for general discussion about the possible announcement of a "reunion", rumors, etc. and there are a lot of topics being discussed there. My question is very specific...I'm trying to narrow the scope of the conversation to "what qualifies as a reunion?".

To people who are never satisfied with anything: AIDS line-up.

To the rest of the world: Slash and Axl. Duff is the cherry on the cake.

Yeah, pretty much this

Axl reunited with Duff and Izzy quite a few times, but the reunion is when Axl and more than 2 former members perform together on the same stage at the same time.

and one of that person is must be Slash somehow... Izzy will be hopping in on London and that's it

Btw i think the hybrid line up idea is the most plausible these days. I don't see Adler in the equation nor Gilby...

Matt is a possibility, though Frank gained a lot of experience and Axl consiered Matt a hired hand too so at the end of the day, the drummer doesn't matter much...

and 4tus looks like Izzy, plays great and is been with Axl since 2002. I would say he deserves it, because he is the least douche from the new line ups :lol:

Edited by Strange Broue

​​Fair point...but that is for general discussion about the possible announcement of a "reunion", rumors, etc. and there are a lot of topics being discussed there. My question is very specific...I'm trying to narrow the scope of the conversation to "what qualifies as a reunion?".

There have been shit loads of threads regarding the reunion, so that is one thread where all the discussion is happening, the admins/mods will lock this thread anyways, so im just giving you a heads up.

There have been shit loads of threads regarding the reunion, so that is one thread where all the discussion is happening, the admins/mods will lock this thread anyways, so im just giving you a heads up.

​OK...thanks...if the mods want to shut it down, I'm fine with that. I didn't realize we could only have one thread pertaining to the "reunion".

​OK...thanks...if the mods want to shut it down, I'm fine with that. I didn't realize we could only have one thread pertaining to the "reunion".

​Actually...I just noticed that there are multiple threads regarding the "reunion"...such as "Gilby Clarke on the Reunion" and "Will the world forgive Axl"...so not sure why the mods would have an issue with this one. But no big deal if they decide to lock it.

Who gives a crap what name to put on it? If it's only Slash, Duff and Axl from the original line up, then too bad, but still cool to see them on stage together (as far as I am concerned)

If Izzy will be part of it, even better.

I don't care how to call it and it shouldn't be a big deal.

I don't understand how people can bitch and moan about "only" Axl/Slash/Duff being involved, yet still be a fan of the UYI era. :crazy:

I think best case scenario, if there's a tour, would be kind of like the 2006 tour where the band brings Izzy along and he plays with them whenever he wants to (assuming he won't be back in the band 'full time').

members nvolved end with UYI 1993 line up.

that is a reunion.

reunion must involve ppl that reunited after a certain number of years.

Axl/Slash/Duff/(Dizzy I guess?) is the reunion, Fortus taking Izzy spot and Frank taking Stevens.

UYI tour 2.0

• Like 1

I'm okay with leaving this for the moment as long as it stays specific, if it becomes about all reunion aspects it will most likely be merged.

• Like 1

The world would buy it as just Axl/Slash. I require Duff on top of that and that is sufficient for me. But ideal would of course Izzys commitment. Drummer thingy does not concern me that much, I would like to hear the popcorn pop but Id go to see em with Peter Criss on the drums. So its all good.

But I am happy if it would just be uncle Axl and Saul. Exciting.

It is only some forum goers who insist Axl/Slash = GNR. I don't know how this idea has got so much traction, other than it was something Axl once bitterly insisted. So of course there are fans who will parrot his opinion.

The last time a casual or former fan paid attention to GNR, is what a reunion consists of. The classic AfD line-up, or something involving people from the UYI line-up.

Any other formation will be a new band. That is not to say it can not work or will not be well received. It's just that those line-ups will not be a reunion, which it doesn't have to be. But if you're going to advertise it as such, then people will expect AfD/UYI. Anything involving members of nuGNR will reduce the appeal of the band. That is just the way it is. For most casual fans, the CD-era has not been good. The band is tainted by all the issues that have gone on and the sub-par music/performances.

It will be most disappointing if Izzy is not involved imo.

Edited by Babooshka

It's not a reunion if it's only 3/5ths of the band.

Hey, if it's really happening it will be amazing to have Slash and Duff back but yeah, not going to lie if it's Frank (who I quite like, just not as a member of Guns N Roses) behind the kit that will take a fair bit of shine off it for me.

Adler would be my #1 wish, but I can see there might be issues there so Matt would be totally acceptable to me...no reason not to get Matt on board.

Izzy? While I think he would be down/up for taking part (nothing to back that up besides what he said years ago) I can accept there's a likelihood he won't be involved- so in that case I wouldn't have my nose put out of joint if Richard plays rhythm over the other obvious choice- Gilby.

I don't rate Gilby.

• Like 1