How do we define a GnR "reunion"...what qualifies as one?

For me axl slash Izzy and duff.. To the general public and media axl slash and duff will die since apparently "guns n roses" was still a band even after Steven and Izzy were Gone. But as far as I'm concerned, appetite, lies, the illusion records, the magic the music even the core of the band was those 4 guys. After that I could care less..

The only GNR reunion is when you have he AFD guys or the UYI guys.

If it's just a few members here and there, then it's a reunion of those guys-- not of GNR.

It's not GNR either

It's a cash grab

No heart and soul= no GNR

I don't understand how people can bitch and moan about "only" Axl/Slash/Duff being involved, yet still be a fan of the UYI era. :crazy:

I think best case scenario, if there's a tour, would be kind of like the 2006 tour where the band brings Izzy along and he plays with them whenever he wants to (assuming he won't be back in the band 'full time').

members nvolved end with UYI 1993 line up.

that is a reunion.

reunion must involve ppl that reunited after a certain number of years.

Axl/Slash/Duff/(Dizzy I guess?) is the reunion, Fortus taking Izzy spot and Frank taking Stevens.

UYI tour 2.0

This X1000

and we should drop Pitman to the Teddy Zig Zag, Tracey, Roberta bag :lol:

Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Adler

Or

Axl, Slash, Duff , Izzy, Adler, Dizzy

Or

Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Sorum, Dizzy

Or

Axl, Slash, Duff, Gilby, Sorum, Dizzy

Those are actual reunions.

Anything else is a brand new band.

All of the above. I would say Gilby instead of Izzy would be a disappointment.

When the guy in the crowd at Leeds(?) 2002 and the guy in the crowd at rock n Rio 2001 pissed off axl, they shouted "where's slash?" Not where's adler, Izzy, sorum, gilby. Thats what the general public wants to see. Axl and slash together.

​The general public also loves Katy Perry and Taylor Swift. I don't really care what the general public accepts as a "reunion". I'm more interested in hearing what the hard core fans, the ones who really get the band and understand their history, etc. think about a "reunion".

From what I've read so far (in this thread and others)...it seems like there is a fairly large % of folks on this forum who believe that Axl/Slash/Duff = GnR. I find this surprising and frankly...disappointing. Izzy was just as crucial to the classic Guns sound/songwriting as Duff, if not more so. And Adler's drumming provided the perfect groove for AFD. Not sure I can find the actual quotes, but I recall both Duff and Izzy stating how essential Adler was to the AFD sound. To each his own...but I just don't buy it that Axl/Slash/Duff = GnR. And I would hate to see this "reunion" be nothing more than just a cash grab for a few of the original members rather than a true reunion.

Where's the love for Izzy and Adler? :shrugs:

Edited by foghat43
  • Like 2

Long time lurker, first time poster here!...

I have a feeling it will be Axl, Slash, Duff, Dizzy.

I reckon Fortus will stay on rhythm guitar, and drums is anyones guess.

Having said that, I wonder if Brent Fitz or Frank Sidoris would get a look in?... probably not. :shrugs:

Welcome to the forum. :)

Axl, Slash and any 2 of the remaining Appetite Line Up would do it for me..

Just Axl, Slash and Duff are not enough with the way Axl looks and sounds these days. I would still go and enjoy it but it just wouldn't be as special as it could be. It would be a lot less exciting and I certainly wouldn't go to as many shows.

Axl, Slash and Duff are clearly the main three, everyone else would be nice to have even if for just a few shows. Let's face it though, all eyes would be on Axl and Slash, their every interaction and every word spoken to and about each other. Everything else would be superfluous at least for the first few shows.

Axl, Slash and Duff are clearly the main three, everyone else would be nice to have even if for just a few shows. Let's face it though, all eyes would be on Axl and Slash, their every interaction and every word spoken to and about each other. Everything else would be superfluous at least for the first few shows.

​How so? How do these three = the "MAIN" three?? And I'm not trying to be argumentative. A lot of folks seem to think this way, and I sincerely want to understand the reasoning/logic that people use to arrive at this conclusion. How is Duff more important than Izzy, or Adler? Why do you require Duff on bass, but any drummer or rhythm guitar player will do?

• Like 1

​How so? How do these three = the "MAIN" three?? And I'm not trying to be argumentative. A lot of folks seem to think this way, and I sincerely want to understand the reasoning/logic that people use to arrive at this conclusion. How is Duff more important than Izzy, or Adler? Why do you require Duff on bass, but any drummer or rhythm guitar player will do?

Duff wrote songs, Duff sung on songs. Adler didn't write anything and just happened to be in the band.

Izzy has been on practically every other tour in some form or another since he left.

Edited by AtariLegend

No Izzy equals no GNR? Come on guys, we all know how good he was on making great tunes and harmonising the band, but let's face it- there won't be a new album (hope I'm proven wrong), it appears to be just a tour/couple of shows. So the person who's gonna play the rhythm guitar won't define what GNR means at all.

Duff wrote songs, Duff sung on songs. Adler didn't write anything and just happened to be in the band.

Izzy has been on practically every other tour in some form or another since he left.

​Duff and Izzy sure didn't think that Adler "just happened to be in the band"...they are on record as saying that he was essential to the classic Guns sound that they achieved on AFD. Do you think that AFD would have sounded the same with Sorum on the drums? I sure don't.

​And so what if Izzy has showed up occasionally to play with Axl...how is this an argument for him NOT being one of the "main" elements of the band and an important piece of any reunion plans? It seems to me that would actually be an argument for Izzy being one of the "main" ones...right? ​

Edited by foghat43
  • Like 1

​Duff and Izzy sure didn't think that Adler "just happened to be in the band"...they are on record as saying that he was essential to the classic Guns sound that they achieved on AFD. Do you think that AFD would have sounded the same with Sorum on the drums? I sure don't.

​And so what if Izzy has showed up occasionally to play with Axl...how is this an argument for him NOT being one of the "main" elements of the band and an important piece of any reunion plans? It seems to me that would actually be an argument for Izzy being one of the "main" ones...right? ​

My point on Izzy is that he'd probably play a few shows at least on any sort of tour, regardless of who's in the band.

Nah I don't think Appetite would have sounded dramatically worse if Matt was on drums from the start instead of Adler.

No Izzy equals no GNR? Come on guys, we all know how good he was on making great tunes and harmonising the band, but let's face it- there won't be a new album (hope I'm proven wrong), it appears to be just a tour/couple of shows. So the person who's gonna play the rhythm guitar won't define what GNR means at all.

​I agree that who's gonna play the rhythm guitar on any future tour won't define what GnR means. That's not the point. What GnR means was already defined in the 80s by Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Adler. Nothing will change that. But Izzy was a crucial element to that "definition". So without him it's not really a reunion...precisely because a significant part of what defined GnR will be missing.

And there seems to be a sense on this forum that who is delivering the vocals (Axl), lead guitar (Slash), and bass (Duff) are somehow not expendable and essential to the sound, but any old hired hand can handle rhythm guitar and drums. So...rhythm guitar is not that big of a deal when it comes to a band's sound...tell that to Keith Richards. ;)

Edited by foghat43

I mean the main three in terms of the world's focus, not that others didn't or wouldn't add value, I just think that's who the majority of eyes are on. There is an argument there to be had that could see it narrowed down to just Axl and Slash.

Adler's instrument doesn't lend itself to receiving writing credits- that doesn't equate to him not being a part of the songwriting process.

You know, I've never read or heard any of the guys who have been or are in Guns N Roses downplay and dismiss Adler and what he brought to the band- only people on forums.

• Like 1

It isn't a reunion without all the original members.

It's basically just another version of the band. GnR 7.0.

Reunion will just be used as a marketing ploy so the tour will make as much money as possible.

I personally don't care. I just hope Axl puts out a new album in 2016 and sounds good on tour.

As many members as possible of the classic band would just make it cooler.

Those of us who were around when the classic lineup and second line up were together probably aren't as hung up on who all is involved. We've seen Axl and Slash play together. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube you can watch.

As long as Axl is involved - everything else is gravy.

It isn't a reunion without all the original members.

It's basically just another version of the band. GnR 7.0.

Reunion will just be used as a marketing ploy so the tour will make as much money as possible.

I personally don't care. I just hope Axl puts out a new album in 2016 and sounds good on tour.

As many members as possible of the classic band would just make it cooler.
Those of us who were around when the classic lineup and second line up were together probably aren't as hung up on who all is involved. We've seen Axl and Slash play together. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube you can watch.

As long as Axl is involved - everything else is gravy.

​I disagree...I was around when the AFD lineup and the UYI lineups were together...and that's why I think it is important who is involved. In fact, I would think it would probably be the exact opposite...those who are latecomers to the GnR party and those who liked the various versions of nuGnR are most likely the ones who don't care if the "reunion" is just some type of Frankenstein-hybrid of original members plus hired guns from the nuGnR era.

I mean the main three in terms of the world's focus, not that others didn't or wouldn't add value, I just think that's who the majority of eyes are on. There is an argument there to be had that could see it narrowed down to just Axl and Slash.

​Well, yeah...people can make any argument they want to. Some people would even argue that just Axl by himself = GnR. The question is...do those arguments hold water? Not really. If people applied the same twisted logic to other bands that some have tried to apply to GnR...then Plant's "Pictures at Eleven" was one hell of a great Led Zeppelin album, and the Plant and Page tour was a Led Zeppelin reunion. ;)

• Like 1