How do we define a GnR "reunion"...what qualifies as one?

I can see the logic behind Axl/Duff/Slash being a reunion. UYI was the height of their popularity. Of the original touring members only those three were left by the end of the UYI tour. Steven already gone prior to and Izzy checking out toward the beginning.

Picking the Axl/Duff/Slash as a reunion is having low expectations so you won't be disappointed. Izzy is known to pop in and play a few songs on GNR tours and even if he isn't the main rhythm guitarist he likely will still do so. Steven is a question on whether he can handle a full tour and if he would be able to handle songs that were created after AFD.

I would love to have an Axl/Duff/Slash part time Izzy (preferably full time) and Steven popping in to play AFD songs.

It isn't a reunion without all the original members.

It's basically just another version of the band. GnR 7.0.

Reunion will just be used as a marketing ploy so the tour will make as much money as possible.

I personally don't care. I just hope Axl puts out a new album in 2016 and sounds good on tour.

As many members as possible of the classic band would just make it cooler.

Those of us who were around when the classic lineup and second line up were together probably aren't as hung up on who all is involved. We've seen Axl and Slash play together. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube you can watch.

As long as Axl is involved - everything else is gravy.

​I disagree...I was around when the AFD lineup and the UYI lineups were together...and that's why I think it is important who is involved. In fact, I would think it would probably be the exact opposite...those who are latecomers to the GnR party and those who liked the various versions of nuGnR are most likely the ones who don't care if the "reunion" is just some type of Frankenstein-hybrid of original members plus hired guns from the nuGnR era.

Axl, Slash and Duff are clearly the main three, everyone else would be nice to have even if for just a few shows. Let's face it though, all eyes would be on Axl and Slash, their every interaction and every word spoken to and about each other. Everything else would be superfluous at least for the first few shows.

​How so? How do these three = the "MAIN" three?? And I'm not trying to be argumentative. A lot of folks seem to think this way, and I sincerely want to understand the reasoning/logic that people use to arrive at this conclusion. How is Duff more important than Izzy, or Adler? Why do you require Duff on bass, but any drummer or rhythm guitar player will do?

I mean the main three in terms of the world's focus, not that others didn't or wouldn't add value, I just think that's who the majority of eyes are on. There is an argument there to be had that could see it narrowed down to just Axl and Slash.

​Well, yeah...people can make any argument they want to. Some people would even argue that just Axl by himself = GnR. The question is...do those arguments hold water? Not really. If people applied the same twisted logic to other bands that some have tried to apply to GnR...then Plant's "Pictures at Eleven" was one hell of a great Led Zeppelin album, and the Plant and Page tour was a Led Zeppelin reunion. ;)

Members of the band have been and gone pretty much since the bands inception, as fans we are sort of used to that with the majority having their personal preferred line up. A reunion at this point is banking on the fact most people are interested in seeing the two guys, who haven't as much as been pictured together in 20 years, on a stage together. In that intervening period all other AFD and UYI members have either played together or met up at some point already, even Axl and Steven/Matt.

Musically a full AFD line up would be great but the suspense and hype they are banking on isn't really about that, it's about the end of the great feud (assuming the hype is about a reunion).

Duff wrote songs, Duff sung on songs. Adler didn't write anything and just happened to be in the band.

Adler's instrument doesn't lend itself to receiving writing credits- that doesn't equate to him not being a part of the songwriting process.

You know, I've never read or heard any of the guys who have been or are in Guns N Roses downplay and dismiss Adler and what he brought to the band- only people on forums.

I don't get it either. People keep saying this is what others think, but I only see this opinion on the forums. I put this mentality down to the effects of nuGNR being in operation for years. We are only now turning a corner from where Slash himself was regularly dismissed and downplayed. Duff too. Now apparently they're essential to GNR, whereas Izzy and Adler are not. Okay, one step at a time. If the first few shows are with the originals, I think more people will get onboard with Izzy and Adler continuing.

• Like 2

Steven is a question on whether he can handle a full tour and if he would be able to handle songs that were created after AFD.

You know that Matt Sorum for the most part just copied what Steven had already laid down for what ended up being the Illusion albums, right?

Not meaning to be the leader of the Adler Defense Force here, but yeah...

The ONLY reason they are the "main 3" is because all these rumors have called them that. A year ago, that was never a thing. It was always all 5, or just Axl and Slash. I love Duff to death, he's maybe my favorite of the band. No one ever said he was more essential than the other guys. I get it in the terms of that Izzy is hard to pin down and Adler is a fuck up, so in that case Duff is naturally the 3rd most important just cause there's no reason he wouldn't be there, but all this "main 3" talk started because rumors said that and people are running with it. In the history of GNR, that was never a thing until 3 months ago.

Axl, Slash and Duff are clearly the main three, everyone else would be nice to have even if for just a few shows. Let's face it though, all eyes would be on Axl and Slash, their every interaction and every word spoken to and about each other. Everything else would be superfluous at least for the first few shows.

​How so? How do these three = the "MAIN" three?? And I'm not trying to be argumentative. A lot of folks seem to think this way, and I sincerely want to understand the reasoning/logic that people use to arrive at this conclusion. How is Duff more important than Izzy, or Adler? Why do you require Duff on bass, but any drummer or rhythm guitar player will do?

Well not trying to be argumentative, but when exactly did guns n roses break up? Is there a specific date where everybody had enough and went their separate ways completely like the Beatles did?

Guns n roses really never broke up. Guns n roses always continued. Everybody just sort of left axl and axl alone legally owned the name guns n roses and kept guns n roses going. For a majority of the public, which is completely fair and frankly true, guns n roses was over because it was axls band with hired hands. The point is, axl, slash, Izzy, duff and Steven defined guns n roses to the general public. When Steven was fired, did anybody argue that they were still guns n roses? No. After Izzy stradlin quit, did anybody start going to shows protesting that the band was over and there was no more guns n roses what the hell are they doing without Izzy? No. Seems to me that when slash and duff quit, THAT was the end of guns n roses.

So I'm just saying that, I think based on the general public media and fans, that you need those three to be considered guns n roses. When people were paying for tickets to see guns n roses with at least axl slash and duff, regardless of Matt gilby and dizzy, it was still generally accepted. When people paid for a guns n roses ticket with just axl rose, it didn't seem like guns n roses it seemed like the axl rose solo project and it wasn't guns n roses. So I think for the general public, you need axl slash and duff to consider it guns n roses. For me personally, based on writing credits recording image and what made the band what they were, I think you need at least Izzy too. Just my two cents..

Well not trying to be argumentative, but when exactly did guns n roses break up? Is there a specific date where everybody had enough and went their separate ways completely like the Beatles did?

Guns n roses really never broke up. Guns n roses always continued. Everybody just sort of left axl and axl alone legally owned the name guns n roses and kept guns n roses going. For a majority of the public, which is completely fair and frankly true, guns n roses was over because it was axls band with hired hands. The point is, axl, slash, Izzy, duff and Steven defined guns n roses to the general public. When Steven was fired, did anybody argue that they were still guns n roses? No. After Izzy stradlin quit, did anybody start going to shows protesting that the band was over and there was no more guns n roses what the hell are they doing without Izzy? No. Seems to me that when slash and duff quit, THAT was the end of guns n roses.

So I'm just saying that, I think based on the general public media and fans, that you need those three to be considered guns n roses. When people were paying for tickets to see guns n roses with at least axl slash and duff, regardless of Matt gilby and dizzy, it was still generally accepted. When people paid for a guns n roses ticket with just axl rose, it didn't seem like guns n roses it seemed like the axl rose solo project and it wasn't guns n roses. So I think for the general public, you need axl slash and duff to consider it guns n roses. For me personally, based on writing credits recording image and what made the band what they were, I think you need at least Izzy too. Just my two cents..

I have been drinking.

Edited by DR DOOM

I've been reading through a lot of the posts regarding a possible "reunion" and it seems that a lot of people are speculating that it will just be Axl/Slash/Duff plus some other nuGnR guys (such as Fortus). In my opinion, this doesn't really qualify as a GnR "reunion" if only 3/5 of the original band are on board.

I might possibly concede Sorum instead of Adler as the full time drummer, but if (and only if) Adler is mentally/physically incapable of handling a full length show/tour. And if this is the case, then Adler should still be a part of it in some way, even if that means only playing a few songs each night. Adler was instrumental to the sound/groove of AFD.

Izzy is a non-negotiable for me...if there is no Izzy, then it is not really a reunion. That's not to say that I would not enjoy seeing/hearing Axl and Slash performing/recording together again...I would...but still it would not be GnR and it would not be a GnR "reunion". It would be more like when Page and Plant did an album and toured. Sure...it was great to see those guys together again...but nobody called it a Led Zeppelin reunion.

I would even be OK with adding some of the guys from the UYI era such as Dizzy or Gilby. But for me, if it's not Axl/Slash/Duff/Adler/Izzy (plus whoever else), then it is not really a "reunion" at all and we should stop calling it one.

Just my opinion...would like to hear others...and again, I'm not saying it wouldn't be great to see Axl and Slash together. I'm just saying there was more to GnR than just Axl and Slash...

It depends upon what you mean by reunion, right? If you are talking about a reunion of a lineup, then it won't be happening until that entire lineup has come together again. If you are talking about a reunion of people, then you only need those people together again. People put different things into it and this causes a lot of unnecessary discussions and misunderstandings.

To me the Illusion lineup was still GNR, and if Slash and Duff were back in the band I would consider that to be enough of the main sonic sound of GNR to be considered GNR. It still would not be the same as getting Izzy and Steven however I am totally cool with Fortus and Frank/Matt

Axl/Duff/Slash is enough for me if the chemistry and Axl's voice is there, but the addition of Steven would be so awesome, and Izzy would make it stratospherically better. Even the UYI shows with Izzy imo were way better to watch than the 1993 ones.

• Like 1

Paul Tobias on stage is far more entertaining than Izzy on stage. Enuff said. I would prefer Izzy but we aint loosing a big part of the show if he isn't there but of course Izzy is huge piece of the GnR legacy.

But if they really want to push their relationship right away they should get Paul Tobias.

For me it doesn't feel like a "reunion" so much as a "reboot" of the Classic Line-up. Kind of like an alternate fan fiction novel that's been green lighted for the big screen that maybe answers the question of "What if 'Sympathy For The Devil' Guns shed Sorum and Huge and in walked Fortus and Ferrer (2 of the seemingly relatively more acceptable IMHO modern GNR members) instead? What result?". That isn't necessarily "Party like it's 1988" magic (though I'm sure it will be marketed as such)- but it's still a really interesting question/topic to tackle IMHO. Kind of a "modern day" VH (with Wolfie) feel to it rather than a full-on classic reunion. Despite whatever "shortcomings"- I do think it can be something large portions of the fan base can get behind though...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

For the entire world, GnR = Axl + Slash. Outside these boards, people don't give a shit if Duff's not in it, don't even know Izzy or Matt or Steven, and Dizzy's always been a nobody. So yeah... axl + slash. That's the only reunion GnR really needs.

For the entire world, GnR = Axl + Slash. Outside these boards, people don't give a shit if Duff's not in it, don't even know Izzy or Matt or Steven, and Dizzy's always been a nobody. So yeah... axl + slash. That's the only reunion GnR really needs.

This really isn't true.. Maybe in your world but from my conversations a lot of people out there do care who is in the band.

This really isn't true.. Maybe in your world but from my conversations a lot of people out there do care who is in the band.
Well, the general public doesn't have an idea of who's in GnR except for Axl and Slash. Only rock and roll and gnr fans. That's the truth. After them, comes a huge abyss and then it's Duff. Some people, few people, know Duff. But Matt? Steven? Izzy? Nope. Only people that take the time to search who was GnR. Proof is Hollywood Vampires: no one cared or announced Duff and Matt in the band, they only cared for Alice Cooper, Johnny Depp and Joe Perry. My gf's cousin is a huge fan of Alice Cooper and Johnny Depp and went to the RiR gig and actually said "I got a pick, from the bass player."

I hope this tour ends up showcasing Izzy and Adler for at least 3-4 songs at the massive shows. The question I have is do you think they'll cut Dizzy out of the tour? Slash and Duff have been on the record way in the past as saying that they never got the addition of the keyboards to the band. I dont think either of them have used keys in their own music since leaving GNR. Also, having Dizzy on-stage means less money to fly in Izzy and other guest artists for the big shows and less for Slash/Duff/Axl to split.

So what do you think everyone? Dizzy - in or out?

Sincerely,

Eddie Fucking Money

• Like 1