How do we define a GnR "reunion"...what qualifies as one?

Didn't Axl and Matt meet back in 2006 and everything was cool? Why would axl pick another drummer?

That's what I thought- but looking back I think we only ever got Matt's account of the evening. Could well be they healed a few wounds- but NOT to the extent that Axl would want to be band mates with Matt again.

Also- I think it matters to Axl that Frank (and Dizzy & Richard for that matter) never quit. Dj (and Bumble) opened up Slash's spot- and Tommy opened up Duff's (if not quitting outright- by prioritizing the 'mats while GNR was active)...

• Like 1

Didn't Axl and Matt meet back in 2006 and everything was cool? Why would axl pick another drummer?

That's what I thought- but looking back I think we only ever got Matt's account of the evening. Could well be they healed a few wounds- but NOT to the extent that Axl would want to be band mates with Matt again.

Also- I think it matters to Axl that Frank (and Dizzy & Richard for that matter) never quit. Dj (and Bumble) opened up Slash's spot- and Tommy opened up Duff's (if not quitting outright- by prioritizing the 'mats while GNR was active)...

It could also be Slash and Duff trying to be fair to Axl as well. Richard and Frank have been loyal to Axl and Guns for many years and through other line-up changes. Rather than push Gilby and Matt on Axl if Izzy and Steven are out of the fold, then I'm sure Slash and Duff would be accepting of Richard and Frank. Duff has gone on about what a great drummer Frank is if I remember his comments correctly, and he's played with them both anyways. Obviously they all have to reach a collective compromise for a reunion tour to take place and keeping the "hybrid" line-up might be a way of meeting in the middle.

On the original topic question - for 95% of the world a reunion means Axl and Slash. Duff is one hell of a bonus. Whether the hardcore fans agree or not is of course up to discussion. I agree that it'd be nice to have one of the "classic" pre-1994 line-ups but I'll take what I can get.

Richard I guess. But please not fucking Frank...

For the entire world, GnR = Axl + Slash. Outside these boards, people don't give a shit if Duff's not in it, don't even know Izzy or Matt or Steven, and Dizzy's always been a nobody. So yeah... axl + slash. That's the only reunion GnR really needs.

This really isn't true.. Maybe in your world but from my conversations a lot of people out there do care who is in the band.
Only rock and roll and gnr fans.

Who gives a fuck about anyone else but Rock N' Roll and Gn'R fans?

• Like 2

First off, Steven is fully capable of drumming EVEN The Illusions stuff that believe it or not he had a hand writing most of, that's about all the fucker could ever do right was drum and all he ever wants to do, despite being kicked out for not being able to drum while on drugs, nowadays he could do it no problem and would be welcome in my eyes to do the Appetite stuff. With that Said Matt should be the drummer as he is on MOST of GNR's recorded material and is less likely to break the band up and is more reliable.

3/5ths of GNR is enough to call it GNR, these 3 Axl, Slash & Duff make the deciding decisions about the band and are the face of it. 3/5ths is majority. Would I like Izzy & Matt/Steven there? yes absolutely, but 3 out of 5 aint bad as Meatloaf once said.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB

I wonder why Izzy wouldn't be in the reunited band... He has got good relationships with Axl and Duff so whats the points, he played with them live and/or on album in the last years. In another time he quit GnR but everyone(except Axl) was stoned at the highest point... Things have changed, if this is for the originals 5 guns, I dont see why Izzy would refuse to do it...

The ideal would be Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy with Steven playing on AFD/Lies songs and Matt playing the UYI stuff. Two drum kits side by side.

Reality is I can't see Axl accepting Steven, and Izzy being Izzy will very likely not want to commit to a full tour, but pop up for a few guest appearances.

It's not GN'R without Izzy. Too damn important of a member to sweep under the rug. But I would still be happy as hell to see Axl and Slash play together again. That voice and that guitar sound were meant to be heard together. More importantly I am glad they buried the hatchet. All five of them (and Sorum I guess) should be brothers for life with what they achieved from '87-91. Hopefully they can get along with each other the rest of their lives.

I wonder why Izzy wouldn't be in the reunited band... He has got good relationships with Axl and Duff so whats the points, he played with them live and/or on album in the last years. In another time he quit GnR but everyone(except Axl) was stoned at the highest point... Things have changed, if this is for the originals 5 guns, I dont see why Izzy would refuse to do it...

Izzy hasn't done a major tour in decades :P. It's going to be out of character for him to suddenly start now, because they flung money at him.

Edited by AtariLegend

Richard I guess. But please not fucking Frank...

For the entire world, GnR = Axl + Slash. Outside these boards, people don't give a shit if Duff's not in it, don't even know Izzy or Matt or Steven, and Dizzy's always been a nobody. So yeah... axl + slash. That's the only reunion GnR really needs.

This really isn't true.. Maybe in your world but from my conversations a lot of people out there do care who is in the band.
Only rock and roll and gnr fans.

Who gives a fuck about anyone else but Rock N' Roll and Gn'R fans?
The general public? Gimme a fuckin break... If you ask 10 people on the street who Izzy Stradlin is, at least 9 won't know. If gnr relied on hardcore and classic gnr fans on their tour, they'd be fucked. They'd tour just like nugnr in 2002, or 2010. But no, by having Axl and Slash, people who werent interested in GnR before might want to go and check em out. And no, that person doesn't give a flying fuck about izzy, duff or steven.

I don't give a damn what qualifies as reunion. Who the fuck cares and what kind of an idiotic notion is that anyway? It qualifies as Guns N Roses and that's all I care about. It is just as much Guns N Roses as the UYI era. More than enough for me!

I've been reading through a lot of the posts regarding a possible "reunion" and it seems that a lot of people are speculating that it will just be Axl/Slash/Duff plus some other nuGnR guys (such as Fortus). In my opinion, this doesn't really qualify as a GnR "reunion" if only 3/5 of the original band are on board.

I might possibly concede Sorum instead of Adler as the full time drummer, but if (and only if) Adler is mentally/physically incapable of handling a full length show/tour. And if this is the case, then Adler should still be a part of it in some way, even if that means only playing a few songs each night. Adler was instrumental to the sound/groove of AFD.

Izzy is a non-negotiable for me...if there is no Izzy, then it is not really a reunion. That's not to say that I would not enjoy seeing/hearing Axl and Slash performing/recording together again...I would...but still it would not be GnR and it would not be a GnR "reunion". It would be more like when Page and Plant did an album and toured. Sure...it was great to see those guys together again...but nobody called it a Led Zeppelin reunion.

I would even be OK with adding some of the guys from the UYI era such as Dizzy or Gilby. But for me, if it's not Axl/Slash/Duff/Adler/Izzy (plus whoever else), then it is not really a "reunion" at all and we should stop calling it one.

Just my opinion...would like to hear others...and again, I'm not saying it wouldn't be great to see Axl and Slash together. I'm just saying there was more to GnR than just Axl and Slash...

If people are reuniting, then it is a reunion. It's maybe not a full reunion, but the word is technically correct.

GN'R got their name from Tracii with one line-up, then had another line-up for AFD and tour, then a different line-up for UYI tour, then other line-ups for the CD years. Iron Maiden, ACDC, Metallica, Def Leppard, FNM, lots of bands have had line-up changes over the years.

For some reason Izzy ain't into it and probably he won't change his mind if he hasn't so far. Noone will make a fulltime touring musician of him if he doesn't want that and he's proven over the years that he doesn't. I mean, if he wanted to, he could probably join Axl's band years ago.

And Steven isn't up to the challange and he'll never be. The damage's done, it's irrevocable. Sad as it is I really see no hope for Steven Adler. That said, the original line-up can't be back together full time for objective reasons that are nobody's fault. And therefore there's no point complaining. It's kinda like compaining that somebody is dead...