Lemmy Kilmister from Motörhead has died

gunsguy

Aww, thats awful. Cant say i was a fan but he seemed an alright fella.

You should be: worshiped at the alter of 1950's rock n' roll, roadied for Hendrix and tried to teach the bass to Sid!

I'm aware of all this but...i dunno, its a weird thing but i felt like I'd heard his music without listening to it? Always liked him interviews though, seemed like an alright fella. First heard him on The Young Ones:

http://youtu.be/YOAz4nPNvLI

Nice tune, that was his big one weren't it?

Edited by Len B'stard

Lemmy is interesting. He saw himself as playing 'rock n' roll', the heir to Little Richard and not Sabbath or Zeppelin, and found a closer affinity with the punk scene when he began to attain his Motorhead success in the late '70s-'80s. He was however lumped in the 'heavy metal' bracket and cited as the missing link between Sabbath and bands like Metallica and Megadeth (who worship at his alter). Lemmy was always somewhat embarrassed by all that 'heavy metal' adoration. Even when they were doing tribute parties for him, you could tell he was cringing.

Lemmy is interesting. He saw himself as playing 'rock n' roll', the heir to Little Richard and not Sabbath or Zeppelin, and found a closer affinity with the punk scene when he began to attain his Motorhead success in the late '70s-'80s. He was however lumped in the 'heavy metal' bracket and cited as the missing link between Sabbath and bands like Metallica and Megadeth (who worship at his alter). Lemmy was always somewhat embarrassed by all that 'heavy metal' adoration. Even when they were doing tribute parties for him, you could tell he was cringing.

he was never embarrassed by the metal label, he just didnt like labels period and just said he played rock n roll, motorhead did a cover of metallica's whiplash, covered judas priest,did rainbow's starstruck on a tribute to dio,he wrote songs for ozzy. to him there wasnt heavy metal or punk it was just rock n roll. motorhead was a link between rock-metal-and punk. their sound overlapped all those sounds.

he was never embarrassed by the metal label, he just didnt like labels period and just said he played rock n roll, motorhead did a cover of metallica's whiplash, covered judas priest,did rainbow's starstruck on a tribute to dio,he wrote songs for ozzy. to him there wasnt heavy metal or punk it was just rock n roll. motorhead was a link between rock-metal-and punk. their sound overlapped all those sounds.

That is not what I read in interviews. I remember distinctly reading interviews with Lemmy in which he denied Motorhead had anything to do with the metal genre and ''were a rock n' roll band''.

That is not what I read in interviews. I remember distinctly reading interviews with Lemmy in which he denied Motorhead had anything to do with the metal genre and ''were a rock n' roll band''.

yeah he didn't like the label to him its all rock n roll, he was never embarrassed by the music itself.

yeah he didn't like the label to him its all rock n roll, he was never embarrassed by the music itself.

I remember hearing Lemmy saying something along the lines of, ''that he was flattered that the (thrash) metal acts see him as an influence, but that is not really a music he personally has anything to do with or particularly liked''. And Lemmy's tastes were quite diluted really: copious amounts of Little Richard with plenty of Chuck, Elvis, Holly and Cochran on the sides. He was quite the purist, whenever asked to cite his influences, although he would make nods to The Beatles and Hendrix also.

• Like 1

I remember hearing Lemmy saying something along the lines of, ''that he was flattered that the (thrash) metal acts see him as an influence, but that is not really a music he personally has anything to do with or particularly liked''. And Lemmy's tastes were quite diluted really: copious amounts of Little Richard with plenty of Chuck, Elvis, Holly and Cochran on the sides. He was quite the purist, whenever asked to cite his influences, although he would make nods to The Beatles and Hendrix also.

yeah thats what i liked about him and motorhead they were a very varied band in terms of sound you heard it all. in interviews i read he didn't particularly like metal but there were bands he liked(metallica, sabbath, and priest)

I got this drumhead that was signed by Lemmy, Phil, and Mikkey on the Motörboat this year. They only had 10 of them at the merch stand right when they opened on the first day, and I figured I'd get one since it was only $30. Turned out to be a good choice since the meet & greet was just a photo with them. Considering that, by all reports Lemmy wouldn't take pictures with fans or sign anything for the last 6 months or so, this had to be one of the last items he ever signed:

oH005yQ.jpg

• Like 3

I got this drumhead that was signed by Lemmy, Phil, and Mikkey on the Motörboat this year. They only had 10 of them at the merch stand right when they opened on the first day, and I figured I'd get one since it was only $30. Turned out to be a good choice since the meet & greet was just a photo with them. Considering that, by all reports Lemmy wouldn't take pictures with fans or sign anything for the last 6 months or so, this had to be one of the last items he ever signed:

oH005yQ.jpg

That's badass. I wonder what MIkkey will end up doing? I would love to see him back in king diamond.

oH005yQ.jpg

That's badass. I wonder what MIkkey will end up doing? I would love to see him back in king diamond.
I'd love to see Mikkey go back to King Diamond. I'm definitely more curious about Mikkey than Phil.

Phil isn't doing very well actually, from what I hear. When he missed the Motörhead shows in the European tour last month, I guess his liver exploded or something. He was apparently minutes away from dying, then he was back to drinking 2 days later.

Like many, I've been on a Motorhead run this week. It had been a long time since I had taken the time to listen to Motorhead and man... Love 90's Motorhead: fuckin' Bastards, Sacrifice and Overnight Sensation are probably my favorite Motorhead albums. Took the time to listen to Bad Magic and it's really weak compared to Aftershock, isn't it?

My favorite Motörhead album is Inferno. That album is so fucking heavy. It kind of puts to rest the argument that Motörhead isn't a metal band.

Inferno is by far the best Motorhead album of the 21st century. There's just no comparison.

1- Inferno

2- Aftershock

3- The World Is Yours

4- We Are Motorhead

5- Hammered

6- Motorizer

7- Kiss of Death

8- Bad Magic

Hammered has some really good standouts and some uninteresting fillers. Walk A Crooked Mile, Red Raw, The Game and No Remorse are fuckin' A but some other songs like Mine All Mine and Brave New World really suck.

Bastards is a more stable ride all the way, no doubt. A much more solid album. Motorhead at their finest. Inferno is just the same. Amazing albums. Heavy as fuck.

• Like 1

Well, sometimes it's pretty hard to keep the "we're a rock and roll band" thing going with songs like Red Raw, Sacrifice and Terminal Show. I agree with Lemmy that there are way too many sungenres in rock music but.. If there's a heavy metal genre, which is kind of essential, how can songs like Kingdom Of The Worm, which are much more similar in sound to bands like Slayer, early Metallica, Venom, etc... Than to rock bands, even "hard rock" bands?

• Like 1

I generally consider Motörhead a rock band - they're more proto-metal than anything. Just about everything up until Ace Of Spades was clearly rooted in a more rock n' roll sound, even if they cranked up the amps until your ears bled and played at the breakneck tempos they did. But there's periods in he band, particularly around the turn of the century, that you really can't argue they weren't a metal band.

• Like 1

Yeah, in the beggining, with the classic lineup, Motorhead was completely based on RnR. However, the Campbell/Lemmy/Dee line-up made some much more Heavy Metal albums, from the mid and late nineties, to the early and mid 2000s, up til and including Kiss Of Death, that was heavy metal Motorhead for me.

Hammered has some really good standouts and some uninteresting fillers. Walk A Crooked Mile, Red Raw, The Game and No Remorse are fuckin' A but some other songs like Mine All Mine and Brave New World really suck.

Bastards is a more stable ride all the way, no doubt. A much more solid album. Motorhead at their finest. Inferno is just the same. Amazing albums. Heavy as fuck.

voices from the war was one of my favorites, that fucking riff......

kiss of death was pretty heavy as well.

Edited by bran

Duff tweeted this link:

https://www.change.org/p/support-lemmy-tribute-name-newly-discovered-heavy-metal-lemmium

now i think THIS is a stretch on his heavy metal legacy....

Heavy rock lost its most iconic figure over Christmas with the sudden and unexpected death of Ian 'Lemmy' Kilmister. Lemmy was a force of nature and the very essence of heavy metal. We believe it is fitting that the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry recommend that one of the four new discovered Heavy Metals in the Periodic table is named Lemmium. An astrological object (a star) has been named Lemmy to meet the IUPAC naming recommendations