Sympathy For The Devil

And one of the greatest songs ever desicrated by bands with none of the wit and musical subtlty to execute it as well as Les Fabulous Rolling Stones of Richmond. Literally every cover of it i have ever seen has totally wankered it.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 3

And one of the greatest songs ever desicrated by bands with none of the wit and musical subtlty to execute it as well as Les Fabulous Rolling Stones of Richmond. Literally every cover of it i have ever seen has totally wankered it.

It's just one of those songs that shouldn't be touched.

I thought GNR's version was poor, but then I heard Ozzy Osbourne's, which is a whole other layer of excrement.

• Like 2

The value in the original was it's latin sort of beat, the minimalism of it, it was more roll than rock, to paraphrase it's creator, it's an eerie toe-tapper, it does not benefit from being made loud and dense and hammed up by a bunch of dull greasers. In fact it does admirably what a lot of metal tries to do but falls flat at and thats sound kinda eerie, creepy, evil, Satanic, cuz it attempts to do so with brains. It's sounds like some kinda of fuckin' weird voodoo music coming out of some remote Brazilian village somewhere, it feels like it was recorded in humidity or something...and that solo by Keith is just fuckin' brilliant, little sharp bursts of notes, Guns n Roses absolutely ruined it.

• Like 3

I've always loved gnrs version tbh. I love the Stones version as well, id rather not bicker about Which version is better or worse, just enjoy them both for what they are, great bands playing a great song. I do feel that gnr did the song justice (but I feel that way about all of classic gnrs covers), they had a way of capturing the spirit of the original song, adding their own personality to it, and yet retaining the diginity of the original. It's a very difficult thing to accomplish imo, and classic gnr did it every time they covered a song, it's one of those things that made them a really special band.

Not to brag, but I actually am the creator of the top gnr sympathy for the devil music video on YouTube. Here it is in all its glory, watch it, comment, subscribe. ?

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

It's just one of those songs that shouldn't be touched.

I thought GNR's version was poor, but then I heard Ozzy Osbourne's, which is a whole other layer of excrement.

I think GNR's version is far more superior

Of course the Stones original is genius, but not really listenable if you're not on the mood, imho

That is why you Stones purists think that every cover is fucked up :lol:

The original song is not meant to be a song that many artists could cover, that's all

if a band try to cover it, a whole totally different vibe and feel is neccessary, because you cannot copy Mick Jagger's anti-singing voice :lol: I still think that Mick Jagger cannot sing if his life depends on it, but he is/was one of the best frontmans out there and that is enough. Same applies to Ozzy, imho

Edited by Strange Broue

Len stop talking outta your ass, there's nothing wrong with Gnr's version to constitute you saying they 'ruined' it, their cover was like a cover should be done, not trying to out do the stones version, just paying their respects to a great tune

None of what you've said disputes or even appears to he trying to dispute what i said, i agree they were paying their respect, i agree they were doing their version, i just think their version is dreadful compared to original, dont shoot me over making the comparison, you sort of invite comparison by doing covers, its interesting you say i'm talking out of my arse but dont actually go so far as disputing my point, which is that their version is inferior, in fact you kinda allude to it with your 'they weren't trying to outdo' comment, so we're at least in 75% agreement, you just dont appear to think 'ruined' is quite accurate, fair enough but thats what i think and I've explained why. To be honest I dont see what you're getting out of your pram about, even a couple of the people who made it think its a piece of shit :lol:

I think GnR destroyed most songs they tried to cover, Raw Power, New Rose, Cant Put Your Arms Around A Memory...Since I Dont Have You was good, Attitude was passable, I Dont Care About You was good, Jumpin Jack Flash was good, Human Being they wrecked...so its not like im just on some 'how dare they touch The Stones' kick, I'm not even that big a Stones fan but anyone without shit in their ears can hear Sympathy is a bit of pig, no offence. Its generally a difficult song to cover i think.

Edited by Len B'stard

Jane's Addiction did something interesting with it, but the Stones definitely own that one.

Whereas songs like Dead Flowers have lent themselves to very interesting re-interpretations by guys like Van Zandt, it's hard to reinterpret a tune like Sympathy and improve upon it.