What are your unpopular opinions (on ANYTHING)

Jackamo!

Since I'm on a roll of opinions Dies' will take issue with, might as well add another: I am not against sentient robots replacing humans one day. If we could peacefully coexist that'd be great but once our time has come we might as well let the superior beings take over. I don't really see the appeal of transferring consciousness from one body to another or to a robot surrogate in an attempt at immortality, though; to me the "clone" is not the original person, in this scenario when the the original person dies they remain dead, the new body or robot surrogate is host to a new mind with the memories of another person.

Super Mario Bros. is a good movie.

The Stones and The Who > The Beatles.

I prefer Brian Johnson to Bon Scott in AC/DC.

I am ok with all of those but the last one is practically sacrilege.

It could be worse. I could prefer Never Say Never Again to Skyfall.

Wasn't Brian better live than Bon anyway? He brought a whole new energy to the band.

Say the Doctor tells you that your child will be born with Huntington's, but you have a chance to prevent that from happening, would you not take it?

Uggh. It is too late and I'm listening to Keith Richards. Talk this over with Soul in the morning.

We are already allowing abortion if the fetus is shown do have Down's Syndrome, why shouldn't we allow therapies, including gene therapies, to heal a fetus that is demonstrated to have Huntington's, a much, MUCH worse condition?

Or let me phrase it differently, what is so great about depression, muscle loss, lack of sleep, uncoordination, peeing yourself, loss of muscle control, problems chewing, problems swallowing, problems talking, problems BREATHING, and then, guaranteed, dying from the disease after a long period of steadily progressing state? What so cool about getting a death sentence and knowing you'd be tortured for 20 years first through a succession of ever worsening symptoms? Huntington's disease is as close to a materialization of hell as possible. Why should we protect this horrible disease from therapies that could eradicate it? It's it so typical of arm-chair debatants to scoff of any mention of gene therapy, or any other thing they don't realy understand but dislike simply because they don't understand it, when they enjoy the comfort of ignorance and have been shielded from the horror of this disease themselves.

As for Amir's overall "unpopular opinion" on opt-in eugenics, I am a bit more restrictive in my viewpoints, but it is refreshing and uncommon to take that controversial position and such voices are needed also in the public discourse.

• Like 1

So...you'd like to fuck the Queen...and THEN her country? :lol:

I'll dob you in first, tell them you radicalised me after a visit to Kashmir (Kebabish, in Clapton).

Amir, you should discuss your theories with Soul. The two of you would have a great time together.

I had a feeling you'd say that ;)

Say the Doctor tells you that your child will be born with Huntington's, but you have a chance to prevent that from happening, would you not take it?

Quite fitting that Kebabish is almost an anagram of Shit Kebab :lol:

• Like 1

I'm not for sure on this one, but I definitely think it's very plausible that cancer is curable, but there's too much money to be made off of it

Cancer is not ONE disease, really, but just a name for a whole host of diseases that are alike in cause and symptoms (DNA changes that turn cells rampant). Because of this prognosis varies tremendously based on what type of cancer one has. Some forms are more or less cured today, others still have awful prognoses. The only type of therapy I can think of that might be able to cure every type of cancer form in the future, is gene therapy, but it is still way off, I am afraid. Moreover, we will never be able to prevent cancer from happening, just very good at curing it when it has happened. So in that sense, and in contrast to diseases we have actually wiped out for good (like measles and other losers of vaccines), cancer will always be with us and part of the human predicament, and unless you have access to health care, will remain a significant killer of humans.

The 9-5 working week is a modern day form of slavery. You work all month, giving up the best of your waking hours to do something that you don't want to do, only for payday to arrive and you watch all that money you earned get syphoned off on basic living costs, bills, food, rent, mortgage, council tax, national insurance. Homelessness is the alternative.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3

The 9-5 working week is a modern day form of slavery. You work all month, giving up the best of your waking hours to do something that you don't want to do, only for payday to arrive and you watch all that money you earned get syphoned off on basic living costs, bills, food, rent, mortgage, council tax, national insurance. Homelessness is the alternative.

I love my job.

Ordering pizza online is stupid and the absolute opposite of convenient. I would much rather call and hold for a minute and then give a 30 second order than to spend 10 minutes placing virtual pepperonis on a stupid pizza graphic, then refreshing, then starting the next pizza.

I love Rob Zombie's Halloween

And finally......I think the Simpsons is the most overrated show in TV history. It's the lowest form of humor with the lowest common denominator of intelligence to reach and appeal to the masses. It's the equivalent of a McDonalds hamburger. I actually lose respect for anybody who finds the show funny. There have been scientific studies that show the more you enjoy the Simpsoms, the lower IQ you will have. For example - if you think the Simpsons is the funniest show on TV then there is a 96% chance your IQ rests between 78-84 points.

Did you mean to say Family Guy? God I hate that show. It's not funny in the slightest and it makes me feel weird when I watch it. Like, I don't get why everyone is so mean to each other. It feels like it's a big social experiment to desensitize people to cruelty, or something; and cowardice too, since while all these characters are doing all these awful and inhumane things to each other, no other character ever bothers to do anything about it, or even bats an eye, really.

But the Simpsons...do you really think that?! Seasons 2 to about, I dunno, season 8 or so, was one of the funniest and smartest shows on TV. Tons of great satire, tons of great characters, terrific voice acting, and it was completely unique.

Sometime around 99 or 2000 it completely changed for the worse though, and as far as I can tell has remained mostly lame for the past 16 years.

I love my job.
+1

GTFO for those last two points. :lol:

I'd be shitting bricks of happiness if I had a job that was 9-5 and felt like something that just took up 8 hours of my day as opposed to my current situation where everyday has to be a balls to the wall shitfest going on for 10+ hours.

GTFO for those last two points. :lol:

You mad, bro, ;)

I can't say much for The Beatles thing. I recognize their influence and don't outright hate their music or anything, but of the sixties British bands I definitely prefer The Who and The Stones if only musically.

For Acca Dacca - I'm just a sucker for Brian's voice even if the Bon era had the better songs. Bon was one hell of a lyricist and frontman but for me, Brian's voice, on BIB and FTATR in particular, is among my favorite rock voices of all time.

And finally......I think the Simpsons is the most overrated show in TV history. It's the lowest form of humor with the lowest common denominator of intelligence to reach and appeal to the masses. It's the equivalent of a McDonalds hamburger. I actually lose respect for anybody who finds the show funny. There have been scientific studies that show the more you enjoy the Simpsoms, the lower IQ you will have. For example - if you think the Simpsons is the funniest show on TV then there is a 96% chance your IQ rests between 78-84 points.

Did you mean to say Family Guy? God I hate that show. It's not funny in the slightest and it makes me feel weird when I watch it. Like, I don't get why everyone is so mean to each other. It feels like it's a big social experiment to desensitize people to cruelty, or something; and cowardice too, since while all these characters are doing all these awful and inhumane things to each other, no other character ever bothers to do anything about it, or even bats an eye, really.

But the Simpsons...do you really think that?! Seasons 2 to about, I dunno, season 8 or so, was one of the funniest and smartest shows on TV. Tons of great satire, tons of great characters, terrific voice acting, and it was completely unique.

Sometime around 99 or 2000 it completely changed for the worse though, and as far as I can tell has remained mostly lame for the past 16 years.

My real problem with the Simpsons is how predictable it is. Every joke is soooo obvious.

You can take a two sentence description of an episode "Bart and Lisa do this, and Homer gets in trouble at work for doing that - on Halloween!" And anybody with a triple digit IQ can take that description and practically write the entire show. Hitting every obvious joke.

It is safe and easy to digest. I guess that's why people like it. Same reason people eat at McDonald's or Taco Bell. It's quick and easy and requires no work on our part.

BUT - entertainment is all subjective.

I think Deadwood is one of the best shows of all time and that the writers of that show were brilliant. And I loved Curb Your Enthusiasm. I'm sure lots of people disagree.

I'm glad people find shows that make them happy. I just personally think the Simpsons were terrible.

The Beatles and Nirvana are the two single most overrated bands in the history of popular music.

How so?

The Beatles absolutely dominated the music world like pretty much nobody in the history of music except for maybe Elvis and Michael Jackson. They produced countless top ten hits.

And even today other musicians still site their genius and influence on current music.

They were a culture phenomenon. And still today they are as popular as anybody out there.

How do you figure they are overrated?

I don't really agree with the term overrated and underrated unless we attach "to me" to it. I don't listen to much Beatles music - but I understand they are one of the top 2-3 music acts of all time. They clearly aren't overrated.

I never listen to Nirvana or any grunge. But I still understand the impact they had on music for a 5-6 year period. Nirvana isn't overrated. But I don't really like their music.

My real problem with the Simpsons is how predictable it is. Every joke is soooo obvious.

You can take a two sentence description of an episode "Bart and Lisa do this, and Homer gets in trouble at work for doing that - on Halloween!" And anybody with a triple digit IQ can take that description and practically write the entire show. Hitting every obvious joke.

It is safe and easy to digest. I guess that's why people like it. Same reason people eat at McDonald's or Taco Bell. It's quick and easy and requires no work on our part.

BUT - entertainment is all subjective.

I think Deadwood is one of the best shows of all time and that the writers of that show were brilliant. And I loved Curb Your Enthusiasm. I'm sure lots of people disagree.

I'm glad people find shows that make them happy. I just personally think the Simpsons were terrible.

I think even most Simpsons diehards would agree with you in part - the show has become pretty terrible. Depending on who you ask I think the decline happens somewhere around season 8 or 9, but some might even put it before then. Every once in a while a decent episode pops up but when the jokes are predictable and uninspired the show loses me entirely. They go for the obvious nowadays, and the guest appearances are usually atrocious. Those early seasons actually used to have good satire, humour, and even heart.

• Like 1

The Beatles and Nirvana are the two single most overrated bands in the history of popular music.

How so?

The Beatles absolutely dominated the music world like pretty much nobody in the history of music except for maybe Elvis and Michael Jackson. They produced countless top ten hits.

And even today other musicians still site their genius and influence on current music.

They were a culture phenomenon. And still today they are as popular as anybody out there.

How do you figure they are overrated?

I don't really agree with the term overrated and underrated unless we attach "to me" to it. I don't listen to much Beatles music - but I understand they are one of the top 2-3 music acts of all time. They clearly aren't overrated.

I never listen to Nirvana or any grunge. But I still understand the impact they had on music for a 5-6 year period. Nirvana isn't overrated. But I don't really like their music.

I just never cared for the Beatles much. Their early bubblegum stuff isn't anything special. Don't get me wrong, I'm a casual Beatles fan, I just don't think that they're one of the greatest bands of all time.

Kurt Cobain was/is a talentless hack.