So this "reunion" is just a money grab?

How anybody could label this a cash grab when we've just come off 5 years of Axl having a trans sexual Slash impersonator blunder his way through a 4/5ths Slash era setlist is beyond me.

The time to be upset that New GNR failed was when Bucket and then Robin finally left.

09-14 was the fucking clown show, and the very definition of a cash grab.

Yup, that is my point on other forums too...

It's highly unlikely that they will make new material, so if you wanna do the GH tour, then do it with the right people

Of course it' a cashgrab, but GNR's momentum already died in the 90's, Axl's new version is failed, so what's left really?

I would say more power to them. Some people wait for this since 1993-96

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 1

Here's the thing;

Who the fuck cares if it's a "cash grab"?? If that matters to you, then vote with your wallet and don't go to a show.

Supply and Demand... At it's finest. That is how the world makes money.... and keeps people employed.

Right, but if there are any fans who are so concerned with the #integrity of this tour, then they're always welcome to just not attend it.

Artist that are 100% concerned with integrity are playing on street corners and living on the streets. In other words, Integrity is coded language for didn't make it.

Integrity is easy for GNR to get. Just release new fucking music. It really isn't that hard or complicated. Regardless of whether Axl is touring with Ron and DJ or Slash and Izzy, he's still trotting out the same tired songs that we've all seen and heard a trillion times, going through the motions etc. Until such a time as they record new material and tour it then they are just milking the cash cow. Art hasn't got anything to do with it anymore, it seems.

Over half the fans want to hear the old songs. Releasing new music is easy when you don't have a major label.

Here's the thing;

Who the fuck cares if it's a "cash grab"?? If that matters to you, then vote with your wallet and don't go to a show.

Supply and Demand... At it's finest. That is how the world makes money.... and keeps people employed.

Right, but if there are any fans who are so concerned with the #integrity of this tour, then they're always welcome to just not attend it.

Artist that are 100% concerned with integrity are playing on street corners and living on the streets. In other words, Integrity is coded language for didn't make it.

Nope, you couldn't be more wrong, but i agree with Russ on this one

^^ I really don't get why so many other GNR fans are so cool with the band never making any new music.

Hey there's always a possibility, but i learned my lesson to NOT get my expectations too high in GNR's case

At this point a live show with SLash and Duff on the same stage with Axl is good enough for me

Besides that, if they really make a record, they need Izzy on some level (otherwise, i don't give a shit about him, he is inaudible on live shows since 1991)

• Like 1

Here's the thing;

Integrity is easy for GNR to get. Just release new fucking music. It really isn't that hard or complicated. Regardless of whether Axl is touring with Ron and DJ or Slash and Izzy, he's still trotting out the same tired songs that we've all seen and heard a trillion times, going through the motions etc. Until such a time as they record new material and tour it then they are just milking the cash cow. Art hasn't got anything to do with it anymore, it seems.

Exactly. Great post.

It's still seems weird to me to hear diehard fans of a band say they don't want or care about new music. Different era, I suppose. I grew up on a time where bands released albums every year or every other year. It was glorious.

Here's to hoping Axl puts forth the effort to get in shape and show up on time, not holding my breath on either of those. I wanted this reunion for years, but without Izzy there, I have next to no hype, especially if a new album isnt in the works. I'll go if they come to my neck of the woods. Though, I'm not near as excited for this as I would have been 10 years ago.

• Like 2

It is a cash grab but that does not mean you could inject a bit of artistry into the cashgrab by recording two new songs, releasing them as a single or on a soundtrack, and playing them live. I does not have to be so shameless a cash grab with a new song or two, quite so ''we want your money''.

Here's to hoping Axl puts forth the effort to get in shape and show up on time, not holding my breath on either of those. I wanted this reunion for years, but without Izzy there, I have next to no hype, especially if a new album isnt in the works. I'll go if they come to my neck of the woods. Though, I'm not near as excited for this as I would have been 10 years ago.

I share a lot of the same feelings...

Yeah, I'm just a little disappointed that after all these years of Axl pursuing his vision to the point of utter insanity, he's (most likely) closing the book on this band with a cash grab reunion. What I'm hoping for is that maybe some sort of creativity and music comes out of it again, if it's gonna happen at all. Either way it'll still be cool as fuck to actually see these dudes perform on stage together again for the first time since I was in fucking diapers.

Man, even you're (kinda) on board with this, same as GNR_1991 and a lot of the other guys I've always thought were on the level... I think I must be the only one left who would actually rather the band just ended than went down this path.

Feels like trying to canoe up the Niagara Falls.

Honestly, it's because I've lost pretty much all interest I've ever had in this band to begin with at this point. At one point, they were the band that helped me discover my love for music. But after all of these years of endless touring with worsening vocals, greatest hits setlists, no new music anywhere in sight...even if it's a cash grab, it's at least a better way to send the band off than for it to just fizzle out after another Vegas residency, at least in my eyes. If the script was flipped and Axl intended to make new music with the band he has/had, or put out the CD leftovers, my tune would be different.

Yeah, I think the thing I'm most disappointed about is the way the wheels just fell off the whole thing... 2006-2010, I was totally invested in all things Guns N' Roses, I would travel hundreds of miles on my own to see them and never feel it was anything other than the best use of my money ever. I was on here pretty much every day, waiting for news, getting involved in the discussion.

Just because I don't want a reunion to happen doesn't mean that I think 2010-2015 has been anywhere near as good as 2006-2010... More that it's been a slow, lingering process of decay which I ultimately became totally disillusioned with, to the point where I've hardly posted in D&N in the last two years. I can't believe Axl went to such an effort to put this thing together and defy everyone and everything, only to apathetically let it die without any justification.

Yeah, it's pretty much the same for me too. I lived and breathed on checking up on this band in 2006-2010, I loved CD, I saw GNR in 2006 as my very first concert, and I thought Axl finally had this thing together and was going to put his 'vision' into motion. It felt so rock n roll to me, that someone would keep a band going in spite of everything because they felt they had the music and the drive to keep it going. But the last few years have just been plain embarrassing, and like you, I barely post here anymore - I mostly come for Anything Goes and My World now. I really wish things were different.

Axl's GNR 09-14 was the very definition of a cover band, Thal and Ashba couldn't write a decent "GNR" tune between them and obviously Axl was well aware of this- but he had to scrape the barrel to get touring members.

You could argue that the whole New GNR thing from the moment Slash left was a joke but there's just no question about 09-14.

They weren't "working towards" anything, they were doing cash grab greatest hits tours comprised overwhelmingly of material that none of them had the slightest bit to do with.

Get a grip.

3 Million a show, and 25+ stadium shows...

Then what? Sail off into retirement?

Axl Needs cash, Slash and Duff most likely don't, they work constantly.

This kind of makes me feel sick.

Its against EVERYTHING the band most of us knew and loved stood for.

There won't be new music, just the Hits.

Hey, where have we seen that before?

So... you don't want a reunion unless they are not getting paid?

I mean... I ... I'm not really sure how to react to that. Did you expect them to do a free tour? Did you think money would not be involved? Please, explain. I'm just staring at your post like the RCA dog. I err... I'm not sure if it's a joke, or you are not from the same world I live in.

I personally make a distinction between cash grabbing, and being paid (highly even) for your music. Cash grabbing entails, playing up to the largest common denominator for naked greed; it usually entails nostalgic reunion tours, greatest hits setlists, etc. (a cinematic analogy is found in the endless unnecessary sequels and reboots prevalent in Hollywoodland). The latter is when you are still pursuing your craft or art as you have always done, maintaining the integrity of vision while being paid for it; an artist who still puts out albums and messes around with setlists, and is not merely 'checking in a performance', is an example of the latter. Neil Young and Springsteen's tickets are not cheap yet nobody could accuse Neil and Bruce of cash grabbing as they still artistically push themselves in various manners. Neil was certainly not 'playing up to the largest denominator' when he did a whole tour of a (then unreleased) esoteric concept record, while insisting the crowd not inebriate themselves on beer!

Another way to put it is, cash grabbing is when an artist lets profit maximization dictate the make-up of his craftsmanship and art. Or to put the argument back into the fan's perception, you do not inherently have to be a communist anti-capitalistic hippy to cringe at blatant inartistic greed!

Edited by DieselDaisy

Axl's GNR 09-14 was the very definition of a cover band, Thal and Ashba couldn't write a decent "GNR" tune between them and obviously Axl was well aware of this- but he had to scrape the barrel to get touring members.

You could argue that the whole New GNR thing from the moment Slash left was a joke but there's just no question about 09-14.

They weren't "working towards" anything, they were doing cash grab greatest hits tours comprised overwhelmingly of material that none of them had the slightest bit to do with.

Get a grip.

Yes, but to be fair to the 09-14 lineup, it was Axl who halted any progress the band could've made. Why hire Ron and DJ if he had no intention of using them outside of touring? Was it his long-term plan all along just to assemble some capable guitarists (and DJ) and get them to tour the world for 5 years playing a few CD songs along with the GNR staples and then call it a day? Doesn't sound like much of a plan to me. God knows what Axl was thinking, but crazy is as crazy does.

Edited by Towelie

Get a grip.

Yes, but to be fair to the 09-14 lineup, it was Axl who halted any progress the band could've made. Why hire Ron and DJ if he had no intention of using them outside of touring? Was it his long-term plan all along just to assemble some capable guitarists (and DJ) and get them to tour the world for 5 years playing a few CD songs along with the GNR staples and then call it a day? Doesn't sound like much of a plan to me. God knows what Axl was thinking, but crazy is as crazy does.

As much as I disliked DJ I think the guy did believe he would see his name on a GNR record for a number of years, I'd be interested to know whether DJ left because he saw the writing on the wall or whether DJ leaving caused the whole operation to do a 180.

Get a grip.

As much as I disliked DJ I think the guy did believe he would see his name on a GNR record for a number of years, I'd be interested to know whether DJ left because he saw the writing on the wall or whether DJ leaving caused the whole operation to do a 180.

DJ has alluded that he left for the old band to get back together

of course that could just be him taking some glory being "good guy Ashba" but Slash spoke a little while after about speaking with Axl

im thinking the reunion has been in the works for awhile now and he left because he seen the writing on the wall

or maybe they told him his services were no longer needed but let him leave under the impression he quit and wasn't fired so he could be replaced by Slash

Edited by -W.A.R-