For those questioning Adler's UYI chops

What is at stake here? All they have to do is draft in Sorum if Adler screws up. Adler could theoretical only cripple one show.

Don't forget that both Duff and Slash are addicts themselves and will always be. They shouldn't be around junkies and alkoholics. Adler can potentially screw much more than a song...

What is at stake here? All they have to do is draft in Sorum if Adler screws up. Adler could theoretical only cripple one show.

Don't forget that both Duff and Slash are addicts themselves and will always be. They shouldn't be around junkies and alkoholics. Adler can potentially screw much more than a song...

Its not 1996 Neve.

Slash and Duff have been sober since a long time. Even Steven has been sober since more than a year now.

Its not 1996 Neve.

Slash and Duff have been sober since a long time. Even Steven has been sober since more than a year now.

You never stop being an addict, it doesn't matter how much time passes, don't you know that? People can go down back again even after decades, one time is enough.

And anyone believing Steven is sober for a year is seriously naive...

Its not 1996 Neve.

You never stop being an addict, it doesn't matter how much time passes, don't you know that? People can go down back again even after decades, one time is enough.

But well you are completely wrong about Slash and Duff being addicts and always be, well like that even Axl did drugs. They have left drugs for good and have moved on with life.

Its not 1996 Neve.

But well you are completely wrong about Slash and Duff being addicts and always be, well like that even Axl did drugs. They have left drugs for good and have moved on with life.

No, I'm not wrong. Axl did drugs but was never an addict. Slash and Duff were. That's a difference. And yes, they will always be. Why do you think neither of them drinks even a glass of champagne anymore? Because if they did, they'd be back to drinking themselves to death.

That is exactly why addiction is such a bitch. Once you fall victim, you will never be completely free. Haven't you heard of the non-drinking alkoholics? They don't drink, yet they're sill alkoholics. Same with drugs.

Edited by Asia

Its not 1996 Neve.

No, I'm not wrong. Axl did drugs but was never an addict. Slash and Duff were. That's a difference. And yes, they will always be. Why do you think neither of them drinks even a glass of champagne anymore? Because if they did, they'd be back to drinking themselves to death.

Yeah but they have stopped doing drugs? so we should look at the positive side instead of taking this to another imaginary level.

Its not 1996 Neve.

Yeah but they have stopped doing drugs? so we should look at the positive side instead of taking this to another imaginary level.

Great that they stopped and they shouldn't be tempted to start again. It would be plain stupid to keep them around junkies and drunks. You just don't do that to recovered additcs. Never.

I hardly think being around a, now sober, Adler will automatically break Slash's ten year sobriety, more so Duff - now twenty years sober and a fitness fanatic! If anything, the presence of Adler's speech impediment is a walking advertisement for temperance. Assuming Adler is still using, do you think he is going to arrive in their rehearsal space with a bag of junk, three hypodermic needles and a needle and say, ''nice to be back - now, let's continue where we left off''?

• Like 1

I hardly think being around a, now sober, Adler will automatically break Slash's ten year sobriety, more so Duff - now twenty years sober and a fitness fanatic! If anything, the presence of Adler's speech impediment is a walking advertisement for temperance. Assuming Adler is still using, do you think he is going to arrive in their rehearsal space with a bag of junk, three hypodermic needles and a needle and say, ''nice to be back - now, let's continue where we left off''?

If he's still using he will come with a bunch of drug dealers following their every step and waiting for that one moment of weakness to take good use of it. Don't forget Scott's addiction broke Duff's sobriety, not that it wasn't already strong by then. Addiction leaves you vulnerable for the rest of your life and you need to be careful.

Plus, there's all legal issues, possible lawsuits and other shit related to Steven's involvement that noone sane would like to be dealing with.

This is supposed to be a tour and a musical celebration and a huge business, not an act of charity or mercy for one drug-damaged drummer...

If he's still using he will come with a bunch of drug dealers following their every step and waiting for that one moment of weakness to take good use of it. Don't forget Scott's addiction broke Duff's sobriety, not that it wasn't already strong by then. Addiction leaves you vulnerable for the rest of your life and you need to be careful.

Plus, there's all legal issues, possible lawsuits and other shit related to Steven's involvement that noone sane would like to be dealing with.

This is supposed to be a tour and a musical celebration and a huge business, not an act of charity or mercy for one drug-damaged drummer...

I think he is sober but assuming you are correct, my argument still stands: give him a chance and if he arrives with a drug habit, kick him off the tour and draft in Matt. It is that simple. In actual fact I very much doubt how much contact any of these people will have with each other. They will all go off in separate limos and never see each other except at show time.

I think he is sober but assuming you are correct, my argument still stands: give him a chance and if he arrives with a drug habit, kick him off the tour and draft in Matt. It is that simple. In actual fact I very much doubt how much contact any of these people will have with each other. They will all go off in separate limos and never see each other except at show time.

I think you're wrong and they'll have more contact than you think. But nevermind. Look at the second part of my post. What about lawsuits and other shit once he is thrown out? Who wants to deal with that?

I think you're wrong and they'll have more contact than you think. But nevermind. Look at the second part of my post. What about lawsuits and other shit once he is thrown out? Who wants to deal with that?

He would be on salary anyway, contracted, if the legal arrangement of the partnership (i.e. Axl, Slash and Duff) is what is being revived. It should not be that hard to draft some clause pertaining to his sobriety.

no one's questioning whether or not he could play sorum's complex drum fills

they're questioning whether or not he could do a reunion tour without dying/compromising the tour

This. I saw an argument too claiming GNR will do 3 hour sets and Adler can't handle it I mean.. Lol he'd only play the stuff he recorded being appetite and civil war. That's it

He would be on salary anyway, contracted, if the legal arrangement of the partnership (i.e. Axl, Slash and Duff) is what is being revived. It should not be that hard to draft some clause pertaining to his sobriety.

That he will later question in court with a bunch of lawyers and there you go... Plus all the comments and bitching in all the media. Everyone knows what is Axl's attitutde to it. Sorry, too much at risk, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Asia

In 20 years not one of Steven's former bandmates has been willing to work with him, with the exception of Slash throwing him a guest spot after he whined on Celebrity Rehab (and then he went back to not working w him).

In 20 years no other major band has been willing to hire him or even bring him in for a cameo.

Maybe there are some very valid reasons for that.

They bring him in, he falls off the wagon, endangers the other's sobriety, hurts himself, whines in the press about how mean the band was to fire him again, and drags the band into another protracted legal battle that nobody needs.

Plus, maybe it would not be safe for Steven to go back to that life, with access to anything he wanted. There will be plenty of hangers on following that tour and some of them would probably be happy to score him some drugs. His sobriety has been very tenuous in the past and he has had televised relapses right after leaving rehab. With his own band he once went off on such a bender that he stranded his entire band in Europe. It might be in his best interests to stay away from that.

Edited by stella

In 20 years not one of Steven's former bandmates has been willing to work with him, with the exception of Slash throwing him a guest spot after he whined on Celebrity Rehab (and then he went back to not working w him).

In 20 years no other major band has been willing to hire him or even bring him in for a cameo.

Maybe there are some very valid reasons for that.

They bring him in, he falls off the wagon, endangers the other's sobriety, hurts himself, whines in the press about how mean the band was to fire him again, and drags the band into another protracted legal battle that nobody needs.

Plus, maybe it would not be safe for Steven to go back to that life, with access to anything he wanted. There will be plenty of hangers on following that tour and some of them would probably be happy to score him some drugs. His sobriety has been very tenuous in the past and he has had televised relapses right after leaving rehab. With his own band he once went off on such a bender that he stranded his entire band in Europe. It might be in his best interests to stay away from that.

It is fairly obvious why they did not work with him, the reason being that he was in the height of a drug addiction. From about 1992-2003 he completely dropped off the map publicly due to smack dependency (he was in the Bullet Boys for about one week!). Post 2003 he has been sporadically in and out of drug dependency but active as a solo artist for some of that period. You do not need to analyse motivation here, looking for 'reasons' why 'so and so' never worked with 'Adler' - it was simply an impossibility. This is as true from Adler's standpoint as it is Slash's and Duff's seeing as Adler probably did not care about playing with anyone at that stage anyway - smack addicts only concern is scoring a hit.

You also have to factor in other considerations. Slash, Izzy and Duff had their own projects and once you have your own thing you pursue it. I would actually argue that Slash was struggling for a ''post gnr role'' himself for much of this period, and he was in the doldrums health wise at the turn of the millennium. And Velvet Revolver was always out of the question for Adler as the entire thing was instigated by Matt Sorum and the Randy Castillo benefit. You have to look at the respective history of where each guy was; there were other reasons why Adler was not involved.

Slash however guested on Adler's project and Adler guested on Slash's collaborative album. Duff and Izzy joined Adler's band at the Appetite anniversary - and I believe there was a Key Club guest appearance of Slash and Izzy c. 2003. I am not sure what more you expect here? NB that Slash has not once guested on Izzy's solo projects! Twelve albums, two sober guys, Izzy the earliest teetotaler of all, yet not one guest appearance by Slash - why? Probably the answer is as mundane as, Izzy has his own set up with Rick Richards and he is just doing his own thing with little contact with Slash, i.e. there is not really a reason.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Steven Adler been a junkie for a very long time? So maybe he really has been clean for a few years now, but I'm sure that doesn't look too impressive when you look at the previous, oh let's say, 30 years.

Izzy has been clean since 1989... that's impressive. Duff has been clean since 1994, except for a two week relapse in the early 2000s and that still wasn't a relapse from his cocaine/alcohol vices, so you can call that impressive too, I suppose, but a man who has been doing drugs for most of his adult life and has been clean for maybe one or two years now? Nah, I understand why they wouldn't go for that.

People relate much more Gn'R to Matt Sorum than Adler, so why the fuck would anyone want to bring Adler aboard? Even ignoring the fact that he's just a crackhead ever recovering junkie...common guys!

But at the end of the day what will sell tickets is AXL + SLASH playing together once again, nothing else.

Edited by trqster

People relate much more Gn'R to Matt Sorum than Adler, so why the fuck would anyone want to bring Adler aboard? Even ignoring the fact that he's just a crackhead ever recovering junkie...common guys!

But at the end of the day what will sell tickets is AXL + SLASH playing together once again, nothing else.

No they don't!

And maybe because he played during Guns's greatest era, on their best album which is Appetite, and had a style which complimented the rest of the band better than any successors.

• Like 3