Anyone thinkin' about Stinson?

Some of the posts in this thread perfectly embody why I hate this whole reunion scenario. Fucking heartlessly dismissing the hard work and dedication of guys who came in with the best intentions and gave whatever they could for the music and the fans/celebrating people losing their jobs...

Fuck that shit.

They were well paid hired hand musicians not coal miners. They all signed contracts and those contracts ended. Cry me a river ,kid. They'll all be ok. No need to start a donation fund. You make it sound as if they were doing hard labor and their jobs were taken by recent Graduates willing to work for half price. Someone like Stinson could've easily banked a couple million during his time in GNR. Edited by Subtle Signs
  • Like 2

Some of the posts in this thread perfectly embody why I hate this whole reunion scenario. Fucking heartlessly dismissing the hard work and dedication of guys who came in with the best intentions and gave whatever they could for the music and the fans/celebrating people losing their jobs...

Fuck that shit.

While I agree with you an extent, who is losing their job?

Well, we don't know yet, but with a Slash-Duff-Axl-Izzy-Steven reunion, potentially everyone (except maybe Dizzy).
If Richard, Frank, Dizzy, and Chris are all there, no one really lost their job. Don't worry, it won't be the original classic 5.

Obviously if they're going the reunion route I fucking love Duff to death and I'm happy he's back.

But Stinson was great, and he was kind of emblematic of 'NuGNR' for me because of his longevity, so if they do retain Frank and Chris but Tommy isn't there, it'll be a bit odd to me. I'm just curious to see how this all plays out.

Fuck that shit.

They were well paid hired hand musicians not coal miners. They all signed contracts and those contracts ended. Cry me a river ,kid. They'll all be ok. No need to start a donation fund. You make it sound as if they were doing hard labor and their jobs were taken by recent Graduates willing to work for half price.

Your long-running trait of talking down to people you disagree with on here doesn't actually convince anyone of the apparent maturity or superiority of your arguments.

I've been on contracts which have ended before, it's not nice to lose your job regardless of if you're a coal miner or not. It must be particularly gutting, having collaboratively written and recorded what is apparently a lot of music, only to never get the opportunity to bring it to the light of day.

Also to spend 10+ years touring for a fanbase who've largely turned their backs on you without a second thought must hurt. No matter what these guys did, they were never going to be good enough for people like you.

Bottom line, I liked these guys in Guns N' Roses and I appreciated the job they did very much. I don't want to see them put out of it, for anyone, not Slash, not Duff, no one.

• Like 1

Fuck that shit.

They were well paid hired hand musicians not coal miners. They all signed contracts and those contracts ended. Cry me a river ,kid. They'll all be ok. No need to start a donation fund. You make it sound as if they were doing hard labor and their jobs were taken by recent Graduates willing to work for half price.

Your long-running trait of talking down to people you disagree with on here doesn't actually convince anyone of the apparent maturity or superiority of your arguments.

I've been on contracts which have ended before, it's not nice to lose your job regardless of if you're a coal miner or not. It must be particularly gutting, having collaboratively written and recorded what is apparently a lot of music, only to never get the opportunity to bring it to the light of day.

Also to spend 10+ years touring for a fanbase who've largely turned their backs on you without a second thought must hurt. No matter what these guys did, they were never going to be good enough for people like you.

Bottom line, I liked these guys in Guns N' Roses and I appreciated the job they did very much. I don't want to see them put out of it, for anyone, not Slash, not Duff, no one.

Then don't go to the show. Go out and purchase a Tommy Stinson hoodie,some Dj Ashba swag and Bumblefoot sauce. Vote with your wallet and hit Axl where it counts.

• Like 2

Fuck that shit.

+1

Fuck that shit.

+1

+2!

Fuck that shit.

I see them as victims of Axl's procrastination personally. If Axl was not so lazy and stupid they could be on their third album by now. They would have still had their critics and would never replace the old band in the public's affections but they could have at least forged their own identity (this never happened) and have been contributing to albums and certainly had their fans who would have been fans because of them albums. They might have even held an arena status rather than spending their last few miserable years criss-crossing between Vegas and Brazil. Poor bastards - well they were paid well for it I suppose.

But Axl never gave them a chance. A lot of talented players passed through also.

• Like 3

Fuck that shit.

I see them as victims of Axl's procrastination personally. If Axl was not so lazy and stupid they could be on their third album by now. They would have still had their critics and would never replace the old band in the public's affections but they could have at least forged their own identity (this never happened) and have been contributing to albums and certainly had their fans who would have been fans because of them albums. They might have even held an arena status rather than spending their last few miserable years criss-crossing between Vegas and Brazil. Poor bastards - well they were paid well for it I suppose.

But Axl never gave them a chance. A lot of talented players passed through also.

Truth.

And Subtle_Signs. I have no intention of supporting this financially, but I'm still part of this community. Given that you spent years criticising the CD-era line-up, even when they were active and could have actually reached their potential, I would hope that you were okay with people voicing disappointment with current (potential) developments as well. It'd be a wee bit hypocritical otherwise.

• Like 1

Fuck that shit.

Tommy cashed in pretty nicely on the Replacements reunion so I wouldn't feel too bad for him.

Fuck that shit.

Truth.

And Subtle_Signs. I have no intention of supporting this financially, but I'm still part of this community. Given that you spent years criticising the CD-era line-up, even when they were active and could have actually reached their potential, I would hope that you were okay with people voicing disappointment with current (potential) developments as well. It'd be a wee bit hypocritical otherwise.

I paid to see the new GNR many times,in 2002,2006,2011 and 2014. I think I'm forgetting a year or two as well. I would still welcome CD2 and buy it on the first day. Shit,I've paid to see Dizzy Reed solo at least five times along with Bumble, Tommy and Buckethead solo at least one time each.I prefer the classic lineups but I supported the new ones as well. I don't think either of us are right or wrong we just have our preferences. Who knows,your guys could be back in a few years time. Edited by Subtle Signs

Fuck that shit.

+1

you've got a point with losing a job or a contract ending sucks, but we don't have any confirmation- my guess is the guys that were loyal ( frank, dizzy, richard, and chris) they will still be touring. Tommy, he chose his reunion over guns and it flopped- sorry but Duff was interested in coming back so there you have it. Bumble and DJ both quit. So i don't think anyone is being 'put out'. I supported all the lineups as well- not sure why you wouldn't support this one. Probably gonna be fantastic.

Fuck that shit.

THE WORKERS FLAG IS DEEPEST RED STAINED WITH THE BLOOD OF WORKERS DEAD! :D

My Tony Adams sig is in red...need i say more? :lol:

THOUGH COWARDS FLINCH AND TRAITORS SNEER, WE'LL KEEP THE RED FLYIN' 'ERE! :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

The new 'cool' now are nugnr supporters. Desert to the enemy. Cross enemy lines.

yea, all 5 of them! If NUgnr did anything but cover the old material, then maybe they would have a point. "fans" saying they dont want Slash back in HIS band that he helped create, are not fans of guns or the great music they wrote. Acting like Chinese is better than anything in the past are just fools who hang on to everything axl does, even though his vision of the new band failed miserably. I am glad that he and Slash realize that together is where the REAL success is

• Like 1

Hello everybody! Italian gunner here, first time I'm writing on this board :)

Am I the only one who's thinking about Tommy? I mean...Axl wants to reunite with his old fellas, I get it, but has he really turned his back on Tommy so easily? The guy's been in the band for 17 freakin' years and he's always been considered Axl's right hand. I'd feel a little bit offended being put aside for a former member comeback.

I don't see it as Axl turning his back on him really. We don't know how far back the reunion goes but I imagine it must have started around the time that Duff filled in for Tommy. It did seem that the Replacements reunion was going to be longer term before it fizzled out - there was talk of a new record and if I remember correctly they did actually go to a studio. Personally, as a huge 'Mats fans I'm disappointed nothing came of it but c'est la vie, I'm just happy that I actually got to see Paul and Tommy play those songs live, something I never thought would happen. I imagine Axl must have mooted the idea of replacing Tommy with Duff if Tommy did end up leaving to go back to the 'Mats full time.

I don't think any of the guys in the last lineup has had a raw deal out of the reunion really. It seems that Ron was unhappy in the band for some considerable time before he actually left and whilst I was very sad to see him go it didn't come as a shock and it seems he's much happier now. Ashba is in Sixx: AM which is going to be a much bigger deal now Crue is over and to be fair he's a far better fit in that band than he was in GN'R. It seems that Richard and Frank are probably still in the band so they haven't lost out if that's the case. I guess Tommy is the only that's missed out as he has nothing major to go on to and so probably wouldn't have left out of choice. However, he has put out two great solo albums and I imagine there are enough 'Mats fans out there to give him a decent solo career. Plus, he's a great bass player so I imagine he could find another band if he wanted. He did play bass in Soul Asylum quite a while back. I also guess that when Duff came back on the scene he must have figured there was a chance he'd be replaced and I imagine everyone in the band accepted that there could be a reunion and they'd be replaced.

To be honest (and I say this a huge fan of the musicians from the nuGN'R era) Axl had pretty much run the new band into the ground. The lineup changes over the years coupled with the lack of new material meant that none of the lineups since 2001/2 were ever really established and the fact that the guys were basically copying other people's parts meant that a few got bored and left (Bucket, Finck, Bumble, Ashba). Plus, the fact that there was no major change in the live show between 2009 and 2014 meant that it was a case of diminishing returns in terms of ticket sales hence the Vegas residencies. A "reunion" is Axl's best option really and given that he and Slash are now friends again it was only a matter of time. I just wonder how long it can last, I hope he and Slash can work together and get along for a prolonged period.

Edited by BassistSeb

"The General" was the musical director, ran the rehearsals, and kept the ship on course all those years...The outright dismissal, by this board, of the contributions of everyone who kept the name out there all these years, is disheartening...Those guys deserved better...

• Like 1

"The General" was the musical director, ran the rehearsals, and kept the ship on course all those years...The outright dismissal, by this board, of the contributions of everyone who kept the name out there all these years, is disheartening...Those guys deserved better...

cool man- he chose to do his reunion thing over guns, case closed. duff probably wanted back in guns years ago but axl was loyal to the general until the general had other priorities. i can appreciate his contributions.

• Like 1

Frankly...I find it ludicrous that there are actually folks out there that would prefer Tommy over Duff at a GnR reunion. The whole idea of the reunion is to get the original/classic lineup back together...or something as close to that as possible. If Duff is willing and able...and he was the original bass player...then by what logic or reason could anyone say Tommy should be in and Duff should be out? After all...this is not a nuGnR reunion, it's a GnR reunion...right? Or am I missing something?

Edited by foghat43