Is there a real friendship between Axl n Slash? or simply business

Personally they haven't be in contact for years but though lawyers and stuff relating to business they have, signing off on stuff, the GH release by Universal which they were united in trying to stop..which by the way has sold a shit ton of records, it's one of the best selling complications/albums of the last 12 years, globally. I think Duff was the mediator since he stayed in the same hotel as Axl and tensions have eased since then.

Personally they haven't be in contact for years but though lawyers and stuff relating to business they have, signing off on stuff

I think it's hard to believe they never met in person and talked about the issues they had with each other. You don't plan this whole thing by setting yourself for a blind date. Too much at stake and even if there wasn't, it just doesn't seem plausible.

• Like 1

We've not heard a peep from Axl. This might all be going ahead because he is (somehow) on the verge of bankruptcy and has had to swallow his pride to keep the wolves from the door.

LOL!

I literally laugh out loud every time somebody says Axl is going bankrupt!

He holds controlling rights to the biggest debut album EVER! with 40 million+ sales and his NuGNR Vegas residency grossed 15 million. The Use Your Illusions Tour money is surely still floating around, along with the success of those albums. On top of that, even in his down time he made money touring and the 8 million that Chinese Democracy sold. Not to mention merchandising rights on anything GNR. Axl has PLENTY of Money!. There may have been massive money blowing on the Use Your Illusions tour with late fees and theme parties, we all splurge on shit once in a while but we keep a safety net just incase, I believe just like with the drug use shit Axl always knew how to control himself, he may have done those things but he could cut himself off at any time. Axl is probably sitting better than anyone in the band besides Slash, they all have done well, the ones who need the money are Steven & Izzy and theres no word on weather or not they're in yet.

I think people tend to forget that while cd sales have slumped, Music usage rights have NOT. I'm assistant manager & investor at a Strip Club and we're a smaller club and we still pay $10,000 per year to the big 3 music companies (BMI, ASCAP, SESAC) just to play their music, that covers nearly every major recording artist and now theres a 4th company trying to get its paws into things. Now figure this, Bars, restaurants and Strip clubs all have to pay to legally use this music, now add this on to your figuring...how many restaurants, bars, strip clubs are there in the world? do the math...now that you've done it, you can clearly see just off of that alone Axl doesn't need to EVER do a damn thing again in his life to make money, he just needs to sit & wait on the checks. The number of bars & clubs in Wisconsin alone could fund Axl's great grand children and their children off of his royalties.

Its definitely not like the Beatles where they pissed their whole music catalogue away selling it or just plain not controlling it, Axl at least controls it.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB
  • Like 2

Money is surely a reason here. It is with every reunion. We would be kidding ourselves to think otherwise.

But I would also like to think that Axl, Slash, and Duff DO CARE about the musical legacy of Guns N Roses. Remember, this was the band that was to equal Led Zeppelin, but it collapsed in less than 10 years. Two decades have now gone by. Velvet Revolver was pretty successful and Axl continued to make money off of hired guns N Roses. But, I would like to think that they realize that the time is NOW to recapture the true greatness of the classic GNR, and re-stake that claim as one of the greatest there ever was. I never forgot their greatness from 87-93, but for the casual music fan, too much time has passed by for them to remember. It's time to give the sad music industry a ride on the Nightrain!

We've not heard a peep from Axl. This might all be going ahead because he is (somehow) on the verge of bankruptcy and has had to swallow his pride to keep the wolves from the door.

LOL!

I literally laugh out loud every time somebody says Axl is going bankrupt!

He holds controlling rights to the biggest debut album EVER! with 40 million+ sales and his NuGNR Vegas residency grossed 15 million. The Use Your Illusions Tour money is surely still floating around, along with the success of those albums. On top of that, even in his down time he made money touring and the 8 million that Chinese Democracy sold. Not to mention merchandising rights on anything GNR. Axl has PLENTY of Money!. There may have been massive money blowing on the Use Your Illusions tour with late fees and theme parties, we all splurge on shit once in a while but we keep a safety net just incase, I believe just like with the drug use shit Axl always knew how to control himself, he may have done those things but he could cut himself off at any time. Axl is probably sitting better than anyone in the band besides Slash, they all have done well, the ones who need the money are Steven & Izzy and theres no word on weather or not they're in yet.

I think people tend to forget that while cd sales have slumped, Music usage rights have NOT. I'm assistant manager & investor at a Strip Club and we're a smaller club and we still pay $10,000 per year to the big 3 music companies just to play their music. Now figure this, Bars, restaurants and Strip clubs all have to pay to legally use this music, now add this on to your figuring...how many restaurants, bars, strip clubs are there in the world? do the math...now that you've done it, you can clearly see just off of that alone Axl doesn't need to EVER do a damn thing again in his life to make money, he just needs to sit & wait on the checks. The number of bars & clubs in Wisconsin alone could fund Axl's great grand children and their children off of his royalties.

Exactly! And on top of that, after all of the shit Axl did (and endured) over the last 15 or so years, people really think he'd do it "just for the money"? The man went so far as to make GN'R 2.0, then 2.5, then 3.0. The money and the offers have been there for years and he didn't give in.

This had to do with pride, falling-outs, and moral high grounds among former close friends. It was just displayed in public and had whole internet forums dedicated to talking about it.

People should just accept it for what it is - two guys who, amazingly, mended ways and are now going to jam again (as long as their idiosyncrasies don't get in the way).

i believe that its gonna be a partnership like motley crue or van halen, everyone has its own bus, dressing room, etc, and only meet each other for the show and maybe the soundcheck...but the most important thing here is that slash and duff have been sober for years, they are not the junkies they were in the 90's.

sorry for my english.

Edited by Gem Archer

They're brothers in the end, and that's why the fighting was so vicious through the years because they both cared!, because they both probably expected better out of eachother and egos and whatever got in the way, Slash respects the fuck out of Axl and I'm sure Axl does too, but Axl seems to get hurt easy and his natural reaction is to defend himself which you can't blame him for.

I know $$$ has something to do with it, but as rich as both are and 20 years of bullshit between them, I just don't think it's all business. I just don't see Axl texting Slash like, do you know how much money we can make on a reunion, let's do it!

Money was there all these years,but Axl denied even the thought of reuniting with Slash.Obviously Duff played a key role in men's relationships.I don't think Slash and Axl are best buddies,and we don't even need that.They can come up to the stage, do their thing, enjoy the time onstage ,and then they don't have to hang out.But sure they are not enemies anymore.

• Like 1

I just hope they stay "friends" long enough for us to see both of them on stage together for a whole tour. I am 34 years old and I have never seen the 2 of them together live. I have been wanting to see this for a very long time. So, hopefully they can get along decently and make a ton of money together.We all win if this happens.

• Like 1

Compare it to your own job,, do you see all your co-workers outside work ? Don't think so ,, I can have a pretty nice working day with most of them, but apart from the friday-afternoon-beers, I don't feel the need to grab beers or go to the movies with most of them...and with a few, I do.

Exactly! And on top of that, after all of the shit Axl did (and endured) over the last 15 or so years, people really think he'd do it "just for the money"? The man went so far as to make GN'R 2.0, then 2.5, then 3.0. The money and the offers have been there for years and he didn't give in.

This had to do with pride, falling-outs, and moral high grounds among former close friends. It was just displayed in public and had whole internet forums dedicated to talking about it.

People should just accept it for what it is - two guys who, amazingly, mended ways and are now going to jam again (as long as their idiosyncrasies don't get in the way).

Yeah. I kinda agree with that.

They're brothers in the end, and that's why the fighting was so vicious through the years because they both cared!, because they both probably expected better out of eachother and egos and whatever got in the way, Slash respects the fuck out of Axl and I'm sure Axl does too, but Axl seems to get hurt easy and his natural reaction is to defend himself which you can't blame him for.

Yes, that's the feeling I got too. If you do him wrong once (even if it might be out of good intentions or him causing the situation), you're pretty much persona non grata to him. And the closer the person was, the longer he will hold on to his grudge. All it needed was somebody (Duff) to mediate between them. I kinda was expecting this from the moment I heard that Duff has stepped on stage with Axl in London.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 2

He is broke. It is obvious as day and night.

Right. Nevermind the royalties he's still getting from the GNR catalog, he's been on tour for the better part of the last 10 years. Do you think he did those tours for free? Do you think he didn't make any money there? With him being the biggest earner on those tours?

He is broke. It is obvious as day and night.

I don't know about that. With the combined mechanical royalties of all the GNR albums mixed with the money from merch and branding and product placement and touring, I would assume Axl is not doing that bad at all!

Broke. Not broke in the sense that he is cleaning car windows; broke in the sense that he wants to sustain the lifestyle he already has. Listen, I've watched this 'artist' stoop to the level of endless Vegas residencies and Budweiser commercials. You are not telling me that there has not been an artistic sacrifice for pecuniary interests here? How can you go from discussing 'trilogies' of 'industrial music', to warbling through November Rain on a levitating piano?

Put two and two together and you arrive at four.

The guy is broke.

• Like 3

Broke. Not broke in the sense that he is cleaning car windows; broke in the sense that he wants to sustain the lifestyle he already has. Listen, I've watched this 'artist' stoop to the level of endless Vegas residencies and Budweiser commercials. You are not telling me that there has not been an artistic sacrifice for pecuniary interests here? How can you go from discussing 'trilogies' of 'industrial music', to warbling through November Rain on a levitating piano?

Put two and two together and you arrive at four.

The guy is broke.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/12/what-happened-when-axl-rose-rented-my-apartment.html

Yup, dude is totally broke.

• Like 1