Guns N’ Roses Coachella Lineup Press Release

Honestly what the fuck is happening with this god damned band! Why is it still all cagey and fucking shrouded in mystery. I thought today would provide the clarity we've been waiting for for two damn months. AHHHH

"Founder Axl Rose and former members"

Lmao! Seriously??? Come on.

Nothing in that quote is factually wrong though. Axl is a founding member, Slash and Duff were not, even though they came into the picture rather early. As for the former members - you'd have a better argument for that one if GN'R had ceased to be an entity when the old band dissolved. They didn't and Axl stayed in the band while Slash and Duff didn't; so they are indeed former members while Axl isn't.

But BS is right - why are we all getting caught up on some wording choice in a press release that wasn't even put out by the band, but by the festival itself?

• Like 1

Well... at least it's confirmed as shit now. Slash and Duff are back in Guns, gonna play a big hipster festival which is a good idea imo.

It is frustrating how we can't even get an interview or at least a few words from Axl about Slash. A pic of Slash, Duff, and Axl together would have been cool, but whatever. I guess that's just how Axl rolls. Still very excited.

"Guns N Roses announce the most significant and anxiously awaited musical event of this century."

Adele just released an album that sold over 7 million copies in North America after only a month of release. That is insane in the music industry's dead market for album sales. I'd say THAT was the most anxiously awaited music event of the century so far. She destroyed the previous opening weekend record by a huge margin even though that previous record was set before the industry collapsed due to all the free downloads.

wait till reunited GN'R make and release an album :D

I expect Slash to want to make a record before the stadium tour. Maybe they have one already.

My guess is Axl will want to use Slash's talent in some capacity. Slash is a machine when it comes to riffs and solos is what he's mainly about. Axl still kept a riff Slash came up with and it turned into a song. The chances of him coming up with something Axl will like are pretty good imo. Him and Duff can open up the material for Axl or spark an idea.

Edited by Rovim

Yes. Let's all get stupid over semantics.

It's not just semantics. The words in that press release are meant to convey a message, and the message is: GNR is Axl's band and he is the boss.

EXACTLY that is exactly what is projected especially when one with half a brain has known what axl has said publicly about reunions

makes perfect sense he would downplay this like a child that instead of taking the ball home, shrugs this off like, hey nothings really changed, its not a reunion, these former members begged to get back in my band

personally if i was slash or duff i'd be a little hard done by the shitty ass wording or more to it - the purposeful wording that portrays mr king axl as center of the universe

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

It's not just semantics. The words in that press release are meant to convey a message, and the message is: GNR is Axl's band and he is the boss.

EXACTLY that is exactly what is projected especially when one with half a brain has known what axl has said publicly about reunions

makes perfect sense he would downplay this like a child that instead of taking the ball home, shrugs this off like, hey nothings really changed, its not a reunion, these former members begged to get back in my band

personally if i was slash or duff i'd be a little hard done by the shitty ass wording or more to it - the purposeful wording that portrays mr king axl as center of the universe

I have a feeling Slash and Duff don't care that much about that. Maybe they accept some of Axl's shitty qualities as a person cause they just want to work with him again and make some money after 20 years. Just my guess of course.

I have a feeling Slash and Duff don't care that much about that. Maybe they accept some of Axl's shitty qualities as a person cause they just want to work with him again and make some money after 20 years. Just my guess of course.

thats a fair assessment

for some, this would be touchy and you can bet your ass if roles were reversed axl would be crying all the way home over the wording

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

I expect Slash to want to make a record before the stadium tour. Maybe they have one already.

My guess is Axl will want to use Slash's talent in some capacity. Slash is a machine when it comes to riffs and solos is what he's mainly about. Axl still kept a riff Slash came up with and it turned into a song. The chances of him coming up with something Axl will like are pretty good imo. Him and Duff can open up the material for Axl or spark an idea.

I think if Slash helps Axl with his material, then Axl will sing on some Slash rockers.

Bucket only really has 2-3 songs on CD. Finck 1-2? So if Slash has 2-3 real writing credits and plays parts and solos on the record, that's enough. Fortus has already mentioned one Slash credit.

Then Axl must have some songs. If Izzy has a song or two. Duff and Izzy have been writing.

thats a fair assessment

for some, this would be touchy and you can bet your ass if roles were reversed axl would be crying all the way home over the wording

I always keep in mind Axl is probably not going to change fundamentally as a human being. Slash and Duff back in Guns is probably hard to swallow for him. His fragile pride and ego. So it's expected he'll be difficult and immature.

Big picture. We're gonna see them play together again, and more importantly, there's a chance they'll record together in some capacity and release another album. That's huge, even if shit can get fucked before Hipsterfest even begins. But I'll take it.

Edited by Rovim

I think if Slash helps Axl with his material, then Axl will sing on some Slash rockers.

Bucket only really has 2-3 songs on CD. Finck 1-2? So if Slash has 2-3 real writing credits and plays parts and solos on the record, that's enough. Fortus has already mentioned one Slash credit.

Then Axl must have some songs. If Izzy has a song or two. Duff and Izzy have been writing.

Axl is great at putting together pieces of ideas and songs and shape that into whatever he hears in his head. He also has a lot of material in the vault, if we choose to believe him and Fortus.

Reminder though: Robin said there were many, many songs they've worked on and a lot were finished. According to what Axl said in 2006, there are at least 18 songs left, and that's in the very least.

And just think: if Axl turned a Slash riff into a song with Fortus and others, Bucket was 4 years in the band. How many riffs and ideas came from him? probably more than 9000.

It's gonna be tight in there. I imagine Axl's policy is: if it's better and fits, imma copy/paste it a little and replace whatever that came before or just add it as an additional layer.

Crazy process that not too many bands if any even attempted. Band members that came back after 20 years, after the Chinese project was finished, which was crazy in and of itself. Axl's lunacy makes shit fascinating.

What it should say is...

"Axl Rose has hired two of his former bandmates to work for him"

Exactly this. It totally sounds like a few guys got sacked, and King Axl hired two new bandmates, and they happen to be Slash and Duff.

This seems like the thing Slash hated 20 years ago, Axl degrading them to the point where they were just contracted players in their own band.

Especially disappointed that we get guys like Frank Ferrer and Chris Pitman on board. I can live with Pitman doing useless crap, but come on, get Matt on board and at least have the core of the band occupied by guys from the UYI era. I could complete live with filling it up with Pitman, Kushner, Fortus, or whoever, but lead guitar, bass and drums need to be with guys from either the AFD or UYI era to be called a reunion. But I guess Axl already knows this and thats why its handled as a 'reform' rather than a reunion.

• Like 1

Considering CD is mentioned can we now expect CD tracks to be included in the set lists?!

Hopefully I'm just reading too much into that, but I gotta bad feeling about that.. :-/

Had the same feeling, its specifically mentioned, so I guess (also considering that there's a fair amount of NuGNR peeps in the band) its going to be included. Which only attributes to the whole feeling that Duff and Slash are just hired hands to play whatever Axl seems fit.

I guess if it's not strictly a reunion, then CD songs could be on there. But I think Slash will bring 2-3 UYI songs back just because. Maybe even new songs.

With this line-up Locomotive is a must to spice the setlist up. Pitman could even make himself useful during Coma if it weren't for Axl letting the team down. #FireAxl

The wording in this press release is a disaster and I'm afraid I don't share your optimism that Slash doesn't care. It was this attitude that got him out of the band in the first place. I'm sure it doesn't bring on good memories. And after Slash has been so cautious in the last months, keeping completely quiet and reacting the way he reacted to his brother's facebook posts, it is especially ununderstandable...

It shows that TB's resentment towards Slash hasn't changed in the least and all they care about is putting him in his place. This release could easily be simply neutral but they made it insulting. Great way to begin. If Axl keeps accepting this kind of behavior instead of reacitng to it, the whole thing, I'm afraid, will fall on its face sooner than it's begun...

• Like 1