Guns N’ Roses Coachella Lineup Press Release

It's Slash, Axl, Duff and a bunch of hired hands (similar to the UYI tour situation). It's not nugnr when there are three original members in the band.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to go back to 1987. There's no time machine available yet.

get a mullet haircut and listen to AFD on cassette..pretend its 1987.

It's Slash, Axl, Duff and a bunch of hired hands (similar to the UYI tour situation). It's not nugnr when there are three original members in the band.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to go back to 1987. There's no time machine available yet.

Are you forgetting that Matt played drums on UYI? It's an over simplification to say that this is Axl, Slash and Duff and a bunch of hired hands. It is quite literally Slash and Duff joining NuGuns.

*As a disclaimer I am operating under the assumption that the lineup is Axl, Slash, Duff, Fortus, Ferrer, Dizzy, Pitman. If this proves untrue I'll adjust my opinions accordingly.

If Guns original band reunited and went on a mammoth worldwide tour, and various guests from Guns history appeared along the way...would you be satisfied?

That would be incredible! But certain other things would have to happen too that I won't mention because the post would get deleted.

If Guns original band reunited and went on a mammoth worldwide tour, and various guests from Guns history appeared along the way...would you be satisfied?

That would be incredible! But certain other things would have to happen too that I won't mention because the post would get deleted.

O.K.. :axl92:

A world tour with the original 5 is not realistic. The UYI line-up with Gilby doesn't make sense. I agree that Matt should be there instead of Frank.

Hmmm, the difference with Matt & Frank to me is Frank didn't whine and complain and act like an original member especially when Matt was on the sauce & Charlie chalk during the Illusion era.

This whole press release sort of seeps reasons why things will fall apart in the future. How many concessions will Slash and Duff have to make when it comes to their impact and significance on the legacy to make Axl feel the public is being told Chinese Democracy was a legitimate GNR undertaking? I felt it was weird they said regroup, weird they said "Axl Rose and former members Slash and Duff Mckagan," and a tidbit about the (arguable) critical acclaim and commercial success of CD but not mention of Contraband which was one of the most popular rock albums of the mid 00's. Nothing was factually inaccurate, but phrasing and omission served to inflate Axl's success with Guns N' Roses in '96-present age when compared to Slash and Duff's contributions in general, making the press release a very Axl Rose document.

Point being, how many little passive concession will Slash and Duff make before the concessions get bigger and they can't do it anymore?

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but the good thing for Duff and Slash is that they will be making an insane amount of money even if it's a one-off at Coachella. A poster on GN'R Evo that is tied in to the concert side of the music industry said that the contract is between Coachella, Axl, Slash, and Duff. Everyone else is a hired hand (not just musicians but the usual hangers-on, roadies, etc). Coachella is supposedly gonna pay them $8m. I would guess Axl gets slightly more due to the leverage he had with the name but Slash and Duff probably still get over $2m each once you account for the fact the three of them have to pay everyone else involved. That's pretty damn great for only two shows.

If Axl doesn't totally implode this thing before an actual tour gets off the ground, they will all end up making a crazy amount over the length of the tour. I do not blame Slash and Duff for cashing in on the legacy they helped create. Their contributions were very important on AFD, Lies, and UYI along with all the live shows of that time period. I have no reason to doubt Eddie Trunk when he says Adler is in discussions to participate. Steven has been way too quiet if he is completely out of the loop. If Adler is confirmed as a guest participant, I expect Izzy to jump on board for the Adler portion of the show.

GN'R has been a mess from the very start but became an even bigger mess when Appetite turned into a phenomenon. Axl is still as crazy as ever and who knows how long this situation with Duff and Slash will last. Let's hope Coachella performance is received well by fans and media (ie Axl's voice is in good shape, etc) and perhaps it can turn into something good in the long run like a new album. If it all implodes very quickly, then that would be a sadly predictable result.

• Like 3

This whole press release sort of seeps reasons why things will fall apart in the future. How many concessions will Slash and Duff have to make when it comes to their impact and significance on the legacy to make Axl feel the public is being told Chinese Democracy was a legitimate GNR undertaking? I felt it was weird they said regroup, weird they said "Axl Rose and former members Slash and Duff Mckagan," and a tidbit about the (arguable) critical acclaim and commercial success of CD but not mention of Contraband which was one of the most popular rock albums of the mid 00's. Nothing was factually inaccurate, but phrasing and omission served to inflate Axl's success with Guns N' Roses in '96-present age when compared to Slash and Duff's contributions in general, making the press release a very Axl Rose document.

Point being, how many little passive concession will Slash and Duff make before the concessions get bigger and they can't do it anymore?

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but the good thing for Duff and Slash is that they will be making an insane amount of money even if it's a one-off at Coachella. A poster on GN'R Evo that is tied in to the concert side of the music industry said that the contract is between Coachella, Axl, Slash, and Duff. Everyone else is a hired hand (not just musicians but the usual hangers-on, roadies, etc). Coachella is supposedly gonna pay them $8m. I would guess Axl gets slightly more due to the leverage he had with the name but Slash and Duff probably still get over $2m each once you account for the fact the three of them have to pay everyone else involved. That's pretty damn great for only two shows.

If Axl doesn't totally implode this thing before an actual tour gets off the ground, they will all end up making a crazy amount over the length of the tour. I do not blame Slash and Duff for cashing in on the legacy they helped create. Their contributions were very important on AFD, Lies, and UYI along with all the live shows of that time period. I have no reason to doubt Eddie Trunk when he says Adler is in discussions to participate. Steven has been way too quiet if he is completely out of the loop. If Adler is confirmed as a guest participant, I expect Izzy to jump on board for the Adler portion of the show.

GN'R has been a mess from the very start but became an even bigger mess when Appetite turned into a phenomenon. Axl is still as crazy as ever and who knows how long this situation with Duff and Slash will last. Let's hope Coachella performance is received well by fans and media (ie Axl's voice is in good shape, etc) and perhaps it can turn into something good in the long run like a new album. If it all implodes very quickly, then that would be a sadly predictable result.

I suppose my point is that at some juncture, when maybe they get a fuck ton of money from it already, Axl is asking and taking more (this can mean money or credit for GNR in general), there will be a point when they say fuck this.

Now the argument against myself is it isn't like Axl hasn't made any concessions either. He essentially has gone back in nearly 20 years of convictions to work with Slash again. It may not be as dramatic as that sounds, but for the past 19 and a half years, it sounded pretty god damn unlikely aside from an alleged near miss in 2006. However if this press release is any indications, the operations of GNR will skew heavily Axl.

• Like 1

I suppose my point is that at some juncture, when maybe they get a fuck ton of money from it already, Axl is asking and taking more (this can mean money or credit for GNR in general), there will be a point when they say fuck this.

Now the argument against myself is it isn't like Axl hasn't made any concessions either. He essentially has gone back in nearly 20 years of convictions to work with Slash again. It may not be as dramatic as that sounds, but for the past 19 and a half years, it sounded pretty god damn unlikely aside from an alleged near miss in 2006. However if this press release is any indications, the operations of GNR will skew heavily Axl.

It is a pretty big concession on Axl's part to go from calling Slash a cancer to letting him back in the band. We're just going to have to take this thing one step at a time. Duff is the glue on this whole thing. He is the guy who is good friends with all of the Appetite guys. If we are lucky, they kick some butt at Coachella and it turns into something more. If not, oh well. An implosion would be a pretty typical GN'R outcome.

A world tour with the original 5 is not realistic. The UYI line-up with Gilby doesn't make sense. I agree that Matt should be there instead of Frank.

Gilby was in the UYI lineup.......
Gilby didn't play on the UYI albums. Matt did. Edited by Roky

Gilby didn't play on the UYI albums.

Yeah well if you are talking about Izzy and Gilby, then I would like to see Izzy.

Yeah well if you are talking about Izzy and Gilby, then I would like to see Izzy.
I'm not talking about Izzy. I'm saying that I prefer Fortus rather than Gilby.

Fortus was not in the UYI line up, nor he played on the album, I would rather see Izzy than Fortus.

Fortus was not in the UYI line up, nor he played on the album, I would rather see Izzy than Fortus.

i think fortus would be the best choice since we don't know if izzy will be there for the whole thing or not, and generally 4tus fits better than gilby

just my opinion tho :D

i think fortus would be the best choice since we don't know if izzy will be there for the whole thing or not, and generally 4tus fits better than gilby

I do agree with you, Fortus was my fav. from the NuGNR and he should have been on the lead, but when Slash is in the band, I really don't want them to divide solo duties. I just want Slash to play all the solos and leads and Fortus to be just on the ryhthm, if its that way, then im perfectly fine with it. But when it comes to drumming, I do want Adler or Matt.

I think everybody would like Adler or Matt, but I think matt is just simply not involved atal, whether we like it or not. Frank is solid, I don't particularly think he suits the image, but they can't really put millions of dollars on the line with Steven full time or Izzy. Adler is a multi-relapsing junkie, and no matter how much we love him, he cannot be trusted for the full time gig. So Frank will have to do. Izzy has a serious lack of commitment, so fortus is an obvious choice (and a killer rhythm guitarist, which helps), so I personally won't be pulling up trees over the lineup, I'm happy

Good lord.

There is no way that Slash will split solo duties with Forteuss.

"Hey Richard, you should play this solo which I write twenty years ago, while I stand here off to the side."

nuGNR apologists are fucking ridiculous.

Not on old songs you moron. But in CD material it could be possible (if they play CD material)

I do agree with you, Fortus was my fav. from the NuGNR and he should have been on the lead, but when Slash is in the band, I really don't want them to divide solo duties. I just want Slash to play all the solos and leads and Fortus to be just on the ryhthm, if its that way, then im perfectly fine with it. But when it comes to drumming, I do want Adler or Matt.

oh yea man thats exactly what i mean, fortus on rhythm is def great.

and yes, i'll say it again, frank's gotta go...