Did DJ and BF leave because they knew about the reunion?

Bumble quit and got brought back at least once before the final departure, so I don't think he left because of the reunion. People spoke with him during the last Vegas run and he said he was out, and I'm not convinced that the reunion was finalized at that point. Wheels in motion? Yeah, probably, but early stages at most. Dj was going to leave anyway, with Sixx:AM becoming a full-time priority for those guys this year now that Motley is done. Slash's return just made it even more right.

So basically, no I don't think they left because of the reunion in any way, but it all worked out fortuitously.

Well Todd from slash's band blogged and said they were aware for a while so I'm willing to bet that Axl's band knew as well. Actually have some respect for Deej handling it the way he did, aka recognizing that there were bigger and more important things than himself.

DJ was asked to commit his future to SIXX:AM in 2016 forward. He chose to go with them and work on 2 albums and a 2 year world tour.

I think the idea that GN'R "may" reunite helped him decide.

This was in the works since GNR played last in Argentina 2014, at the time DUFF was in for full gigs.

The guy that runs the forum at GNRLA.COM had a sit down with Ron in Buenos Aires and he spilled the beans.

Basically Ron said TB was working towards the reunion, and that somehow it was a sad situation how TB was handling with Axl and his medication.

You can clearly see he was not well at the Golden Gods performance.

DJ stepped aside knowingly what was going on, and Bumble just kept his mouth shut because he know what was going on.

This was in the works since GNR played last in Argentina 2014, at the time DUFF was in for full gigs.

The guy that runs the forum at GNRLA.COM had a sit down with Ron in Buenos Aires and he spilled the beans.

Basically Ron said TB was working towards the reunion, and that somehow it was a sad situation how TB was handling with Axl and his medication.

DJ stepped aside knowingly what was going on, and Bumble just kept his mouth shut because he know what was going on.

None of that happened. As I said, as of July of 2015 Axl was still very much interested in releasing a new album in 2016 with at least DJ supporting it. DJ's departure was not something that Axl saw coming or approved.

None of that happened. As I said, as of July of 2015 Axl was still very much interested in releasing a new album in 2016 with at least DJ supporting it. DJ's departure was not something that Axl saw coming or approved.

Oh the sit down did happen...you might just have been told something else.

Very much interested in releasing a new album?

are you joking right?

Btw you claimed earlier that you still have sources if you wanna really ask something yet you claim that communication between this forum and GNR camp is ceased to exist in August

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 1

Oh the sit down did happen...you might just have been told something else.

What are you basing this on? I know where I got my information (from someone directly tied to the band), but your info is based on secondary sources.

Alpachiris is the guy who runs that forum. I think he goes by GNRLA on here. They have very good ties with Bumblefoot over the years and always meet up with him when they go to South America.

I do not believe at all...that in 2 months they got this reunion set up, just counting the amount of time needed for the legal contracts and compromise to clear out of the way.

TB can say one thing today...and turn it around tomorrow...just like the Kimmel booking...."oh no no...it was not booked no no"

Very much interested in releasing a new album?

are you joking right?

Btw you claimed earlier that you still have sources if you wanna really ask something yet you claim that communication between this forum and GNR camp is ceased to exist in August

Not joking. As of July 2015, the goal was to release a new album with the remaining members of the band.

This site does have its sources, but those sources stopped communicating across the board in August. The lines of communication have reopened in the last week or so.

To be clear, we still hear very little. We're not under any delusion that this forum will be used to break huge news. But from time to time we do have some little tidbits passed our way and we do what we can to get information to fellow fans.

• Like 2

Everyone who I would trust at both this forum and other forums made it clear that Ron and DJ left entirely of their own desire, and were in no way doing it to "avoid the inevitable" or "make way for a GN'R reunion." Ron pissed and moaned about the lack of activity from Guns N' Roses since 2010, and really started ramping it up and bad mouthing the band's decision (i.e. playing private gigs) in 2012. In 2013, he flat out stated that if the situation forced him to choose between Guns N' Roses and his solo career, the solo career wins. Clearly, the lack of definite plans and the fact that Axl did not seem to want to work with Ron-penned songs drove him to choose the solo career path. Luckily, Ron was not the type of guy to leave the band belly-up and chose to finish up touring through 2014.

All signs pointed that DJ was still fully invovled with GN'R, but when it came to choose between Sixx A.M. - who had two albums and a tour coming up in the wake of Crue ending - and Guns N' Roses - who had no definite plans following the final Las Vegas residency - DJ chose Sixx A.M. despite all his assurances that he "had Axl's back." He chose money - pure and simple. Any grandstanding he does that he stepped aside to let the old members back in remains him sucking up to the media; probably because he knows Axl would never set the record straight.

My guess would be the relationship between Axl and Slash started to thaw with the agreement to sign off on Appetite for Democracy, and things got even better when Perla (who everyone pretty much describes as a svengali) left the picture. As downzy said, when faced with the choice of hiring two brand new unknown guitarists (which would mean then having two of three guitar players who had NO relationship to Chinese Democracy-era music) or just calling it a day and getting back with Duff (who was already cool with Axl) and Slash (who seemed in a better place with Axl and has been so desperate to get back in the band that he would probably agree to just about any terms) Axl chose the easier and - frankly - more sensible option.

downzy:

Out of pure personal curiosity, what is the current relationship between Axl and DJ? Do they communicate at all? Does Axl feel betrayed and pissed at DJ the way he did when Izzy left the band in 1991 or Slash later down the road? Or is it more like Robin, where Axl is willing to just move down the line and, perhaps someday, meet up with DJ again? It seems like Axl and DJ got pretty close and DJ took over the "right hand man" function, so I cannot imagine Axl took his abandonment lightly. From what I've heard, Axl really dug Robin as a musician and friend, but Robin always kept a distance of sorts from the other band members so it was not as huge a blow when he jumped ship to Nine Inch Nails.

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 4

Alpachiris is the guy who runs that forum. I think he goes by GNRLA on here. They have very good ties with Bumblefoot over the years and always meet up with him when they go to South America.

I do not believe at all...that in 2 months they got this reunion set up, just counting the amount of time needed for the legal contracts and compromise to clear out of the way.

TB can say one thing today...and turn it around tomorrow...just like the Kimmel booking...."oh no no...it was not booked no no"

Well, why do you think the Kimmel booking fell through? Probably because there's still details that have yet to be confirmed. As Trunk argued in his blog post yesterday, they're likely still finalizing legal matters. Perhaps they were optimistic that everything would be sorted by Jan 5th to allow Axl to be a guest on Kimmel, but maybe it didn't pan out.

We also have members of the staff who have good ties and at no point did Ron tell any of them that he quit because he knew a reunion was going to happen.

Well, why do you think the Kimmel booking fell through? Probably because there's still details that have yet to be confirmed. As Trunk argued in his blog post yesterday, they're likely still finalizing legal matters. Perhaps they were optimistic that everything would be sorted by Jan 5th to allow Axl to be a guest on Kimmel, but maybe it didn't pan out.

We also have members of the staff who have good ties and at no point did Ron tell any of them that he quit because he knew a reunion was going to happen.

I believe its been on for a while, the timing of Duff coming back the wheels where set in motion.

Everyone who I would trust at both this forum and other forums made it clear that Ron and DJ left entirely of their own desire, and were in no way doing it to "avoid the inevitable" or "make way for a GN'R reunion." Ron pissed and moaned about the lack of activity from Guns N' Roses since 2010, and really started ramping it up and bad mouthing the band's decision (i.e. playing private gigs) in 2012. In 2013, he flat out stated that if the situation forced him to choose between Guns N' Roses and his solo career, the solo career wins. Clearly, the lack of definite plans and the fact that Axl did not seem to want to work with Ron-penned songs drove him to choose the solo career path. Luckily, Ron was not the type of guy to leave the band belly-up and chose to finish up touring through 2014.

All signs pointed that DJ was still fully invovled with GN'R, but when it came to choose between Sixx A.M. - who had two albums and a tour coming up in the wake of Crue ending - and Guns N' Roses - who had no definite plans following the final Las Vegas residency - DJ chose Sixx A.M. despite all his assurances that he "had Axl's back." He chose money - pure and simple. Any grandstanding he does that he stepped aside to let the old members back in remains him sucking up to the media; probably because he knows Axl would never set the record straight.

My guess would be the relationship between Axl and Slash started to thaw with the agreement to sign off on Appetite for Democracy, and things got even better when Perla (who everyone pretty much describes as a svengali) left the picture. As downzy said, when faced with the choice of hiring two brand new unknown guitarists (which would mean then having two of three guitar players who had NO relationship to Chinese Democracy-era music) or just calling it a day and getting back with Duff (who was already cool with Axl) and Slash (who seemed in a better place with Axl and has been so desperate to get back in the band that he would probably agree to just about any terms) Axl chose the easier and - frankly - more sensible option.

downzy:

Out of pure personal curiosity, what is the current relationship between Axl and DJ? Do they communicate at all? Does Axl feel betrayed and pissed at DJ the way he did when Izzy left the band in 1991 or Slash later down the road? Or is it more like Robin, where Axl is willing to just move down the line and, perhaps someday, meet up with DJ again? It seems like Axl and DJ got pretty close and DJ took over the "right hand man" function, so I cannot imagine Axl took his abandonment lightly. From what I've heard, Axl really dug Robin as a musician and friend, but Robin always kept a distance of sorts from the other band members so it was not as huge a blow when he jumped ship to Nine Inch Nails.

Great post.

As for your question, I have no idea. Like I said, I came into some information in July of last year that gave me a pretty good idea of what the game plan was for 2016. Obviously things have changed and my ability to get more information ended when all contacts stopped returning our questions. I completely understand the lack of communication considering the nature of what we now know was going on behind the scene with respect to Axl and Slash and a possible reunion. The last I heard was that DJ quit early to mid July and the news was met by Axl with disappointment and surprise. I have no idea whether they are still amicable or whether they still talk (I'd have a hard time believing they do, but again, that's just a guess). If I had to guess, DJ left for the reasons you stated and perhaps also felt as though his music contributions weren't be considered by Axl as much as DJ would have liked.

I believe its been on for a while, the timing of Duff coming back the wheels where set in motion.

I don't disagree that there have been forces behind the reunion, but I firmly believe that Axl did not indulge in the idea until August of last year, or soon after he found out that he'd have to replace not one but two guitarists. Perhaps people associated with Slash and Duff were working towards this goal, but I don't think anyone with or in GNR was seriously considering it until this past summer.

• Like 1

DJ did i think. i actually think they let him quit instead of firing him.

DJ quit in at the end of July a month later Slash spoke about speaking with Axl. i think this was all coordinated and had been in the works for awhile and was done i guess to drum up interest and the price tag for any suitor that was looking to host the reunion

DJ has even alluded that he stepped aside for the old band to get back together

Nope, didn't happen like that based on the little I know.

DJ quit closer to the beginning of July. It was announced at the end of July.

Axl was disappointed and surprised when DJ quit.

DJ can revise history all he wants to make himself look like the hero, but that wasn't the case.

oh, well that was just my theory that seemed plausible to me

let DJ quit and let it sit for a few weeks then have Slash speak about speaking with Axl which of course would get the reunion turning and get everybody hyped up (which it certainly did) i guess all that could have came into fruition after DJ departed but it seems so crazy that 20 years worth on animosity was wiped away in a quick few months

i didn't expect a reunion until next year

DJ did i think. i actually think they let him quit instead of firing him.

DJ quit in at the end of July a month later Slash spoke about speaking with Axl. i think this was all coordinated and had been in the works for awhile and was done i guess to drum up interest and the price tag for any suitor that was looking to host the reunion

DJ has even alluded that he stepped aside for the old band to get back together

Nope, didn't happen like that based on the little I know.

DJ quit closer to the beginning of July. It was announced at the end of July.

Axl was disappointed and surprised when DJ quit.

DJ can revise history all he wants to make himself look like the hero, but that wasn't the case.

oh, well that was just my theory that seemed plausible to me

let DJ quit and let it sit for a few weeks then have Slash speak about speaking with Axl which of course would get the reunion turning and get everybody hyped up (which it certainly did) i guess all that could have came into fruition after DJ departed but it seems so crazy that 20 years worth on animosity was wiped away in a quick few months

i didn't expect a reunion until next year

Yeah, i'm really surprised they could get this sorted out as quickly as they have.

I started to believe there was something to the rumours when we (I'm speaking about the fans, not this forum) never received clarification on the matter. In some ways, silence on the matter spoke volumes. If reunion efforts weren't underway, you can bet such rumours would have been deflated some time ago.

downzy:

Great post.

As for your question, I have no idea. Like I said, I came into some information in July of last year that gave me a pretty good idea of what the game plan was for 2016. Obviously things have changed and my ability to get more information ended when all contacts stopped returning our questions. I completely understand the lack of communication considering the nature of what we now know was going on behind the scene with respect to Axl and Slash and a possible reunion. The last I heard was that DJ quit early to mid July and the news was met by Axl with disappointment and surprise. I have no idea whether they are still amicable or whether they still talk (I'd have a hard time believing they do, but again, that's just a guess). If I had to guess, DJ left for the reasons you stated and perhaps also felt as though his music contributions weren't be considered by Axl as much as DJ would have liked.

I don't disagree that there have been forces behind the reunion, but I firmly believe that Axl did not indulge in the idea until August of last year, or soon after he found out that he'd have to replace not one but two guitarists. Perhaps people associated with Slash and Duff were working towards this goal, but I don't think anyone with or in GNR was seriously considering it until this past summer.

So...they did in 4 months what they couldn't do in 20 years? Not buying it.

Lets see if someday the truth comes out from the horses mouth.

downzy:

Great post.

Thanks man. Posters like you are the reason I continue to visit this forum. Your balanced and informed opinion are noticed and appreciated by many.

• Like 1

Well From what I see, Ashba and Ron din't know about the reunion, They moved on to make music, they were not confident that Axl will actually release music in 2016.

A Question for Downzy, You have been saying that an album is in the works and you have your sources etc etc, IF that was the case then why Ashba quit? his main reason was that GNR was not moving forward. Be honest, did that friend of yours tell you that Ashba is going to quit?

You say that after august, this forum had all its ties disconnected with the management, can you elaborate on that? So that guy who were in contact with said he won't talk to you? and now since the past 2 weeks he is talking to you?

Edited by Slash787

downzy:

Great post.

It was never attempted in the last 20 years. You're right, it's surprising they could pull this together (though, I still don't think everything has been finalized), but you're conflating the matter. Perhaps once Axl gave his permission to explore the possibility with Slash efforts were made to have everything settled to land the Coachella payday. Who knows. All I know with certainty was that as of July 2015, Axl's primary concern was releasing a new album with the band he thought he had.

downzy:

Great post.

It was never attempted in the last 20 years. You're right, it's surprising they could pull this together (though, I still don't think everything has been finalized), but you're conflating the matter. Perhaps once Axl gave his permission to explore the possibility with Slash efforts were made to have everything settled to land the Coachella payday. Who knows. All I know with certainty was that as of July 2015, Axl's primary concern was releasing a new album with the band he thought he had.

Weiland said that contracts was on the table ready to sign while he was in VR. Also latter we learn that Slash presented some VR hits to GNR, and he was supposed to contribute in a couple of songs on CD.

Also, the GNRLA mod said that was TB who was after the reunion, not Axl.

Do you ppl remember the 2010 Duff incident at the hotel?

Edited by Russel Nash