Izzy stradlin

Billsfan

I don't agree @gunsfanoldie. If you're going to be surprised, then put Axl at the top of that list. For years we've had to hear how Izzy and Axl are bros from Indiana, and that is why Axl forgave Izzy and not Slash. That their friendship is more deep, and they have each others back no matter what. Yet here you and others are, going on and on about what Duff and Slash are supposedly doing to Izzy. :rolleyes:

Regardless, I think something will be worked out with Izzy. Not sure he can ever be back in the partnership though. He was bought out, so I'd assume he'd have to buy back in. Imo he wants more money for appearances.

Plus, I think some of your comments are testament to my point that people conflate Axl and Slash reuniting, with the AfD line-up getting back together. They are two are separate issues. Of course we all assumed the former would lead to the latter, but there are lots of reasons why they may not want to go back to that situation, and it may be the only way they can even begin to attempt to restart something again. You wonder why they'd bother to get back together if they don't do it the "right way", as if their relationship can not exist outside of the AfD line-up. Well maybe doing something completely new together is the right way for them, it doesn't have to be about Axl being a tyrant or one big money grab.

Maybe @SoulMonster has a point about moving forward, and that is what they want to do. 3 eras of GNR in one band. Frank, Fortus, Dizzy, Axl, Duff and Slash. The next album could be the sound of AfD, UYI and CD into something new. And the prospect of doing something new is what has helped motivate them to give this a try.

2 hours ago, Padme said:

Maybe it could also be that this time they don't want anyone (old band or new band) as guest at some shows. Your are either in or out for the whole thing no matter what. And they aren't sure about Izzy's commintment. But then I also wonder about Adler. If Adler isn't the involved in some capacity then why is he so silent? I personally want Izzy full time and the only rythm guitar guy in the band. But it's not up to me.

I think Steven is more astute than people give him credit for. Just because he doesn't couch his words, he gets written off as a junkie looser, who doesn't deserve to be involved with GNR. But I've always thought that when shit got real, he'd step up.

Edited by Babooshka
  • Like 3

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 4:37 AM, recklessroad said:

Hey the fact that the partnership is working together again is huge, give it some time and more good things will come

Hey Marc, great news with the partnership working together again & something I never thought this would happen. I imagine a revolving line-up with Axl, Duff, Slash & Dizzy (everyone forgets about him) at the core. GN'R are too big to ever host just the original 5 imo. Besides, the past 20 years has been a revolving line-up hasn't it? At the moment it seems to be Richard/Frank & Pittman.

So... 9 years ago Izzy was up for a reunion. 

Izzy had previously been invited to be part of VR, but he declined. This was around 12 years ago. 

But 10 years ago Izzy was touring with GN'R as a special guest. 

Izzy and Axl are the longest relationship in Guns N' Roses. So I'll be Poirot here and suggest that Slash is the problem. Because I can't imagine Duff being unfriendly towards anyone. 

Come back Izzy! You were my special fangirl crush. 

• Like 1

Impossible. Slash never had a problem with Izzy,they were friends from the beginning plus Izzy mocked Axl on twitter with the yo soy Axl Rose video. I think he has some issue going on with Axl  who maybe wants fortus in 

On 3/13/2016 at 11:55 AM, gunsfanoldie said:

That shocks me Marc. Mainly cause I just don't get why they wouldn't WANT Izzy. I understand that I guess its more money for them, but they all seem like guys with a good deal of integrity. At the VERY least, Duff seems like a very fair guy. I just can't even fathom how they'd get together and the topic of Izzy never comes up or they just say "we can do it without him." Even sadder cause 9 years ago would have bee the BEST time to have an Appetite reunion. That would really sadden me if they put this all together and Izzy reads about it through the internet or hears it through word of mouth. The man is a key component of the band, just as much as Axl, Slash and Duff. He deserves to at least be told first, if not automatically offered the chance to join.

I understand it from Guns point of view if they offer and Izzy says "maybe, I'll let you know. Maybe I'll be in and out." I can understand that being a bit too much for them. But to bypass him completely? All of a sudden Axl and Slash can share a stage but everyone leaves Izzy in the dust?! That seems incredulous. Also, if it had anything to do with Izzy's lack of wanting press, that shouldn't be a problem. Literally NONE of them are doing press right now or promoting it in any way. It seems like they are all doing this the Izzy Stradlin way! And if I were Izzy now, I'd be a little peeved if it took him coming out for them to involve him. There would no reason he hasn't talked to them yet if he hasn't.

Thanks for the answer though and thoughts. I know none of them are what you've heard from anyone, but it still makes me sad just to even think you might think this is the case. Thats not how it should be. Have you ever tried getting in contact with Izzy? Not to get information for us or anyone else, but just to reach out? Just to have a form of communication with the guy? Is there a reason you haven't talked to him in 9 years?  

You have to see it from their side of things. Easy to sit outside and speculate, but there is a lot of convoluted history between these guys. They are the epitome of a typical dysfunctional family. Five different personalities that have to be anchored to the same beat for this thing to work again - that's tough after being separated for so long. I'm sure it will be resolved.

I'm bored of "begging" izzy to be part of reunion,if he don't care or don't give a shit or they give him less money,then alright...i'm not going to hold my breath.He seems to be extreme indifference to GNR story,even if he just did some guests to 1-2 songs just for fun with Axl.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2016 at 3:49 AM, Gracii Guns said:

So... 9 years ago Izzy was up for a reunion. 

Izzy had previously been invited to be part of VR, but he declined. This was around 12 years ago. 

But 10 years ago Izzy was touring with GN'R as a special guest. 

Izzy and Axl are the longest relationship in Guns N' Roses. So I'll be Poirot here and suggest that Slash is the problem. Because I can't imagine Duff being unfriendly towards anyone. 

Come back Izzy! You were my special fangirl crush. 

He played with Slash on his solo album in 2010 though. With how hard it is we've heard to track Izzy down, to get him in the studio, recording on something that they didn't co-write, seems like a favor on both of their parts. Slash didn't have to ask and Izzy didn't have to say yes. I sense no rift there, because if either of them had a problem with the other that collaboration probably never would have happened.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a huge fan of Izzy's contributions and I believe GN'R died when he quit in 1991. But the other side of it is that I would not blame Axl/Duff/Slash for not trusting Izzy. He quit on them in the middle of a massive world tour. At a moment's notice he could drop everything he's doing and go ride dirt bikes in the desert. It's just part of his personality.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:55 PM, gunsfanoldie said:

I know, and its so true. I just read what you were saying in the "rock make a commercial comeback" thread and its all so true. I think you were the one saying "at some point doesn't Mick think he has enough money?!" I've said so many times people like McCartney, the Stones, Neil Young all charge $200-$400 for their concerts when they could charge $25 and still be absolutely FINE. I know why they don't, but at this point you'd think they have enough money to charge low.

I'm not expecting Guns to be this band of brothers anymore. They are all adults and money is money. I know thats a reality. What throws me is who's involved. Axl and Slash. Axl could have done this whenever and turned down money, and probably more success, than if he had done it years ago. Clearly now is different, we don't know why. Yes, Slash likes money, but he seemed to have integrity. He seemed to always say he'd do Guns again if it was done right. Hell, the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame was perfect because they did it respectfully with Sorum, Adler, and Gilby. But I get that Slash has also played the Super Bowl, whored himself out to many things, and Axl has always had a lavish lifestyle and changes opinions like the wind.

What gets me is Duff. Duff seems like SUCH a down to earth guy. He's friends with everyone, he really DOESN'T sell himself out, and he lives a more than comfortable lifestyle. It shocks me Axl and Slash would do Guns without Izzy, but it TRULY throws me Duff would. Cause Duff doesn't seem like a guy that needs the money. I'm sure its amazing, but he DOES seem like the guy that would throw it all away cause its not being done right. We obviously don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it really confuses me that he'd go along with it, without really fighting for Izzy, in the wake of Izzy seeming to say he wasn't even asked. Slash and Axl have business minds, there's no doubt about it. Duff really seemed different.

Neil Young? Are you serious? You're putting Neil's ticket prices in Stones, McCartney territory. Where was that show at? Kevin Costner's backyard in Field of Dreams? Get real. Obviously you've never been to or priced one of his shows. I bought a pair of tickets to see him at the end of the month for 70$...and I even checked on the prices of the front(er) rows and the stub price still isn't in your completely fictional ballpark. Hell, a few years back I sat 3rd row for one of his shows and still didn't pay what you're claiming. I think of Neil Young as even higher stature (or at least certainly equal) to those kinds of acts - especially considering the energy and raw emotion he still puts into his shows well into his 70's. As a singer/songwriter I don't think the bar he's set can or ever will be eclipsed or even approached...so I think he could even justify charging those kinds of prices, but he doesn't.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Depends on the year.

both videos are pre 1993 so dont mean much. axl,slash,duff and izzy have toured together since then in 93 when gilby broke his wrist

5 minutes ago, donny said:

both videos are pre 1993 so dont mean much. axl,slash,duff and izzy have toured together since then in 93 when gilby broke his wrist

They're obviously on good terms now, but he said Slash never had a problem with Izzy. Slash said he hated Izzy for a while back then and downplayed his UYI contributions. 

Edited by AtariLegend

33 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

They're obviously on good terms now, but he said Slash never had a problem with Izzy. Slash said he hated Izzy for a while back then and downplayed his UYI contributions. 

Slash also said in other interviews during that time that he never liked playing with Izzy from a technical standpoint. however, Slash in the later years said that he's always struggled playing with a 2nd guitarist because it was something that he never had to do prior.

Izzy and Slash's relationship was complicated from the get-go. during the formation years, Izzy and Slash essentially battled with each other to try and get Axl for their own bands. Slash specifically talked about wanting to 'pry' Axl away from Izzy. from Axl's standpoint, however, he always looked up to Izzy and didn't want to be separated from him. but he also realized that he really wanted Slash in the band after seeing him play with other lineups.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2016 at 5:55 AM, Mr. Dude said:

Neil Young? Are you serious? You're putting Neil's ticket prices in Stones, McCartney territory. Where was that show at? Kevin Costner's backyard in Field of Dreams? Get real. Obviously you've never been to or priced one of his shows. I bought a pair of tickets to see him at the end of the month for 70$...and I even checked on the prices of the front(er) rows and the stub price still isn't in your completely fictional ballpark. Hell, a few years back I sat 3rd row for one of his shows and still didn't pay what you're claiming. I think of Neil Young as even higher stature (or at least certainly equal) to those kinds of acts - especially considering the energy and raw emotion he still puts into his shows well into his 70's. As a singer/songwriter I don't think the bar he's set can or ever will be eclipsed or even approached...so I think he could even justify charging those kinds of prices, but he doesn't.

Ok, wow. I can only speak for the shows in my area. He charged $175 for top price when he played with Crazy Horse in arenas two or three years ago and he charged $200-$400 when he played Carnegie Hall near me two years ago. I am NOT making that up, because I would have loved to see these shows and was priced out. AND the one time I did see him in like 2010, I sat in the back of Madison Square Garden for 100 bucks. I did the same when the Stones last toured sitting in the cheapest seats for $90. So yes, I do think the two are comparable, although yes unlike Paul or the Stones I guess Neil doesn't have the same kind of VIP packages they do.

I can't see Izzy or Steve playing Chinese era tunes and in order for Axl to save face he wants those tunes played as part of the GNR evolution. Izzy is just to non-commital to rely on for 3 million dollars a show, same goes for Adler. I completely understand why this Incarnation of GNR is happening. Hopefully there will be guest spots for Izzy but I can see why he'd but put off by that. I'm sure Steven will show up at some point once his back his healed.

Axl considered Gilby and Matt about as important to GNR as pitman or Bubblefoot

On 13/04/2016 at 3:22 PM, gunsfanoldie said:

Ok, wow. I can only speak for the shows in my area. He charged $175 for top price when he played with Crazy Horse in arenas two or three years ago and he charged $200-$400 when he played Carnegie Hall near me two years ago. I am NOT making that up, because I would have loved to see these shows and was priced out. AND the one time I did see him in like 2010, I sat in the back of Madison Square Garden for 100 bucks. I did the same when the Stones last toured sitting in the cheapest seats for $90. So yes, I do think the two are comparable, although yes unlike Paul or the Stones I guess Neil doesn't have the same kind of VIP packages they do.

You can actually check Neil's prices by looking at his tickets stubs at this website, just search at the side and click on the date.

http://www.sugarmtn.org/

Looking at the Carnegie Hall from 2014, what you say seems to be true,

201401060stub.jpg

Yes, that is dear. It would be hypocritical for me to defend that seeing as I've criticised GN'R's prices. I'm disappointed with Neil here. But then, as I've told you before, he is charging £60-75 in the UK. The following is pasted from my email/reciept,

Neil Young + Promise of The Read - Seated
First Direct Arena, Leeds,
Fri 10 Jun 2016, 19:00 

Total Charge: £74.45

£74.45 is $105 and this is the top tier (from two - Europe does not have all these different price brackets), at the front (as I bought it the minute they went on sale) in an auditorium, not a sports arena. I do not think that is too bad. 

Personally I think you yanks are just been raped financially by every artist. I'd be priced out of everybody's show if I lived in the states.

PS

Neil Young played Madison Square Gardens 2008 (twice) and 2012 - 2012 was with Crazy Horse. The 2012 ticket ,

201211270stub.jpg

$98 with some weird $17.05 extra!

Edited by DieselDaisy

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You can actually check Neil's prices by looking at his tickets stubs at this website, just search at the side and click on the date.

201401060stub.jpg

Yes, that is dear. It would be hypocritical for me to defend that seeing as I've criticised GN'R's prices. I'm disappointed with Neil here. But then, as I've told you before, he is charging £60-75 in the UK. The following is pasted from my email/reciept,

£74.45 is $105 and this is the top tier (from two - Europe does not have all these different price brackets), at the front (as I bought it the minute they went on sale) in an auditorium, not a sports arena. I do not think that is too bad. 

Personally I think you yanks are just been raped financially by every artist. I'd be priced out of everybody's show if I lived in the states.

PS

Neil Young played Madison Square Gardens 2008 (twice) and 2012 - 2012 was with Crazy Horse. The 2012 ticket ,

201211270stub.jpg

The moral of this story is rob the fuckers at the name venues :lol:

It will be Elliot Roberts setting prices, Neil's infamous manager, a ruthless operator who obtains the best for his artist. One person (promoter perhaps) who was trying to negotiate a huge financial deal with Roberts put his hands on his desk, bent over and said, ''right Elliot, we may as well get it over and done with now''. Roberts was an apprentice of David Geffen so that about says it all. The two of them were opening up mail at the William Morris Agency, job correspondence, company information, while forging university credentials for themselves to climb the greasy pole of the music industry. They are geniuses in the 'dark arts'.

could Izzy and Steven really do a world tour? We haven't seen that since their full time commitment for GN'R - and that was 25+ years ago!!
Also take a look at Axl's 2008 chats, where he only saw Slash and Duff being able to do a professional world tour.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 6:03 PM, DieselDaisy said:

201401060stub.jpg

PS

201211270stub.jpg

You're talking about different scenarios though. The first ticket is from a Neil Young solo show- which are always in smaller venues and always more expensive. I paid 90$ a ticket to see Neil on the Le Noise/Hitchiker tour in 2010, but when are you ever gonna be able to see an artist of that stature in an intimate venue (1,000-2000 seaters) like that? The 2nd is a 14th row seat from MSG on the (most likely, but hopefully not) Crazyhorse farewell tour. That still ain't in Stones, McCartney, or even Springsteen territory. Like I said, I just bought a pair of tickets to see Neil and Promise of the Real at the end of this month for $70.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Dude said:

You're talking about different scenarios though. The first ticket is from a Neil Young solo show- which are always in smaller venues and always more expensive. I paid 90$ a ticket to see Neil on the Le Noise/Hitchiker tour in 2010, but when are you ever gonna be able to see an artist of that stature in an intimate venue (1,000-2000 seaters) like that? The 2nd is a 14th row seat from MSG on the (most likely, but hopefully not) Crazyhorse farewell tour. That still ain't in Stones, McCartney, or even Springsteen territory. Like I said, I just bought a pair of tickets to see Neil and Promise of the Real at the end of this month for $70.

I'm seeing that same tour in June. Really looking forward to it.

• Like 1