That Ashba SCOM disaster..

Nice Boy

not sure if this should be posted in the former members section, and i'm sure it's been discussed before but i haven't seen it. so...

what the hell happened with that Golden Gods 2014 performance when Ashba started playing the SCOM intro solo and it was wayyyy out of tune? Did he use the wrong/wrongly tuned guitar or what? Whose fault was it, his or a guitar tech's?

i can barely watch it as it's so awful, i bet ashba "got the corn" for that one !!!

Edited by Nice Boy

Guitar tech's job is partly to make sure the guitar is in tune - so they take the rap for this one.

I'm no Ashba fan but can't exactly blame him. He should, however, have stopped and got it fixed rather than continuing, so that's on him.

It's clearly out of tune...that's why once the verse starts you can see him walk off stage and then has a different guitar the next time he's seen.

And I'm pretty sure Axl would've been the only one with any kind of authority to stop the song and restart. Filming TV is a bitch. IMO Ashba did what a pro would do. Play through it and act like nothing's wrong until he had a chance to switch guitars.

p.s. eff DJ Ashba :) so glad he's not in GnR anymore

Edited by bbedwards

1 hour ago, Nice Boy said:

not sure if this should be posted in the former members section, and i'm sure it's been discussed before but i haven't seen it. so...

what the hell happened with that Golden Gods 2014 performance when Ashba started playing the SCOM intro solo and it was wayyyy out of tune? Did he use the wrong/wrongly tuned guitar or what? Whose fault was it, his or a guitar tech's?

i can barely watch it as it's so awful, i bet ashba "got the corn" for that one !!!

That intro fits just fine with THAT singing,at least the guitar gets better.?

If I was Team Brazil I would be taking legal action to have all traces of this performance removed lol

Led Zeppelin banned video release of their Live Aid gig with Phil Collins didn't they, because they thought it sucked.. though it's available now

personally I can't see that much particularly with the LZ performance apart from their 80s wardrobes :/

there's been discussion about how he should have remedied the situ... but what's the answer to my original question, i.e. what caused him to play with an out of tune guitar? is it because the previous song was played in an unusually tuned guitar and he forgot to switch, or what?

it seems a calamitous mistake for a professional to make.

• 2 weeks later...

It was one of the funnest times to be on the forum chat room. Seeing that live and just going off on him was SO much more fun than it should have been. Many great memories from that night.

It was even better cause we were all joking that he would play it terribly then it actually happened and it was worse than anyone would have thought.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

It was one of the funnest times to be on the forum chat room. Seeing that live and just going off on him was SO much more fun than it should have been. Many great memories from that night.

It was even better cause we were all joking that he would play it terribly then it actually happened and it was worse than anyone would have thought.

Golden Gods was a hilarious night for the wrong reasons but one of my favorite nights on the forum either way

#cash4gold, I hate myself for loving you, all the shit bands and weirdos. ..