Axl Rose's extremely positive remarks about Matt Sorum in 1990 MTV interview

Starts talking about Sorum @ 3:11

I never knew Axl appreciated Matt so much.  In this interview Axl says that Matt was a miracle and that he saved the band.  He said Matt was good about writing music and was good about working with the band and taking criticism.  Interesting stuff

Also talks about Coma @ 5:05

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 1

I remember seeing that interview live. 

My, how times have changed...pretty sure Axl doesn't want to have much to do with Matt anymore.  It's one thing to be critical of Axl if you were from the classic lineup and a partner at some point.....but being critical of him as a past a hired musician, I'm pretty sure that would put the nail in the coffin of any chance of playing with him again.  Just a guess.....:lol:

Edited by Kasanova King

10 minutes ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

LOL, well I've never watched this interview.  I've read the remarks about Axl describing Coma as Slash's baby and it originally being called Girth.  Now I know where that came from

Just bustin your chops brother

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Kurt Loders fake laughing is very irritating in that interview

That's actually Kurt Loder's legit laugh, LOL. He and Axl seemed to actually enjoy talking together and they did a couple of good interviews back in the day besides this one.

It amazes me every time I go back and watch those Loder interviews I'm floored by how superior the content is to these watered down Eddie Trunk fanboy interviews.

Loder's asks interesting questions gives us incite on Axl's upbringing that helps us better understand him.

You get nothing new out of those trunk interviews only the headline stuff everyone and their mother uses as a clutch like starting shows late, everyone gets along great, I'm having the most fun I've ever had yada yada.

Even the original Trunk interview which was like Christmas for us fans only happened because of Baz. And between Baz and Piazza we got some good stuff out of Axl.

Its funny though I always listed to Trunk's show and he never gave GN'R the same respect he gives Maiden, Kiss, Aerosmith and Metallica. Once that interview happened it put Eddie Trunk's name on the wordwide map and he benefitted from it financially as it has opened new doors for him in the business. Now all of a sudden he is best friends with Slash, Axl, Bumble, DJ etc and acts like he is the first to report all the exclusives. He probably is being that he managed to buddy up with Slash & Todd Kerns. 

If Trunk was such a big GN'r fan he would've been there helping nu-gnr and buckethead, finck & brain get some positive publicity like Loder and Jon from MTV were. But Trunk was nowhere to be found until he hit the lottery thanks to Baz. It's all about who you know and Trunk sure knows how to work it as evident by the constant name drops during all his shows.

Edited by Top-Hatted One

From that to additional musician. To be brutally honest when I listen to Estranged, You Could Be Mine, November Rain and more from Illusions, I think Matt's style worked very well for Guns.

Never liked the actual sound of the drums on the Illusions, but for example the robotic and accurate drumming fits so well with You Could Be Mine. He's nowhere near as good as Adler, but he does have something cool about his playing. I would actually love to hear him play You Could Be Mine and November Rain again live with Guns. Adler and Matt being a part of it will make it a party.

yup I agree those are the songs I can safely say would not sound right with Adler's spin. Throw Locomotive in there too. Precise/impeccable timing

Sorum's finest GN'R moments:

YCBM

Locomotive

Estranged

Nov Rain

yup I agree those are the songs I can safely say would not sound right with Adler's spin. Throw Locomotive in there too. Precise/impeccable timing

Sorum's finest GN'R moments:

YCBM

Locomotive

Estranged

Nov Rain

Edited by Top-Hatted One

A little tidbit that you may not know (if this interview is new for you, then i'm sure you not know this)

Sorum helped with the arrangements on November Rain. That's why the song got so fucking cheesy at the end of the day. It worked, though... the masses loved it/love it

Edited by Strange Broue

2 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Once that interview happened it put Eddie Trunk's name on the wordwide map and he benefitted from it financially as it opened up new doors for him.

Who the f*%k is this Eddie Trunk? 'Nuff said...

1 hour ago, jjflyer said:

This really makes me miss the way MTV used to be when I could actually get music news and interviews from them. Depressing. 

Yep, grew up with this stuff. Good ol' days...

And I, for my part, always felt irritated by Loder. Of course, that was then, compared to today's interviews, Loder's were still much better but I always felt he was a sort of an inherently boring guy asking boring questions. Guy loved to focus on what I didn't much care about and interrupt when they started talking smth interesting. BTW I loved how Slash complained about being interviewed by him :lol:

4 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

A little tidbit that you may not know (if this interview is new for you, then i'm sure you not know this)

Sorum helped with the arrangements on November Rain. That's why the song got so fucking cheesy at the end of the day. It worked, though... the masses loved it/love it

I did not know this.  Very interesting.  I hope Matt gets to do some songs or shows for the upcoming tour(s)