Welcome Melissa Reese to Guns N' Roses!

46 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

GnR has had plenty of female musicians on board in the past, why are some people getting so upset? 

Tracy & Roberta, Cece Worrall, Anne King and Lisa Maxwell all made great contributions to this band in the UYI era. The extended 'Move to the City' in Tokyo is awesome and shows how versatile the band as a whole were.

Welcome her. Now is a great time to be a GnR fan. Be thankful for what we have, it's awesome, and no yellow raincoats or out of tune Ashba SCOM intros to be seen!!  

Tracy, Roberta and the girls for 'Move to the City' were a complete different thing!

They weren't considered BAND MEMBERS, we all knew they were backing singers and additional musicians for specific songs (not the whole show). They were low-profile chicks, not the girlfriend or spouse of anyone (that we know of) and fans didn't think much of them until they were brought onstage.

But this chick, everybody's talking about her and welcoming her as a band member, filling a position most of us think is unnecessary. But it looks like some people hated more the former member than the position itself and now they are like 'ok, let her stay'. Just because she is, they say 'hot, young, fresh'... WTF. 

Since when GNR turned into One Direction?

42 minutes ago, tremolo said:

I could bet my two hands you are a broad.

Broads hate other broads, for no good reason, there's just always that jealousy between them, secretly hating their "BFF" because they are prettier, have a cuter boyfriend, has more money, etc. If it was a man instead of a guy I'm sure it wouldn't bother you at all.

I don't think anyone is sucking up to her. It's just a positive welcome to a new GNR member. She is clearly talented, what's the problem?

I say let's wait and see. Maybe she'll add something to the band. Maybe she will just fuck up. Saying she doesn't belong there at this point seems unfair.

I don't know what is a broad but it'd be cool if you refrained from assuming stuff about my life when you don't know me at all. Do you want me to start assuming shit about you? Don't give me green light 'cause I can become pretty mean and nasty.

Stick to the debate without having resorting to ad-hominem arguments and chitchat no one needs or wants to read.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

I tend to like/have a soft heart for professionals who are subjected to criticism based on their age, sex and looks.

Funny, you never showed in sympathy towards Slash, or Steven for that matter who gets attacked for his looks.

I think a more apt explantation is that you like going round, looking for a fight from those who happen to express a different opinion than yours.

1 minute ago, Babooshka said:

Funny, you never showed in sympathy towards Slash, or Steven for that matter who gets attacked for his looks.

I have never noticed either get attacked for their age/looks/sex. If they have and I saw it and not reacted, it was not because I agreed with that criticism.

The thing is Guns N' Roses are probably the second most sexist band on earth: ''Back off Bitch'', ''You Could Be Mine'' etc etc. At their club shows they employed strippers. In their videos their model girlfriends are paraded before the camera like ornaments. If you contrast this with the great female singer-songwriters of the '60s and '70s, artists like Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, etc. Guns N' Roses were actually a regression in popular music (from feminism), a chauvinistic throwback (which is one of the things people liked about them I suspect).

If I was a woman of a feminist conviction, I certainly wouldn't want to play for Guns N' Roses.

First most sexist band on earth? Obviously Crue.

1 hour ago, GNRSkidRow1 said:

It's weird how people can say she's a "great addition" or can give any opinion really if they weren't there. We have no video footage to go off of. Whether or not someone is right for a band should ultimately depend on how good their playing is and if they have the ability to compliment the playing of their band mates. We really have no idea at this moment.

Welcome, Melissa.

I say she is a great addition as I am a fan of her music and know what she can bring to the table.

It's not like they forced her to dress as a stripper or anything. The comparisons to Motley Crue are a little off. She's just there to play keyboards on a few songs and happens to be a woman. It could have been anyone and might be in the future. They'd most likely have stuck with Pitman if, you know, he hadn't bashed the tour in public.

• Like 1

When I first saw the pic, I had an odd feeling that it was Melissa; heard her work before with Brain & Buckethead, but she seemed otherwise unremarkable

I can dig it, fresh blood is always exciting :axl:

2 minutes ago, Stress Fracture said:

It's not like they forced her to dress as a stripper or anything. The comparisons to Motley Crue are a little off. She's just there to play keyboards on a few songs and happens to be a woman. It could have been anyone and might be in the future. They'd most likely have stuck with Pitman if, you know, he hadn't bashed the tour in public.

Which is exactly why I said a woman ''of a feminist conviction''. If she is in Guns N' Roses I suspect she does not care about any of that stuff, or has perhaps not bothered to think about it.

23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The thing is Guns N' Roses are probably the second most sexist band on earth: ''Back off Bitch'', ''You Could Be Mine'' etc etc. At their club shows they employed strippers. In their videos their model girlfriends are paraded before the camera like ornaments. If you contrast this with the great female singer-songwriters of the '60s and '70s, artists like Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, etc. Guns N' Roses were actually a regression in popular music (from feminism), a chauvinistic throwback (which is one of the things people liked about them I suspect).

If I was a woman of a feminist conviction, I certainly wouldn't want to play for Guns N' Roses.

First most sexist band on earth? Obviously Crue.

I don't know about that, Diesel. You might have argued that they were a sexist band back in the 80s, like most sleaze bands on Sunset Strip back in those days, but that they have moved away from this since then. Sexist songs lyrics on UYIs typcially originated back in the 80s. It is a bit unfair to charcaterize a band by such a small part of their history. Not much sexism the last couple of decades, except for the odd t-shirt, sexist songs still in the setlists, and some female dancers in Vegas.

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Which is exactly why I said a woman ''of a feminist conviction''. If she is in Guns N' Roses I suspect she does not care about any of that stuff, or has perhaps not bothered to think about it.

Or maybe she realizes that GN'R today isn't like GN'R in 1986? Maybe she even talked to Brain about what he thought about joining GN'R?

• Like 1

I won't argue about the content of some of those lyrics, but it's 30 years later and they don't write that way now.

If you compare Guns N' Roses' videos, in general, to others of the era, they're actually markedly LESS sexist. The women in the videos were usually actually their friends and partners -- not random models just hired for the shoot. In SCOM the girlfriends are sitting there watching the shoot; they're not shaking their asses, and they show them like twice. In Patience the one woman who is overtly sexy is almost there as a joke; Slash is totally ignoring her in favor of his snakes. In Jungle Axl ogles some woman's ass for about two seconds at the beginning and that's about it. In November Rain there's a sappy wedding. There aren't any women at all in Yesterdays, Estranged, Garden of Eden, Paradise City, etc. Compare that to some of the other 1980s/1990s bands' videos that have anonymous women who seem to be there for no other reason than to be eye candy.

Don't Cry would be the only one I'd actually think to be sexist, what with the gratuitous girl on girl fight. And It's So Easy, but that one is *supposed* to be an S&M scene.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, paranoyd androyd said:

i just find it so discouraging because it bloats the band and disrupts their identity even further. frankly, i find it embarrassing because of what it symbolizes.

since the conclusion of the AFD tour, Axl's vision of the future was for a huge ensemble band that he would have complete control over. he took the necessary steps at that time and bullied his way into making that happen.

thus a move like this is just a microcosm of the never-ending dysfunction and the rudderless ship that is 'GNR'. this is nowhere close to being a real band, it's just a trademark.

"Team Brazil" (laughable name) is a group of enablers who've always been deathly afraid of losing their meal ticket. they have zero clue as to how the music industry works. i mean, it's just embarrassing.

their only goal is to sell one huge 'reunion' tour and then cash out with Axl. it was the last card they could play to keep the trademark alive. Slash and Duff knew it going in, so they made sure to secure contracts in their favor.

I wanted to like this, but I'd run out.

Rudderless ship is spot on.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

We are taking the piss Gracii, at least I am and I suspect Len - that British pasttime of piss pulling. These days, I personally couldn't care if they replaced Axl and Slash with women - such is my disinterested cynicism.

Exactly the same here.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Speaking of the fairer sex, look at this girl on the left of the picture,

281hkao.jpg

on the one hand it's sexist to have a laugh about them having a bird on whilst the band use completely non-relevant bits of crumpet in this rather odd image for promotion :lol:  Aside from all the sexism bollocks, this is actually quite shite, isn't it?  What are they trying to do here, rediscover the sleaze?  Come on boys, you can do better than that.  Really obvious and hammy.

I don't know about that, Diesel. You might have argued that they were a sexist band back in the 80s, like most sleaze bands on Sunset Strip back in those days, but that they have moved away from this since then. Sexist songs lyrics on UYIs typcially originated back in the 80s. It is a bit unfair to charcaterize a band by such a small part of their history. Not much sexism the last couple of decades, except for the odd t-shirt, sexist songs still in the setlists, and some female dancers in Vegas.

Oh yeah, they've moved well away, yeah :lol: 

Edited by Len B'stard

Just now, Len B'stard said:

One the hand it's sexist to have a laugh about them having a bird on whilst the band use completely non-relevant bits of crumpet in this rather odd image for promotion :lol:  Aside from all the sexism bollocks, this is actually quite shite, isn't it?  What are they trying to do here, rediscover the sleaze?  Come on boys, you can do better than that.  Really obvious and hammy.

The girl's nickname is scooter. I think she comes from Whitley Bay.

Yes. 'Museum sleeze'. A faithful recreation of where Izzy spunked on Slash's leg in a garage. It is the GN'R equivalent of one of those mocked-up Victorian streets found in museums. Have you seen the pictures of this museum? You can stare at Axl's shoes behind perspex glass!

Fair play to em man, dont wanna just criticise and wee on everyones parade, quite frankly id have to be stupid to expect anything else than a highly commercial enterprise im regards to all this, it was never gonna be The Beatles hopping on a rooftop, was it?