A new song HAS to follow...

Yeah, Axl should have made new music and didn't but remember there was no Slash in the band. Now Slash is back, Axl is obviously happy and excited about it. He might have missed composing and recording with Slash just as much as touring with him so I wouldn't consider a new album impossible. In fact I think we will hear some new music and it will be sooner than later.

Point is Axl loves Slash's guitars, he has always been delighted, impressed and what not with it like with nothing else. To be honest I don't think anyone else could truly satisfy him in this respect and this is one of the reasons there so little post-Slash era music out there. Axl is a perfectionist, if he feels something would have sounded better if Slash did that he will be reluctant to release it in any other version, even if at that moment he hates the idea of ever having anything to do with Slash again. Like "since I know it could possibly knock me off my feet and it doesn't exactly do this, I'm not getting it out, fuck you all". Now that Slash is back and if he really knocks Axl off his feet with some melodies, which is very likely, the chance for new songs is million times bigger than in the last two decades.

And who knows what they've been doing behind the closed doors lately? They prepared the whole tour, the Troubadour show and we knew shit about, maybe they have 3/4 of an album ready? Maybe that's what Wall means when he speaks of surprises and spoilers? Anyway, we'll see...

axl has a lot of unreleased recorded songs for chinese democracy and we know that. just give em all to slash and duff (and izzy if possible) to work on it and bang, new songs.

i think that izzy may be part pf the tour based on his tweet : "At this point in time , I`ve no involvement in the upcoming April 2016 GNR shows", tour starts in june.

I'd bet my arse Slash and Duff will work on new songs while on tour. That's how it works, that's how they work.

I don't know what will happen to them, I don't know if Axl will sing on them, but I know Slash and Duff will work on new music. Even if it's for VR  :lol:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I'd bet my arse Slash and Duff will work on new songs while on tour. That's how it works, that's how they work.

I don't know what will happen to them, I don't know if Axl will sing on them, but I know Slash and Duff will work on new music. Even if it's for VR  :lol:

And Axl will promptly take those songs of Slash's and Duff's and put them in his vault alongside Chinese 2 and Paul Tobias.

• Like 1

I just can't see Slash and Duff coming back to all this adulation to then just playing old stuff on some tour that can be labelled a cash grab. Maybe if it was the AFD 5 they could get away with it. But with just the the big 3 there's something to prove. 

• Like 2

On April 2, 2016 at 8:52 AM, paranoyd androyd said:

good to see others starting to see the light and be realistic about things. it took me a while myself because i wanted so badly for things to be different, but they're just not when you really look at it.

hate to say it, but i almost don't want them to release anything new out of fear of how poor it could sound. honestly wouldn't want to feel embarrassed for them again. their legacy has been so thoroughly tarnished over these last 25 years of pure absurdity. sometimes you just have to sit back and look at everything that's happened and... just laugh.

as great as GNR was for about 5 years (and yes, they were magical), this is nothing more than the final remnants of what became of Axl and Slash the 'cartoon' characters. one last run at some money which is the way most acts exit. and it satisfies the fans' feelings of nostalgia at the same time, so everyone's content.

but no one should be surprised if someone in this current incarnation ends up pulling the plug during the coming tour. when you think about it, last night would've actually been the perfect time for them to call it quits... a full circle return to the Troub and then hang it up for good.

IMO a band worrying about its legacy is about as un-rock n roll as it gets. If a band is worried about that then yes, they should retire. 

A 2017 album is going to have no affect on how amazing Appetite, Lies, Illusions and CD are. A crappy album today shouldn't make anybody throw away their Appetite albums. A bad album today isn't going to make Estranged a bad song. 

Imagine if somebody told you that you need to retire because you aren't as good at your job as you were 20 years ago. You would tell them to mind their own business. You have a family to feed. A house mortgage to pay. A retirement to build. And you love your job. 

If a bunch of lifetime musicians want to share their music with fans - more power to them. It's their life and legacy. Not ours. 

• Like 1

Axl did say the true vision of Chinese Democracy was for it to be "traditional record", similar to Appetite, but he couldn't do it justice without Slash. New music is coming. 

Edited by GNRFan53

I think a big thing about new recordings is adapting to the current state of the band.

By that I mean Axl sounds like a fucking beast still in his lower register (ISE).... And in The Seeker, whatever voice or register that is... His sort of "HEY GET THAT GUY OUTTA HERE" angry clean voice..... That sounds amazing.

Slash can write a record in a month... They need songs that showcase them as they are now, so we can stop bitching about rasp and seeing Axl lick his fingers singing about banging teenagers. That's not how they cymbal washed it in the 80s.... WE NEED NEW ROCK MUSIC.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I agree that we have no other reason to believe that it's nothing more than a nostalgia show.

That said, every logo they've used since the 90s have been fucking GARBAGE. 

So glad they've ditched the Journey font bullshit and whatever the fuck the nonsense CD logo was. Awful.

The whole band look and merch was horrible, too. It got better in 2006. but was not as good as velvet revolvers artwork. i would still prefer the greatest hits logo in silver for gnr 2016.