Slash's Demeanor Last Night At The Troubadour

3 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Here's the thing:  We tend to forget that our favorite professional worldwide-known musicians are humans too.  They also get nervous, anxious -- like everybody else.  Slash has always been a shy person.  Back in the day when REAL Guns N' Roses ruled the world, he had drugs and alcohol helping him feel more relaxed and free.  Not anymore.

I remember his performance when REAL Guns N' Roses were inducted into the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame, he was nervous too.  He gave a very nervous-like speech.  His playing was a bit off at times and he looked laser-like focus, which is exactly the same term the OP used to describe this first performance of Guns since Argentina, 1993.  It will take him some time to 'get used' to it.  Or, better said, to get back to what it once was.  In my opinion he was just focused on not fucking it up.  I know, he has played most of these songs, his own songs, songs that he has written, a million times, but have we never failed at doing something we have done countless times?  I know I have, and that's specially when I get nervous.

Let's not forget that these gentlemen are humans, too.  For what I have seen, and I have not seen too much, Slash killed the fucking show.  We'll see a more 'loosen up' Slash as the tour unfolds and more venues are played but he's a beast playing guitar and his playing has never been better.  He's killing it left and right.  Day and night.

To be honest, there's no "I have to prove something to Axl" yada yada bullshit going on.  They're playing together again.  The end.

Spot on mate I noticed the same at hall of fame and on his new bluray. Just wait until they are firing on all cylinders it will be off the charts

Edited by Gibbo 27

They would all be feeling nervous like the timing problem at the start of wttj . Duff looked to be the most relaxed you wait until the band does a few shows and loosen up

Edited by Gibbo 27

4 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Here's the thing:  We tend to forget that our favorite professional worldwide-known musicians are humans too.  They also get nervous, anxious -- like everybody else.  Slash has always been a shy person.  Back in the day when REAL Guns N' Roses ruled the world, he had drugs and alcohol helping him feel more relaxed and free.  Not anymore.

I remember his performance when REAL Guns N' Roses were inducted into the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame, he was nervous too.  He gave a very nervous-like speech.  His playing was a bit off at times and he looked laser-like focus, which is exactly the same term the OP used to describe this first performance of Guns since Argentina, 1993.  It will take him some time to 'get used' to it.  Or, better said, to get back to what it once was.  In my opinion he was just focused on not fucking it up.  I know, he has played most of these songs, his own songs, songs that he has written, a million times, but have we never failed at doing something we have done countless times?  I know I have, and that's specially when I get nervous.

Let's not forget that these gentlemen are humans, too.  For what I have seen, and I have not seen too much, Slash killed the fucking show.  We'll see a more 'loosen up' Slash as the tour unfolds and more venues are played but he's a beast playing guitar and his playing has never been better.  He's killing it left and right.  Day and night.

To be honest, there's no "I have to prove something to Axl" yada yada bullshit going on.  They're playing together again.  The end.

If I could like this twice I would. Agree with every word (outside of the "REAL Guns N' Roses thing of course :P). Even though phones were on lock down, etc, people forget that there would still have been massive pressure on everyone there, Slash included. I bet Vegas will be quite a bit more loose for everyone on stage and it'll only get moreso as the tour goes on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mashandflutter said:

Even though they have made up and agreed to do this tour (which is incredible) I think old emotions die hard which is what I think we witnessed a little last night.

Reading comments like these..I really hope none of the GNR members is visiting this forum. It seems people will always find negativity in everything.

8 hours ago, paranoyd androyd said:

my first thought last night before they hit the stage was that Slash appeared depressed in the backstage photos that leaked online. his face, posture, everything was sluggish and kinda hard a dark undertone IMO.

IF he's indeed currently depressed, there's two big factors that could be at work - first, his ongoing divorce process and second, his ongoing grief process about Lemmy's death (Slash has stated how deeply this is affecting him).

when you consider the above plus add in his likely apprehension/anxiety/fear (whatever you want to call it) about rejoining Axl, it wouldn't be a surprise to me that he's carrying a very heavy heart mixed with a lot of conflicting feelings about what he's decided to do (at least for now anyway).

i believe Slash will take things with this current incarnation of 'GNR' on a day-to-day basis where he won't be afraid to pull out if he feels it's in his best interest. 

I got that feeling too.

• Like 1

In contrast to many other here I don't have a degree in psychiatry and will abstain from commenting on Slash's demeanor based on a few picture and video snippets.

I will say, though, that it would be interesting to hear his genuine views on rejoining GN'R. As far as I can remember if he were to rejoin the band he wanted it to be as part of a reunion of the AFD or UYI lineup, basically a revisit to what the band was back then, and that is very far from what we saw yesterday with two keyboard players, Frank and Richard, and a setlist spanning the whole discography including CD. I would also like to hear whether they have renegotiated the partnership or if Slash is on a temporary contract presumably like Frank and Richard (and probably Melissa).

I guess for Slash, Axl is a potential liability and this could cause some worry about returning to GN'R. But for Axl, too, Slash may be considered a liability since he has quit the band once before and also quit VR. I would think neither of them accepted Slash returning to the fold without having some agreement in place that covers their back - either by obliging Axl to do what is required to get through the tour (meeting up on time, not quitting gigs, etc), and bind Slash for as long as the band has planned to tour and what comes after.

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

In contrast to many other here I don't have a degree in psychiatry and will abstain from commenting on Slash's demeanor based on a few picture and video snippets.

I will say, though, that it would be interesting to hear his genuine views on rejoining GN'R. As far as I can remember if he were to rejoin the band he wanted it to be as part of a reunion of the AFD or UYI lineup, basically a revisit to what the band was back then, and that is very far from what we saw yesterday with two keyboard players, Frank and Richard, and a setlist spanning the whole discography including CD. I would also like to hear whether they have renegotiated the partnership or if Slash is on a temporary contract presumably like Frank and Richard (and probably Melissa).

I guess for Slash, Axl is a potential liability and this could cause some worry about returning to GN'R. But for Axl, too, Slash may be considered a liability since he has quit the band once before and also quit VR. I would think neither of them accepted Slash returning to the fold without having some agreement in place that covers their back - either by obliging Axl to do what is required to get through the tour (meeting up on time, not quitting gigs, etc), and bind Slash for as long as the band has planned to tour and what comes after.

I didn't know that you needed a degree in psychiatry to be intuitive/perceptive..news to me. 

For everyone saying Slash was too quiet, the dude has to be, because of his pacemaker:

“When the doctors put the defibrillator in me, it was for maintaining a normal heart rate. For most people this isn’t a problem, but it was for me.

“Once I get up onstage my heart rate sky-rockets. When I took the stage with Michael and got into it, I was suddenly hit in the chest by a shock and my vision flooded with electric blue light.

“This happened about four times during each song, and I had no idea what was going on.

“I thought I had a short-circuit in a guitar cable or a photographer’s flash had popped in my eyes.

“Each time it happened I had to stand there and make it look as if everything was normal. I saw it later on TV and you couldn’t tell, so I guess I pulled it off.

“It was extremely disconcerting until I figured out what was what.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/former-guns-n-roses-guitarist-241200

You can imagine that his heart rate could have easily skyrocketed during last nights show if he was not careful!

1 minute ago, hpantazo said:

For everyone saying Slash was too quiet, the dude has to be, because of his pacemaker:

“When the doctors put the defibrillator in me, it was for maintaining a normal heart rate. For most people this isn’t a problem, but it was for me.

“Once I get up onstage my heart rate sky-rockets. When I took the stage with Michael and got into it, I was suddenly hit in the chest by a shock and my vision flooded with electric blue light.

“This happened about four times during each song, and I had no idea what was going on.

“I thought I had a short-circuit in a guitar cable or a photographer’s flash had popped in my eyes.

“Each time it happened I had to stand there and make it look as if everything was normal. I saw it later on TV and you couldn’t tell, so I guess I pulled it off.

“It was extremely disconcerting until I figured out what was what.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/former-guns-n-roses-guitarist-241200

You can imagine that his heart rate could have easily skyrocketed during last nights show if he was not careful!

It is still in his heart but it is deactivated dude, he's talked about this several times

People need to look at footage of early VR shows especially the secret club show and compare it to late VR shows when he knew it wasnt gonna last. Slash went from grinning ear to ear, a kid on Xmas morning (see VH1 special) to just going through the motions as seen the other night. He even looks like he is having fun with Myles. Slash did NOT look like he was having fun.

Edited by Carne_asaDA

11 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

This is spot on imo and most likely closest to the truth.

You can read too much into anything. BUT! Slash looked pretty normal to me, in fact the whole band especially Axl looked like hey were having hey time of their lives (from the 5 mins of footage we have). Any full songs caught on camera yet? Jungle actually sounded alright! Axl was pretty on form. Paradise city seemed to be a little up and down though. Can't wait to hear a proper stream or hear it in person - Give us some Euro dates!

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, mashandflutter said:

I've been reading a lot of comments regarding Slash's demeanor and body language last night at the Troubadour. From what I've seen on Youtube it seems like people are thinking that Slash might have been upset or was perhaps more focused rather than loose.

Obviously, last night was a really emotional night for us fans, but I also think it was very emotionally charged for the band as well, particularly between Axl and Slash. 

The thing that I kept thinking about is Axl tried for nearly a quarter of a century to replace Slash in GnR, but simply couldn't, yet here we were with both of them on stage once again.  Clearly, Slash hasn't forgotten that which is why, by all accounts, he played his fucking ass off.

In watching the videos Slash had a laser-like focus that I haven't seen before (I just saw him at the Palladium last October and he was very loose). It's like he had a chip on his shoulder, that he wanted reassert himself after such a long absence. I read a review of last night's show where the reviewer said that when the band looked at each other to continue the song, Slash continued to solo a little longer. I couldn't help but remember when GnR recorded Sympathy For The Devil that in the final version of the song Axl wanted Paul Huge's lead parts included which Slash took as the ultimate sign of disrespect. I also remember reading in an interview a long time ago that 'Shotgun Blues' was the only solo Slash ever recorded with Axl in the room and that that was a very different vibe when he was recording it. There's always been a combustible element between them that has been both a blessing and a curse.       

I think as the tour rolls on the chemistry and dynamic between the two of the will get better onstage. Even though they have made up and agreed to do this tour (which is incredible) I think old emotions die hard which is what I think we witnessed a little last night.

His performance was really good and he looked fine. Maybe now he can focus because he's not as drunk and stoned as he used to be onstage back in the day. 

In some of the clips he didn't seem into it, but in others he was fine.

I think the occasion was really huge, and plus he's basically playing with a new band. It's been 20+ years since he was on stage with Axl, so it's not going to be like with Myles and the boys. Where there's that comfort and interaction, or how he has an understanding with Fitz.

I did notice that he rocked out with Duff a bunch of times. A lot of attention is on Axl and Slash, but it was great seeing Slash and Duff together as well. They have their own thing that is also cool. :headbang:

11 hours ago, 3rd Wheel said:

Wouldn't it be cool to see Axl and Slash sitting on stools playing an acoustic set together like Myles and Slash did?

That would be weird and awesome actually.

Ya, I don't believe there is any "ive got something to prove to Axl " going on either..if anything, I think it is the other way around! And if you think about it, after not speaking to someone for over 20 years, even if you reconcile and put to rest any animosity, it's going to take a little while to really warm up and get back into the ol' groove of things..for the record, I think Axl is trying really really hard, and we will see even more camaraderie in Vegas. And speaking of Duff, did you see how fricken happy he was out there!! My God. Makes me so stoked for Vegas..and I still have high hopes for Steven, as long as "back injury" isn't code for..I can't even say it..

5 minutes ago, jonah said:

probably was thinking "23 years and he still can't get on stage before midnight"

Haha....to be fair, the show was scheduled to start after 11. If anything, Slash may have been thrown off by how EARLY Axl showed. It fucked him all up.

I haven't read all the comments, but has anyone mentioned the fact Slash has a pacemaker? And while he can certainly perform with high energy, this show was an anomaly because of its significance, maybe he had to being conscious of himself. Then there is the more basic fact that it was his first guns n roses show in 23 years. Everyone on stage except for Melissa had played with Guns recently but Slash. He had to get into it.

14 hours ago, mashandflutter said:

I've been reading a lot of comments regarding Slash's demeanor and body language last night at the Troubadour. From what I've seen on Youtube it seems like people are thinking that Slash might have been upset or was perhaps more focused rather than loose.

Obviously, last night was a really emotional night for us fans, but I also think it was very emotionally charged for the band as well, particularly between Axl and Slash. 

The thing that I kept thinking about is Axl tried for nearly a quarter of a century to replace Slash in GnR, but simply couldn't, yet here we were with both of them on stage once again.  Clearly, Slash hasn't forgotten that which is why, by all accounts, he played his fucking ass off.

In watching the videos Slash had a laser-like focus that I haven't seen before (I just saw him at the Palladium last October and he was very loose). It's like he had a chip on his shoulder, that he wanted reassert himself after such a long absence. I read a review of last night's show where the reviewer said that when the band looked at each other to continue the song, Slash continued to solo a little longer. I couldn't help but remember when GnR recorded Sympathy For The Devil that in the final version of the song Axl wanted Paul Huge's lead parts included which Slash took as the ultimate sign of disrespect. I also remember reading in an interview a long time ago that 'Shotgun Blues' was the only solo Slash ever recorded with Axl in the room and that that was a very different vibe when he was recording it. There's always been a combustible element between them that has been both a blessing and a curse.       

I think as the tour rolls on the chemistry and dynamic between the two of the will get better onstage. Even though they have made up and agreed to do this tour (which is incredible) I think old emotions die hard which is what I think we witnessed a little last night.

I think you think too much. Good grief. Go for a walk...like outside....away from a keyboard 

14 hours ago, paranoyd androyd said:

my first thought last night before they hit the stage was that Slash appeared depressed in the backstage photos that leaked online. his face, posture, everything was sluggish and kinda hard a dark undertone IMO.

IF he's indeed currently depressed, there's two big factors that could be at work - first, his ongoing divorce process and second, his ongoing grief process about Lemmy's death (Slash has stated how deeply this is affecting him).

when you consider the above plus add in his likely apprehension/anxiety/fear (whatever you want to call it) about rejoining Axl, it wouldn't be a surprise to me that he's carrying a very heavy heart mixed with a lot of conflicting feelings about what he's decided to do (at least for now anyway).

i believe Slash will take things with this current incarnation of 'GNR' on a day-to-day basis where he won't be afraid to pull out if he feels it's in his best interest. 

Ohh for fuck sakes....what the fuck is wrong with your head?

With all due respect, I just plain have to lol at a lot of posts in this thread. There's simply NO way for any of us to be jumping to all of these conclusions based on the tiny amount of bad video clips available.

• Like 2