07/01/16 - Chicago, IL - Soldier Field

downzy

A friend of mine who is traveling from my hometown in Southern Europe to Chicago these days just came across this and sent me a picture! ??? 

I wish I could be there! ?

Everybody enjoy the two shows! 

image-0.02.01.6ee8450d0853c456877beec5dbd3e67b43ee1269c0f742205c839d98389568b8-V.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

I'm going to the concert tonight. It's been nearly 14 years since I last saw GNR when I saw them at the Allstate Arena in 2002. I was 18 and just out of high school at that time. Now I just turned 32 and I have to say I'm even more excited right now than I was for that show. Just because of Slash. Don't get me wrong when I saw them in 2002 they were great and I was a huge fan of Buckethead but Slash being back in the band is just amazing. And Axl at the time was weird. I hated his hair style back then and always wearing football jerseys on stage and he was out of shape. This is the best Axl has looked since 2006. I had tickets to GNR in 2006 but couldn't make it that night. Now 10 years later I'm finally seeing them again and I'm so excited.

And I was so excited when they announced that Alice in Chains would be the opening band. I've liked them since high school. I remember my senior year in high school after Layne Staley passed away my english teacher brought in his acoustic guitar and turned on "rooster" and played along on his guitar. This is a dream concert for me seeing two of my favorite bands. I've never seen Alice in Chains before

Hope ya have a good time mate! Looking forward to your review ?

Edited by Gibbo

4 minutes ago, JY2016 said:

It's 9:45am at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, 7 hours ahead of Chicago. Someone gave me AFD in September 1993 for my 15th birthday. Until that moment I preferred dance music over rock music. That changed that day...

Over the past 23 years, my hope to see Axl, Slash and Duff together again onstage was something that I still hoped for, but seemed to be less and less likely. Not that there haven't been sufficient GNR related events; my first concert was a Bon Jovi concert in 1995 because Slash's Snakepit was the support act, I have been to Slash's Blues Ball, VR, SMKC, Adler's Appetite and Gilby Clarke gigs. I have met Slash and Duff several times and Steven and Gilby as well. All really nice in person! I saw Axl/DC this summer. I am also a very proud owner of a black Epiphone Les Paul that Slash signed for me after an SMKC gig three years ago! So I consider myself a lucky guy to have experienced all these things...

I was doubting whether I should wait for Europe 2017, but last week I thought, fuck it and bought a last minute ticket to Chicago and single tickets for both shows!

My flight departs within less than three hours. It is gonna be a long day with 7 hours time difference, but I will not complain about that, set lists, small fuck-ups or musicians that are not there. Now 37, I feel as excited as if I were 15 again and I am going to enjoy Chicago every single minute, it's gonna be a blast!!!

See you all tonight!!!

That's fucking awesome. Enjoy yourself man!!!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JY2016 said:

It's 9:45am at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, 7 hours ahead of Chicago. Someone gave me AFD in September 1993 for my 15th birthday. Until that moment I preferred dance music over rock music. That changed that day...

Over the past 23 years, my hope to see Axl, Slash and Duff together again onstage was something that I still hoped for, but seemed to be less and less likely. Not that there haven't been sufficient GNR related events; my first concert was a Bon Jovi concert in 1995 because Slash's Snakepit was the support act, I have been to Slash's Blues Ball, VR, SMKC, Adler's Appetite and Gilby Clarke gigs. I have met Slash and Duff several times and Steven and Gilby as well. All really nice in person! I saw Axl/DC this summer. I am also a very proud owner of a black Epiphone Les Paul that Slash signed for me after an SMKC gig three years ago! So I consider myself a lucky guy to have experienced all these things...

I was doubting whether I should wait for Europe 2017, but last week I thought, fuck it and bought a last minute ticket to Chicago and single tickets for both shows!

My flight departs within less than three hours. It is gonna be a long day with 7 hours time difference, but I will not complain about that, set lists, small fuck-ups or musicians that are not there. Now 37, I feel as excited as if I were 15 again and I am going to enjoy Chicago every single minute, it's gonna be a blast!!!

See you all tonight!!!

Out of likes but I'm really happy for you! :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shjtjustgotreal said:

for the love of fucking God please please please just give us one last time of dis rasp and tempo TT___TT

That could never happen again. It is not the same person anymore. Not only is it not the same voice, but it is not the same attitude. You think the old Axl would have pussified KOHD? 

I don't know what happened to this guy between 1993 Argentina- 2000. The guy went from a badass to a huge dork. Is there another example in Rock N Roll of someone having such a  similar drastic transformation in such a short period of time?

44 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

That could never happen again. It is not the same person anymore. Not only is it not the same voice, but it is not the same attitude. You think the old Axl would have pussified KOHD? 

I don't know what happened to this guy between 1993 Argentina- 2000. The guy went from a badass to a huge dork. Is there another example in Rock N Roll of someone having such a  similar drastic transformation in such a short period of time?

not to derail the thread, but Eddie Vedder. 

In terms of badassness, his stage presence and craziness in 1992 was unprecedented. No one could touch him. He was on fire. 

the firing of Dave Abbruzzese and Eddies subsequent drinking turned this band upside down. And while he didnt "disappear" like Axl did for the time period, they really toned down their style and became more of a Neil Young/Grateful dead style jam band. 

While i don't think Eddie is "Pussifing" anything, you can tell by these videos its not the same gritty voice, and its definitely not the same attitude.

i think the major thing is getting old and not being able to put on the show you could when you were younger. Wether it be by choice, be it laziness or maturity, or by factors we cannot control: voice, etc etc. The fact is, we all grow up. 

Edited by KeyserSoze
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

not to derail the thread, but Eddie Vedder. 

In terms of badassness, his stage presence and craziness in 1992 was unprecedented. No one could touch him. He was on fire. 

the firing of Dave Abbruzzese and Eddies subsequent drinking turned this band upside down. And while he didnt "disappear" like Axl did for the time period, they really toned down their style and became more of a Neil Young/Grateful dead style jam band. 

While i don't think Eddie is "Pussifing" anything, you can tell by these videos its not the same gritty voice, and its definitely not the same attitude.

i think the major thing is getting old and not being able to put on the show you could when you were younger. Wether it be by choice, be it laziness or maturity, or by factors we cannot control: voice, etc etc. The fact is, we all grow up. 

Dave Abbruzzese = amazing drummer. Miss that guy in Pearl Jam

• Like 2

You guys just dont miss a chance to bitch axl?? 

Why are u so selfish??  It is necesary to ruin this great times for everybody here??  (Not me, it just makes me laugh )

Good thing that the other 99, 8 %  of the millions of gnr fans arent here, and most of them dont even know this forum exist.  Its a real shame that we have GUNS N FUCKIN ROSES TOURING, SLASH AND DUFF ARE BACK, PLUS THEYRE FRIENDS WITH AXL AGAIN, AND MR ROSE IS SINGING HIS ASS OFF AND HAVIN WONDERFULL PERFORMANCES,   and a couple of u just keep tryin to find a reason to complain or insult axl.

I guess thats what is wrong with society and DEMOCRACY, .. That your votes and mine are equaly counted.

Go f .ur svs

14 hours ago, axlslash said:

Frank is at the Double Door, he just checked in on Facebook. If any of you whiners and complainers have tempo issues you'd like to raise to his face instead of behind your internet anonymity, head on over :)

Lol

• Like 1

Getting ready to leave Iowa City for Chicago. I saw both of the Vegas shows so this will be the third show for me. Taking my wife this time. Staying right downtown. Can't wait! I bet something cool goes down tonight.....

6 minutes ago, halfday said:

Getting ready to leave Iowa City for Chicago. I saw both of the Vegas shows so this will be the third show for me. Taking my wife this time. Staying right downtown. Can't wait! I bet something cool goes down tonight.....

I was in vegas also. What hotel you staying at? Im at the Hyatt 2 blocks from soldier field.  I only hit 1st vegas show