The effect of recent RnR deaths on this reunion

Something I have thought about for a while - does anyone else think the recent passing of a number of high profile Rock N Roll artists has had, or is having an effect on this GnR regrouping?

What I mean is, take for example Slash - in a matter of months he has experienced the passing of several people who were a big part of his life - Bowie, Lemmy, his former frontman Scott Weiland..

I think that even if it's not the case that these events actually influenced the decision to re-group, they could very well solidify a feeling amongst the core 3 that life is too short to let past gripes getting in the way of getting together and creating the magic again, both for themselves and the fans. They need each other and we need them. Without wanting to sound morbid at all, I think the guys are realising the aspect of their own mortality; but out of that something positive is emerging and the vibe is good between the guys. Long live GnR!

I'd be shocked if it hasn't occurred to them, but it definitely didn't "bring on" the reunion. This has been planned for probably like a year now, but at least last summer before any of these happens. They've basically all happened SINCE the reunion has been announced, so yes I agree that now that they are finally back together, I'd be shocked if they haven't been like "boy, we're doing this at the right time. Look what just happened to Scott, Lemmy, etc.)". I'd be shocked that discussion hasn't come up, at the very least between Slash and Duff that we're lucky to be alive and the longer we wait the more unlikely this could be. I don't know if or how its affected this tour, but hopefully its given them even more of a reason to kick some ass. You think it would, but then again its not like it spurred them to get Izzy or Steven or Matt, etc. At least not yet. So personally I think its hard to say its impact, but I'm sure its not lost on them.

Yep.

Prior to the re-grouping, I often thought maybe the only thing that would get Axl and Slash in the same room would be someone's funeral, maybe even Adler's... but things are on the up anyway. 

Duff look so damn healthy these days? (if a little facially weathered, in the RnR tradition.) Of course he replaced the addictions with commitment to exercise etc... 

I wish Axl would take a leaf outta Steve Tyler's book on the keeping in shape front! But I'm not complaining. The guys look and sound great overall, I'm buzzing at the moment with all that's happening. :) 

All of them have been through a lot of deaths of loved ones by now, unfortunately...friends, colleagues, family. All of those may have helped them reshape their perspectives as time has gone on. It's that way with most people, probably. And 40s and 50s are times when a lot of people reassess what is important to them in life and which relationships they wish to foster.

IMHO, the only thing it may have influenced in terms of how the reunion is progressing, though, is the possibility of VR songs ever appearing in the set. I think the chance of that was close to nil to begin with, but the fact that Scott Weiland died very recently probably made it completely out of the question. Having Axl sing Scott's songs, with several of his former bandmates, so soon after Scott died might not have been taken well.

It's an interesting point. At first I thought, maybe they'll do Slither or something, as a tribute to Weiland.. but on reflection i don't think Axl would compromise himself to sing Scott's lyrics - especially as they are presumably about his own personal addictions and problems ("here comes the water, to wash away the sins" etc.) - So even though Slash has compromised by agreeing to play CD songs, I doubt Axl will reciprocate and agree to do VR stuff. - But if they did end up doing VR stuff, I don't think it would be an insult to Weiland at all, on the contrary I think it could be a fitting and emotional tribute.

37 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

It's an interesting point. At first I thought, maybe they'll do Slither or something, as a tribute to Weiland.. but on reflection i don't think Axl would compromise himself to sing Scott's lyrics - especially as they are presumably about his own personal addictions and problems ("here comes the water, to wash away the sins" etc.) - So even though Slash has compromised by agreeing to play CD songs, I doubt Axl will reciprocate and agree to do VR stuff. - But if they did end up doing VR stuff, I don't think it would be an insult to Weiland at all, on the contrary I think it could be a fitting and emotional tribute.

How do you know Slash "compromised by playing CD songs"?  Maybe he actually wanted to play them?

Further, they are actually Guns N Roses songs you know....

yeah he might have wanted to play them. Sure he's fine with it. I just mean that he is compromising by playing stuff he had no hand in writing. Whereas I don't think Axl would be as easy to convince to do Slash/VR songs.. especially as they aren't GnR songs, as you say. 

39 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

I think they did the CD songs because when you think about it, Axl, Frank, Dizzy, and Fortus are still there.  Duff already has experience playing those songs as well and it may just be a nice gesture on Slash's part to learn the songs.  According to a review he was rocking out hard during the chorus of Better which shows obviously that he digs the tunes

Slash and Duff are VR people yes but I just think it makes more sense to sneak in a couple of CD songs than it does a VR tune.  I would rather have another GNR classic in the set rather than that, personally

14 minutes ago, stella said:

I think the chance of that was close to nil to begin with, but the fact that Scott Weiland died very recently probably made it completely out of the question. Having Axl sing Scott's songs, with several of his former bandmates, so soon after Scott died might not have been taken well.

It would be a good gesture from Axl imo. Not just in terms of quelling the idea that he's not willing to be collaborative with Duff and Slash. But given that Axl and Scott had their altercation, this would be a nice tribute to Weiland and a chance to show there's no hard feelings. It would also put the gate saga to bed, another way to show Axl and Slash are over their issues.

It's nice that Duff, Axl and Slash have all reconciled, but Scott was someone who got caught in the middle of their drama, so in a way they owe him something imo.

Axl doesn't have to say anything, maybe Duff could introduce things. But a song would be nice.

1 minute ago, Nice Boy said:

yeah he might have wanted to play them. Sure he's fine with it. I just mean that he is compromising by playing stuff he had no hand in writing. Whereas I don't think Axl would be as easy to convince to do Slash/VR songs.. especially as they aren't GnR songs, as you say. 

Axl plays stuff he had no hand in writing all the time. He didn't write Heavens Door did he, do you think he's compromised himself?

No, doing cover tunes is a totally different thing to doing songs that were composed by a band that was sorta the other side of a divide at one point. Cover songs are neutral, whereas CD or VR songs have (or had) a partisan aspect to them. Hence why it's more of a controversial proposition for Axl to sing e.g. Slither than say, The Seeker.

From what has been said, this "Reunion" was in the works long before the Deaths of Bowie, Scott and Lemmy. 

What effect that has had on Axl, Duff and especially Slash, only they know. 

I dont forsee them playing any VR tunes, It would be cool, but at this point in time it seems unlikely. But who knows right? anything is possible