AFD Reissue, Will There Be One?

One of the big reasons i got super excited about the reunion is that now that slash and axl have reunited maybe now we'll get some amazing boxsets and reissued albums. It would be incredible if we can get a super deluxe edition of AFD with demos and live concert audio or footage, as  well as packaging the way led zep did and the way metallica is doing now. I think its time they emptied the vaults. I heard an interview where Niven said they filmed almost every show of UI

3 minutes ago, Ardt said:

One of the big reasons i got super excited about the reunion is that now that slash and axl have reunited maybe now we'll get some amazing boxsets and reissued albums. It would be incredible if we can get a super deluxe edition of AFD with demos and live concert audio or footage, as  well as packaging the way led zep did and the way metallica is doing now. I think its time they emptied the vaults. I heard an interview where Niven said they filmed almost every show of UI

I'd like to see them release all those shows, but only as a limited edition boxset here you have to buy the entire tour for a few grand...just to mess with people.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. Dude said:

I'd like to see them release all those shows, but only as a limited edition boxset here you have to buy the entire tour for a few grand...just to mess with people.

People will rip the content from the disc and put it on YouTube, torrents, etc.

12 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

People will rip the content from the disc and put it on YouTube, torrents, etc.

Each set could even include a legal affidavit hand-signed by Axl himself. Being involved in litigation with GNR is one of my childhood dreams.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

A reissue of AFD will only draw more attention to how integral Steven and Izzy were/are to the sound of GNR. 

Thats never going to change regardless of a reissue or not

one thing I hope they do is dedicate the entire gig, for that single album, with the original crew. then release it as a live album.

it's somewhat of a tradition now (for iconic/legendary albums):

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks Live at the Hollywood Bowl (2008)

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers Live (2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L082mdXDrUo

Edited by Colossus of Rhodes
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, nico_france said:

I don't see the point... perfect album, great sound and mix, no need to put demos or whatever... much more interesting would be to have a real live album from the classic ear, a la LED ZEP DVD BOX, and sure we want a new abum!!

I dont mean re-mastering that masterpiece. Im saying a nice in depth package with photos, notes, live stuff, video. Like the Led Zep releases 

I would take new music over remixes of 30 year old songs or a greatest hits album. I already own every official GnR release. I don't need to pay 15 bucks to get the "hits" on one single album. 

Gnr has such a small catalog, putting out old music is idiotic. 

• Like 1

As much as AFD is the definitive artistic statement of this band, I'd actually be more interested in a big UYI release.

instrumental tracks, demos, remixed remastered, untouched live tracks, the documentary....

AFD is perfect... UYI needs some love.

6 hours ago, Colossus of Rhodes said:

one thing I hope they do is dedicate the entire gig, for that single album, with the original crew. then release it as a live album.

Also Rush with Moving Pictures on the Time Machine Tour

21 hours ago, Colossus of Rhodes said:

I saw the Hollywood Bowl concert (there was also a Letters to Cleo reunion that night at the Roxy, I made it to both). The first set they left off the DVD was great, this DVD went out of print months after it came out because it was self-released. 

Bands and labels do reissues because it keeps money flowing in, and because they want better copies for sale on iTunes and Amazon, bands are remastering for 24 bit for download and Blu Ray audio and put the box sets out for the fans. There's nothing exciting about "remastered for iTunes" which is where the money is being made, but giving the fans a box set and including the downloads. 

23 hours ago, Mr. Dude said:

Then they can take legal action against those people and make it a proper GNR project.

others like me, prefer the physical versions. Will be great some deluxe editions, with live shows like marquee 87, ritz 87-88, tokyo 88.

17 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

That'd be awesome but I'd rather have a gig dedicated to UYI and CD.

The reason Van Morrison gig is so good is that it doesn't sound exactly like it does on the album. There's a whole band behind him. I'm not sure you can have nice strings to 12 songs about getting drunk and crushing pussy. 

It ain't unplugged. This is acoustic and semi-orchestrated because the original album is acoustic and semi-orchestrated. Even the original guitar player, who did phenomenal job on the album plays here (Van's Slash).

So AFD would be in the same vain as the original, yet at the same time not the exact replica, that's the attraction.

UYI why not!

As for the CD, like it or not, doesn't qualify as a milestone/iconic album.
Maybe can be replayed live for entirely different reason: As Axl's input is phenomenal (vocals, lyrics), and music/instrumentals/production not on the same level by a huge margin,
with improved instrumentals, arrangements, production, intros, outros, they could make another iconic GnR album out of it.
In effect they are already doing it (CD, Better played in Troubadour), whilst it probably won't ever be released as a singular live album.

On 4/5/2016 at 3:45 PM, dalsh327 said:

I saw the Hollywood Bowl concert (there was also a Letters to Cleo reunion that night at the Roxy, I made it to both). The first set they left off the DVD was great, this DVD went out of print months after it came out because it was self-released. 

Bands and labels do reissues because it keeps money flowing in, and because they want better copies for sale on iTunes and Amazon, bands are remastering for 24 bit for download and Blu Ray audio and put the box sets out for the fans. There's nothing exciting about "remastered for iTunes" which is where the money is being made, but giving the fans a box set and including the downloads. 

Right! Well, I would choose this over yet another hq re-issue anytime.

As for Van, this type of arrangement he kind of lost over time. Van performed all those numbers with solo guitar, fully orchestrated (
that squeaky clean and extremely polished period with shitload of instruments, strings, horns and whatnot), in rock-settings and so on.
Never quite as good (as the original album and this).

Edited by Colossus of Rhodes

A GNR Box set Deluxe Edition would be perfect. Documentary with interview and unseen footage of a few shows. Just like the Pearl Jam "PJ20". Remastered ADF, unreleased songs and full Troubadour shows 1986 and 2016. One can dream