Got screwed over by the job you love

Iron MikeyJ

I need some advice here everyone.... Let me start by saying I love this job, it is far and away my favorite job I have ever had. Its working for a school system, so it's holidays, weekends, and summers off. That's really hard to beat imo. Well.... Basically I just found out today that I got passed over for 2 promotions that I put in for. Which wouldn't be that big of a deal, except that one of the people that got a promotion was hired AFTER me. Which according to EVERY co-worker I have talked to, promotions always go to whomever has been there the longest. So basically, I got screwed out of 1 of those promotions. Which not only was it a raise, but it was benifits for me and my entire family. So that's a pretty big deal. 

To be honest, I've really been thinking about saying fuck it and quitting. Which would be easy except, I really do like the job. I just HATE the office politics. Obviously all jobs have their down side, but typically jobs like this are all pretty fair. Thats what I don't understand, why did I get screwed over. I plan on talking to the boss about it when we go back to work on Monday (we are on spring break). I have talked to the person that got me job there, and she was shocked. This is literally like the first time this has ever happened that she knows of. 

Do I quit a job that I really love, because of politics? But then again, it'll be hard for me to pretend that I'm not really pissed off. Idk? This has never happend to me before. It feels like finding out that someone you love has just cheated on you. Only to say "I'm not sorry I cheated, and I might cheat again, but I still want to see you too." 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

On the basis of what explanation your boss gives next week I would perhaps start looking for other jobs that have similar benefits. It sucks to be passed over but I think unemployment sucks worse so personally I wouldn't quit without something else to go to.

Hope you get it resolved soon.

Nah man, why you wanna quit for, it's still a job you like.  So you got passed over for a promotion, OK, things happen and yeah there's office politics but see the thing with that is it's only like, relevant if you let it bother you.  Everywhere I've ever worked has those kinda things going on but if you don't give a fuck then it ain't a thing.  I realise the politics in this instance have been kinda thrust upon you but look, you ain't starving to death right?  You're still there and still earning a living, why would you want to quit?  Make a point of it though, don't be emotional or abrupt or demanding about it but go OK, i was led to believe such and such was the case but 'x' has happened, is there any reason etc?  Y'know, clear the air, see what it's about and then move from there, you don't just wanna quit now, sight unseen, how do you know they ain't holding onto you for another better position thats gonna be freed up in the next 6 months, y'know what i mean?  Not saying that is the case, just extemporising to illustrate that, OK, this thing has happened but as of this moment you're only presuming that you've been fucked over, could be any number of reasons.  I don't see any decent reason for you to throw your job away over it, how many people apply for a single position, 5, 10, 15?  Out of them only one of thems gonna get it right, that ain't cause for the other however many to go home and shoot their dog over it or some shit.

Stick to it, do your shift to the best of your ability and see what pans out for ya, especially being as how you're a family man, you don't wannabe throwing employment away, especially being as how you're from Michigan and I'm led to believe jobs are kinda scarce out there, you don't wannabe throwing shit away like that right?

Either way i hope it works out for ya boss ;)

• Like 2

If i was you i would ask for a meeting with the supervisor/manager and ask the reasons why you got passed over for the promotions. Ask what areas were you lacking in against what he was looking for in the successful candidate. It's very unlikely that they just do it on length of time someones been there, that would be a new one on me. Then if you don't like the answer he gives you can do one.

• Like 2

Well the thing is, once you get THIS promotion, you automatically get the option to pick what you want in the future. So basically what I'm saying is that, if they were planning on giving me the next one, the person that got this one, can jump on that one and they HAVE to give it to them. I know it's weird, but it's how it works. That's why them giving this promotion to her over me, is a HUGE deal. Once you get this promotion, everything afterwards is based on seniority. And you don't officially get seniority until you get this promotion. 

But what makes it even worse is that they don't post any more available positions after April 1st. So I will have to ride out the rest of this school year, and hope for a better result next year. Which I'm probably going to stick it out, I like the job to much. But it was a major screw job they did for sure. We don't have a union, but we do have a "committee" and I will be discusing this with them as well. I just don't really feel it's going to do much good, because it's so late in the school year.

Her? Oh hell no!

possibly though the other person isn't as happy with the job. So said promote me or I quit. So they promoted her to keep her, but you love the job so they figure you will stay anyway. 

If you think they would say ok quit then you have to consider she gives good mouth love. 

• Like 1

I'd want the person who hired you to find out what happened. Sometimes it comes out when negotiating a pay raise. If they can't find out, I'd create a fake LinkedIn to see if there's anything the person who passed you in promotion had something that you didn't. 

The person that hired me, is the one that gave the other person the promotion. 

See what happened is their were two positions available at the same time. (well technically the first one closed before the 2nd one did.) I applied for both, but the 2nd one was the better of the two options. From my understanding, the plan was supposed to be that I get the 2nd one, that's why they gave the first one to the girl. Which was still a little shady, because then she would get seniority over me, even though I got hired first. But I could roll with that, if I got the 2nd, and better position. But then, someone above me put in for that position, so they had to give it to them. Which means they should have given me the first one, like they were supposed to Do. 

Technically speaking, their is still ONE position available, and it would be a good one to get. But the problem is that it's after April 1st. Which means, they could have me work it, and NOT give me benefits now. Plus even if they DO decide to be nice and post it, the girl that got my original spot could try to get this one as well (because it is better than the one she has). Since she has seniority now, she would probably get it over me. So again, I would still be screwed. 

Besides I can't really see them trying to do the right thing and helping me out here. They know they screwed me, but I don't think they care. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

11 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

except that one of the people that got a promotion was hired AFTER me. Which according to EVERY co-worker I have talked to, promotions always go to whomever has been there the longest. So basically, I got screwed out of 1 of those promotions.

Was this person more qualified for the job? Seniority is not everything... not sure what the job was... but lets just say you work at a hotel, and you're both front desk agents. You've worked there for 5 years, previously worked at a warehouse. This person has worked there for a year.

but they moved to town because their spouse is going to school in the area, relocation, they previously worked for 6 years as supervisor of the front desk team at an upscale resort hotel & spa.

A supervisor position opens up - who gets it? The person with seniority, or the person with experience?

----

I sympathize with you dude, we're sympathizing here, i've also been in a position where i felt i 'got screwed over' - with time and experience, i see i was not screwed over, and what happened was a very rational decision.

But at the time? They were the devil, and i was entirely wronged.

In my limited experience these political appointments like we want a girl or she has good connections don't always work out. So class it out. I understand, these things happen kind of retoric. In a year she'll probably be gone. Put it to one side. If next year they pass you over again then you have to ask some questions. If you bring it up now it can be turned back on you like sense of entitlement, trouble maker. 

Personally I'd try to nail her and look for another job. Perfect scenario is she pregnant and you leaving for another job. But that is horrible advice. 

• Like 1

Job structures that are based off of seniority are the worst. I work in a place where seniority is the only thing that matters. Merit factors in 0%. There are a lot of people who have been there 5 minutes that do a better job than the people who have been there 20 years. 

But if you do have such a job, which really is based only off seniority, and there are no other factors or circumstances that you are not privy to, then it sounds like you do have a legitimate grievance and you should look into it. But if you like this job a lot, that should mean a lot, so don't make rash decisions, and certainly don't quit before having something else lined up, as others have said. Not in this job economy. 

• Like 1

This job is 100% seniority based. One person could have a GED and the other person could have a PHD and it wouldn't matter one bit. Whomever has been there longer gets promoted first. That's why I am upset. In all honesty, I have MORE experience in this field than the girl did, not to mention I have a college degree, and I doubt she does. It was a gamble that my boss took with my position, and it didn't work out like it was suppose to. Which really sucks. I am hoping that my boss will have some sort of solution on Monday, but I'm not real hopeful for it. I will discuss it with our "committee" though. 

Their are 3 different tiers; full time, part time, and subs. Which it doesn't really have much to do with the amount of hours you work, but more to do with pay and benefits. Right now I am considered a sub, which means no benefits and no official seniority. 

The first promotion (that the girl hired after me got), was to become part time. The 2nd postion which was supposed to go to me, was for full time (which would give benefits to my whole family. Part time benefits are only for 1 person, not the whole family). Which someone above me, (probably only considered part time) jumped on the full time one, which I can't blame them for that. But again, that means the original part time position should have gone to me.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Obviously you should just go ask why you didn't get the promotion.  Once you hear the reason - then decide if you want to stick it out or find a new job. 

When I worked, at my last job I was the intermediate between management and staff. 

No exaggeration, at least 90% of the time a promotion was given, the person who didn't get the job would complain about being screwed over, how they were a better worker (their friends told them so) and how it was all political. Was it? Sure. But very infrequently. Rarely.

Not saying this is you. But just adding some insight from another perspective.

Managers and supervisors want their staff to be the best possible staff they can be. If they continually hire unqualified people - eventually the poor work performance catches up, everybody notices. And the manager eventually gets in trouble or fired.

Managers want the "best" staff in terms of work produced. That makes them look good. And they also typically want somebody who is a good team player or that will fit in well. If u have two equally qualified workers and one is nice and one is a jerk - guess who is going to get the job. 

Like I said  it does happen. And everybody will have a story where they feel they were screwed over by politics. But the overwhelming majority of the time, people hire or promote the person they think will do the best job.

It would be career suicide for a manager to continually hire and promote people that weren't the most qualified.

Think of it like a coach in basketball. Do you pick Lebron James or JR Smith to be on your team? You pick the person you think will do the best job. Because your job depends on how well Lebron or JR does. Picking a couple JR's and you will get fired.

On a side note, the one time I got passed over for a promotion and thought it was unfair, I spent a couple months researching and figuring out what my dream job would be with the company. Then I created a job description. And a detailed  explanation about why and how much the position would benefit the company. How the position would be funded and how much money it would create for fhe company. 

I didn't wait around for a promotion and didn't want to depend on other people. So I created my own promotion. 

Talk to the hiring people and then go from there. Good luck.

• Like 1