Dave Grohl and Axl Rose

20 minutes ago, action said:

can't help but seeing the symbolism in this gesture.

up until now, foo fighters were more or less considered one of the last "vintage" rock bands with an attitude. i got that vibe reading some of the comments on Dave's leg injury during a concert, and the media jumped on this and lauded this for it's "vintage rock attitude" you didnt see in rock music anymore. nothing could be farther from the truth of course, but that's what some media would want you to believe. Dave was a great drummer in Nirvana but his subsequent adventures left me indifferent. generic rock it was, interchangeable with so many other bands.

and Dave only managed a couple of songs before giving up, while Axl carried on performing a whole concert doing snake dances and other shit.

Axl "ain't got no time to bleed"

now that the real GNR is back, they have claimed their throne back so to speak. 

He broke his leg and finished concert after getting back from hospital. How many times did you see that in last 10 years (or ever)? 

51 minutes ago, action said:

can't help but seeing the symbolism in this gesture.

up until now, foo fighters were more or less considered one of the last "vintage" rock bands with an attitude. i got that vibe reading some of the comments on Dave's leg injury during a concert, and the media jumped on this and lauded this for it's "vintage rock attitude" you didnt see in rock music anymore. nothing could be farther from the truth of course, but that's what some media would want you to believe. Dave was a great drummer in Nirvana but his subsequent adventures left me indifferent. generic rock it was, interchangeable with so many other bands.

and Dave only managed a couple of songs before giving up, while Axl carried on performing a whole concert doing snake dances and other shit.

Axl "ain't got no time to bleed"

now that the real GNR is back, they have claimed their throne back so to speak. 

A broken leg is much different than a break in your foot.

51 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

He broke his leg and finished concert after getting back from hospital. How many times did you see that in last 10 years (or ever)? 

that was great of Dave, but compared to Axl who went on with the tour, Dave canceled 5 subsequent shows. It takes someone like Axl Rose to say "fuck that, i'm doing a whole TOUR in a chair if it needs to".

it was cool that Dave went on with his one show, but Axl's effort will truly become the stuff of legend. i can see this event mentioned in rock history next to jimi's buring guitar or morrisson's arrest on stage. Dave missed that opportunity when he canceled 5 shows. and that, my friends, separates the "generic rock artists" from the "legends".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

Of course you do. You're a U2 fan. :lol:

Only a clown would argue they don't. My guess is you've never seen them(foof ighters). Their shows rock and while we're at it U2 put on kick ass shows too. Nice to see you take the lazey douchebag approach that so many others have by bringing up a band that has nothing to do with the conversation. You clowns that mock U2 at this point look so stupid. 

3 minutes ago, action said:

that was great of Dave, but compared to Axl who went on with the tour, Dave canceled 5 subsequent shows. It takes someone like Axl Rose to say "fuck that, i'm doing a whole TOUR in a chair if it needs to".

it was cool that Dave went on with his one show, but Axl's effort will truly become the stuff of legend. i can see this event mentioned in rock history next to jimi's buring guitar or morrisson's arrest on stage. Dave missed that opportunity when he canceled 5 shows. and that, my friends, separates the "generic rock artists" from the "legends".

:lol: 

From his letter: "...the doctors have told us to cancel shows...". As soon as he was able to do shows he did them in the same throne used by Axl. 

If GnRhad shows, let's say, a day and 3 days after breaking his leg Axl would have to cancel them and it's wouldn't be up to him. It's been a week since his accident. It's not that heroic. Of course it's great and he had every right to cancel those shows, but he didn't and I'm giving props to him for that. He was amazing last night. 

It won't be mentioned in rock history I'm 100% sure. Actually if something is going to be mentioned it would be Dave's throne and just because it's really a cool thing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bono said:

Axl Rose was clearly able to walk after his broken foot as we all saw picturs of him out and about without crutches and stuff. Also Axl had the throne ready made. Dave did not and Dave Grohl broke his leg not his foot. Also Dave Grohl finished the fucking show in which he broke his leg. The fact you're saying Axl's fortitude is above and beyond Dave's in this case is laughable and so typical of Axl Rose fans. You can't just credit Axl, you need to try and discredit someone else to prop Axl up. Such Axlite bullshit. 

clown, Axlite... quite the vocabulary you have there ;)

didn't mean to discredit Dave in order to "credit Axl" (like i said: it was cool of Dave to finish the show; how is that discrediting?).

i'm sure Axl doesnt need Dave to become a legend, he will take care of that all by himself. 

1 minute ago, action said:

clown, Axlite... quite the vocabulary you have there ;)

didn't mean to discredit Dave in order to "credit Axl" (like i said: it was cool of Dave to finish the show; how is that discrediting?).

i'm sure Axl doesnt need Dave to become a legend, he will take care of that all by himself. 

"Generic rock artist" 

Screen_Shot_2015_06_13_at_8_37_41_PM.png

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, action said:

Well, the thing is Grohl wanted to play those shows that had to be canceled and I don't blame him to want to play those shows, no matter what.  It's included two shows at Wembley Stadium, a headlining spot at the Glastonbury festival and Pinkpop festival.  A lot of big money and big crowds to be made there and to cancel it had to be heart-breaking to him.  But, he heed the doctors' words and decided to rest on it.  Heck, it was to be considered that they almost canceled their summer US tour due to the injury, but the throne was made and everyone got to see those shows, myself included at the Forum in LA, and Foo Fighters put a good show.  Probably the best show I have ever saw and I have seen Slash/Myles/Conspirators and Alter Bridge and as much as I am a huge fan of Myles Kennedy and his work with those bands (especially Alter Bridge) and enjoyed those shows, Foo Fighters just put the better and longer show.  No questions asked, sadly.

Edited by Anguyen92

52 minutes ago, action said:

Dave broke his LEG.  He finished the concert on the night of the injury after going to the hospital.  Then he took a few weeks off in June (missed the end of their European leg), and proceeded to have the throne built and continued to tour the entire US, Europe, and Asia from July to November, most of which with his leg in a cast or a boot.

Axl broke a small bone in his foot.  It's, thankfully, a much much less serious injury.  It's great that he still did the shows, but you can't compare the two situations all that much and Axl should be good to go by the time the summer tour gets going.  Again, thankfully.

Edited by davhern

5 minutes ago, davhern said:

Dave broke his LEG.  He finished the concert on the night of the injury after going to the hospital.  Then he took a few weeks off in June (missed the end of their European leg), and proceeded to have the throne built and continued to tour the entire US, Europe, and Asia from July to November, most of which with his leg in a cast or a boot.

Axl broke a small bone in his foot.  It's, thankfully, a much much less serious injury.  It's great that he still did the shows, but you can't compare the two situations all that much and Axl should be good to go by the time the summer tour gets going.  Again, thankfully.

fair enough ;)

i'm not debating which injury is worse or not. no discredit was given in this thread. Dave was great for dusting off his throne and handing it to Axl. and on that note, i'm off for the night. 

Edited by action

I thought it was an amazing gesture and is cool that axl and dave have buried the hatchet.

If your have followed the story about Dave Grohl and GNR you know Dave mocked several times about GNR, then Slash and Grohl started talking because their children go to the same school and after that Slash, Grohl and Duff recorded Watch this for slash solo album. Then we have slash playing with FF and Slash and Duff interviewed for the LA sonic highways episode by Grohl. And yesterday Axl thanked Grohl twice because of the throne, so to me is pretty cool.

Besides, I have to say that after GNR, Foo Fighters is my favourite band, so a tour together would be rad!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bono said:

Only a clown would argue they don't. My guess is you've never seen them(foof ighters). Their shows rock and while we're at it U2 put on kick ass shows too. Nice to see you take the lazey douchebag approach that so many others have by bringing up a band that has nothing to do with the conversation. You clowns that mock U2 at this point look so stupid. 

Off topic but saw U2 earlier this year and it was the best gig I've seen.

And a lot better than Vegas last night.

I bet in exchange for Grohl lending Axl the throne, he gets to do a guest spot on ChiDem 2 :P

Foo Fighters are one of the defining bands in buttrock, but their significance in modern rock is undeniable