Dave Grohl and Axl Rose

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

He's a monster drummer but I don't think Foo Fighters are a great band even objectively. Music is okay I just don't identify with Dave or the lyrics. The average guy just never appeals to me because I'm average, I want to see a meglomaniac asshole stick it to the man. Or at least bring some fiah. I don't need a sound track to my mediocrity. I want the devil to be raised and burned. Angel Dust, In Utero, CD, Holy Bible, Sonic Temple, Rust In Peace!

That's exactly what my problem with them has been. Dave has written some really good rock songs and I can enjoy them just fine, but he lacks that touch of insanity or genius if you will, like for example Kurt Cobain had, and of course people like Axl.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wasted said:

He's a monster drummer but I don't think Foo Fighters are a great band even objectively. Music is okay I just don't identify with Dave or the lyrics. The average guy just never appeals to me because I'm average, I want to see a meglomaniac asshole stick it to the man. Or at least bring some fiah. I don't need a sound track to my mediocrity. I want the devil to be raised and burned. Angel Dust, In Utero, CD, Holy Bible, Sonic Temple, Rust In Peace!

Maybe I'm not objetive, but look the evolution of FF sound during this 20 years. He might not be one of the best guitar players, but he's for sure a hell of musician.

1 hour ago, mikebones said:

Maybe I'm not objetive, but look the evolution of FF sound during this 20 years. He might not be one of the best guitar players, but he's for sure a hell of musician.

That's one of the things I don't like about the Foo Fighters... they haven't evolved much. Compare one of their 90's records to their latest records Wasting Light or Sonic Highways... it's good, but it sounds almost the same. There's nothing wrong with not evolving and making the same kind of records all the time, but I like to see a band that has been going for so long to experiment more and not stick to the same sound and formula on every album.

Edited by EvanG

24 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That's one of the things I don't like about the Foo Fighters... they haven't evolved much. Compare one of their 90's records to their latest records Wasting Light or Sonic Highways... it's good, but it sounds almost the same. There's nothing wrong with not evolving and making the same kind of records all the time, but I like to see a band that has been going for so long to experiment more and not stick to the same sound and formula on every album.

wow, you really think that FF first record sounds the same as Wasting Lights? Or Echoes, silence...? If so, I strongly recommend you to listen the FF again.

Edited by mikebones
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mikebones said:

wow, you really think that FF first record sounds the same as Wasting Lights? Or Echoes, silence...? If so, I strongly recommend you to listen the FF again.

Echoes, Silence was the only album where I felt they tried to explore a different thing a little bit for the first time and I was hoping they continued that direction, but then they followed up with Wasting Lights which could have been a 90's FF record. It's a great album, but nothing new. And yes, the first FF album sounds not very different from, let's say Wasting Light. Of course the musicianship is different because he played all the instruments on the first album and now they are a tight band, but the music itself isn't really different.

It's the same genre, style, formula... Look at other bands that have been around for so long... they really experimented and tried different things... Foo Fighters started experimenting with how to make a record, different studio approaches and gimmicks like that, but the music has always been more or less the same. Listen to bands like The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, or whatever, they really tried something else and evolved... you can't say that about the music in the Foo Fighters. I'm not saying they suck, I like them, but they haven't exactly evolved musically much over the years. And that's ok, they don't have to, I personally would have liked to see that, but I guess that's just not their thing as a band. Oh well.

Edited by EvanG

9 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Echoes, Silence was the only album where I felt they tried to explore a different thing a little bit for the first time and I was hoping they continued that direction, but then they followed up with Wasting Lights which could have been a 90's FF record. It's a great album, but nothing new. And yes, the first FF album sounds not very different from, let's say Wasting Light. Of course the musicianship is different because he played all the instruments on the first album and now they are a tight band, but the music itself isn't really different.

It's the same genre, style, formula... Look at other bands that have been around for so long... they really experimented and tried different things... Foo Fighters started experimenting with how to make a record, different studio approaches and gimmicks like that, but the music has always been more or less the same. Listen to bands like The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, or whatever, they really tried something else and evolved... you can't say that about the music in the Foo Fighters. I'm not saying they suck, I like them, but they haven't exactly evolved musically much over the years. And that's ok, they don't have to, I personally would have liked to see that, but I guess that's just not their thing as a band. Oh well.

I know that you weren't saying they suck. You can't compare Radiohead with FF, IMO. Foo Fighters is a rock band, radiohead is not. I think that their records have evolved, of course is still rock and some of the songs might be similar but I think there's an evolution in each one of them. Take the las record for example, it has nothing to do with wasting lights or Echoes.

Just now, mikebones said:

I know that you weren't saying they suck. You can't compare Radiohead with FF, IMO. Foo Fighters is a rock band, radiohead is not. I think that their records have evolved, of course is still rock and some of the songs might be similar but I think there's an evolution in each one of them. Take the las record for example, it has nothing to do with wasting lights or Echoes.

I'm speaking purely from a music point of view. Production wise things changed obviously... the first FF record was a demo, recorded by himself and playing all the instruments... now he's got really great musicians and producers around him.

What do you hear when you listen to the first FF album? Loud rock, big ass drums, poppy melodies, and some screams here and there.

What do you hear when you listen to Wasting Lights? Loud rock, big ass drums, poppy melodies, and some screams here and there.

Music wise they kept doing the same things more or less.

I'm not comparing Radiohead with the FF, it was just an example of a band that doesn't want to repeat itself on every record and tries to experiment with different styles and genres. Besides, early/mid 90's Radiohead was definitely rock. Foo Fighters never made big changes in their music and that's what I mean when I say that they haven't evolved a lot musically. That's no criticism, it's just an observation. They kept playing the same style all those years, maybe mixed it up with an acoustic guitar here or there, but they always kept their original sound. Most bands that have been around for over twenty years have changed their sound and experimented a lot more. And I wouldn't mind seeing the Foo Fighters do that more, but I think they just aren't that kind of band.

FF and now GnR are one of the few bands out there keeping real authentic R&R alive.

One of the things that's not touched on much is Axl wearing the black Nirvana Tshirt at the first T Mobile show. That's a BIG DEAL!
Patching things up with the Dave (aka, the Nirvana camp) is a really amazing considering how much they we're adversaries back in the day. That and Duff's Seattle connection (shared last flight with Kurt) and VR playing Nirvana songs, as well.

Axl is in full redemption mode right now, only thing left to do with all that new found energy is to continue to make great music. I'm hardly getting any work done re-watchinh the T-Mobile youtube vids :headbang:

Edited by passenger57

I'm pretty sure Grohl had respect for GNR's music even back in the day, being a big Motorhead,Thin Lizzy,AC/DC fan there would of been elements of their music he liked but probably had to keep that on the low in the "alternative" scene. Are guns bringing out Novoselic to play SCOM on the accordion on this tour?

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 5:30 AM, Bono said:

:lol::lol::lol: 

Only in the delusional land of GnR fans would someone even remotely begin to think that Dave's motivation for being cool with Axl was because he realized GnR were now going to be huge again and he better get on Axl's good side. I sometimes think some of you are on steady diet of heroin, crack and meth. I mean how else do you explain that kind of thinking?

hhahahah or maybe some are better at reading social cues than others ;)

Daves has a very calculated "nice guy image" but can be very two faced.

He ripped on GNR and Axl, The Cult, Sebastian, Nuno - Extreme etc but is very quick to turn around when confronted (ex when Billy Duffy ran into him on a plane, running into Nuno at some awards etc)

Watch the Lemmy documentary how he carries on with the band the Darkness...... He tries to cling to the icons like Lemmy, Page/Plant etc very closely.

And don't knock those drugs the greatest rock album of all time got made on them ;)

Edited by axlsnutsack

Just now, axlsnutsack said:

hhahahah or maybe some are better at reading social cues than others ;)

Daves has a very calculated "nice guy image" but can be very two faced.

He ripped on GNR and Axl, The Cult, Sebastian, Nuno - Extreme etc but is very quick to turn around when confronted (ex when Billy Duffy ran into him on a plane, running into Nuno at some awards etc)

Watch the Lemmy documentary how he carries on with the band the Darkness...... He tries to cling to the icons like Lemmy, Page/Plant etc very closely.

And don't knock those drugs the great rock album of all time got made on them ;)

WOW! Just WOW.  People like you actually exist.  I'll stand by what I said and I'll assume you're not only Axlsnutsack but Axls nut swinger as well. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 1:25 PM, Lies They Tell said:

That's what I've been wondering too. My initial thought was that Dave Grohl realized that GNR will become fucking huge now that Slash and Duff are back, so he decided that it's better not to be on Axl's wrong side anymore.

But I'm probably too cynical. Perhaps they've been on good terms longer than I even know. In fact I don't recall that Axl would ever have said bad things about Dave Grohl. Dave on the other hand... Well let's not go there.

Do your own research amigo its all out there

I don't think he is doing it cause  "Dave's motivation for being cool with Axl was because he realized GnR were now going to be huge again and he better get on Axl's good side"

But he switches sides very quickly