Slash's take on CD songs

I think it's good that they are doing CD songs, and it will be interesting to see how many others they will do over time.

What are peoples thoughts on what has happened so far with the new interpretations of the songs.

Chinese Democracy the song is pretty much the 2001 live version with Slash adding some suitable licks in the mini solo. I don't think there's anyway to polish this one without extending it to a WTTJ beast.

I'm liking the new Better intro, but I kinda wish that they don't stop to start Better, kinda keep going with the chugging but make it sound like the Better intro chords. I'm not sold on the new solo for this one, it seems a bit flat. I'd hope Slash could tinker with it and add some pieces of the album version solo, or just do that solo, it suits the song.

I like the solo Slash has put to This I Love, but I thought Fincks solo was a pretty darn good one too, and totally fits the song - ah conundrum. My idea would be to have Slash's TIL solo as an intro, and then do the Finck solo with minor Slash tinkering. 

Thoughts..

• Like 1

Chi Dem mini solo - great

Better solo - Not good, second was a bit better, but I still prever the album version

This I Love - Nice start, I agree that the original solo was cool anyway. Slash could improve this by noodling less and getting in some more epic bends. 

His rhythm playing in the songs sounds fine. His distortion sounds so much nicer than DJ'should nu-metal sludge-fizz. But I suppose that is a given.....

• Like 1

I really hope we'll get to hear his take on TWAT. 

CD was ok, Better's first solo was almost non-existing and TIL was too much noodling indeed, though it did become stronger during the chorus.

I do miss BBF in the CD solos department. He could deliver the studio version with every little nuance and then some.

• Like 4

I got the impression that Slash freestyled This I Love's solo instead of playing something memorized

Better was definitely..better  :awesomeface: I like his take over Finck's

ChiDem also felt freestyled, but it made some sense

Slash should avoid TWAT's solo at all costs if we want to keep some of its integrity

What we've heard is more raw and rock&roll, I personally like it better. But I understand people who want to hear them played as original, I'm the same if it comes to AFD/UYI stuff. Really hate Finck/Buckethead/Bumblefoot/Fortus/Ashba take.

• Like 2

I feel the same way about them as I do Buckethead's take on the Nightrain and November Rain solos; they're cool but for the most part I'll be listening to the originals for years to come.

The Better intro was pretty neat, but the solo seemed really flat in comparison to Finck's.

The TIL solo sounded like Santana to me, was great to hear, but Finck's ear-piercing (in a good way) solo for that will always be one of the best solos of all time for me, damn shame the man never got to play it live.

Regardless, I'm glad Slash is adding his own take to these songs and look forward to hearing his take on other tracks like TWAT. It's also been great hearing some new improvisations on his own material in places on SCOM and Nightrain.

• Like 2

Not a fan for the most part. 

CD was the best of the bunch IMO. I didn't like how Slash kept going with the main riff under the verse, I thought it all sounded too similar - would've preferred Fortus doing BBF's riffing, or just the synths like in 2001. Otherwise no complaints here though, Slash's solo was fine, and the intro sounded fucking mean with him on that riff. Probably the heaviest version of CD yet.

TIL did absolutely nothing for me, I thought Slash's solo was awful. It was like one long run-on thought, it had no direction and was just pure noodling. I'll give him a few shows to try and come up with his own take on it, but so far I'm not impressed. Bring on the flamers, but I thought it was almost as bad as one of the better Ashba TIL solos.

Better was...eh. Again, nothing but noodling on the outro solo, not a fan when Robin essentially wrote the perfect solo for it. I didn't like the new intro either, I always dug that poppy vibe of the original intro. Other than those two complaints I thought it was okay though. 

3 minutes ago, Amir said:

I feel the same way about them as I do Buckethead's take on the Nightrain and November Rain solos; they're cool but for the most part I'll be listening to the originals for years to come.

The Better intro was pretty neat, but the solo seemed really flat in comparison to Finck's.

The TIL solo sounded like Santana to me, was great to hear, but Finck's ear-piercing (in a good way) solo for that will always be one of the best solos of all time for me, damn shame the man never got to play it live.

Regardless, I'm glad Slash is adding his own take to these songs and look forward to hearing his take on other tracks like TWAT. It's also been great hearing some new improvisations on his own material in places on SCOM and Nightrain.

100% agree there. The short leads on SCOM sounded fresher than they have in years, from either GN'R or the Conspirators. 

I'm still in awe of Slash playing Chinese Democracy material.

Robin's Better & This I Love have been embedded in my mind for years, they are his highlights from the album imo.

This will take some getting used to.

Having said that I prefer Buckethead's Nightrain (especially Boston 2002).

Listening back to the video of TIL posted, it sounds even better than when I heard it on the live stream.  I think it fits perfectly!!  Like seriously it has it all, high note bends, great note choices, bluesy runs, to me it fit perfectly

• Like 3

The new intro of Better was just awesome, the solo's were good too, I guess the intro which was played by Robin and Ashba is now played by Fortus and the tone was not that good, Slash should play that.

CD was really good, it now has a better feeling to it.

TIL solo was just meh, Im a big fan of Slash, but well I got used to what Robin and Ashba played. 

I hope to see more CD songs like Madagascar, SOD and TWAT

• Like 1

OK, I've been listening to the album cut of TIL and last night's performance of it repeatedly for the past couple of hours or so, and my estimation of Slash's solo has really gone up. I still don't feel any great emotion for his Better solo, but seeing him play the TIL solo on @SONOFABITCH's great video, and looking at Axl gazing upon Slash in awe just adds that little bit of magic. Will be interesting to see if/how it changes throughout the tour.

My dream for any release of the Chinese Leftovers is to have both Slash's and Finck/Bucket's takes on them; I imagine for the main release they'd want to go with any versions with Slash and Duff on them, but with digital distribution they could release a Digital Deluxe Edition with a bonus "CD" of the Finck/Bucket versions.

4 minutes ago, Hollywood Zombie said:

I can hope for Slash to play on Sorry and scraped.. 

Playing Sorry would be weird.....

If they play Sorry then they should play Crucify the dead and You're A Lie. 

CD - that is hands down the best the intro has sounded. The song sounds infinitely more agressive and raw this way and it fits the tune. Slash pulled a Bruce Kulick on this one. When Bruce joined KISS, he only took the main melodic ideas from Ace's solos and made up his own. That seems to be exactly what Slash did here. It was like he took Robin's solo and just filled it in a bit. It sounded great - both making it Slash's own while staying true to the song. It's funny seeing Richard play the old Bucket/Bumble solo but he did a fine job.

Better - new intro is cool. It doesn't change the song all that much though since they go back to the falsetto vocals after it. From there it was business as usual. I definitely like the raw approach again. Slash doing his own thing over the chromatic part and Richard taking the sweeping bits was fine. Slash's "Robin" solo here was pretty but I'm quite partial to what Robin did.

TIL seemed totally improvised whereas I can see the planning on Better and CD. I think that's why some will like it and some won't and I'm sure Slash will settle on something as the shows go on. Personally? I loved it, but then I also love Robin's original. It's different, but not bad.