Slash's take on CD songs

I feel all 3 songs have NEVER sounded better. They sound like the belong with the others a little more now, especially TIL. Robin did a great solo on that song, I agree. But I feel slash is making it better. Even CD sounded more like Guns n roses than it ever did in the past. But having said that, it's the weakest song in the set so far. I would drop it in favor of another illusion cut or catcher or TWAT.

'I wish Slash would have played the solos like they were on the album. Robin played Slash's solos similar to the way they were recorded. Slash should have done the same for his. As far as everything else they sound better.

15 minutes ago, moreblack said:

They're all better now

They're not better. Slash's solos might be sweet but they aren't the same.

6 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Not a fan for the most part. 

CD was the best of the bunch IMO. I didn't like how Slash kept going with the main riff under the verse, I thought it all sounded too similar - would've preferred Fortus doing BBF's riffing, or just the synths like in 2001. Otherwise no complaints here though, Slash's solo was fine, and the intro sounded fucking mean with him on that riff. Probably the heaviest version of CD yet.

TIL did absolutely nothing for me, I thought Slash's solo was awful. It was like one long run-on thought, it had no direction and was just pure noodling. I'll give him a few shows to try and come up with his own take on it, but so far I'm not impressed. Bring on the flamers, but I thought it was almost as bad as one of the better Ashba TIL solos.

Better was...eh. Again, nothing but noodling on the outro solo, not a fan when Robin essentially wrote the perfect solo for it. I didn't like the new intro either, I always dug that poppy vibe of the original intro. Other than those two complaints I thought it was okay though. 

100% agree there. The short leads on SCOM sounded fresher than they have in years, from either GN'R or the Conspirators. 

You guys need to stop analyzing these songs in a vacuum.  At the show, like WHEN YOU ARE THERE, everything sounded great.  These guys are playing for the crowd in front of them, not the youtube critics.  It's rock n roll and it sounded awesome.  Every. Song. 

• Like 1

His takes on them have been great. He does borrow from the already damn good guitar solos, but just makes them sound like his own. You can't shit talk the previous solos, they were great pieces of guitar work.

56 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I feel all 3 songs have NEVER sounded better. They sound like the belong with the others a little more now, especially TIL. Robin did a great solo on that song, I agree. But I feel slash is making it better. Even CD sounded more like Guns n roses than it ever did in the past. But having said that, it's the weakest song in the set so far. I would drop it in favor of another illusion cut or catcher or TWAT.

In terms of crowd acceptance, that was the best reception I've ever heard a 3 Chinese Democracy era songs get at one show

5 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

I'm still in awe of Slash playing Chinese Democracy material.

Me too. I was honestly surprised as hell when I heard they played CD songs.

I liked them all. They came off much better than I expected. I think Slash will figure out a groove once he plays them live more. 

31 minutes ago, Kaneda said:

You guys need to stop analyzing these songs in a vacuum.  At the show, like WHEN YOU ARE THERE, everything sounded great.  These guys are playing for the crowd in front of them, not the youtube critics.  It's rock n roll and it sounded awesome.  Every. Song. 

Oh, give me a break. The topic at hand is discussing how we feel about Slash's take on the CD songs. I gave my opinion, and that's that he did some stuff well and some stuff not so well. And if you don't think we should be discussing this topic unless we were actually at the gig, then we may as well lock this thread because, while we had a huge number of forum members at the gig last night, it still only accounts for a fraction of a percent of our user base. Besides, I am a paying customer for this tour, I just haven't seen my gig yet. I see no problem with saying I hope they can iron a few things out on these songs. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

I love people saying how much better CD material is now. It hasn't made leaps in how good it is, the songs they are playing were already good, you just have Slash's backup on admitting it.

I can't wait until they release their next album with some CD-era material on it. People will just eat it up, even if a lot of it originated with what many of them would call Axl's solo band, lol. In fact, i think it goes to show that many people didn't accept CD, not because of the music, but because of who wrote it. I suspect people will begin to open up to CD now that Slash and Duff are on board and playing some of the songs.

The ONLY complaint I have is that I LOVE the solo in Better before the na na na na's. Don't remember who did it right now, but I think it's a Robin solo. That solo fits the song perfectly in my opinion, and I hope it gets to the point where the "main ideas" stay the same, with slight "Slashifications" to bridge those main ideas together.

I really don't like much about studio CD.... the only thing I was ever really partial to was Robin's solo in Better -- I always liked that one. That said, the Chinese Democracy intro as Slash plays it is awesome....

But intro wise, more importantly, that Better intro was really cool! The hell did that come from? I couldn't quite figure out what was Slash and co and what was Melissa... but it was awesome. Especially the part right before the vocals.... they should do a whole song like that. Kinda eery and atmospheric. Meanwhile, I don't think I'll ever get into TIL... so dramatic haha. I did appreciate Axl's passion when he sang it yesterday, though.

Unsurprisingly, all 3 benefit from less guitar and more groovin'.

Edited by Ant

16 hours ago, supercool said:
17 hours ago, spliff said:

this guys got the best quality

pretty good job

Ahah, I love this! i also like to think that at 3:07 when the camera turns to Axl, his thinking "Hurm, that's all well and good Slash... but it's not exactly as I wanted it... hurm hurm.." :D

10 hours ago, StoneTempleRoses said:

Robin played Slash's solos similar to the way they were recorded.

I'm a huge Robin fan but that's just not true :P

Slash shreds more than Robin did in CD and Better. It's not the same but it's cool. And I like how Slash seems to just completely improvise TIL every night. More genuine than Ashba

7 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Last night, Slash and this line-up legitimized those songs, tonight and onward will further cement this. I'm looking forward to the CD Remix. I thought the solo in This I Love was transcendental and the new Better style, particularly the intro, is kick-fucking-ass and suites GNR much more

They were already legitimate. 

• Like 1

I really like their raw version of Chinese Democracy.

The new Better intro is seriously badass also. At first I wasn't sure if it fit the song, but I think I could get used to it. Slash's solo could be better and I hope he improves it. Overall I like the new version of the song though. It's at least better than that emo version by Ashba that was supposed to be on the remix-album. 

This I love is very different. The whole mood of the song feels different and much darker because of the new solo.  Not bad at all.

I think I prefer the original versions of Better and TIL, but these new versions are very cool also. When you're used to a specific solo on a song, it can be hard to accept a different solo. But I guess it's a good idea to just try to forget how the song is supposed to sound like and listen to these more like a you listen to a brand new song.