Slash's take on CD songs

CD: for the most part he sounds awesome, but i really don't like when he goes on an on during the final verses... it's out of place. Still his guitar tone adds a little more raw feel to the CD songs and it sounds more similar to the 2001-02 versions

Better: With this intro (from a Robin solo lol) song is much much better and mean.... If it comes out in this form in2006 then it could be considered as a new classic.  Slash did a nice job here and this song is probably the only one where i can truly enjoy all of his takes ( I'm talking about the CD songs, not the originals :lol: ) He fuckin' nails everything aside CD songs

TIL: well, not much can be said, he does an ok job and i always imagined him playing the TIL solo on the record, too bad that he changed it, i really thought that Robin's take on that solo is the closest that he can come to Slash territory.

TWAT: we will see,from what i can teel the soundchecks the song could work, but Slash needs to work more on those solos or let 4tus handle them

Overall, when he plays rhythm sections, he nails it and i really really like his tone. 

It seems that a Slash/4tus guitar section works, big time. Wish you were here was great and you can tell that Richard enjoy the hell out of every moment. On Layla Slash messed some parts, though

Edited by Strange Broue

CD: Very good, he stays on Robin solo and he adds some good licks
TIL: Starts good but gets lost after
Better: GOOD LORD NOPE

Fact is, his takes on those solo are really good as improvisations, but for being solid and definitive...he REALLY has to work on them.

Love the opening riff on CD, the intro has never sounded better live IMO. Very glad that they've stripped it down with the instrumental intro and just goes with Slash riffing it up. Undecided on Better and TIL, A MIllion times better than Ashba at least. :P

Really looking forward hearing TWAT!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmapelian said:

they seem to get much more love from the audience than they ever did with any of the nuGuns lineups

I think that has a lot to do with the fact that the Arena was packed with die hards so more people probably knew the songs than usual. There weren't many casual fans in that building this weekend ;)

• Like 1

Really like Slash's take on all the solos. I think the second half of TIL could use some more structure, but the first half is great. And I really like his solo on Better. He's fucking Slash, he shouldn't be playing other guitarists solos note-for-note.

22 hours ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

It's always hard to try and recreate someone else's work....Finck & Buckethead are very talented guitar players

Slash killed it though

fink doesn't play a single right tune on many guns songs...remember how he killed SCOM solo?...total fiasco. he's so cool, good mood, etc., but he's so slow hand to play some songs, he doesn't fit right in GUNS. I'm glad he's out.

I'm glad that we finally have a Chinese Democracy Live version with the right timing on the intro riff. In the past it was always too fast, now it's right on the beat. That was the only thing that bothered me with Ashba, but I guess it's easier if you have a drummer on the intro setting the rhythm.

20 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Really like Slash's take on all the solos. I think the second half of TIL could use some more structure, but the first half is great. And I really like his solo on Better. He's fucking Slash, he shouldn't be playing other guitarists solos note-for-note.

I agree, but it should sort of follow the same structure. Like the outro of Better, Robin wrote this awesome, soulful solo, and Slash came in and he's just like "nah...fuck that, I'm gonna shred". It doesn't fit the song as well.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I agree, but it should sort of follow the same structure. Like the outro of Better, Robin wrote this awesome, soulful solo, and Slash came in and he's just like "nah...fuck that, I'm gonna shred". It doesn't fit the song as well.

Nah, I like it. It's only because of what you're used to hearing that it sounds out of place. But then, I liked Robin's SCOM solo, so who am I to judge? I just like it when a guitarist is original and plays something their own way. It's so boring when they copy someone else note-for-note.

Let me start by saying I LOVE the solos in "This I Love" and "Better." Finck is brilliant on the record.

But, man, Slash's "This I Love" was fucking awesome.

I get why people wouldn't like it over the original because it's so embedded in our minds/ears now. It's like what others have said, hearing Finck do Slash's solos on the older material was a shock or people didn't like it as much. I can see why the reverse is true here.

Forgot to mention: Duff's backing vocals. God, I missed them so much. I love them on "Chinese" and "Better." So awesome. 

Edited by GnR Chris

Man, if some(few) are unhappy with Slash's take, and they want Izzy back, just think what he would do to the songs. 

Really, they're the CD songs. The success of the set does not hinge on how those are played.

Edited by moreblack

5 hours ago, Torb said:

CD: Very good, he stays on Robin solo and he adds some good licks
TIL: Starts good but gets lost after
Better: GOOD LORD NOPE

Fact is, his takes on those solo are really good as improvisations, but for being solid and definitive...he REALLY has to work on them.

I don't think it's fair to really compare live improvisations to recorded songs. If he sat down and re-recorded it then he'd add more melody to it.

26 minutes ago, Scumcat Esq. said:

I like Slash's take on the solo in Chinese Democracy and his second solo in Better.
I'm still puzzled with the solo he came up with for This I Love. It just doesn't match the song.

for me it's the other way around: i like what he's doing on "this i love" but i'm skeptical about "better".

5 minutes ago, supercool said:

for me it's the other way around: i like what he's doing on "this i love" but i'm skeptical about "better".

I was at the Friday show and thought Slash did an amazing job on CD and on TIL.  Better was not quite like Robin's original on the second solo, but it still sounded awesome and was very Guns-like.  Ashba could never play Better even close, so this was a nice change.  I hadn't seen that song performed in a way I liked since the last 2006 show that I went to with Robin.  By the way, what no one mentions is how awesome Richard was.  Dude is an amazing player.

The songs are still not perfect. With Izzy in the background/Studio + matt/sorum these Songs would sound even more bluesy, raw and round. But my biggest Problem with CD songs is: they are too damn high for axls voice...he is so good on songs like nightrain, don't cry, etc...cause he can sing them in a much deeper voice. This I love is annoying because of the high notes imo.

Edited by maxpax

8 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

I really like their raw version of Chinese Democracy.

The new Better intro is seriously badass also. At first I wasn't sure if it fit the song, but I think I could get used to it. Slash's solo could be better and I hope he improves it. Overall I like the new version of the song though. It's at least better than that emo version by Ashba that was supposed to be on the remix-album. 

This I love is very different. The whole mood of the song feels different and much darker because of the new solo.  Not bad at all.

I think I prefer the original versions of Better and TIL, but these new versions are very cool also. When you're used to a specific solo on a song, it can be hard to accept a different solo. But I guess it's a good idea to just try to forget how the song is supposed to sound like and listen to these more like a you listen to a brand new song.

The new intro for Better reminds me of Headspace by VR.

CD is great with that new rawness

Slash's take on Better's solo is really good but hands down, Robin's original is awesome. 

TIL... WTF?! THAT SOLO IS GORGEOUS! It blew me out of my mind when he played in the first Vegas show. What an amazing peace of art. 

Robin's original is good. It's truly "Slash-like", but then Slash came out and showed the world what it's like to be the master. An enormous victory on stage. That one gave me goosebumps, really.

I hope they keep playing it and Slash doesn't change the way he plays it.

3 hours ago, Axl owns dexter said:

I don't think it's fair to really compare live improvisations to recorded songs. If he sat down and re-recorded it then he'd add more melody to it.

Yeah, but DJ did a better job on that solo imho