Stage setup and visuals

Anybody else is digging the visuals that they did for this tour? During previous nuGuns tours there were always some cheesy-ass graphics and random girl videos, but I really like the production on this one. The highlight for me is definitely WTTJ with the flashing tv screens and AFD skulls, the giant red hands during Chinese and the pulse in Coma is a nice touch too!

• Like 2

its LESS WORSE than axl solo era

BUT its actually very unnecessary

the pyro is fucking annoying

this stage bullshit has nothing to do with GNR

it fits shitty bands like U2 and MotleyCRue

GNR is 5 guys playing rock n roll

The best band ever without ANY of this crap

The only thing GNR needs as stage apparel is the five guys on stage

and a BIG screen that shows them playing in HUGE size so those in audience that are not close to the stage can get to see them

all the rest --including the keybooard players, and all the axl solo-era players -- are completely and utterly unnecessary

if you get axl, izzy, slash, duff and steven onstage you can throw shit all over them and they will still be the best band ever

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

Agreed. At one point when they were going off like crazy my cousin (who loved the show) looked at me and said, "well that was completely unnecessary".

Other than that, I didn't really pay much attention to the visuals and effects to be honest. My focus was mainly on Axl, Slash and Duff...  Or the big screen during Slash's solos.

I liked the nighrain speedin' highway..... if I really judge it, it's probably a little cheesy haha. But I thought it was cool... some of the backgrounds were more generic than others.

The pyro is fine to me, but please God no dancers and super cheese visuals maintaining on the big screen all tour. I have a feeling though that they will make it to the tour. Skeletons fuckings, female reproductive parts flying on screen during Pink Floyd covers... I know they probably think it's hilarious, but it kinda makes me cringe and might come off super odd to some people. I just want rock and roll. I'm fine with mega screens off to the side that show the band and the occasional visual like during the intros to It's So Easy, Jungle, etc. I don't need to see a random woman and pretty looking visuals during This I Love. It's just sort of whimpy. But... this is the band that made the Estranged video.

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

its LESS WORSE than axl solo era

BUT its actually very unnecessary

this stage bullshit has nothing to do with GNR

it fits shitty bands like U2 and MotleyCRue

GNR is 5 guys playing rock n roll

The best band ever without ANY of this crap

The only thing GNR needs as stage apparel is the five guys on stage

and a BIG screen that shows them playing in HUGE size so those in audience that are not close to the stage can get to see them

all the rest --including the keybooard players, and all the axl solo-era players -- are completely and utterly unnecessary

if you get axl, izzy, slash, duff and steven onstage you can throw shit all over them and they will still be the best band ever

I agree. No gimmicks needed at a GNR concert.

3 minutes ago, War2k14 said:

I wish they would just use it as a live video screen so everybody in the arena would be able to see the show better.  Some of it is cool but most of it is very repetitive.  

No! The lady next to me thought Axl was lip syncing bc the big video screen was half a second off. 

• Like 1

big screens are great. as for the content:
showing in real time the band members - that's great, good camera work.
animation segments are however not as good quality. some of it is like screen savers from 1999. checkout Stones or AC/DC animations.
BTW, they had a huge screen (among the first bands) on UYI tour, in Tokyo where else, only the graphics were rather simple (ascii letters).

dancing girls are as part of GnR iconography as sculls and booze. they belong there. sometimes we only see silhouettes dancing against the big screen, it's like James Bond intro sequence in real life. A+

pyro - I hate that puff/explosion sound, it completely overwrites the band, plus it may be a distraction for them. it's like when you see a prop (a mike for example) in a movie, it throws you out of the picture.
edit: in the early 80s when pyro was all the rage, there were no big screens, so fire or explosion served the purpose to make the stage more visually appealing, dynamic. nowadays we have fucking big screens flashing images with 26 mil colors, in a matter of milliseconds...
Edited by Colossus of Rhodes

As someone who has a task to sometimes scout bands and to look at their stage set up too I can tell you that there are many many bands which play in 500-2k venues with better looking production on stage. It's just bad, the only good part is when they show live video on that big screen because of the good camera work. Pyro is also over the top, it works on Live and Let Die and during November Rain solo and that's it. 

Like it or not, GN'R evolved into an arena/stadium rock band with UYI.

Some of the visuals are cool (WTTJ, Coma) and some are outright horrible, like the skeleton sex during RQ or the randomly spinning skull with a seizure during PC.

The dancers are also lame.

Edited by Bumble's Bridge Pickup

Good Topic!

I loved some of the visuals, especially Coma, it was perfect if you ask me. When that middle section hit on the first night and the green lazers fired out and everything went blue-green was unreal! But the timing of it was totally off on the second night. I thought that the pulses were well timed and struck with the bass drum in some sections really seamlessly, making me think that they had those parts triggered from the Bass Drum pedal itself.... cool shit.... just that the lighting guys & choreography/timing needs some work on the back end....

All in all i love the lighting and backdrops.... Nightrain was also fantastically produced and choreographed..... those crappy skeletons on RQ looked really shitty though, sorry but that was cheesy AF.... they don't look very good if you ask me... too blocky and not fluid enough....

Also on the drum riser you can see parts of the video screen so i think when Axl leaves the throne we will see the full effect of what was intended.

I enjoy the grandeur of Guns' approach, it's always been a great rock n roll show! I didn't think that the dancers in the background were necessary, but the hot waitress/nurse bringing stuff to King Axl was a cool touch.

Pyro is definitely something that is both awesome to experience but still a tad annoying.

What a badass stage show they put on though. very well put together, they just need to iron out a few bits and fire the spotlight guys...... ha ha \m/

Edited by Shaolin Punk
  • Like 1

They should replace the skeleton sex with x-rays of Axl's foot. :lol:

Some of the graphics were ok. The red words flashing through behind Coma (GNR/Duff/Axl/Slash/1989), for example (still trying to figure out the significance of the numbers on the left side. Any ideas? It went so fast that none of them really "stuck.") The falling bullets & rose petals was kind of cool. And any time they used versions of the logo.

The random girl on TIL is confusing (but better than in previous years with the ballet dancers). I agree that a lot of the rest looked like weird screen savers. The heads/skulls mainly. The graphics looked kind of amateur on those.

Were the live dancers out on any other song besides RQ? I never noticed them otherwise. They were easy enough to ignore.

Pyro in and of itself doesn't bug me, but when it feels offbeat or like it causes a drag in the song, then it's annoying and loses its impact.