Coma: Slash and Axl's masterpiece?

Coma is amazing, both Axl's and Slash's work on in is unbelievable. I just remembered funny story - 8 years ago, when I was rehearsing with my very first band, I pushed others very hard to jam on the coma riff and also some of the verses. We never got even close to playing the complete version but it still was one of the first 3 or so songs I've ever rehearsed with a band, lol. 

Absolutely. Watching it so many times during weekend just reminded me how amazing this song is. Lyrically genius, atmospheric, calm and heavy as fuck at the same time.

GNR at their most progressive rock-esque.

Edited by IkaruFunk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

Any of you guys agree? Seeing it live really brought home just what a powerhouse it is. 

It is their masterpiece.  It's where I got my username from.  I love the story behind Axl struggling to get the lyrics done for the song.  Slash's music on the song is absolutely amazing.  I believe Axl says he sat on the music for a while, struggling to figure out lyrics for it.  Eventually though, he got those lyrics done, and they match the quality of the music.  Arguably their best song IMO.  Certainly it's arguably their best "deep cut" song

I view this and Estranged as two prime examples of the magic that comes from Axl and Slash.  Love those guys.  Warms my heart to see them cool with each other

I love the sort of "I'm on my way out of here and don't have a care in the world" sound behind Axl's voice when he says "Live your life like it's a coma..." at the beginning of the end of the song

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 2

I agree that Coma is a masterpiece. The ominous opening bass line sets the mood from the get-go. It's unsettling, which is right where you should be, listening to this song. The combination of Axl's lyrics and vocals take you through the whole emotional gamut -- frustration, anger, bewilderment, loneliness, resignation, peace, and the music is the vehicle that transports you through this journey. Then, just when you're lulled into a dreamlike state, you're shocked back alive into that furious ending. It's more than a song, really; it's an experience. So many levels musically, emotionally, lyrically, so much nuance. It's one I can listen to over and over again and not grow tired of because there's always something new to appreciate. I never thought we'd hear it live again, so to see the vids from this past weekend is just incredible.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

where did coma sound better? first or seconds night?

From the Streams i'd say the second night was better all round as Axl didn't quite nail the second verse(key-wise) on the first night.... but then i'd say that when the middle section hit on the first night the lighting crew got the 'fade to green' spot on, there's a vid where you see the lights like a lazer right at the correct moment.... second night they missed it.... but that's light and not sound..... Both middle sections were mesmerizing!

Guitar-wise Slash nailed it all, Frank blammed it(prop's to that guy!), Duff nailed it and So did Fortus (except that on the second night he did mess a couple of chords in the coda)... and on the second night i think Axl just rammed that sh%t home big time.... there's just no room for breathing at the end!! Both were badassery incarnate.

In the Top 3 Guns tunes in my opinion.... I had the lyrics to this written on my wall when i was a kid.... ha ha \m/

Edited by Shaolin Punk

It's an amazing song, just like Locomotive.  These songs include Axl's best lyrics and Slash's greatest guitar parts ever written.  At least for me.

Coma is probably the last song I would have expected them to perform.  It's a nice surprise, and it looks like it could be a staple.

• Like 1

Yes. 

Actually there are good reasons to argue that this is a masterpiece, even if you are not especially a fan of the song: its structure is musically very complex and unusual, as was explained to me recently: the last chord sequence is cycling through different keys, The chords are in the same order, yet every time they play through them, they start on a different root note.